1 Week From July Patch. (Discussion & Updated Roadmap)

130 replies to this topic

#101 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:37 PM

View PostMoonlight Grimoire, on 13 July 2016 - 12:28 PM, said:

Sad to see new Assault get pushed back so far, but, hopefully this means it will be more polished when it comes out. I do want word on when we get to test out Power Draw, it is a big concern of the community and a big change to how the game will play.

Yeah, I am looking forward to a new game mode but PGI has listened to the community and decided to test it on the PTS first as has been suggested for new features by many of the Vets. Hopefully a lot of people will take advantage of the opportunity to test it. Getting a sufficient number of people to use and test the content on the PTS has been a problem in the past.

#102 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:44 PM

View PostRampage, on 13 July 2016 - 12:37 PM, said:

Yeah, I am looking forward to a new game mode but PGI has listened to the community and decided to test it on the PTS first as has been suggested for new features by many of the Vets. Hopefully a lot of people will take advantage of the opportunity to test it. Getting a sufficient number of people to use and test the content on the PTS has been a problem in the past.

I hope there is enough population on the PTS to test it, if PGI is going to use the PTS more the community needs to use it more as well, an unfortunate feedback loop. Only way I could see it working is giving some sort of rewards for doing so, maybe a unique decal for each PTS test wave.

#103 orcrist86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:50 PM

Is anyone else excited about the texture visibility fix in this patch, because I sure as hell am.

#104 Gorgo7

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,220 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:05 PM

Procurator,
Can you expand upon "Inverse Kinematics" please?
I understand the meaning of it but not how it will apply to the Mechs in MWO or game-play in general.

#105 Gorgo7

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:09 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 12 July 2016 - 12:44 PM, said:

Well AFAIK, these are going to be part of July patch (apart from Viper):

- real time Inverse Kinematics (leg-terrain interactions)
- Dekkels Posted Image
- Reduced LT damage.
- Locust Nerf
- 2 sec mechlab save
- New assault mode
- supply caches

did i miss anything?

Thank you Navid for clearing up Inverse kinematics for me.

#106 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:16 PM

View PostGorgo7, on 13 July 2016 - 01:05 PM, said:

Procurator,
Can you expand upon "Inverse Kinematics" please?
I understand the meaning of it but not how it will apply to the Mechs in MWO or game-play in general.

In terms of gameplay you won't see mechs standing on nothing while on a slope, instead their legs and feet will shift accordingly to follow the ground. Mostly it is something for immersion, but, it will also change where legs are and how you can hit them by a small degree.

#107 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:35 PM

View PostGorgo7, on 13 July 2016 - 01:09 PM, said:

Thank you Navid for clearing up Inverse kinematics for me.

sadly, its been pushed back to august now.

#108 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:56 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 13 July 2016 - 01:35 PM, said:

Not sad to me. If it got pushed back, then that's better than not doing another month's worth of work on stuff that had to get done first.

#109 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:59 PM

I am looking forward to the decals. This has been something that I have been anticipating for a very, very, very, very, very, long time. Thank you.

As for the new bases. Yes. Don't need to have a drop ship landing on our heads all the time however.

#110 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 13 July 2016 - 02:12 PM

That roadmap still says directly switching modules between mechs was supposed to be in the May patch.

What happened?

#111 Gorgo7

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 02:29 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 13 July 2016 - 01:35 PM, said:

Roach! I am a big fan of aesthetics...
Decals are nice but Inverse kinematics would have gone a long way towards sweetening the pie.
Prosperity park...really? Do you not think that they are still working on it for ANOTHER month???
Nice Name by the way...you can only change it so many times.

#112 Blue Pheonix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 229 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 02:54 PM

PGI,

Please implement my ideas regarding the leaderboard in the upcoming patch:

http://mwomercs.com/...th-leaderboard/

#113 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:23 PM

View PostProcurator Derek, on 12 July 2016 - 07:48 AM, said:

So, there's going to be a lot coming in this patch.

And I Know some of you won't like some of the new things that are to come. no, not the new mech, but rather, the new assault mode and supply caches that are going to arrive.

The supply cache is undoubtedly going to be a rough mechanic implemented - what I mean is not everyone is going to like how it works. there's going to be, and I call it, threads where people will complain that they did the most in a match and won but still didn't get the crate, or that same scores and same stats in a match but didn't get the crate, things like that.

Now to the new assault mode coming.

It's going to be mixed feelings, I already know, first is dealing with the new things, the air tower, the Jamming tower, and walls.

People will, and I call again, complain on the smaller maps that involve the air tower. By that I mean canyon network and the like.

For me, I'm going to wait and see for myself how it'll be. It should be good, from what I see.

UPDATE:

JULY

Patch Date: July 19th

Release of the Viper
Probably one of the best and most recent examples of how some 'Mechs are being visually updated and modernized with their introduction to MechWarrior Online. Credit again goes to Alex for his amazing concepts, and to one of our new modelers Mark Nicholson. This is Marks first 'Mech since joining us back in October of last year, and he's knocked it out of the park. You can check out the Viper Lore and Blueprint post here.

Supply Caches
Thread on Supply Cache Update here

Decals
Originally slated for August, the Decal system will be arriving in our July patch. ~90 decals will be available from the outset, with further additions and improvements to the Decal system planned for upcoming patches. All decals are single-purchase items; once a decal is acquired it can be applied to any ‘Mech. The Color system is shared between Patterns and Decals; owning a Color allows you to use that Color for Patterns and Decals. There will be six Decal slots available, all of which will be free to use.

Chat system updates
You’ll see some improvements to the in-game Chat system in the July patch. Chat will now be scrollable when the Chat window is ‘active’, and a few quality of life improvements have been implemented to fix issues related to the persistence of chat input between screens.

Save system improvements
The system for saving changes to your ‘Mechs has undergone an extensive technical overhaul for the July patch. Save times will be drastically reduced for players with large inventories of ‘Mechs and equipment. This overhaul also tackles some long-standing Invalid ‘Mech issues that could be caused by saving errors.

Viridian Bog Update
As mentioned in the June patch notes, with the recent addition of two new Level Designers to the PGI staff we are better equipped to more consistently evaluate maps for potential improvements. Following up on a pathing tweak to Forest Colony in the June patch, July sees a beautification and traversal update on Viridian Bog, in addition to a layout adjustment to provide more balanced access to the central terrace mountain.

‘Mech texture brightness fix
‘Mech textures have been adjusted to minimize the darkening of Patterns in certain lighting conditions. This fix has been needed for some time, but with the addition of Decals the desire for increased visibility of ‘Mech customization will be all the greater. Showing off your customization will be much clearer now.

Long Tom adjustments
Blast Radius is being reduced from 300m to 200m, max amount of Damage to a single ‘Mech is being reduced from 150DMG per component to 120 DMG per component.

Looking Ahead to August

Pushed to August: Multiple Drop Decks
A long-requested feature. Each player will be provided with 2 Invasion DropDeck slots and 2 Scouting DropDeck slots in which to save DropDeck configurations, and each DropDeck can be assigned a name for quick reference. You'll also be able to purchase up to 2 additional DropDecks each for both Invasion and Scouting, for an amount of MC to be determined.

New Item for August: Inverse Kinematics
After being removed way back in 2012 due to performance concerns, the engineers have managed to implement a cleaner, less demanding Inverse Kinematics system. This is currently slated for August release.

The August patch will be comprised of more than those two items. An upcoming August road map will cover some of the additional items currently slated for the August patch.

Assault Revamp

Status of the Assault Game Mode
Originally slated for a (very tentative) July release, the revamp of the Assault Game Mode is now slated as a September item.
Prior to release the Assault revamp will be placed onto the Public Test Servers to garner feedback and test it in the wild, but the exact date of that PTS is still to be determined.

The Assault game mode is being revamped to put the focus back onto the primary objective: capturing the opposing base. Completing the objective will be necessary to win the game mode; even if one team is eliminated, the other team will still have to take their base. In order to make the base assault more interesting the bases will better resemble proper bases, with new fortifications and special buildings, instead of solely having a mobile command center placed in the map.

These additions include (pending full testing and tuning) turrets, destructible walls, a jamming tower that produces an ECM effect, a radar tower that produces a UAV effect, and an air control tower that periodically calls in a DropShip to protect the base. While heavier 'Mechs might be better suited to directly assault the opposing base and team, lighter 'Mechs can hunt down and destroy the generators that power the opposing base’s towers, shutting them down to weaken the base’s defenses.

Awsome.

The base defense was asked for by MANY MANY MechWarrior Online players for a long time from closed beta onward. The calls for this have not been as many for quite a while but this is exactly what they asked for.

Again this "Assault mode" is exactly what a huge amount of players requested. So anyone disrespecting it should take that into consideration. Just a reminder on past replies on this forum.

The decals system is exactly what tons of players asked for as well. This will be the icing on the mech customization cake. Decals should really make these mechs look awesome and an amazing addition to one of the greatest aspects of this game.

Everything else looks great to of course. Not game changers but finishing to the best online combat available.

Over all huge updates that would have been nicer if they came earlier, but better late than never.

Looking forward to future feature and content additions, some I hope will be game changers.

Easiest addition they could make going forward would be dropship air support and I do have some idea about this sort of thing. I hope that doesnt take to long to add.

Edited by Johnny Z, 13 July 2016 - 03:29 PM.

#114 Cizjut

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:34 PM

INVERSE KINEMATICS?

**** EVERYTHING ELSE, THAT ONE MAKES ME HAPPY

I lost all hope for that feature. People underestimate how details make a long way. thank you.

Now if only we could have different effects and maybe rare overkill totalized mechs explosions.

#115 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:36 PM

View PostCizjut, on 13 July 2016 - 03:34 PM, said:

INVERSE KINEMATICS?

**** EVERYTHING ELSE, THAT ONE MAKES ME HAPPY

I lost all hope for that feature. People underestimate how details make a long way. thank you.

Now if only we could have different effects and maybe rare overkill totalized mechs explosions.

This and pilot eject animation would really add something to the game for sure.

SIM FTW.

If they ever add pilot eject animation it will ruin quite a few matches at first as the downside. :) But just like running out of bounds it wont be a serious problem especially if repair and rearm are added, along with some big credit items in game. Pilot eject would be used to skip the medic bill in repair and rearm..

I suppose a mech going critical from enemy fire would maximize the repair bill or what? :)

Edited by Johnny Z, 13 July 2016 - 03:52 PM.

#116 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:51 PM

View PostMoonlight Grimoire, on 12 July 2016 - 06:59 PM, said:

Right, this doesn't change that. It still takes time to cap. I guess maybe I played too much World of Warships and World of Tanks or something. However, I feel that making it so you can put pressure on the enemy team to force them to play into your hands is something that is tactically useful which is what stepping into the cap does. But, I often see people say **** it and just rush the enemy cap since there is no way to properly get the enemy off of their own cap and you get a match with barely any damage done. This would alleviate that, are there downsides? Yes, of course there are, three enemy lights sit on your cap and all you have left are three dires that are legged? Well you lost, but, you would have lost in the old system as well. The only difference here is it gives one situation where both teams still have firepower the ability and reason to go back to their base and fight. This also emphasizes the importance of the objective by making it that much more powerful of a win condition and also be more situational of when you want to put pressure on the enemy cap.

But, hey, I said this was all an option, I just plain hate skirmish and rather current assault be what we call skirmish because then there is always at least two ways to win, still need to give bigger rewards to teams that play the objective instead of just kill all, don't cap.

Back when there were no defenses on Assault, I believe Russ said that only something like 17% of games ended with a cap victory. Caps are NOT a powerful win condition. They are an afterthought. Mechs in MWO, on average, are MUCH faster than in WoTs. I don't remember any light tanks that do 130kph, or heavy tanks that do 90kph. They NEED a mechanism that allows all those 20kph tanks to respond to a base rush. We don't need the same mechanics here.

#117 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:54 PM

View PostDavers, on 13 July 2016 - 03:51 PM, said:

Back when there were no defenses on Assault, I believe Russ said that only something like 17% of games ended with a cap victory. Caps are NOT a powerful win condition. They are an afterthought. Mechs in MWO, on average, are MUCH faster than in WoTs. I don't remember any light tanks that do 130kph, or heavy tanks that do 90kph. They NEED a mechanism that allows all those 20kph tanks to respond to a base rush. We don't need the same mechanics here.

I hope they make an awesome sim and let the cards fall where they may. Micromanagement control freakishness is not the way to make a fun game. :)

Liberating thought isn't it? :)

Edited by Johnny Z, 13 July 2016 - 03:55 PM.

#118 Cizjut

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:55 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 13 July 2016 - 03:36 PM, said:

But just like running out of bounds it wont be a serious problem especially if repair and rearm are added, along with some big credit items in game. Pilot eject would be used to skip the medic bill in repair and rearm..

That's actually a good idea.

ACTUALLY, after playing Battlefleet Gothic Armada, it came to me how a system like the BFGA turns would perfectly mesh in this game and work as the Economic Warfare they wanted to implement.

In BFGA, for those who don't know, you pick your fleet ships, and if they get totaled you have to spend money to get them repaired ASAP for the next match OR wait 1 to 2 matches and goes smoothly. You can warp out (eject) and the cost is considerably lower or not at all, depending on the damage on the ship.

In MWO, it makes perfect sense, and incentivates switching to other mechs if you don't want to spend money. Besides, it's only 2 matches. On the flip side, makes money worth more, and contracts too. As it is right now, CBills are just Ego Points since there's nothing valuable besides mechs that you can spend them on. It's a little managing meta game about resources.

#119 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:15 PM

View PostCizjut, on 13 July 2016 - 03:55 PM, said:

That's actually a good idea.

ACTUALLY, after playing Battlefleet Gothic Armada, it came to me how a system like the BFGA turns would perfectly mesh in this game and work as the Economic Warfare they wanted to implement.

In BFGA, for those who don't know, you pick your fleet ships, and if they get totaled you have to spend money to get them repaired ASAP for the next match OR wait 1 to 2 matches and goes smoothly. You can warp out (eject) and the cost is considerably lower or not at all, depending on the damage on the ship.

In MWO, it makes perfect sense, and incentivates switching to other mechs if you don't want to spend money. Besides, it's only 2 matches. On the flip side, makes money worth more, and contracts too. As it is right now, CBills are just Ego Points since there's nothing valuable besides mechs that you can spend them on. It's a little managing meta game about resources.
]

Great idea to limit the repair costs if a player doesn't mind using another mech.

#120 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:35 PM

My biggest complaint about the upcoming patch is NO COMMAND CONSOLE BUFF as of today.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users