• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 17 July 2016 - 03:59 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 17 July 2016 - 03:43 PM, said:

This whole situation is absurd.

We all kvetch over the latest nerf round.
Derek tried to take a middle of the road approach and in the end gets fed up with what he sees as our irrational whining and tells us the two proper places to respond (twitter and patch feed back thread of these forums).
People respond with "screw that" we want to talk here and/or I am not opening a twitter account.
So he does it for us in a good faith effort to promote dialog with PGI...PGI takes away his moderator status.

Here I thought we were all proudly a bunch of man children (I play this game as a hobby, so guilty), but PGI I think just proved who is the most juvenile. Well played PGI, well played. You just beat up a guy who volunteered to implicitly white knight for you in an official capacity, and explicitly did so as well. Some one give PGI a slow clap gif. Geezus.

Not sure that is the reason they took away his moderator status to be honest with you. I always got the impression that the guy was fed up with the community as a whole and treated people accordingly. I know there are others who know a lot more about this situation than I do but from an outsiders perspective, I would wager that he was dealt with in this manner because of the way he tended to speak to people. He just always seem rather abrasive and dismissive to me. But, I could be wrong. Only PGI and possibly Derek really knows.

#102 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:03 PM

View PostPat Kell, on 17 July 2016 - 03:59 PM, said:

Not sure that is the reason they took away his moderator status to be honest with you. I always got the impression that the guy was fed up with the community as a whole and treated people accordingly. I know there are others who know a lot more about this situation than I do but from an outsiders perspective, I would wager that he was dealt with in this manner because of the way he tended to speak to people. He just always seem rather abrasive and dismissive to me. But, I could be wrong. Only PGI and possibly Derek really knows.

There could certainly be more to it than my dismissive summary above, but I had been following the thread where he created the twitter account and to that extent I think my summary is fair. Were there other things going on, certainly could be the case. Either way, this is once again where a little communication from PGI could address a lot of ill will in the community; but they just can't be bothered. Just blows my mind is all.

#103 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:05 PM

Sheesh! Business picks up for a few days and I have to be away and I come back and DRAMA! happened and I didn't get to see it.

Damn it Bud! You are supposed to keep me informed.

On the positive side -- if there are two self-hating, punishment-loving masochists on these forums, PGI may have a job for you. You can guarantee you will receive little to no praise for any of your work. (I may just bee too harsh there but, really, forum mod is a synonym for punching-doll)

Edited by nehebkau, 17 July 2016 - 04:09 PM.

#104 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:07 PM

Derek seemed to almost have a split personality when it came to the forums, sometimes he spoke like a moderator should(to begin with) and sometimes he spoke like one of us.

The last post about quirks and setting up a twitter account to get things noticed was pretty inflammatory for a moderator from my point of view.

Both him and Andi are no longer green so it would appear that their moderator status has been revoked.

PGI will get some new ones soon enough and they still wont pay much attention to what is said in the forums so no change really.

Shame really cause I didnt mind Derek, when he was on his game.

#105 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:24 PM

View PostCarl Vickers, on 17 July 2016 - 04:07 PM, said:

Derek seemed to almost have a split personality when it came to the forums, sometimes he spoke like a moderator should(to begin with) and sometimes he spoke like one of us.

The last post about quirks and setting up a twitter account to get things noticed was pretty inflammatory for a moderator from my point of view.

Both him and Andi are no longer green so it would appear that their moderator status has been revoked.

PGI will get some new ones soon enough and they still wont pay much attention to what is said in the forums so no change really.

Shame really cause I didnt mind Derek, when he was on his game.

They won't get any new ones, they already have many; they just don't ever say anything and rarely do they do anything unless it's exceptionally egregious or is the result of some #triggered reporting something.

#106 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:31 PM

View PostTelemachus Rheade, on 17 July 2016 - 03:14 PM, said:

Is this tongue and cheek, or did this actually happen? I've only been playing this game for about two years, but only recently did I start lurking the forums...

it actually happened

#107 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,071 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:32 PM

please by all means flood the twitter with all the whiney posts about stuff you are sad about. maybe then he will abandon that line too.

#108 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:34 PM

View Postnehebkau, on 17 July 2016 - 04:05 PM, said:

Sheesh! Business picks up for a few days and I have to be away and I come back and DRAMA! happened and I didn't get to see it.

On the positive side -- if there are two self-hating, punishment-loving masochists on these forums, PGI may have a job for you. You can guarantee you will receive little to no praise for any of your work. (I may just bee too harsh there but, really, forum mod is a synonym for punching-doll)

Ill sign up! I qualify and ppl already give me all the hate they could

#109 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:35 PM

View Postnehebkau, on 17 July 2016 - 04:05 PM, said:

I summarized it above Posted Image

Honestly, you didn't miss much...just PGI being PGI. Ignoring community, irritating folks, etc. The usual.

Edited by Bud Crue, 17 July 2016 - 04:36 PM.

#110 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

View PostLordNothing, on 17 July 2016 - 04:32 PM, said:

please by all means flood the twitter with all the whiney posts about stuff you are sad about. maybe then he will abandon that line too.

has twitter ever worked?

#111 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Honestly none of this matters. Even if Russ woke up suddenly they could never get anything done before riots and civil war break out. We will be fighting for food and shelter soon so gaming won't be a priority.

It's over. Be glad we have had what we got.

#112 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,071 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:36 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 17 July 2016 - 04:35 PM, said:

has twitter ever worked?

i dont know, but it seems russ does actually answer questions there. how many has he answered on the forums? i am not going to use twitter.

so many people complain about the small stuff when there are glaring big picture concerns that require far more complaining.

Edited by LordNothing, 17 July 2016 - 04:38 PM.

#113 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:40 PM

They prolly cop less swear words in 140 characters or less cause they have 140 characters or less to type in their issue which is why it is used.

#114 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:53 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 17 July 2016 - 04:36 PM, said:

i dont know, but it seems russ does actually answer questions there. how many has he answered on the forums? i am not going to use twitter.

so many people complain about the small stuff when there are glaring big picture concerns that require far more complaining.

yeah but after four or so years of complaining about big stuff and being ignored it gets tiring and ppl instead go for the easy stuff

View PostCarl Vickers, on 17 July 2016 - 04:40 PM, said:

They prolly cop less swear words in 140 characters or less cause they have 140 characters or less to type in their issue which is why it is used.

Its funny, the one time I twittered or however ppl say it to these guys, they didnt really reply then banned me during a vacation from both Twitter AND MWO

#115 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:47 PM

So... Derek got canned because he dared try to foster dev/player communication? If that is truly so, then my wallet just closed, locked, and sealed to PGI forever even if they release every 'mech and feature I've ever asked for.

#116 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:54 PM

AIncoming nuke, I see a green name in the ppl watching this thread

View PostMole, on 17 July 2016 - 05:47 PM, said:

So... Derek got canned because he dared try to foster dev/player communication? If that is truly so, then my wallet just closed, locked, and sealed to PGI forever even if they release every 'mech and feature I've ever asked for.

Yeah but thats always been the case hasnt it? They hired niko snow for ffs then RE hired that guy when he was the worst of the worst

#117 Mechwarrior1441491

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:00 PM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 17 July 2016 - 04:35 PM, said:

Honestly none of this matters. Even if Russ woke up suddenly they could never get anything done before riots and civil war break out. We will be fighting for food and shelter soon so gaming won't be a priority.

It's over. Be glad we have had what we got.

Canada will be fine watching it burn with our maple syrup popcorn.

#118 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:00 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 17 July 2016 - 04:53 PM, said:

yeah but after four or so years of complaining about big stuff and being ignored it gets tiring and ppl instead go for the easy stuff

Its funny, the one time I twittered or however ppl say it to these guys, they didnt really reply then banned me during a vacation from both Twitter AND MWO

Cant have logical and well thought out ideas in this game, they are nice things and they are not allowed in MWO.

#119 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:06 PM

View PostPat Kell, on 17 July 2016 - 12:11 PM, said:

Guys, I see a lot of people here that seem amazed that PGI (if they in fact did this) got rid of some of these Mods and that just shocks me. Mods are supposed to remain neutral and only make sure posts are not going to get the company sued. View them as a less powerful HR department. These mods were advocating ideas, moving posts they didn't agree with and honest being incredibly rude and disrespectful to people in the forums. I was quite honestly shocked that it took PGI so long to make this move.

Being a moderator is a thankless job and you have to be able to do it with a smile. If you can't do that, MWO can and SHOULD find someone who can. Look some of you guys are just rude mean downright nasty people sometimes to PGI and the mods but that doesn't matter. The moment the mod starts pointing things out like this in public and starts responding in kind, his/her time is over, that's it.

I don't have near as many posts as a lot of you guys in here but I have been talked to in private once for posting foul language. This moderator did things the right way and I respected him for it. This was the only time any of my posts have caused an issue until recently when one of our threads on the long tom was moved to jettisoned communications or whatever because

"Topic being moved to Jettisoned Communications as its OP and allot of the Post are Sour,
for Everyone willing to Constructively Contribute to Change in Faction Play and to LongToms,
Please Post your Thoughts and Ideas in the Faction Play Sub forums, Thank You"

This is an absolutely unacceptable way of dealing with a post. If something in the thread was against some forum rule, fine deal with it in private but this mod moved the post, called "allot" of it's contributors sour and suggested that we weren't being constructive. I have seen 2 different mods acting this way recently and it appears that both of them are now no longer mods and this is the right thing to do. Stop blaming PGI for everything, this was the mods fault. Doesn't matter if they were doing it for free, that doesn't mean that PGI has to sit back and watch as these mods even further damage their name. This one is on the mods, pure and simple.

I tend to agree with you a lot Pat but on this one I'm dubious.

Two mods got motivated by the exceptional outcry over Long Tom. They tried their existing channels to try and get that concern heard and that got stopped. So they started looking at other ways to help get the concerns there were, ostensibly, in place to help identify and get heard heard and got canned for it.

One could argue that they overstepped their bounds as moderators by trying to help the players convey to the developers issues that were legitimately game-breaking and a threat to the functionality of the games community in the long term....

for which they got booted.

While there was some initial argument on the topic (the thread that got jettisoned you referenced) The mod involved took a second look at the topic and came to agree with it and then started a thread asking players what they would want to replace LT with. He also offered to speak to Tina about coming changes and what options there were.

Annnnddd.....

PUNT.

While I appreciate the concern that mods would get invested in a side on an argument one could argue they should - they should be on the side of helping the community communicate. That's the underlying purpose of the job, right? Clean up static, inappropriate behavior and keep communication lines clear and functional.

Currently we have no effective way to convey problems to PGI. At all. When we attempt to do so we get shut down and ignored. Look at the proposed changes to LT - there is no way, no way that came from any understanding what so ever of the concerns about LT. So we have no means at all to communicate with PGI. They've made it clear they absolutely don't want to hear us.

What options does that leave?

#120 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:09 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 17 July 2016 - 06:06 PM, said:

What options does that leave?

well being that this has been the case for like four years now, option a would be leaving

21 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 21 guests, 0 anonymous users