#41 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:56 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 22 July 2016 - 05:29 AM, said:

They want to get some from players, they'll have to give some as Personal Challenge Event Rewards. It's never a 'take without giving' relationship. Posted Image

LoL I would agree, but considering this is a F2P game, the above statement could actually go the other way too. Its all about perspective...

I really don't play a lot of other games, but as far as F2P goes, the fact that you can be viable in any aspect of this game without spending a dime makes it funny how people demand and expect so much free stuff... Seriously, you can drop in CW with 3 Warhammers (for cbills) and a cicada/light and pull your own weight just fine.

Its like any startup, the company throws out freebies to get the word out while they're still flush with dat startup ca$h, at some point they reign it in and prove solvency.

There is no contract stating "PGI is obligated to provide free X, Y & Z", heck they aren't even obligated to do these events. They deliver on what they are contractually obligated to deliver; mech packs, services at a cost, and a game you can play for free.

And don't forget they have one hell of an awesome customer service dept.

So I don't really get the whole "They should give us this or that for free" thing.

You can ask, beg, suggest, but don't say they "should" or "must" because they don't.

Edited by MovinTarget, 22 July 2016 - 07:03 AM.

#42 MaD hAtTeR nInJa

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 24 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:09 AM

Really dislike two things, supply caches, another money grab so they can "add" something without actually adding anything. And the fact they only give one key for this event.

#43 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:15 AM

"It's all a money grab!"

*Promptly sells Caches for CBills*

"See?!"

#44 -Skyrider-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 157 posts
  • Locationall about that Seattle life

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:53 AM

viper needs structure quirks. this will be a low scoring event board, unless you run a ranged viper

#45 Mycroft000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 511 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:24 AM

The Viper is fine, I'm running the A with 5x ERSL and averaging 4-600 damage, frequently surviving.

#46 Talos7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 130 posts
  • LocationCesspool that is post 2016 Washington DC

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:35 AM

Very easy personal challenge. Couldn't we make it a bit harder or longer lasting? ( That's what she said Posted Image )

Also enjoyed seeing how much damage the newest Clan "light" 'mech could take. Definitely plan to procure them when it comes available for C-Bills. Seemed quite nimble and on par with a more compact Cicada, at least from the side of the one shooting them.

#47 Mycroft000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 511 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:48 AM

I haven't played the Cicada, but I can definitely say the Viper jumps so high, I'm running Shock Absorbance.

#48 Kurbeks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 337 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:52 AM

No more free 100 MC's :(

#49 RazerThrone07

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:02 PM

View PostTalos7, on 22 July 2016 - 11:35 AM, said:

Very easy personal challenge. Couldn't we make it a bit harder or longer lasting? ( That's what she said Posted Image )

Also enjoyed seeing how much damage the newest Clan "light" 'mech could take. Definitely plan to procure them when it comes available for C-Bills. Seemed quite nimble and on par with a more compact Cicada, at least from the side of the one shooting them.

The Viper is the newest Clan "medium" mech without structural quirks, operating extremely hot.

#50 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:04 PM

View PostMaD hAtTeR nInJa, on 22 July 2016 - 07:09 AM, said:

Really dislike two things, supply caches, another money grab so they can "add" something without actually adding anything. And the fact they only give one key for this event.

well, sicne they do not contain any essential things for the game, how are they a money grab? they cna only grab money someone is unlogically willing to spent. They do not ahrm any game features or alter any game designs at all.

#51 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:57 PM

While this Personal Challenge doesn't feature it as a reward, we are not eliminating MC as reward items for future events and personal challenges.

#52 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:04 PM

Top five of each leaderboard is still 1000MC payout. With six variants, 30 people are going to end the event 1000MC richer.

#53 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 730 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:13 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 22 July 2016 - 12:33 AM, said:

And now I'll just wait for PGI to wipe the smug looks off both your faces by still rewarding with tiny amounts, since they seem to enjoy doing that to everyone, regardless of who they are. Posted Image

Unfortunately for you two, I don't get smug looks on my face. Heck, PGI has yet to cause me to have any kind of smile for more than a short time over anything. Posted Image

~Mr. D. V. "Reminder: We all started out as F2P, so PGI can't turn into tightwads if they wish to flourish." Devnull

Why on earth would I have a smug face seeing the direction this is going?
And if they actually proved me wrong, why the heck would that erase any kind of smile I could have at that time?
Maybe it's a little hard to understand the underlying idea of my post?

EDIT: Oh look, Alexander Garden confirmed MC is still a reward. See? NOW I'm smiling.

Edited by PraetorGix, 22 July 2016 - 03:14 PM.

#54 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 730 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:17 PM

View PostOoorky, on 22 July 2016 - 06:33 AM, said:

I just wasted 25 MC...

Working as intended.. You really can't blame PGI or even complain for that matter, you (I hope) knew what you were getting yourself into.

#55 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 730 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:21 PM

View PostAlexander Garden, on 22 July 2016 - 01:57 PM, said:

While this Personal Challenge doesn't feature it as a reward, we are not eliminating MC as reward items for future events and personal challenges.

Thank you for clarifying that. I really appreciate that you're the only official face to ever show in the forums lately.
Speaking of which, shouldn't this post have been made by the community manager? Isn't that kind of announcements the ones a community manager should take care of?

#56 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:44 PM

Huh... so much happens while you're gone....... Catch-up time!

View PostMovinTarget, on 22 July 2016 - 06:56 AM, said:

View PostD V Devnull, on 22 July 2016 - 05:29 AM, said:

They want to get some from players, they'll have to give some as Personal Challenge Event Rewards. It's never a 'take without giving' relationship. Posted Image

LoL I would agree, but considering this is a F2P game, the above statement could actually go the other way too. Its all about perspective...

I really don't play a lot of other games, but as far as F2P goes, the fact that you can be viable in any aspect of this game without spending a dime makes it funny how people demand and expect so much free stuff... Seriously, you can drop in CW with 3 Warhammers (for cbills) and a cicada/light and pull your own weight just fine.

Its like any startup, the company throws out freebies to get the word out while they're still flush with dat startup ca$h, at some point they reign it in and prove solvency.

There is no contract stating "PGI is obligated to provide free X, Y & Z", heck they aren't even obligated to do these events. They deliver on what they are contractually obligated to deliver; mech packs, services at a cost, and a game you can play for free.

And don't forget they have one hell of an awesome customer service dept.

So I don't really get the whole "They should give us this or that for free" thing.

You can ask, beg, suggest, but don't say they "should" or "must" because they don't.

I agree with your sentiments completely, as I would not want PGI to actively run themselves under for Real $$$. At the same time, and please don't get take my words in some wrong way here, part of what helps MWO to grow and keep growing is Good Public Relations and a Good Reputation, which includes avoiding making things smell like a 'Real $$$ Cash Grab'. With things like the recent (and rather harsh, as some would note) changes to the Catapult and Nova (and several others) Mech Quirks, then throwing in things like the Supply Caches, followed by the initial lack of transparency around the recent Minimap Changes, and finally the ham-handed slam to a lot of players with the 'FW, Phase 3' release, there are quite a lot of Mech Pilots who feel like they've been smacked in the face, both paying and not. If PGI didn't use their best counter, and keep their F2P base happy with good reward for the effort they're placing into MWO, it could cause everything to fall apart through loss of that reputation, and then PGI would end up under for 'Real $$$ Solvency'. Where we would all be then, I rather much don't know. :unsure:

Just for reference, I really don't try, but I sometimes find myself being an echo of many Mech Pilots' sentiments on matters that come up. I've accidentally spooked myself by doing this a few times now, as I find that I have this accidental timing of posting before the rest of them arrive. :(

By the way, speaking of Good Public Relations and Good Reputation, we have this awesome note right here...

Alex, I'm extremely glad to hear this, and I am sure many others will be. I'll be looking forward to earning more with future Events and Personal Challenges. (Heck, I would even throw in an emote with two thumbs up around a happy face right here, if one were in the available set of emoji for posting.) :D

View PostPraetorGix, on 22 July 2016 - 03:21 PM, said:

<<<snip>>>

Thank you for clarifying that. I really appreciate that you're the only official face to ever show in the forums lately.
Speaking of which, shouldn't this post have been made by the community manager? Isn't that kind of announcements the ones a community manager should take care of?

That's not always the case, at least in my opinion. Alex is the "Customer Support Lead" after all, so it could easily be seen as their place to pop in and communicate with us. He is supporting the player base, also known as the customer, by communicating with us, right? :)

~D. V. "Good Communication is always key to victory." Devnull

#57 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:29 PM

View PostMaD hAtTeR nInJa, on 22 July 2016 - 07:09 AM, said:

Really dislike two things, supply caches, another money grab so they can &quot;add&quot; something without actually adding anything. And the fact they only give one key for this event.

You are upset that you are only getting one free key for your two free lockboxes?

#58 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:57 PM

He's probably also upset that the air he breathes for free isn't mint flavoured.

#59 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:55 PM

Okay, good good, you had many people worried there! I was assuming that the caches were the reward for this week because they were just patched in, but one can never be too sure. Thanks for clarifying!

Edited by Pezzer, 22 July 2016 - 06:56 PM.

#60 Talos7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 130 posts
  • LocationCesspool that is post 2016 Washington DC

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:21 PM

View PostTalos7, on 22 July 2016 - 11:35 AM, said:

View PostRazerThrone07, on 22 July 2016 - 12:02 PM, said:

The Viper is the newest Clan "medium" mech without structural quirks, operating extremely hot.

....(sigh) You obviously didn't get the purpose of the "light" comment. It is a medium, see no quotes, but behaves much like that of a light 'mech; comparable to the Cicada mentioned.

Edit: cuz i dont know what the hell im doing half the time. I like pressing buttons!!

Edited by Talos7, 22 July 2016 - 09:28 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users