24 replies to this topic

#1 Gutentag

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 133 posts
  • LocationStuttgart, DE

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:52 AM

I was trying to decide which of the four founder mechs I was going to choose with the Elite package. I really loved the Panther in TT and in Battletech 3025. I was wondering if the Jenner could be modified in such a way with the mechlab to emulate a Panther.
Is it possible to lower the speed of the Jenner and remove the med lasers to add a PPC? would probably remove the SRM-4 for either Streak SRM-2 or Guardian ECM or Beagle Active Probe.
I wish they had an app or webpage to play with mechlab before being accepted to beta...

#2 Squiggy McPew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 755 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:58 AM

I imagine these are the things that are currently being worked on.

Balance for this game has been stated to follow tt rules as closely as possible but there are going to be many many many tweaks to the rules as what works for dice rolls and hex square gameplay or singleplayer in the previous mechwarrior games might not work very well when every mech is played out in realtime with humans at the controls.

#3 Jost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

That's a speculative question, and most likely, nobody's going to have an answer for you.

Certainly, the released information on the mechlab suggests you can change engines, but there's no way of saying what the hardpoint system will allow in terms of weapons or electronics.

Incidentally, I loved the Panther on TT too. A jumpy PPC with ECM could be very useful.

#4 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:19 AM

It really depends on the hardpoints... which are game specific.

#5 MoonHawk

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

As for the Ppcs, this video confirms you can mount them, that Jenner even has 2 ER ones.
http://mwomercs.com/...deo/W6wYb6TNFNk

Look around 00:47 after Russ, from the Atlas´s pilot perspective you can see the ppcs slaming on the Atlas´ center torso, and on the target loadout you can read ERPPC.

#6 Zygwen

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 90 posts
  • LocationMontreal, QC

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

2 ERPPCs on a Jenner? Sounds like a glass canon unless you load it out with lostect or clan tech. Effectively turning a Jenner into a Clan Puma (Adder).

#7 ArchRakshasa

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

Lower speed? Havent seen anything on switching out engines yet. However if you do, you better consider adding more Ferro-Fibrous armor. The advantage of keeping a lighter mech functioning is to stay on the move and being as fast as possible.

Taking a shot at a clay duck copping a squat is distasteful.... lol

#8 Gutentag

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 133 posts
  • LocationStuttgart, DE

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

View PostArchRakshasa, on 14 July 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

Lower speed? Havent seen anything on switching out engines yet. However if you do, you better consider adding more Ferro-Fibrous armor. The advantage of keeping a lighter mech functioning is to stay on the move and being as fast as possible.

Taking a shot at a clay duck copping a squat is distasteful.... lol

The Panther was always a pretty survivable mech for me in table top. Jump Jets and PPC allow it to stay at long ranges, and depending on terrain, behind partial cover.

The Jenner dropping down to 5/8/5 and carrying a single PPC should leave a good amount of tonnage leftover for additional armor.

#9 Thorgar Wulfson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationConcordia, KS

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

heh i just hope they drop the Panther in before the founders get in, that was a good lil mech

#10 Moriarte

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

The Panther will have a huge advantage over the Jenner.

Its main weapon is mounted in an actual arm, something the jenner lacks.

#11 Vulpesveritas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationWinsconsin, USA

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

View PostMoriarte, on 14 July 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

Posted Image

Looks like at least some degree of pivot to me.

#12 Rushyo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

Easy to carve off, you say?

#13 Gutentag

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 133 posts
  • LocationStuttgart, DE

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

A bonus in tabletop, but in the game I wonder how they will enable you to fire the arm's firing arc. All the videos I have seen have the weopons only firing directly forward. If the target reticle is on the pilots helmet that would enable you to look sideways and still fire accuratly, but it appears the target reticle is locked straight ahead where the mech's torso is facing.

#14 EvangelionUnit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 776 posts
  • LocationWarframe

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

lol you have 2 medium lasers in the arms in a jenner, so it should be possible to mount a ppc in one arm (do you like right handed panthers more then left handed ? XD) ...

#15 Moriarte

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:20 AM

View PostGutentag, on 14 July 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

A bonus in tabletop, but in the game I wonder how they will enable you to fire the arm's firing arc. All the videos I have seen have the weopons only firing directly forward. If the target reticle is on the pilots helmet that would enable you to look sideways and still fire accuratly, but it appears the target reticle is locked straight ahead where the mech's torso is facing.

The arm reticule's supposingly would follow view when using POV, can't tell for sure untill we can actually play :P

#16 Tyzh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 495 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

View PostGutentag, on 14 July 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

I was trying to decide which of the four founder mechs I was going to choose with the Elite package. I really loved the Panther in TT and in Battletech 3025. I was wondering if the Jenner could be modified in such a way with the mechlab to emulate a Panther.
Is it possible to lower the speed of the Jenner and remove the med lasers to add a PPC? would probably remove the SRM-4 for either Streak SRM-2 or Guardian ECM or Beagle Active Probe.
I wish they had an app or webpage to play with mechlab before being accepted to beta...

Contrary to all the wishy-washy answers here...

Yes, you should be able to do that. We don't know ALL the hardpoints that a mech will have, but we do know that it will have the hardpoints required to make the normal "stock" variant. All you need to make a "panther" is 1 energy hard point, and one missile hard point. The JR7-D will have at least 4 energy hard points and one missile hard point. Adjusting engine/armor/various other values should be something you can do with the mechlab.

#17 Bodha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

View PostGutentag, on 14 July 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

Making the Jenner into a panther style is doable, but I also think you will find a slow light mech will be challenging to play. However if you keep the speed boosted up a bit more you should be fine.

watch the video's closer. you can see the lasers can sweep across in front of you when turning during a view of the videos. I think those were armed mounted in the video where I saw it.

Edited by Bodha, 14 July 2012 - 11:44 AM.

#18 Dimestore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 302 posts
  • LocationVancouver (Pacific Standard Time Zone)

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

This has been accounted for. Each mech actually has TWO targetting reticules: one big one for fixed (ie torso) weapons; and one small one for mobile (ie arm) weapons. The arm weapons track nearly instantly while the torso weapons track at torso turn rate. This has been covered elsewhere and was specifically mentioned in a dev chat, I beleive. Apparently it has been a very popular mechanism, introducing careful thought to weapon placement. Arm weapons are nimble but get blown off relatively easily.

Edited by Hax DB Header, 15 July 2012 - 02:00 AM.

#19 Dimestore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 302 posts
  • LocationVancouver (Pacific Standard Time Zone)

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

View PostMoriarte, on 14 July 2012 - 10:20 AM, said:

The arm reticule's supposingly would follow view when using POV, can't tell for sure untill we can actually play :D

The multi-reticule effect is visible in the "assault class demo" video. At one point the atlas pilot tries fires all lasers but only arms are on target so two clearly separate clusters of lasers discharge; one set on target; one set off target.

#20 Gutentag

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 133 posts
  • LocationStuttgart, DE

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

has anyone seen details on the Jenner's available hardpoints from any of the videos or screenshots?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users