Generator Sniping

15 replies to this topic

#1 SirSoggyDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:51 PM

In attack/defense games the generator in the E3-D2 is frequently sniped from outside the gates. While I don't think there is inherently a problem in this, I do take issue with the fact that it is exceptionally hard to prevent this from happening, as there is often little way to hit these snipers. Moving the generator much closer to Omega or rotating it would prevent snipers form taking it out so easily. Alternatively, shortening the hill in the F6-E5 corner would make this a far less common occurrence.

#2 Jables McBarty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:32 AM

Honestly, can't say I see this as a downside. It adds some "flavor" to this map, making it distinct from others.

If it really is such a problem, make it easier for defenders to counter it. Don't just push it further towards everything else, cutting out Line of Sight.

Bases can have structural weaknesses that weren't considered by their builders. It adds a note of realism.

#3 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:44 AM

It would be nice to be able to shoot the guys who are attacking the generator from outside the gates. Kind of hard to go outside the gates, while defending, if the gates havent been opened. If you have any number of people that far back in your base trying to shoot the one or two enemies on the gen, you can get rushed.

Seems like lowering the hill that the attackers use, moving the generator or putting something in the way so that the attacker doesnt have line of sight would be good options.

#4 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:07 PM

Just to clarify it's Generator 2 that's the one being killed from outside the base.

#5 Dyhalto

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:42 PM

The biggest issue with this is it forces the defense to either give up a generator on one of if not the easiest map to Gen rush or to have someone so far out of position to counter this that you are left fighting 11v12 for the first wave if the attackers push quickly.

Short video of the location in question.

#6 El Rizzo

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2020 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:58 AM

I have to agree that sniping gen2 is something that needs to be adressed, it is cheesy, very hard to counter and basically could be called an exploit as it essentially deprives the defenders of one generator against gen rushers (which itself is something that needs to be adressed).

View PostJables McBarty, on 02 August 2016 - 11:32 AM, said:

Bases can have structural weaknesses that weren't considered by their builders. It adds a note of realism.

If you really wanna talk about 'realism' in this game then the entire invasion mode is extremely unrealistic to begin with, no one with a single working brain cell would place gate generators directly behind said gates and place them high enough to be easily shot and destroyed from outside the walls. Furthermore, it is completely unrealistic that destroying generators actually OPENS the gates as it requires power to move them, not to keep them closed. Same goes for placing generators that are essential for the operation of the defense cannon in plain sight and with vulnerabilities that are easily accessible for enemies, it is completely UNrealistic, in my opinion at least and I'm sure others will agree.

#7 Joey Tankblaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 516 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:25 AM

Yep. Plz address this issue - remove the clan ER-Large Laser.

#8 Dyhalto

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:35 AM

View PostJoey Tankblaster, on 03 August 2016 - 04:25 AM, said:

Yep. Plz address this issue - remove the clan ER-Large Laser.

Let's try to a little less bias here both IS and clan can do this with ER-Large Laser, ER PPCs, A\C 2, and Gauss

#9 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:48 AM

Countersniping ... ever heard of it ?

Less QQ, moar PewPew aka be more flexible guys .

#10 Jables McBarty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:09 AM

View PostEl Rizzo, on 03 August 2016 - 03:58 AM, said:

I have to agree that sniping gen2 is something that needs to be adressed, it is cheesy, very hard to counter and basically could be called an exploit as it essentially deprives the defenders of one generator against gen rushers (which itself is something that needs to be adressed).

If you really wanna talk about 'realism' in this game then the entire invasion mode is extremely unrealistic to begin with, no one with a single working brain cell would place gate generators directly behind said gates and place them high enough to be easily shot and destroyed from outside the walls. Furthermore, it is completely unrealistic that destroying generators actually OPENS the gates as it requires power to move them, not to keep them closed. Same goes for placing generators that are essential for the operation of the defense cannon in plain sight and with vulnerabilities that are easily accessible for enemies, it is completely UNrealistic, in my opinion at least and I'm sure others will agree.

Oh I agree with everything you say about the "realism" of the game mode as a whole.

But I don't think sniping Gen 2 is a major problem.

#11 Joey Tankblaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 516 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:25 AM

But I don't think sniping Gen 2 is a major problem.

Ok if it is not realism let us try some rationale argumentation.

Who would build a base with concrete walls and defense turrets around an orbital cannon where a crucial generator part of this canon can be destroyed from outside the base?

#12 quantaca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:02 AM

just wanted to point out that doors unlocking when the electricity cuts out is not unheard off, its actually a safety feature (called failsafe) so you dont get locked inside a burning building or something. although electric fire doors do stay locked because they are intended to stop fire from spreading (this is called failsecure). but that being said ... it would have made more sense if you could just shoot the doors out

but anyway realism is a bad guideline for this sort of thing, how about just from a pure gameplay standpoint ? shooting that gen is almost always a prelude to a gen rush, or atleast a team that wants to keep options open to gen rush if the initial fight is hard and i think we can all agree that gen rushing is not fun, atleast not on the recieving end, although i must admit that it is kinda funny when you stop them... Posted Image

Edited by quantaca, 03 August 2016 - 11:06 AM.

#13 SirSoggyDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:05 PM

I've yet to see any sort of effective "counter-sniping" occur, and either way the fact remains that gen-sniping is an extraordinarily easy and low risk way to deprive the defenders of a generator.

I'm all for giving maps distinct flavors from one another (as faction play maps are pretty much the same basic layout), but I don't think that nigh-uncounterable gen sniping is the way to do that.

#14 Stahlherz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 380 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:06 AM

Just rotate the generator casing.
Problem solved.

#15 Kurbeks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:11 AM

No idea why this haven't been fixed alredy!

#16 Imigo Montoya

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:08 PM

the best way would be to rotate the generator housing or move the gen a bit to counter the sniping position.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users