1 Week From July Patch. (Discussion & Updated Roadmap)

130 replies to this topic

#21 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:08 AM

In my innocence and ever positive outlook I am very much looking forward to the new Assault mode. Because as far as game mechanisms go it can't possibly be worse than the long tom, right? Right?
Please, be right.

As to post-game random goodie crates: I loath the idea with the red hot intensity of a thousand suns. While I am glad they decided to remove it from being an in game feature (I am basing this on Russ goodie crate clarification in the announcements forum room), the idea of random stuff awarded to random players on the winning side is to me just...the opposite of immersive. It is arcade-y and silly. May as well have coins that pop out when you run through the plants on Viridian.

#22 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:10 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 12 July 2016 - 08:05 AM, said:

I thought there was going to be some public testing before the new game mode. Unless it turns out to be great out of the box, I will be kind of disappointed that we didn't get to provide feedback earlier.

They can;t play test it, it's a lot of work, map changes with bases said to be really big with many things in them. It will go live and stay however it is. It dont matter, both side will have a bases with defences, after a week both team will just meet in the middle because it will be less annoying. Add to that that not everyone will want to play it but will be forced to drop on it.

#23 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:16 AM

New Supply Drop Game Mode confirmed
Posted Image

#24 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:31 AM

Loot crates: As a warning example you can look at what happened to Robocraft when they replaced their more complex economic and building system and tech trees with...random loot crates.

Robocraft used to be an extremely promising game, the teching up and designing of robots was complex, tactical, involving and interesting. And to some extent it still is, but where you used to be able to simply build up your resources and buy the parts you wanted for the mechs you planned, you now rely on crates randomly containing the pieces you want. They also removed the tiering of tech in the match maker among other things. Where high tier weapons were previously just...high tier weapons you bought when having progressed that far, now the best weapons are super rare drops with prefixes such as "epic" and "legendary" and unless you pay for them you basically can't build competitive robots and get sealclubbed by paying or long time players with all the stuff because...you know...they removed the tiered matchmaking and now the strongest robots play against the worst.

Just look at the review page: https://steamcommuni...301520/reviews/
That is a game that used to have more than 85% positive reviews, now you will struggle very hard to find a single positive review, and players are jumping ship in droves.

PGI, be very very careful about this sort of stuff. Please.

#25 StumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:44 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 12 July 2016 - 08:31 AM, said:

Town Halls are generally worth listening to. Posted Image
On June 17 Russ said the new assault wouldn't be ready for July. Which town hall are you referring to?

#26 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:45 AM

Holy crap. I guess i was lucky to stop playing RoboCraft when i did so i didn't have to suffer such disappointment.
Let's hope MWO stays well away from such stunts.

#27 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:51 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 12 July 2016 - 08:31 AM, said:

Town Halls are generally worth listening to. Posted Image

Yeah, if I hadn't listened to the April town hall, I'd probably still be spending money in the game. Saved me a bundle!

#28 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:00 AM

Good, bad, or otherwise - this game needs to keep implementing new game modes. Even a flop of a game mode can be tweaked into something good. I've said it over and over again on this forum: the staleness old players feel from MWO is due to the stale gamemodes, not mechs or maps.

I'm not a fan of Domination, but it's at least an attempt that can be refined with time. As long as the new game mode doesn't involve sticking needles in my eyes, it should at least improve the game in some fashion by giving us something new to do. And MWO needs that.

Edited by Rhaythe, 12 July 2016 - 10:01 AM.

#29 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:18 AM

Air Towers? Walls? I don't follow the twiters and dev logs. Can some one clue me in on the new assault mode features?

#30 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:23 AM

View PostRaso, on 12 July 2016 - 10:18 AM, said:

Air Towers? Walls? I don't follow the twiters and dev logs. Can some one clue me in on the new assault mode features?

RE: http://mwomercs.com/...ejuly-road-map/

Changes to Assault Game Mode
The Assault game mode is being revamped to put the focus back onto the primary objective: capturing the opposing base. Completing the objective will be necessary to win the game mode; even if one team is eliminated, the other team will still have to take their base. In order to make the base assault more interesting the bases will better resemble proper bases, with new fortifications and special buildings, instead of solely having a mobile command center placed in the map.

These additions include (pending full testing and tuning) turrets, destructible walls, a jamming tower that produces an ECM effect, a radar tower that produces a UAV effect, and an air control tower that periodically calls in a DropShip to protect the base. While heavier 'Mechs might be better suited to directly assault the opposing base and team, lighter 'Mechs can hunt down and destroy the generators that power the opposing base’s towers, shutting them down to weaken the base’s defenses.

#31 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:37 AM

View PostTercieI, on 12 July 2016 - 08:58 AM, said:

New assault can be terrible and still be better than current assault.

That may or may not be true, but either version will always be better than Skirmish.

#32 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:41 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 12 July 2016 - 10:37 AM, said:

That may or may not be true, but either version will always be better than Skirmish.

No way. Assault should basically be skirmish it's so pointlessly different except for 1 game in 4 where both teams run to bases without even fighting. I'm no great fan of skirmish but at least it is what it is. I literally save my mode modifiers to avoid assault.

#33 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:46 AM

View PostTercieI, on 12 July 2016 - 10:41 AM, said:

No way. Assault should basically be skirmish it's so pointlessly different except for 1 game in 4 where both teams run to bases without even fighting. I'm no great fan of skirmish but at least it is what it is. I literally save my mode modifiers to avoid assault.

I save mine to avoid skirmish. I rarely ever see both teams run past each other to base race, but in skirmish I see way too often the last 5-10 min of the match dedicated to chasing an ecm light around the map. Skirmish was the worst thing they ever added to this game. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

#34 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:46 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 12 July 2016 - 09:31 AM, said:

Loot crates: As a warning example you can look at what happened to Robocraft when they replaced their more complex economic and building system and tech trees with...random loot crates.

Robocraft used to be an extremely promising game, the teching up and designing of robots was complex, tactical, involving and interesting. And to some extent it still is, but where you used to be able to simply build up your resources and buy the parts you wanted for the mechs you planned, you now rely on crates randomly containing the pieces you want. They also removed the tiering of tech in the match maker among other things. Where high tier weapons were previously just...high tier weapons you bought when having progressed that far, now the best weapons are super rare drops with prefixes such as "epic" and "legendary" and unless you pay for them you basically can't build competitive robots and get sealclubbed by paying or long time players with all the stuff because...you know...they removed the tiered matchmaking and now the strongest robots play against the worst.

Just look at the review page: https://steamcommuni...301520/reviews/
That is a game that used to have more than 85% positive reviews, now you will struggle very hard to find a single positive review, and players are jumping ship in droves.

PGI, be very very careful about this sort of stuff. Please.

Wow, I never imagined Robocraft would turn out so bad. It seemed so promising a year ago. Did another company take over? This kind of BS usually happens when corporate suits with one eye on quarterly earnings call the shots.

#35 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:48 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 12 July 2016 - 10:46 AM, said:

I save mine to avoid skirmish. I rarely ever see both teams run past each other to base race, but in skirmish I see way too often the last 5-10 min of the match dedicated to chasing an ecm light around the map. Skirmish was the worst thing they ever added to this game. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I don't agree to that. ;)

#36 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:50 AM

I dread both.

Supply crates might be o.k in Neverwinter online or some Korean pantie shot MMO, but here they are a complete joke.

New assault might have been a good thing if it was different numbers of mechs in a defend the base mode, with the attackers having the larger force, but how its being implemented its going to be terrible, as it will promote very defencive play, and the aggressive team will lose to the one that sits and uses the base turrets as extra firepower, or both sides sit inside the range of the turrets and its a draw.

There is no need to speculate on this, its how it worked before when the bases had less complicated defences, unless you had a scrub team on one side and rolled them over in three or four minutes.

Edited by Cathy, 12 July 2016 - 10:51 AM.

#37 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:55 AM

View Postzachyattacky, on 12 July 2016 - 07:49 AM, said:

Looking forward to reading the patch notes!

Also looking forward to a new game mode, I'm sure it'll be awesome Posted Image

Me too.. i hope the game mode is improved.. I really hope a domination change is coming too, which basically adds domination and spawn points to a map, and rotates where the point is.. get people fighting in new places on the map..

After last months patch, and the laundry list that got fixed, i can't wait to see what is on this months block. I must say, since the resize i have been having lots more fun.. Some how most of the mechs i played shrunk, or stayed the same, and only a couple barely grew.. :P

#38 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:00 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 12 July 2016 - 09:08 AM, said:

As to post-game random goodie crates: I loath the idea with the red hot intensity of a thousand suns. While I am glad they decided to remove it from being an in game feature (I am basing this on Russ goodie crate clarification in the announcements forum room), the idea of random stuff awarded to random players on the winning side is to me just...the opposite of immersive. It is arcade-y and silly. May as well have coins that pop out when you run through the plants on Viridian.

Honestly how is this any different than the events where you get to open a reward box for getting X-match score, for a chance at something like MC, or c-bills or cockpit item? I will see how it all plays out, but i think it is a whole lot of hub-ub about nothing.

I don't want to pick up crates in-game persay, But it is funny how people want objective based games, BUT don't want objectives.. Protect the crate, get the reward.. hold capture point, get the reward.. ext it could be melded into game play that would improve game play, and reward for team play.. be a great way to split up deathballs, epecially on larger maps, having to defend multiple objects at the same time.. ext..

something like hold crate for 1 min,, it's captured, and you can move on to another location to help the team.. I don't have a magic way to do this.. but i think there would be a good way to implement it to improve gameplay, and not just make it, find the crate..

#39 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:05 AM

There should be loot crates INSIDE the base. I'm going to HIDE INSIDE the base BEHIND the loot crate.

Edited by Johnny Z, 12 July 2016 - 11:08 AM.

#40 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:25 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 12 July 2016 - 11:00 AM, said:

Honestly how is this any different than the events where you get to open a reward box for getting X-match score, for a chance at something like MC, or c-bills or cockpit item? I will see how it all plays out, but i think it is a whole lot of hub-ub about nothing.

I don't want to pick up crates in-game persay, But it is funny how people want objective based games, BUT don't want objectives.. Protect the crate, get the reward.. hold capture point, get the reward.. ext it could be melded into game play that would improve game play, and reward for team play.. be a great way to split up deathballs, epecially on larger maps, having to defend multiple objects at the same time.. ext..

something like hold crate for 1 min,, it's captured, and you can move on to another location to help the team.. I don't have a magic way to do this.. but i think there would be a good way to implement it to improve gameplay, and not just make it, find the crate..

Sure. That might be cool. That isn't what we are getting. We are getting a mechanism that awards a random player, a random locked prize, that then that player can unlock using MC and then get a random aspect of what was inside the crate, the rest of which is destroyed.

What you describe, is logical and potentially could be an immersive feature. What Russ describes in his own "clarification" is absurd, and silly.

http://mwomercs.com/...39#entry5186239

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users