#101 ScarecrowES

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:56 PM

View PostGarfuncle, on 07 July 2016 - 06:52 PM, said:

All arguments based on the current meta of high alphas will be moot when power draw is introduced.

For all we know with its speed and armor it could be an amazing clan heavy when one can't alpha past 30 damage without incurring the wrath of global ghost heat.

We shouldn't get it too twisted though... we're still talking about being able to use builds that put the Linebacker on par with many of its contemporaries. You'll be able to run a Butterbee, for instance. A bit hotter, yeah, but a lot faster too, so you can dip in and out of combat at your leisure. 70-point alphas are still entirely possible in the Linebacker in ways that avoid ghost heat under the current system.

#102 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:50 PM

Let me tell you one thing.

Its OK if you are buying the mech for its design.

But if you buy mechs based on performance (and you paid 50$ to get the less useless variants) Please note:

Only 17.5 tons pod space
Can not be a ninja (no JJ, no ECM, too large)

I can almost see the forums in november. its gonna be full of frustrated buyers asking for buffs to this mech while trying so hard to stay polite and rational.
Let me answer to those threads now:

NO... you should have thought of that before!... now enjoy your 65 ton jenner-IIC with no JJs

#103 jjm1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:57 PM

I want.

It looks awesome and its fast.

#104 topgun505

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:57 PM

Being a light pilot, I do lean towards faster mechs if I have to pilot something outside of the light class. So, the speed of this thing appeals to me. But the lack of JJs on any of the variants kind of kills this thing for me. I tend to use mobility for all it's worth and the lack of jets just limits its mobility for my tastes.

#105 Isolani

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:21 PM

I'll probably get the $20 pack just because I like how it looks.

#106 Walsung

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:34 PM

power creep, ptw ? not on this mech
(or the recent PHX, maybe only 2 of the last 9 mechs really kodiak and maybe night gyr but hard to say on that one)

low mounts, hard point starved no special equipment and pushed off the efficiency curve by its engine.

i got burnt hard enough with the PHX so no thank -you

#107 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:39 PM

It looks fantastic, but its unlikely to be a very good mech.

I have no problem with adding mechs like that, but it should be pointed out so everyone is on the same page.

#108 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:37 PM

DOA.

#109 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:38 AM

It looks so good I was tempted for about 0.7 seconds to buy my first clan mech.

#110 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:32 AM

View PostGarfuncle, on 07 July 2016 - 06:52 PM, said:

All arguments based on the current meta of high alphas will be moot when power draw is introduced.

For all we know with its speed and armor it could be an amazing clan heavy when one can't alpha past 30 damage without incurring the wrath of global ghost heat.

Indeed because suddenly 17.5 tons of weaponry on a heavy mech will become good...

It will still be underarmed regardless of what changes happen.

#111 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:02 AM

View PostProcurator Derek, on 07 July 2016 - 10:04 AM, said:

Some things to know about the Preorder and Linebacker:

- It is not fully armored, .5 tons required for full armor

- 17.5 tons of pod space when all weapons are removed (Thanks for fix Scarecrow)

-Fastest Heavy Clan (or overall) to be in-game as of now

- Hard point starved in first 3 variants, Hero and Reinforcements help counter this

-Locked Heatsinks in engine (I believe)

- 1st 3 variants are more than likely to be quirked to counter hardpoint starvation

Worth a buy? Maybe, if you want a bigger streakcrow or just a fast clan heavy all in all.

I hope PGI hurries wiht the special variants being repaintable, I don'T like those camos, but the emch is nice so far. the sped will make it a nice laservomit peek a poo mech.

Edited by Lily from animove, 08 July 2016 - 02:02 AM.

#112 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:42 AM

I don't even see a reason to get it for cbills.

#113 Lupus Aurelius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 509 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Outreach

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:55 AM

Posted Image

The name for the OmniMech comes from the Linebacker's hunched appearance, which resembles players of ancient American Football.

The above is the original artwork for the linebacker. And yet again, PGI messes with the model to it's detriment. The PGI model for the linebacker is too tall, same as the Ebon Jaguar.
Posted Image
Both are supposed to be low, hunched over mechs, Instead, it's tall, probably the same height as the Timberwolf. It was the low profile of these mechs that helped to make them effective. Since the rescale, EBJ is as tall as the Timberwolf, and all indications are that the Linebacker will be as well.

I for one will not be buying this, regardless of it's speed or armor, because one of the major features of this mech has yet again been pre-nerfed by PGI.

Edited by Lupus Aurelius, 08 July 2016 - 09:56 AM.

#114 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:06 AM

I need Russ it insult us some more before I spend any more money here.

Not really. That's what stopped me in the first place.

#115 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:48 AM

View PostLupus Aurelius, on 08 July 2016 - 09:55 AM, said:

Posted Image

The above is the original artwork for the linebacker. And yet again, PGI messes with the model to it's detriment. The PGI model for the linebacker is too tall, same as the Ebon Jaguar.
Posted Image
Both are supposed to be low, hunched over mechs, Instead, it's tall, probably the same height as the Timberwolf. It was the low profile of these mechs that helped to make them effective. Since the rescale, EBJ is as tall as the Timberwolf, and all indications are that the Linebacker will be as well.

I for one will not be buying this, regardless of it's speed or armor, because one of the major features of this mech has yet again been pre-nerfed by PGI.

The current scaling has the EBJ only slightly taller than the Catapult overall. Torso height on the Catapult is about 12.5m, while the EBJ is about 13m. The torso on the Timberwolf is 14m, with an overall height of almost 16m. The EBJ sits much closer to the current smallest 65-tonner than it does to the 75-ton Timberwolf.

Given the way the Linebacker is built, with a very dense, tight torso and not much volume tied up in its arms, volumetric scaling would put this mech right around where the Catapult is. Maybe a little larger or smaller - but definitely smaller than the EBJ, which has a much looser body distribution.

Now, as to WHY the Linebacker is taller - and for that matter the EBJ and Nova as well... and why the Bushwacker would also be taller - in the TT art for those mechs, they have no hips and are completely unable to torso twist. For MWO though, they DO have hips and CAN torso twist, which necessitates they be taller to accomodate this new functionality. Would you prefer they be smaller and not be able to twist? As that's the only way they could be any smaller than they are. And in terms of size, these mechs are already among the smallest in their respective classes.

#116 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:41 PM

Oh wait, there's more, would you rather prefer the Charger, perhaps?

Actually, yes. It has some decent variants, excellent engine caps and even a jump capable option or two.

I would definitely prefer the Charger.

#117 Chuanhao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 520 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:07 PM

At the end, the linebacker is going to be a much more niche buy as it trades off weaponry for speed.

At the 65 ton category, we have the hell bringer which favours electronics, and the jaguar which favours weaponry. So it's different strokes for different folks.

If PGI is going to just release mechs that just look different but not play different, then this game is really doomed.

Hence I appreciate that they did not do a Gyr clone in the nova cat, and go for something more risky like the linebacker.

And the charger would be another good fit, favoring armour and speed over weaponry, a bit like the IS version of Gargles.

If game play is not evolving, at least the selection of mechs is.

But that can only go so far however,

We still need SOlARIS.

#118 Quaamik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 413 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:05 PM

I like it and will probably buy it.

Do I expect it to be the next tier 1 dominant mech, the mech that will let you waltz through matches doing 1000+ damage without trying, the mech that everyone cries if OP when its released? NO. And I hope we never have another release like that.

I like the "fast heavy" bit. Sure, JJs, MASC and ECM would be better. But as is it will have the speed to exploit shifts in the line, flank and catch enemy mechs out of position. It has enough pod space to mount some long ranged weapons (speed plus long range lets you hit from where the enemy doesn't expect). And when it shows up in the enemies rear along with another fast mech, and the enemy assumes its a medium because of the speed and position, boy will they have a surprise.

#119 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:35 PM

View PostQuaamik, on 08 July 2016 - 06:05 PM, said:

Do I expect it to be the next tier 1 dominant mech, the mech that will let you waltz through matches doing 1000+ damage without trying...

As a counterpoint to this statement... and I know your intent wasn't really to put down the Linebacker, but to actually say something akin to "it's ok to be mediocre"... so this is not directed at you, per se, but toward this general sentiment about the Backer...

I took my Catapult Butterbee out tonight, which has 4xSRM6+A and 4xML with 4xDHS, a 300XL engine, and as many tons of ammo for the SRMs I can carry (6 I think). This one tops out in the low 80's for speed and has a 71pt damage rating with a 1.17 heat scale.

My Last game I did nearly 800 damage, 4 kills, with 2 solos and 3 KMDDs. But in fairness, I rarely have a bad game in the Butterbee, and this one wasn't that exceptional - I've had better.

You can build a nearly identical build on the Linebacker... 4xSRM6+A and 4xERSL (same damage as IS ML but reduced range - also reduced heat) with 4xDHS, a 390XL engine, and as many tons of ammo for the SRMs you can carry (5 I think). This one tops out in the low 100's for speed, has a 68pt damage rating (Clan SRMs lose some damage to IS SRMs) and I estimate it will be a 1.24 heat scale.

The Linebacker runs the same build that results in consistent high damage output and good kill ratios on what is arguably the best missile-based Cataput there is. BUT... it runs 20kph faster, has better agility, runs cooler, has lower arm actuators, and features a more robust Clan XL engine - for that it trades about, what, 50m range on the lasers?

I may be about the only one on these forums to think so, but I don't believe the Linebacker is going to have any problem raking in good match scores.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users