Mech Mastery

19 replies to this topic

#1 SPIDYMAN

Rookie

• The Spider's Web
  • The Spider
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:39 PM

so i read taht in order to get to mech mastery you have to get 3 of hte same mechs and use the xp form them to get the different "perks". so once i get mastery i coudl sell all but mechs except the one i want to keep and still have mastery?

#2 Zoeff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 264 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:44 PM

That is correct. Also note that to unlock the Elite tree you need those 3 variants completely basic'd, and to unlock the ability to unlock the mastery slot you need all 3 have the Elite tree filled out.

For future reference, if you are going to master a mech in a weight class where you already have a mastered mech, say you're going to master a timberwolf but you already mastered a hellbringer then all you have to do is get all 3 variants with all basic inefficiencies unlocked to go straight to unlocking the final master module on your favorite variant.

Edited by Zoeff, 07 July 2016 - 06:45 PM.

#3 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:45 PM

Yes. Mech Mastery is essentially a money sink to get you to grind and buy Premium Time. When you sell your mechs you're going to get much less in return.

To be clear you need to buy three variants. (Yes even if they are clan Omnimechs) and master them gaining XP. Champion mechs (bought for real $$$ and/or MC help you gain XP/GXP faster.

Certain attributes you want to unlock first to help them along. Ie. Heat related ones for mechs that run hot. Or braking/acceleration boosts for more agile mechs. Afterwards you can sell the ones you don't need/want any more. Just remember to strip them completely, then sell them.

To sell them, you need to go to the Inventory on the Home Tab, as there is no sell button in the mechlab.

Edited by rolly, 07 July 2016 - 06:50 PM.

#4 SPIDYMAN

Rookie

• The Spider's Web
  • The Spider
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:52 PM

ok got it thanks guys!!

#5 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 07 July 2016 - 10:36 PM

To clarify and further confuse you, one more thing to note is that the 3 Mechs must be different variants, and any letter in brackets is ignored, so for example the JR7-D, and it's special varients the JR7-D(F), JR7-D(S) all use the "skill tree" for the JR7-D, so to master the Jenner you need 3 of the 4 varients, JR7-D, JR7-K, JR7-F or JR7-O, the Jenner IIC is classed as a diferant Mech.

I point out the above because it is not unusual for someone to get one of the special varients then ask where to find the skill tree is only to realise that it does not count as a seporate varient

#6 SPIDYMAN

Rookie

• The Spider's Web
  • The Spider
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:29 PM

ok this is a bit off topic, how does xp and gxp work? if i convert xp to gxp whats the benefit or downfall of it?

#7 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:42 PM

What does it mean when a user's name is highlighted in cyan? I don't think I've seen this before.

#8 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:43 AM

View Post03THEAMAZINGSPIDERMAN, on 07 July 2016 - 11:29 PM, said:

ok this is a bit off topic, how does xp and gxp work? if i convert xp to gxp whats the benefit or downfall of it?

Regular mech xp is used to unlock mech skills.

General XP (GXP) is earned seperately based on the XP you earn, at only 2,5% of the XP (or was it 5%?). So it's rather rare to get.

In the section with skills there is also a button that will take you to Pilot Skills. These can only be unlocked with GXP.

So while GXP can be used to unlock both Mech skills and Pilot skills it should only ever be used to unlock Pilot Skills (unless you are one of those people who has played so much that they've unlocked all Pilot Skills).

View PostAppogee, on 07 July 2016 - 11:42 PM, said:

What does it mean when a user's name is highlighted in cyan? I don't think I've seen this before.

It means he's a new player who hasn't finished his first 25 matches and cannot post outside the New Player forum yet. (finishing the 25 matches also removes the restriction)

#9 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:05 AM

ok this is a bit off topic,

This is your personal question and answer thread, ask whatever you want to know but possibly consider renaming it if you plan to keep using it, just so someone does not see the first question answered and stop looking.

I would much prefer 1 thread for all your questions rather than you keep creating a new thread for each question

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:14 AM

View Post03THEAMAZINGSPIDERMAN, on 07 July 2016 - 06:39 PM, said:

so i read taht in order to get to mech mastery you have to get 3 of hte same mechs and use the xp form them to get the different "perks". so once i get mastery i coudl sell all but mechs except the one i want to keep and still have mastery?

Make sure the variants or "same mech different number" have different numbers. Same number with a (letter) in parenthesis does not count.

#11 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:15 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...n-short-answer/
Alternatively, that's also what this thread was created for :D

#12 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:12 AM

When you convert XP to GXP you take experience away from the pool you have for your Mechs and give it to that of the pilot.

GXP should only be used for the pilot skill tree, not the mech mastery trees. Pilot skills (Advanced Zoom, seismic sensors, weapon range bonuses, cooldown bonuses, etc) cost MUCH more than Mech skills, so the GXP should never be wasted.

Plus, converting XP to GXP costs MCs (real money)

Plain XP, is for your mech trees to unlock the mastery. Once you have mastered, you can convert all the XP you want to GXP... if you have the MCs to do it.

This is when a player is BRAND new... less than 25-ish matches played

#13 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:23 AM

Converting XP to GXP is pretty costly, but it does go on sale about twice each year. The advantage of doing this however is that if you have a mech fully mastered the mech xp keeps accumulating but there is nothing to spend the XP on. If you convert your excess XP to GXP you can unlock more modules.

Edited by mailin, 08 July 2016 - 05:24 AM.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:07 AM

Color codes:
Bright yellow: old, legendary backers Now PGI employees.
Green: moderators.
Dark yellow: player.
Cyan: new player.
Red: Not sure anymore but have seen it several times.
Dark blue: no longer in use. Veteran backer.
Orange: Elite backer. No longer in use.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:17 AM

Short version.
XP: improve that mech; exclusive to a specific mech.
GXP: Unlock modules/trinkets; can also be spent (wasted) on any mech.

Converting is a shortcut because for every 5 XP you earn you get 1 GXP or some very low/slow amount. Costs money though. Seems like an sink for loose MC.

#16 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:29 AM

View PostKoniving, on 08 July 2016 - 07:07 AM, said:

Color codes:
Bright yellow: old, legendary backers Now PGI employees.
Green: moderators.
Dark yellow: player.
Cyan: new player.
Red: Not sure anymore but have seen it several times.
Dark blue: no longer in use. Veteran backer.
Orange: Elite backer. No longer in use.

Do you mean the Pink colour (sorry, as a male, I cannot differentiate between shades of red Posted Image ), that is for those banned.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:17 AM

View PostKeshav Murali, on 08 July 2016 - 07:29 AM, said:

Do you mean the Pink colour (sorry, as a male, I cannot differentiate between shades of red Posted Image ), that is for those banned.

Interesting.
Google was once red on here. Heh. It is usually dark yellow or grey now.

#18 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:04 PM

You have the mastery forever, whether you own the Mechs or not. Think of it as an unlock specific to that Chassis. If you ever buy the mechs again, those pilot skills will still be available on them.

You need to play the mechs to continue progressing on the pilot skills though. Once you have unlocked the additional module slot, there is no more progression on that Chassis.

#19 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:47 PM

so once i get mastery i coudl sell all but mechs except the one i want to keep and still have mastery?

as soon as you have unlocked what you need to master the one you can sell the others, so e.g. I really hate the Dire Wolf, I got them as part of the Clans (invasion wave 1) pack, tried them and could not use them as effectively as I use the least heavily armed Mech in the game, they are completely worthless in my hands, so I used GXP to complete basic skills on 2 of the variants (having already unlocked master on other assaults) and sold them off, unfortunately I cannot sell the DWF-Prime(I) so I kept it but stripped, I have sold off most of the pods, keeping enough to allow a variety of loadouts. if I do ever decide to give it another chance I can take the DWF-Prime straight to master (although considering it took me 5 games to earn enough XP to unlock coolrun and heat containment, and I really hated piloting it that is unlikely)

#20 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:50 PM

ok somethings to clarify:

A) each mech has its own skill tree

B ) there are 3 tiers of mech skills.

C) All mechs have the Basic Tier unlocked for purchase.

D) in order to unlock Elite Tier, you must have purchased all Basic Tier skills for 3 mechs of the same Chassis. (what that means, is the same mech type, with different designations. i.e. Timberwolf Prime, Timberwolf B and Timberwolf C)

E) in order to unlock Master Tier, you must have purchased all Elite Tier skills for 3 mechs of the same Weight Class. (what that means is you can mix and match at this point, Timberwolf Prime, Ebon Jaguar Prime, BLK-7-KNT).

on a side note: dont sell mechs if you are still a cadet unless you are in dire need of mechbays, because you might need them later for faction warfare

Edited by Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, 08 July 2016 - 12:50 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users