How Long Does It Take You To Get It Right?

53 replies to this topic

#1 Tam Wolfcry

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPortland

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:29 PM

The state of the game is horrid. When basic principles like matching are so uneven, please tell me what the point is of playing? This game is what? two years old now? It isn't fun.

Out of the last 30 games that I've played, the majority of them have been completely one sided battles. Why do you even bother with pilot rating if clearly you aren't using it for matching purposes?

My last game took the cake when it rolled out our side with one assault class mech. WTF is your matching program doing? Seriously. WTF is it doing? because it sure as hell doesn't make any sense.

Clearly you don't take ECM into account still, even though it has a huge impact on gameplay. I am still part of matches where one side has no ECM at all vs a side with multiple ECM mechs.

Do you use a matching algorithm? or do you simply take the next mech in the queue that fits the lance opening?

I am truly boggled by this game. Finding a match that is even remotely even is a true gem.

I am also confused as to how you determine pilot rating. Clearly you don't take a mech's role in the game into account. All that matters is winning and damage. If you win, your rating goes up. If you lose, pray you did insane damage because then you might not have your rating go down. That sums it up. Just toss that out and flip the proverbial coin. Due to the lopsided matching, the actual chance that your skill has anything to do with whether your rating goes up or down is minimal.

WTF?

#2 Tyler Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:37 PM

Losing streaks happen and confirmation bias is strong. Sometimes it feels like you're losing more than you actually are and sometimes you just have a bad day. No biggie. Balance ain't half bad right now.

#3 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:47 PM

The MM has given me losing teams for weeks now.

I quit playing.

Maybe in a few weeks or months, the tier 3's who belong in tier 4 or 5 will be bumped down to their native habitat and everything will even out.

Posted Image

#4 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:51 PM

Well... seems like someone is late to the party.

#5 MOBAjobg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:51 PM

I've witnessed feats of greatness from time to time because of an awesome commander calling the "right" shots.

I've also seen individual pilots racking in many kills that turns around a losing game quite frequently.

So, the above mentioned situations or skills are happening in my games.

#6 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:02 PM

View PostTam Wolfcry, on 28 June 2016 - 04:29 PM, said:

The state of the game is horrid. When basic principles like matching are so uneven, please tell me what the point is of playing?

Of all the problems MWO has, you just had to choose this particular "problem" to whine about.

Well then, please go ahead and show us all a mathematically sound equation that can perfectly create perfectly matched teams, taking into consideration player skill, Mechs, weapons/equipment loadout, and player population at time of drop. Posted Image

Clearly you don't take ECM into account still, even though it has a huge impact on gameplay. I am still part of matches where one side has no ECM at all vs a side with multiple ECM mechs.

ECM? Balance ECM?

What about gauss rifles? Lasers? UACs? Locusts?

Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 28 June 2016 - 05:14 PM.

#7 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:10 PM

This is a gloating troll topic.

#8 Odinvolk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationUnder The Atlas, Fixing A Hydraulics Leak

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:15 PM

OP, chill, pls. I take long-ish breaks from this game and can see the progress each time i dive back in. The game is in great state technically and game-play wise. Best its ever been. I myself used to get worked up against the devs on the forums, but really, take a break for 3 months and come back - you will see lots of improvements at ones, to appreciate all the progress.

CHeers

#9 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,737 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:20 PM

When basic principles like matching are so uneven, please tell me what the point is of playing? This game is what? two years old now? It isn't fun.

There are 5 tiers, likely with tier 3 being the largest of the tiers atm. And the PSR does not take into consideration on whether you are commanding, following commands, or doing your own thing while hoping your team is thinking the same thing.

I am sure you are aware that in the solo queue, the game is not pitting just you against another player in about the same league, it is pitting mix of 12 against 12, generally within the same tier when possible, and majority of the time those players have never played together. The game does not designate team co-captains/leaders. You can end up with one side who have players who are willing to speak, communicate with each,other, generally follow directions, not skiddus, bring decent builds and not in it just for themselves.

The other side has been lucky, have been on drops where there were someone giving directions and in general their team did well more often than not. But the other team is made up of followers, not leaders, those who might follow well but are not willing to step up nor have anyone stepping up to provide that direction. And people bringing junk builds, who are playing just for themselves at the moment and dont give a hoot on how the team does.

And that barely covers the solo pug queue. That brings to mind why are you even posting? What are your shortcomings? What do you do well in drops? How do you help your team? Do you expect your team mates to act like a controllable AI without even giving commands?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 28 June 2016 - 05:23 PM.

#10 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:23 PM

Huh, if the match maker's not working out for ya, why not try some Community Warfare. We don't even have a matchmaking system! Eh... Eeeh? Come on, give it a try.

~Leone.

#11 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:28 PM

I know a lot of people drop in pug queue, 20 games later they'll have 5 wins and 15 losses with almost all of those losses being 12-1 stomp games where their team got obliterated.

The next day the same thing will happen.

And the next day.

And the next day.

It took me about a week to go from tier 4 to tier 3.

Then it took me 3-4 weeks to go from tier 3 to tier 2.

About 2 months ago I was tier 4. Worked my way up the ladder.

Then for whatever reason the MM decided to give me an unusually high number of losing games where I consistently score in the top 3 highest damage for my team, usually. And for some strange reason a lot of my team mates dont manage to break 100 damage.

It does somewhat render the game unplayable.

But no problem. I'll be gone for a few weeks, maybe months. Hopefully I'll come back and things will be better.

Until then I can post on the forums and if anyone at PGI gets irritated, maybe they'll realize if they fix the MM I won't have to post here anymore. :T

Edited by I Zeratul I, 28 June 2016 - 05:29 PM.

#12 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:36 PM

This game's matchmaker needs a complete overhaul. PSR was a step in the right direction...but it's far too biased on your team's performance. Also, it needs to not be an xp bar...that is, players should not be "advancing" in PSR...they should quickly hit their tier and stay there. Only rarely, through noticeable improvement in skill should a player advance in PSR.

#13 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:51 PM

This thread is like a fat kid blaming his shoes for his inability to dunk.

#14 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:20 PM

First.....this game has been around longer than 2 years, so the issue is longer standing than that.

Second........I believe that it's not really the match makers problem. Given enough bodies to draw from it would most likely offer up some pretty evenly matched teams.

There are 2 problems here, numbers and momentum.

There simply are not enough players to create a large enough pool of players to give the match-maker a chance to bring many matches close to "even". Without the numbers, it defaults to less desirable options and you end up with poorly balanced "best it could do" sides. Just more evidence that the STEAM launch didn't provide the large permanent increase in players that this game so desperately needs.

As well, this game lends itself to one side gaining momentum and steam rolling the other. In most cases, once a team gets the upper hand by a couple of mechs, it's game over. Not in every case, but in the majority once your side is up by 3 mechs it gains a significant advantage and rolls onto victory.

#15 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:34 PM

The state of the game is horrid. When basic principles like matching are so uneven, please tell me what the point is of playing? This game is what? two years old now? It isn't fun.

Out of the last 30 games that I've played, the majority of them have been completely one sided battles. Why do you even bother with pilot rating if clearly you aren't using it for matching purposes?

My last game took the cake when it rolled out our side with one assault class mech. WTF is your matching program doing? Seriously. WTF is it doing? because it sure as hell doesn't make any sense.

Do you use a matching algorithm? or do you simply take the next mech in the queue that fits the lance opening?

I am truly boggled by this game. Finding a match that is even remotely even is a true gem.

I am also confused as to how you determine pilot rating. Clearly you don't take a mech's role in the game into account. All that matters is winning and damage. If you win, your rating goes up. If you lose, pray you did insane damage because then you might not have your rating go down. That sums it up. Just toss that out and flip the proverbial coin. Due to the lopsided matching, the actual chance that your skill has anything to do with whether your rating goes up or down is minimal.

WTF?

There are 5 tiers in matchmaking with a limited player base split between several major timezones. This isn't a stupidly popular game of CoD or Halo, it can only do so much to match people within certain ranges of tiers and mechs without having horridly long wait times. Its not other games where you're all the same effectively outside of your ranking, or where you choose characters/classes in the game after matchmaking is done.

I'd love to see you make a better niche game with a matchmaker that can sort a limited player base though, get back to us when you do.

#16 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:49 PM

In any loosing streak YOU are the only common denominator. Look at your own gameplay and see if you can improve. You can have the best game of your life and still loose. You may have been tactically sound but those around you not. That PUG life. And the group queue can be unforgiving too. I have a loosing overall record but know I am usually a solid player. I play with lots of newer people in my unit and we get beat a lot. But its still fun. To the OP if its not fun any more take a break.

#17 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:53 PM

View PostLemming of the BDA, on 28 June 2016 - 06:49 PM, said:

In any loosing streak YOU are the only common denominator.

And the 11 other dumbasses on your team. Posted Image

#18 Airwind

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:13 PM

View PostDeath Proof, on 28 June 2016 - 05:36 PM, said:

This game's matchmaker needs a complete overhaul. PSR was a step in the right direction...but it's far too biased on your team's performance. Also, it needs to not be an xp bar...that is, players should not be "advancing" in PSR...they should quickly hit their tier and stay there. Only rarely, through noticeable improvement in skill should a player advance in PSR.

even with PSR, imho it will still result in these complaints popping up. i can be good in my mastered Atlas, but then i decide to use a brand new Stalker. PSR dont mean **** then. or maybe i want to try out scouting with lights. or do something new entirely. even with PSR i can be one shot in a light. PSR dont help much in a game like this with so much variables.

this game is not chess.

#19 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:35 PM

Solo play is fun. The MM does great work with it.

Group play is not so fun, at least if you're in a very small group with players of widely variant tiers. The MM does not do good work at all in that situation.

Of course, streaks happen, and the best advice when in a losing streak is to walk away. Give it a few hours, or a few days, or whatever, but walk away before you burn yourself out on the game in frustration. Come back once you've had some time to reset and the MM has had some time to forget that it wants to screw you over.

#20 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:39 PM

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 28 June 2016 - 08:35 PM, said:

Solo play is fun. The MM does great work with it.

Group play is not so fun, at least if you're in a very small group with players of widely variant tiers. The MM does not do good work at all in that situation.

Of course, streaks happen, and the best advice when in a losing streak is to walk away. Give it a few hours, or a few days, or whatever, but walk away before you burn yourself out on the game in frustration. Come back once you've had some time to reset and the MM has had some time to forget that it wants to screw you over.

I wonder if having separate MM ranking for group and solo queue would make a difference.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users