35 replies to this topic

#1 captain towels

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 10:30 AM

Hi There,

I'm new to the game and have just finished my first 25 games with the trial mechs. I'm currently split between picking up an Ebon Jaguar or a Timber wolf as my first 'mech and wanted your opinions on the two chassis.

Most likely going to build something with medium lasers and a couple of LRM's but would like to have a versatile chassis I can change up when I get bored.

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:02 AM

Either will work. Both are extremely flexible mechs able to do pretty much anything. The TBR is a bit tougher, the EBJ able to pack slightly more weaponry into a lighter chassis.

#3 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:14 AM

I heard Ebon Jaguar's tonnage makes it more cw fw friendly

#4 Dandred

• PipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:14 AM

I think you'll get the most bang for the buck from the Timberwolf.

The TBR-S pods will let you use jump jets and multiple launchers, which is good for harassment and DPS. The Timberwolf's heavier armor is more forgiving, although it's taller profile is easier to spot.

The Jaguar leans heavily on the clans ranged and maneuvering advantages which can be challenging for newer pilots. Although the EBJ is my current favorite mech, it can be difficult to use correctly.

Be sure to check out some Youtube vids of each, and welcome to MWO.

#5 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:17 AM

Both are good mechs.

Timbers are thought of as a little better, and will usually be prioritized over the Ebon by opponents. The Timber also has JJs and Lower arm actuators, while the EBJ doesn't. The EBJ can actually fit just as many to more weapons on it with the available weight and slots at a slightly lower weight (important for group queue or in Faction where weight limits come into play).

My drop decks for Faction when on a clan contract pretty much look like this: 1 TBR, 2 EBJs, 1 SHC or 1TBR, 1EBJ, 1MDD, 1SHC, or 2TBRs, 1EBJ, 1 ACH

Edited by Digital_Angel, 07 July 2016 - 11:20 AM.

#6 wikifido

• Pip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:18 AM

I am still pretty new, but the Ebon Jag would definitely be my recommendation as I learned on it pretty well.

In contrast to what Dandred said above, the TBR is taller. However the Ebon Jag is very very wide, I feel as though it took a lot more body/core damage than my Riflema does (though it's about on par with the Marauder)

In the end since they are both OmniMechs I personally thing either is good to learn on because you have the modularity to easily try other setups.

#7 captain towels

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:57 AM

Thanks for the advice, I guess the only thing that might swing it might be the jump jets. Do you find they help a lot or just stop you falling and taking damage?

#8 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 750 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:03 PM

As a new pilot I think you will benefit for trying both, but since you want opinions, take one from a mediocre pilot (that'd be me) because it will be closer to your own impressions for the game. EBJ is much better for starting people; it gets less focused, can mount just as many different loadouts and it is more durable (timby seems to get its CT opened after 2 seconds). I honestly never was able to get good mileage of Timbys, much as I wanted to. Besides EBJ is cheaper since your funds are kinda limited for now.

#9 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:07 PM

View Postcaptain towels, on 07 July 2016 - 11:57 AM, said:

Thanks for the advice, I guess the only thing that might swing it might be the jump jets. Do you find they help a lot or just stop you falling and taking damage?

For what the Timber has available (the S center and side torsos), it can help on some maps, but it will never come close to the jumping ability of a lot of the lights and mediums. It is enough to be useful on maps like Canyon, but not enough to be useful on maps like Bog except to avoid damage if you drop from somewhere.

Those lower arm actuators and they ability to aim arms side to side can be a big deal at times too. Although it still doesn't have hand actuators, so you only get so much there too.

#10 chucklesMuch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:29 PM

Both are good mechs!

Jaqs are more fragile, have high ST mounts (without neg quirks), don't have JJ but do have a lot of weapon space and in QP, they don't tend get the same 'focused fired' attention as TBR's do. Though in saying that, accurate players will look to shoot your side torsos off you. (left if you are laser boat) as they stick up a lot. And when you first drop in one... be really careful of friendly mechs standing beside you... you are wider than you may think!

I tend to enjoy piloting Jaqs more than TBR's ...but I'm much more likely to drop in TBR's these days as are they are more tanky, have JJ's and work better for me for SRM's/brawling...

Edited by chucklesMuch, 07 July 2016 - 12:30 PM.

#11 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:27 PM

captain towels, I recommend towards the Ebon Jaguar, and against the TimberWolf. :huh:

While one variant of the TimberWolf may have JumpJets, too many parts of the TimberWolf's OmniPods have serious Negative Quirks. Worse, you can't properly swap TimberWolf OmniPods in most cases, because it is almost impossible to avoid being messed up by those Negative Quirks. I wish PGI would finish updating that Mech already and take those Negative Quirks off, because it really doesn't deserve them with its' high physical profile. <_<

Now with the Ebon Jaguar, there isn't any JumpJets on any of its' variants. However, there is an interesting combination of OmniPods, and the fact that the Mech basically has no Quirks on it that you would have to worry about. Heck, combine that with the fact that you can set it up for just about any role during battle, and this Mech really gets the thumbs-up from me. For newer pilots like yourself, I would seriously consider the Ebon Jaguar best as one of your first purchases. ^_^

~Mr. D. V. "there's the rundown on the matter, summarized" Devnull

#12 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:37 PM

View PostDigital_Angel, on 07 July 2016 - 12:07 PM, said:

but not enough to be useful on maps like Bog except to avoid damage if you drop from somewhere.

JJ's not useful on Bog?

How often have you got stuck on the bloody stairs or trees? JJs help big time to scale up to the higher ground ramps rather than taking the tighter/chokes up. Very handy IMO for that map.

Just remember JJs take up cooling tonnage. So usually running 2/3JJs max as I'd rather then extra cooling as end of the day you're a 75T mech, you ain't gonna be flying through the sky.

JJs can have good advantages on some Faction Play maps too, depends what you want really.

View PostD V Devnull, on 07 July 2016 - 01:27 PM, said:

captain towels

While one variant of the TimberWolf may have JumpJets, too many parts of the TimberWolf's OmniPods have serious Negative Quirks. Worse, you can't properly swap TimberWolf OmniPods in most cases, because it is almost impossible to avoid being messed up by those Negative Quirks. I wish PGI would finish updating that Mech already and take those Negative Quirks off, because it really doesn't deserve them with its' high physical profile. Posted Image

The major neg quirk that most will suffer from is the A-Left torso with the 3 high energy mounts for LPL/ERL poke.

Otherwise you can literally build any other TBR you want, with almost any loadout you want - without negative quirks being a problem. Given most want that higher/poke with laser, most suffer. You're not talking massive either, its -10% twist or something ye? I've honestly never been able to tell the difference when running that pod in laser vomit and when not (except the fact you cant poke as hard).

I have UACs/Laser skirmish builds or full SRM/UAC/Laser brawler builds that not one have any negative quirks associated.

#13 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:47 PM

XL375 is such a massive boost that even with nega quirks, your accel/decel is enough to get extremely aggressive pokes out with a laservomit TBR against IS opposition.

Last two FW games I played, my TBR-C put out just as much damage as a higher alpha, much cooler running WHK because I could trade easier. (~800-900 damage)

The RFL-5D and the WHM beat the TBR on this, but then again, they're the only mechs that do that. The RFL is hot and fragile, so that only leaves the WHM as a worthy competitor.

#14 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:59 PM

View PostR31Nismoid, on 07 July 2016 - 04:37 PM, said:

JJ's not useful on Bog?

How often have you got stuck on the bloody stairs or trees? JJs help big time to scale up to the higher ground ramps rather than taking the tighter/chokes up. Very handy IMO for that map.

Just remember JJs take up cooling tonnage. So usually running 2/3JJs max as I'd rather then extra cooling as end of the day you're a 75T mech, you ain't gonna be flying through the sky.

JJs can have good advantages on some Faction Play maps too, depends what you want really.

OK, to clarify: The JJs on the Timber are not enough to let you avoid having to use the stairs. Just because he sees the light and medium JJ mechs going straight up the side of the plateau, don't think that the Timber will be able to do that, even if you max out the JJs.

They are still useful for not getting stuck as much or for jumping/falling off of a rise on bog without taking leg damage in the process.

#15 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:05 PM

If you're going to put LRMs on, I'd strongly recommend the Timberwolf over the Ebon Jaguar. The Ebon typically lacks energy hardpoints in missile boat configurations, although 4E 3M is possible. 5 ERML and 4 LRM10 is a reasonable LRM timby build.

If your plan was lasers + gauss, ebon would be the way to go, ie the trial version.

#16 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 07 July 2016 - 10:32 PM

The Cauldron Born (Ebon Jaguar) can run some missiles, but not all the missiles. That said, I like the hardpoint build options better on it. The Madcat (Timber Wolf) happens to have more armour and can jump, so it's a trade off of a little bit more armour, or a bit more weapon diversity. Not that they aren't both diverse, just, I've found so many more ballistic options with the 65 tonner than the 75.

~Leone.

#17 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,968 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 07 July 2016 - 10:33 PM

captain towels, I recommend towards the Ebon Jaguar, and against the TimberWolf. Posted Image

While one variant of the TimberWolf may have JumpJets, too many parts of the TimberWolf's OmniPods have serious Negative Quirks. Worse, you can't properly swap TimberWolf OmniPods in most cases, because it is almost impossible to avoid being messed up by those Negative Quirks. I wish PGI would finish updating that Mech already and take those Negative Quirks off, because it really doesn't deserve them with its' high physical profile. Posted Image

Er, you mean torso twist angle? Only three omnipods (both S torsos and the A's RT) have negative quirks - basically to pay for significant jump in the number of hardpoints and (where applicable) jump jets. They're kind of a downer, and may be outdated, but they're not terribly constraining like the Stormcrow laser duration quirks were. I hardly notice them.

My criterion for whether I use my Ebon Jaguars or Timber Wolf (or Hellbringer) is more about what role I want to play (and what fits in my Faction Play deck if I'm doing that.) The ebon Jaguars are low and nasty, but it's a little harder to shield my side torsos; so if I'm wanting to get in people's faces and tank damage, I use the Timber Wolf.

In either case, the Timber Wolf has more flexibility, so for quick play I'd recommend it to start, as much as I love my Ebon Jaguars. If you're looking at Faction play, however, just go with whichever one fits your deck. They're both excellent machines.

#18 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:47 AM

View PostDigital_Angel, on 07 July 2016 - 06:59 PM, said:

OK, to clarify: The JJs on the Timber are not enough to let you avoid having to use the stairs. Just because he sees the light and medium JJ mechs going straight up the side of the plateau, don't think that the Timber will be able to do that, even if you max out the JJs.

They are still useful for not getting stuck as much or for jumping/falling off of a rise on bog without taking leg damage in the process.

With max JJs, the TBR felt amazing. Superb height, nice thrust.

I don't run it that way anymore since I needed more torso slots for heatsinks, but damn, it did feel amazing while it lasted.

Almost like the JJ of "the days of old".

(Sure, it's got nothing on a max JJ medium - say, 7 JJ griffin or 8 JJ shadowcat, only "bad" heavies can jump like that - QKD, SMN in the heavy class)

Edited by Keshav Murali, 08 July 2016 - 02:48 AM.

#19 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:06 AM

captain towels, I recommend towards the Ebon Jaguar, and against the TimberWolf. Posted Image

Now with the Ebon Jaguar, there isn't any JumpJets on any of its' variants. However, there is an interesting combination of OmniPods, and the fact that the Mech basically has no Quirks on it that you would have to worry about. Heck, combine that with the fact that you can set it up for just about any role during battle, and this Mech really gets the thumbs-up from me. For newer pilots like yourself, I would seriously consider the Ebon Jaguar best as one of your first purchases. Posted Image

~Mr. D. V. "there's the rundown on the matter, summarized" Devnull

most fo these are negliable there aren't that many negative quirks, and onl the A torsi is having some more but for the hardpoitnlocation they offer its still beast.

#20 Shu Horus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:40 AM

For Starters I would go with the Timby.
Why ?
You can test almost every playstyle with this machine, without having to buy a new Chassis. The versatility of the Timber Wolf is unmatched in this segment.

Yes, the Ebon Jaguar outshines the Timby in some roles, but there is no role the Timber Wolf cannot cover and it is good at every single one.

The Timber Wolf is the best all-round-heavy out there.

Just my humble opinion.

Cheers,
Nuit

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users