53 replies to this topic

#21 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:48 AM

View PostLocke2, on 25 July 2016 - 09:57 AM, said:

Best Beginner Heavy: Thunderbolts - all can be run with with either XL or standard engines
Best Overall Heavy: Warhammer - best builds require expensive XL engines, but a versatile platform
Most Versatile Heavy: Jaegers - they have good mount points and can do lots of different things, can run XL or standard
Toughest Heavy: Cataphracts - these are a bit outdated due to hard points, but they are versatile and take a beating

Jagers are not versatile at all. They are class cannon ballistic platforms.

#22 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:11 AM

Not to get off topic but for some reason every time I see a topic title like this one for some reason my first instinct is to scoff at the broken English used in the title.... then I remember they probably mean "Inner Sphere".

Back on topic I'd say most heavies can be made to work. They have great mobility and firepower across the board. But, IMHO, I would avoid Dragons and Grasshoppers. The rest really do make for solid builds if you make them properly.

#23 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 26 July 2016 - 09:57 AM

View PostRaso, on 26 July 2016 - 06:11 AM, said:

Back on topic I'd say most heavies can be made to work. They have great mobility and firepower across the board. But, IMHO, I would avoid Dragons and Grasshoppers. The rest really do make for solid builds if you make them properly.

Grasshoppers are still very capable, focused mechs, right up there with the Black Knight. I don't know why you'd lump them in with the Dragon, which is, to be quite frank, a very unfocused mech.

#24 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:05 AM

Everyone that says all mechs are just as good as each other is full of ****. You don't want to pilot a shitbox. The only people who say this suffer remorse from sunk cost of actually buying them with real money, or they have dozens and dozens of mechs, and can hop out of the ****** "neat" ones at any point. They don't actually have to grind dozens or hundreds of matches in the same ****** mechs like you will have to do if you let them fool you.

Avoid these especially:
Orion
Archer
Dragon
Cataphract

The Marauder is a solid choice if that is what you are going with. Don't touch any of the above until you're just bored with the game though.

#25 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 26 July 2016 - 07:21 PM

No remorse whatsoever with my choice of mechs to pilot primarily. None. Your opinion, which is all it is, may obviously vary.

Way to set the stage for yourself though, Moldur.

#26 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:05 AM

View PostVaskadar, on 26 July 2016 - 09:57 AM, said:

Grasshoppers are still very capable, focused mechs, right up there with the Black Knight. I don't know why you'd lump them in with the Dragon, which is, to be quite frank, a very unfocused mech.

Just not my style of a mech.

#27 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 756 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 12:49 AM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 24 July 2016 - 10:31 AM, said:

Rifleman (i don't own a single one, so no build recommendation from my side)

Try this Rifleman build: RFL-3N
The one i use, i think it would be very sutable to the OP, due to UAC5's being versitle and the mpl and sml lasers go well with the UAC5

jager version: JM6-DD

btw the jager version is one of my favorite mechs, a bit more brawly because you want to use those machine guns effectively, but the uacs will jam less frequently due to a jam chance quirk.

if those dont work, i think marauders and warhammers will be good choices as well ( i need to buy some)

EDIT: marauders are on sale s it would be a good idea to get em for that reason too.

Edited by Windscape, 05 August 2016 - 02:24 PM.

#28 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:13 AM

View PostSteel McLongshaft, on 26 July 2016 - 04:32 AM, said:

Thanks again for all the additional responses. It makes it hard due to varying opinions (as expected) but I think I'll settle for the Marauder.

Solid choice

#29 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:13 AM

According to well informed people (not me) none of the IS heavies are worth anything :P
/sarcasm off

Besides that Marauders, Grasshoppers, Warhammers and BlackKnights are capable of dishing out some serious ouchies .

#30 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:24 AM

Orions are actually better than people give them credit for. As the Trial Orion displays, they are quite powerful as Atlas-style brawlers.

#31 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:46 AM

The IS Orion is bottom tier in every category, it is not better than the other mechs in it's class, at anything.

It has no niche. There's no angle from which you can find an interesting use.

#32 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:09 PM

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 09 August 2016 - 09:46 AM, said:

The IS Orion is bottom tier in every category, it is not better than the other mechs in it's class, at anything.

I did say that it was best used as a Mini Atlas, didn't I? Because that is basically what it is, a Budget Atlas. Are you sure your not suffering from Binary Syndrome?

#33 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,868 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:54 PM

Also don't listen to the... persons... who imply or claim outright that 'mech packs are "pay to win." These people are liars - at best they're lying to themselves, at worst they're lying to you. Don't trust their opinions on the subject. Note that none of them talk about the Archer...

In any case, the point is that new doesn't always equal better - but PGI IS getting good at turning out balanced 'mechs.

PS: You are not "settling" for the Marauder - trust me, you'll enjoy the 'mech. Just don't turn sideways too far.

#34 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:53 PM

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 09 August 2016 - 09:46 AM, said:

No, just no. Orion is a lackluster mech to be sure but it is a decent old style brawler, not that that style is meta anymore, but still if you manage to pull it of (tactically speaking) a healthy enraged Orion pushing you at 200 meters is still a clear sign of impending doom.

That said of course that mech plays more like a light assault than a heavy and as a result I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for a first heavy mech. Actually I wouldn't recommend it to anyone not looking for one of the ultimate challenges in this game.

#35 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:31 AM

I would recommend Black Knight and Orion. Though i do agree with Brizna the Onion does play closer to a Zeus than a Black Knight.

The BK is amazing as a heavy although only energy weapons and they tend to run really hot.

#36 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:40 AM

Anyone here that thinks the Orion is a joke has never faced an SRM ON1-VA.

#37 Lynx OGrady

• PipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 39 posts
  • LocationWarhawk Cockpit

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:54 AM

I dont know why people are saying the Cataphract is bad. I've had some pretty stellar games with them. Two i use frequently are here.

CTF-1X
runs awesome. Group the torso ER's for good poking and the 3 in the arms for good damage.

ILYA MUROMETS
a ton lighter than their AC10 counterparts, which means 3 more tons for ammo, the triple LB10's can dish out loads of pain. Regularly hit 600-700 dmg and about... 2-4 kills in a match using this

#38 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:37 AM

there is not a single IS heavy to avoid.
its a matter of how you work it out with the loadouts and how your team plays.
some mechs have to rely too much on good and proper teamplay to be effective (highlanders, victors, dragons, phracts for example). they just dont have the minmax opportunities other mechs have but that doesnt mean there arent ways to make them useful.

its all about learning abilities of yourself.
what role is that mech effective? how can i position myself to make my mech and loadout work the best?
these are the important questions.

dont be closed minded and shy on taking advices even if its from someone in battle that died, moaning in the chat. there's most likely a reason why he died and you can improve and learn from that too.

#39 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:31 AM

View PostKeshav Murali, on 10 August 2016 - 03:40 AM, said:

Anyone here that thinks the Orion is a joke has never faced an SRM ON1-VA.

backing up or running away is soo difficult... lol @ brawler orion

#40 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:58 AM

Even when it goes 70+ kph? Even when it has as much DPS as an atlas-s -- and superior with SRM6s? (25% SRM cooldown)? Even when it has 50 additional torso hitpoints? Even when it has 35% TT rate, 25% accel/decel?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6265c8b3cccc927 for the purists, and

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b1afe5a45e70695 or
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...11a84342f4f0b4b
for maximum SRM punch.

I prefer to not take my chances when facing down an Orion. the IIC is less durable in general, but it also has more firepower than an Atlas, and still goes 75+ kph without any hassle.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users