28 replies to this topic

#21 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:57 AM

People pressing R repeatedly drive me up the wall, not because I boat LRMs, but because I want to see what is where. If you don't lock it, I can't see it.

I suggest one 1 (one) cycle to show size of unit, but once the cycle is complete, hold target on the biggest threat, either to you or your team. If you are safe and someone is boating LRMs, hold your lock on someone in the open.

If you start to be chased or are engaging someone, target them. Again, I don't like LRMs, but they have a use and can bail you out of bad situations by either assisting with your kill or discouraging a chase.

This is a team game and shared information is very important. Utilize your team's builds and win.

#22 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:05 AM

View PostHunka Junk, on 10 July 2016 - 12:40 PM, said:

Scenario 1:
You pop over a hill and discover 8 of the enemy nestled together in a valley. Do you start mashing R and try to cycle through all 8 repeatedly? Or cycle once and then try to maintain lock on the juiciest target? Or just lock the juiciest?

Scenario 2:
You round a corner and see a direwolf chillin with a wolfhound. Do you quick R the hound and long R the dire? Or do you ignore the hound and maintain lock on the dire? Or do you mash R and continuously bebop between the two?

I'm sure light em up and run away are other possible answers, but I'm asking about the best way to utilize the R button.

1: I'd cycle through once, then find the best target for any LRMs that may happen to be on your team. If you can't hold the lock, that is fine. Survive first, holding locks much farther down the list.

2: I'd cycle through once if possible, but if you don't have time lock the target you are shooting, which is probably that Direwolf unless that Wolfhound is near dead.

I say this as a practitioner of LRMs, but also as a teammate who gets annoyed when people spam the R key when there is no need. If you are close, a UAV would be even better at information sharing. If you have a mic and use the chat in game, informing your team of enemy count and composition is even better than spamming the R key.

Another reason not to spam the R key, it's much easier to track a single solid lock, than a blip of a lock. If you also target their baddest thing, it will inform your team of what to expect, for at least one of the enemy mechs. Information is power, and in this case it's really a matter of knowing numbers or types. Thus, I recommend cycle through once, than hold a solid lock.

#23 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:31 AM

The main thing is communication.
Let your team know what you see.

Cycle through for yourself, if possible. See who's weak, who you might be able to take out...
Lock on the High Value Target (Assaults, undamaged heavies)
--If HVT is close to cover, pick the next highest target, with the least amount of cover for the LRM Boats.--

Engage weak target (if possible) as LRMs engage high value target...

OR

Call in an artillery strike on the clustered group, if they're stationary.

But keep the COMM lines open. Give a grid location, numbers, activity (what they're doing) and Equipment if possible.
(Example: Spotted 7 Mechs Grid K7 moving to J7... 2 Atlas, 3 Heavies, 1 Cicada and a Commando... 2 appear to be LRM boats )

#24 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:53 PM

Just so you know though, there is a warning to the enemy when they've been locked as a target. It's pretty subtle though. But, experienced drivers know about it. If an enemy turns around and starts looking for you, that may be the guy you want to focus on.

#25 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:20 PM

I did not know there was a notification when you were targeted, Radar Deprivation does give you a flash and chirp when a lock is broken, is that what you are thinking about mailin?

#26 p4r4g0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:25 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 14 July 2016 - 11:20 PM, said:

I did not know there was a notification when you were targeted, Radar Deprivation does give you a flash and chirp when a lock is broken, is that what you are thinking about mailin?

Chirp = picked up on sensor
Flash = target locked

Inferred from the fact that I experience the chirp much more frequently than the chirp & flash / flash much later than chirp

Edited by p4r4g0n, 15 July 2016 - 01:27 AM.

#27 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:43 AM

scenario one:

spamming lock so the team gets an indication of all the mechs there.

scenario 2, not sure, depend son the range and their alignment. here are quite some scenarios where I do not lock on targets, mostly those where I quckly pop, and shoot or try to ambush. locking a target always comes with a small audio and visual sign on your mech, this is not an information I want to gove an opponent at specific situations.

Edited by Lily from animove, 15 July 2016 - 02:43 AM.

#28 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:53 AM

View Postp4r4g0n, on 15 July 2016 - 01:25 AM, said:

Chirp = picked up on sensor
Flash = target locked

Inferred from the fact that I experience the chirp much more frequently than the chirp & flash / flash much later than chirp

I have only ever experienced the flash and chirp at the same time, and only when I know that the enemy had a lock and I had broken it. I also have only experienced this when I had Radar Deprivation equipped on me.

I've been told it's the other way, but I have not experienced anything otherwise. I've even been told that you get the chirp when the enemy gain a lock, even if you don't have Radar Deprivation equipped. If it does so, I have not been able to hear with, even with headphones on and my (you'll have to take my word for it*) very sensitive hearing.

* I can hear the old tube TVs if you leave it on with nothing running on it produce a high pitched squeal. I can't even have music on "too loud" or it gives me a headache. And my version of too loud is still fairly quite to my friends.

I would love to test this out, if anyone wishes to help with that in a private lobby. Maybe I might be able to do so with my unit sometime.

#29 p4r4g0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:17 AM

Chirp and flash are due to Radar Deprivation. If anyone is getting a chirp and flash without it, they may be playing too much MWO :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users