When Mastering Clan Mechs Do You Use The Same Build 3 Times?

41 replies to this topic

#21 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:56 AM

yes and no, depends on the mech, generally when a mech is entirely new, its different ones to test the builds, when a new variant appears that doesn't really offer a new tactic or playstyle I just take the most efficient to quickly level it.

#22 Coolant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:35 AM

yes....

#23 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:41 AM

View PostRaso, on 20 July 2016 - 07:37 AM, said:

Like the title says. When you're mastering Clan mechs do you try to use the same, finely tuned build on all 3 mechs or do you use the different mechs for different roles?

Personally, I try to justify the mechs by using them differently in different roles. The Timber Wolf, for example, I have a version with LLas in the side torsos and Mlas in the arms but then I have another version which uses the CT mounted laser to supplement it's ST mounted lasers and SRM racks.

Depends which Clan mech it is, I see no point in using any Arctic Cheetah than ECM, small pulse lasers

I also in the end did a cheesy 2 ERLL and streak 6 build, on my Summoner.

The rest all had different builds for variety

#24 McDarnit

Rookie

• The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUK - Midlands

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:59 AM

I tend to build mine all the same as I have limited playtime. If I keep the same playstyle on a mech then it makes it easier for me to hit all the X2 multipliers on 3 mechs in one session.

#25 Belacose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 539 posts
  • LocationArlington Texas

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:00 PM

Now, yes.

Back when I mastered my first set of three variants, Shadow Cats, I didn't even know what Omni-Mechs were let alone Omni-Pods. Was even playing a fully Mastered SHC-B without even knowing what MASC was. The only thing I had sense enough to figure out at the time was how to swap out the medium lasers and missiles for 2 X LPL.

Yes, I'm one of those guys who fresh out of the tutorial jumped right into Quick Drops like a chicken with my head cut off. Always welcomed "advice" from those frustrated whilst spectating through my Shadow Cat's cockpit. "Use your MASC!"

#26 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:05 PM

View PostRaso, on 20 July 2016 - 07:37 AM, said:

Like the title says. When you're mastering Clan mechs do you try to use the same, finely tuned build on all 3 mechs or do you use the different mechs for different roles?

Personally, I try to justify the mechs by using them differently in different roles. The Timber Wolf, for example, I have a version with LLas in the side torsos and Mlas in the arms but then I have another version which uses the CT mounted laser to supplement it's ST mounted lasers and SRM racks.

I would find that egregiously boring.

In fact, if I can't find significantly unique builds to differentiate mechs, I sell off the variants once Elited (not even mastered... why master a mech I'm not keeping?)

In fact, I have several Lights I need to finish eliting, so I can sell off the extras, like the Wolfhound. Oh Look...Laser Vomit... and more laservomit...and oh, another variant! Laser vomit again!!!

It's probably why Centurions, Hunchbacks, Orions and Awesomes hold my attention better than most chassis... so much variety within the family.

#27 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:32 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 July 2016 - 12:05 PM, said:

I would find that egregiously boring.

In fact, if I can't find significantly unique builds to differentiate mechs, I sell off the variants once Elited (not even mastered... why master a mech I'm not keeping?)

In fact, I have several Lights I need to finish eliting, so I can sell off the extras, like the Wolfhound. Oh Look...Laser Vomit... and more laservomit...and oh, another variant! Laser vomit again!!!

It's probably why Centurions, Hunchbacks, Orions and Awesomes hold my attention better than most chassis... so much variety within the family.

OMG, the original mediums were so good at being diverse and unique. It's a shame that trend fell apart.

#28 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:35 PM

View PostRaso, on 20 July 2016 - 12:32 PM, said:

OMG, the original mediums were so good at being diverse and unique. It's a shame that trend fell apart.

Well, sadly, TT Btech designs fell away from interesting for the most part post 3055 or so, with almost everything running homogeneous "meta" builds. Did see a little more variety overall show up again in the 307 TRO at least. But I found 3058 and 3060 to be soooooo boring for precisely that reason.

#29 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:39 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 July 2016 - 12:35 PM, said:

Well, sadly, TT Btech designs fell away from interesting for the most part post 3055 or so, with almost everything running homogeneous "meta" builds. Did see a little more variety overall show up again in the 307 TRO at least. But I found 3058 and 3060 to be soooooo boring for precisely that reason.

That is a shame.

Personally, I can't stand piloting the same mech for more than several games in a row. without becoming bored. The fact that even the original game went full metatard when designing their new mechs is, frankly, depressing.

#30 Red Shrike

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:42 PM

To date, I've not mastered a single Clan mech. For 2 reasons:

1) They're too expensive to buy another two when I already have one.
2) Why would I buy multiple when I only use one of them?

#31 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:48 PM

View PostRed Shrike, on 20 July 2016 - 12:42 PM, said:

To date, I've not mastered a single Clan mech. For 2 reasons:

1) They're too expensive to buy another two when I already have one.
2) Why would I buy multiple when I only use one of them?

I am only now on my second variant of a clan mech for that very reason. In planning my 3rd mech's build I came to realize I had already used the two builds I'd end up wanting to use anyway. I feel kinda bummed out I can't think of a 3rd build I'd like. I want that double efficiency on my heat containment and speed tweak, though, so I'm going for my 3rd Timber Wolf soon.

#32 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:51 PM

Never - I always use different builds. For instance, on my Mad Dogs that are still in the Basics stages, I have

MDD-Pr: 4x SRM6A+ 5x cSPL
MDD-A: 4x SRM4 + LB20-X
MDD-C: gauss + 2PPC

On my Ice Ferrets, I did

IFR-Pr: 4x cMPL + cERSL
IFR-A: 5x cERML
IFR-D: 5x cSPL

On my Arctic Cheetahs, I did

ACH-Pr: 6x cERML
ACH-C: 6x cSPL
ACH- heck, I don't even remember what variant it was, because I GXP'd it. Cheetah only really has two builds, and I was too lazy to grind out one of them twice. =P

Edited by Tarogato, 20 July 2016 - 12:56 PM.

#33 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:07 PM

Depends. Sometimes the build I want to put on the mech is pretty niche and will be a pain to grind out in quick play. In that case I'll use a more quick play friendly build and then switch it out once I've elited the mech.

#34 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:55 PM

View PostTarogato, on 20 July 2016 - 12:51 PM, said:

Never - I always use different builds. For instance, on my Mad Dogs that are still in the Basics stages, I have

MDD-Pr: 4x SRM6A+ 5x cSPL
MDD-A: 4x SRM4 + LB20-X
MDD-C: gauss + 2PPC

On my Ice Ferrets, I did

IFR-Pr: 4x cMPL + cERSL
IFR-A: 5x cERML
IFR-D: 5x cSPL

On my Arctic Cheetahs, I did

ACH-Pr: 6x cERML
ACH-C: 6x cSPL
ACH- heck, I don't even remember what variant it was, because I GXP'd it. Cheetah only really has two builds, and I was too lazy to grind out one of them twice. =P

If you didn't paint at least one ACH orange, name it Samus and pop either an ERPPC or at least an LPL in the RA.... you deserve to have all your ACH removed from your acct.

#35 Telemachus -Salt Wife Salt Life-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 364 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:58 PM

Stuff like the shadowcat and arctic cheetah, there are really only 2 builds each that are viable. Use whatever is fun for you.

#36 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:32 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 July 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

If you didn't paint at least one ACH orange, name it Samus and pop either an ERPPC or at least an LPL in the RA.... you deserve to have all your ACH removed from your acct.

Both of my ACH are orange because that is one of my unit's official colours.

Also, I did have an ERPPC on one of them for a couple days because that's the build Envisage wanted me to run for his LRMs vs Meta match. It was fun to practice, but frustratingly the least effective mech I've even driven. Panther, Adder, or Vindicator with dual peeps far outperform. Even the Spider with single ERPPC would probably be better.

#37 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,060 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:50 PM

i usually buy mechs in triplicate and level them in parallel. which means unless i want to buy duplicate omnipods, i usually just keep the stock configuration. sometimes i will swap pods to get a certain loadout.

#38 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:13 PM

No the fun is playing different thing. With one exception, i basic'd the SCR with the Prime loadout on the 3 because it was just the stupidest most insane op mech i had ever seen. I still have one with with a kdr of 16 lol.

#39 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:22 PM

I rarely play thread same build two games in a row, mastering 3 identical variants is unthinkable.

#40 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:28 PM

I tend to, yes. I normally pick a build that will let me play in a familiar style and grind XP. I can't really get a good feeling for most mechs until they're elited, so I'd rather get a chassis to that point before I start experimenting with builds.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users