Tourmaline Is Perfect

6 replies to this topic

#1 Appuagab

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:53 PM

This is the only REALLY GOOD map of MWO.

Perfect combination of wide open spaces and reliable covers.

«Cover« means «cover» on this map, not «tubes and roots and mazes of buildings where everyone's getting stuck and blocking the way for teammates».

This map is not one-dimensional. Many of other maps have their single point where everyone goes almost every time, just ONE SINGLE PLACE on the entire huge map. Cauldron on Terra Therma, citadel on River City (even after rework, but less often now), mountain on Alpine (btw why Alpine is still a thing in 2016?). From all other maps Tourmaline has the largest area that is actually used for combat. It's asymmetrical but balanced.

Returning to dimensions, Tourmaline has the best height differences from all maps. Not just two flat layers like on River City, Canyon and Bog, there's real complex relief. And unlike Canyon or Bog you don't have to look for just ONE passage where you can elevate. Since jumpjets are nerfed as hell now, lack of passability makes other maps very frustrating.

Low NASCARing potential. BTW Frozen City lost this feature after rework.

Since spawn points are quite distant from each other and team's route from start varies from time to time, assaults are rarely getting rekt by lights in first seconds of the match. You also won't catch PPC shot in your face the exact moment you leave spawn point if you are a bit late (hello, Mining Collective).

It has good vision. I know, we play SIMULATOR here, but spending most of the game in monochrome mode is not very entertaining and pleasant for eyes.

It looks cool.

This map is a masterpiece of leveldesign. It's absolutely perfect in every single aspect. I love it. The only bad thing about it is that people usually vote for colder maps (thanks voting system for 24/7 Manifold).

Grim Plexus and Polar Highlands share many of these advantages but they are too favorable for LRM cancer. Anyway good to see that new maps are closer to the Best Map.

Tourmaline is love. Tourmaline is life.

#2 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:00 AM

not entirely,

I have to say I really enjoy tourmaline, one of the maps, that does not need an overhaul, except some places with geometry hitbox fixes.

however, nearly all the time the battles happen at the same area, which is a bit sad. But generally I like the map a lot.

Edited by Lily from animove, 21 July 2016 - 09:41 AM.

#3 Alienized

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:09 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 21 July 2016 - 04:00 AM, said:

however, nearly all the time the battles happen at the same srea, which is a bit sad. But generally I like the map a lot.

exactly why that map needs to get looked at. there is no need to change the map overall but that area needs to be redone. i think it was E6/F6 its C5/D5

Edited by Alienized, 21 July 2016 - 08:15 AM.

#4 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:42 AM

View PostAlienized, on 21 July 2016 - 08:09 AM, said:

exactly why that map needs to get looked at. there is no need to change the map overall but that area needs to be redone. i think it was E6/F6 its C5/D5

it's not that rea thats the issue, it's more like the other areas being deathtraps for whoever steps into them and tries to atay there. .

#5 Alienized

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:52 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 21 July 2016 - 09:42 AM, said:

it's not that rea thats the issue, it's more like the other areas being deathtraps for whoever steps into them and tries to atay there. .

not true, i often use them for flanking. it serves it very well. no, you cant move a complete force through it i guess but there is no need for it. couple of fats mechs are enough. but these ultimate camping areas on each map are painful

#6 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:00 AM

Polar is a good Map , with his large Field of Open Terrains and Trenches ,and flat rolling snowhills

#7 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:14 PM

View PostAppuagab, on 20 July 2016 - 06:53 PM, said:

This is the only REALLY GOOD map of MWO.

Perfect combination of wide open spaces and reliable covers.

«Cover« means «cover» on this map, not «tubes and roots and mazes of buildings where everyone's getting stuck and blocking the way for teammates».

This map is not one-dimensional. Many of other maps have their single point where everyone goes almost every time, just ONE SINGLE PLACE on the entire huge map. Cauldron on Terra Therma, citadel on River City (even after rework, but less often now), mountain on Alpine (btw why Alpine is still a thing in 2016?). From all other maps Tourmaline has the largest area that is actually used for combat. It's asymmetrical but balanced.

Returning to dimensions, Tourmaline has the best height differences from all maps. Not just two flat layers like on River City, Canyon and Bog, there's real complex relief. And unlike Canyon or Bog you don't have to look for just ONE passage where you can elevate. Since jumpjets are nerfed as hell now, lack of passability makes other maps very frustrating.

Low NASCARing potential. BTW Frozen City lost this feature after rework.

Since spawn points are quite distant from each other and team's route from start varies from time to time, assaults are rarely getting rekt by lights in first seconds of the match. You also won't catch PPC shot in your face the exact moment you leave spawn point if you are a bit late (hello, Mining Collective).

It has good vision. I know, we play SIMULATOR here, but spending most of the game in monochrome mode is not very entertaining and pleasant for eyes.

It looks cool.

This map is a masterpiece of leveldesign. It's absolutely perfect in every single aspect. I love it. The only bad thing about it is that people usually vote for colder maps (thanks voting system for 24/7 Manifold).

Grim Plexus and Polar Highlands share many of these advantages but they are too favorable for LRM cancer. Anyway good to see that new maps are closer to the Best Map.

Tourmaline is love. Tourmaline is life.

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 22 July 2016 - 02:00 AM, said:

Polar is a good Map , with his large Field of Open Terrains and Trenches ,and flat rolling snowhills

A wet or snow version of Tourmaline would be better than Polar Highlands ever will be.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users