Orion Iic A Build?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Black Ivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:09 AM

I'm looking for a decent built for the Orion IIC A, but had no luck so far.

Is there any good short to medium ranged config around?

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,142 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:44 PM

Find faces. Smash them.

I actually just took this out for the first time today. Two games, averaged 650 damage, 6 KMDDs. No efficiencies, it handles like an 18-wheeler with five flats, but hits hard up close. Note: You want to shield evenly with both sides, even maybe a bit more with the right. If you're used to left side shielding, that's weird. I actually spaced on it my first match and lost all the SRMs or I'd have done a lot more work.

#3 Edward Scissorhands

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 02:32 PM

View PostTercieI, on 12 July 2016 - 02:44 PM, said:

Find faces. Smash them.

I actually just took this out for the first time today. Two games, averaged 650 damage, 6 KMDDs. No efficiencies, it handles like an 18-wheeler with five flats, but hits hard up close. Note: You want to shield evenly with both sides, even maybe a bit more with the right. If you're used to left side shielding, that's weird. I actually spaced on it my first match and lost all the SRMs or I'd have done a lot more work.

i play this build but with ultra ac 20 instead.... also very good...

#4 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 16 July 2016 - 03:13 PM

I skip the ferro and use a much smaller engine, usually surplus 315s from my Jenners. I have a 350 somewhere just not in my Orion-IIC-A.

Edited by Spheroid, 16 July 2016 - 03:13 PM.

#5 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:40 AM

View PostSkeddie Fallen, on 16 July 2016 - 02:32 PM, said:

i play this build but with ultra ac 20 instead.... also very good...

I prefer the LBX, but that's just personal taste, really. I have a UAC/20 and 4MPL on one of the others and it's the best performer of the three I have oddly.

View PostSpheroid, on 16 July 2016 - 03:13 PM, said:

I skip the ferro and use a much smaller engine, usually surplus 315s from my Jenners. I have a 350 somewhere just not in my Orion-IIC-A.

Yuck. The big engine is the one thing that makes the build workable. Waddling into brawling range at low speed is a recipe for failure.

#6 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:40 PM

@Terciel: I agree the big XL is superior, I have just been spending my c-bills on other things. I will have several million more c-bills come Tuesday with the Viper injection.

#7 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:45 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 17 July 2016 - 12:40 PM, said:

@Terciel: I agree the big XL is superior, I have just been spending my c-bills on other things. I will have several million more c-bills come Tuesday with the Viper injection.

Fair nuff. I have one built with an XL300 and despite it being ranged the slow speed frustrates me. I'm pondering a hybrid sort of build using an XL325 that I can use on HGN IICs to similar CB saving reasons.

#8 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:43 AM

It's the one Orion IIC I don't run a UAC20.
ON1-IIC-A

Typically 3 kills and 600+ damage.

#9 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:50 AM

Or this with a uac5

ON1-IIC-A

#10 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 31 July 2016 - 01:30 PM

View PostTercieI, on 12 July 2016 - 02:44 PM, said:

Find faces. Smash them.

This is the build I use, only with an XL350 and a ERML in the left arm.

So much fun! The speed of a medium with the firepower of a Kodiak or Atlas! You need to use your speed to move from cover to cover while you get close. Then loom for the opportunity to flank or go after an isolated much. Nothing can take more than 2-3 alphas!

Oh, and you will die quickly, but you also kill quickly. I haven't survived a match but always end with at least 500-600 damage, a solo kill, and 2-3 KMDD.

#11 Omniseed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Kashira
  • Kashira
  • 255 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 02:33 PM

View PostTercieI, on 17 July 2016 - 12:45 PM, said:

Fair nuff. I have one built with an XL300 and despite it being ranged the slow speed frustrates me. I'm pondering a hybrid sort of build using an XL325 that I can use on HGN IICs to similar CB saving reasons.

The 325 is perfect, it's a nice speed bump from the stock 300, it's the lightest engine with (three?) heat sink slots, I love it. Small difference in weight, noticeable handling improvement, more cooling power.

#12 Viersche

• PipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 21 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 03 March 2021 - 10:49 PM

I recently bought a IIC-A and have been running the x4 SRMA 6 / x2 LRMA 20 + UAC20 builds with an XL360 on it and have been having fun with it with the high amount of damage that i can dish out.

Tried it with a UAC20 + x2 LPL yesterday for more midrange harassment and was still able to dish out 400-500 damage with around 2-3 kills per game but haven't seen anyone run that build so far, just curious if i can improve on the Ballistic/Laser build or if i should just stop using it since the laser hardpoints are limited.

And is having the XL360 too much as i've noticed i'm running at the same speed as most mediums for something that's the same size of an assault mech.

I usually build my mechs to be pure brawlers or pure long range support and this is the first mech i have that can split those roles evenly being able to mount both UAC20 and LRMs

Edited by Viersche, 03 March 2021 - 10:54 PM.

#13 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:26 AM

This thread was 4 years old and any information in it is likely badly outdated.

Anyways, mixed loadouts tend to be suboptimal use of resources. I'd recommend focusing on a single range bracket.

#14 S E 7 E N

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 01:04 PM

The funny onion is a brawler at heart, stick some srm6x4 with art and either an lbx 20 or a ultra ac20.

A content creator on youtube said it best..."forget bracket builds, forget every situation builds, build your mech to do one thing and do it well. The other "things"...are what your team mates are for."

Wise words if you ask me...

-x se7en x-

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users