- - - - -

Hey Hey...

22 replies to this topic

#1 Inner Wolf

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:42 PM

I just wanted to say hello to the new players. I also wanted to say hello again to the usual suspects that are still present, still helping out the rookie pilots. I am not really a new player myself, but I am not top tier by any stretch of my wild imagination.

I had another account that I started in 2014...under a different name...similar title...but forgot the log in information. I don't care to dig for it either...

So much has changed since 2014. Maps, CW, game modes, voip, mechs, meta, etc... I wanted a fresh start and hopped back into light mechs to unleash my inner wolf. I bought the ACH-Prime, ACH-A, ACH-B. I used to hate clan mechs, but now I am grinding them, and planning to work my way up through the new tier system as a light mech pilot. The Arctic Cheetahs remind me of my old Spider mechs...which I really liked piloting. They are much better, in my opinion, but I have dueled some good Spider pilots since I started over.

Spiders used to be everywhere, but now...

Anyway...Hello all! See you on the battlefield.

#2 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:17 PM

Welcome back.

Spiders are not horribly common anymore.

However a good spider pilot can still be devastating

#3 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 July 2016 - 03:59 AM

Welcome back !!

#4 Inner Wolf

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:41 AM

Thanks!

I'm thinking of buying a set of Spiders next...for a nostalgic Inner Sphere light set. When I played before, the JR7-F was pretty much king of light mechs...I'd often get owned in light duels with a streak Jenner...used to hate 'em.

Now they have the Jenner IIC...are they better than the IS version? I've never tried them...

I couldn't believe how different the Locusts are now! They feel like real ankle biters, with their loooow profile...to me anyway. I've only used the trial version, to check out the new map layouts.

Thanks for the wecome back!

Edited because I'd forgot to mention how I also liked the Firestarters, the Victor, and don't see much of them either...sad. Dragon Slayers were everywhere...

Edited by Inner Wolf, 30 July 2016 - 05:49 AM.

#5 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 July 2016 - 05:50 AM

Firestarters are still pretty wicked lights. My beloved Spiders are mostly superceded by other lights, but can still be valuable and a major PITA to the other team. Locusts have gotten decently powerful due to the combination of quirks and most recently resizing. (They were made smaller.)

Really the only light that I probably wouldn't recommend is the Commando. They could use some PGI love.

#6 Inner Wolf

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 07:26 AM

I had a few Commandos back then...never did well with them. I have taken a few out since coming back, but one had streaks and was a tough fight.

#7 Inner Wolf

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:54 AM

Are the Locusts considered as competition viable mechs, or are they just PUG novelties/pests?

Does anyone have a loadout for the cheetah besides the 6cspl, 6cersl, 2 cerll?

I have a novelty loadout of 4cspl in the torsos and left arm...then a machine gun and tag in right arm for laser sighted machine gun fun. I have another button for tag itself to help lurms teammatez. 4cspl does decent damage and can be fired more often.

#8 Wedge Red Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 103 posts
  • LocationYavin 5

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:46 PM

View PostInner Wolf, on 31 July 2016 - 10:54 AM, said:

Are the Locusts considered as competition viable mechs, or are they just PUG novelties/pests?

Does anyone have a loadout for the cheetah besides the 6cspl, 6cersl, 2 cerll?

I have a novelty loadout of 4cspl in the torsos and left arm...then a machine gun and tag in right arm for laser sighted machine gun fun. I have another button for tag itself to help lurms teammatez. 4cspl does decent damage and can be fired more often.

1) The better the team you face, the less effective lights are. So ya in PUGs Locusts can really muddy the water of combat, nasty little back stabbers. In serious fights I'd personally just give them a passing grade, worth 20T in a drop deck.

2) Not really, I kind of like your build though. IMHO not enough TAG being used, not only for LuRMs but PuGs only respond well to radar contacts. I ran a 4ERML build for a while, it is OK. Some people like running two SRM4s and small lasers, but I don't. I personally like running 5spls, with an extra heat sink.

#9 Inner Wolf

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:31 AM

I have seen youtubes of people running 5 spl instead of 6 and I didn't know why. I thought...why not use the hardpoint???...but I'd never thought about having the extra heat sink. Good idea, kinda works like my 4cspl/mg/tag setup...by allowing more cspl shots with decent damage. Thanks.

#10 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:45 AM

Yeah, Spiders, as well as Locusts and now, the Jenner IIC seems to be the light 'Mechs of choice these days. I have seen a few people still piloting the Commando, but never as many as there used to be, but I am not sure if that is a good thing (personally) because, in my mind, whenever I see a Commando, I cannot help but laugh as I have always thought of the Commando as a "paper 'Mech" (that is, flimsy and rather quite useless with so many heavier and more powerful 'Mechs stepping onto the battlefields these days), although I do give those who bring a Commando into a game credit for their bravery, even when most of the time, they are one of the first 'Mechs to get blown apart.

The one 'Mech that used to be around all the time, bit now is never seen, sadly, is Sarah's 'Mech (a special edition Jenner, released for the Canadian Cancer Council) which, personally, I think should be brought back out by those who own it already or released again by the devs, because not only is it a proud 'Mech, but it was outstanding on the battlefield.

So if anyone who reads this thread owns a Sarah's 'Mech, dust it off and give it a spin around the battlefields!

Edited by Timicon, 04 August 2016 - 03:50 AM.

#11 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:20 AM

The problem with the Sarah Jenner was that it lacked jumped jets, which was one of the things that made Jenners so maneuverable and deadly.

#12 Fobhopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 344 posts
  • LocationClan Nova Cat agent working for Davion

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:58 AM

Spiders, Locusts, Actic Cheetah (cheater's more like it), and Jenner IIC are kings of the lights right now. Firestarters are still pretty decent (particularly in FW), but commando's and jenners have really fallen off the map (except for the oxide, pretty much the only good jenner chassis right now).

Medium Mechs have been a rare sight on the battlefield, but there are usually a pretty good amount of heavy and assault mechs. While the Atlas used to be king of the assaults, really only the D-DC and the S variant are usable now, and the King Crab and Kodiak currently reign supreme in the assault category. But the heavy class mechs are pretty robust right now with a healthy collection of mechs of all kinds to choose from on both factions. IS has the really good Marauder to compete against the Timberwolf on the Clan side. Not to mention that there are more than a few solid chassis on both sides that are in heavy use. Most of the mechs you used to see pretty regularly have pretty much become rare sights on the field.

#13 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:48 AM

View Postmailin, on 04 August 2016 - 05:20 AM, said:

The problem with the Sarah Jenner was that it lacked jumped jets, which was one of the things that made Jenners so maneuverable and deadly.

Jump jets or not, any experienced light 'Mech pilot would be able to make it a worthy opponent on most battlefields. The one map I think that it would be hampered the most, would be canyon network, but veridian bog and hpg manifold, it would shine.

#14 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:08 PM

Lights in comp are usually only found when the rules mandate their use.
Heavy mechs are usually the gold standard, with a small selection of Assaults and Mediums.

#15 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:28 PM

Adders/Kit Foxes are also pretty fun, if you don't mind the loss of speed.

#16 Inner Wolf

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:45 PM

It breaks my heart...that the poor little girl lost her life to cancer. Sooooo many have lost loved ones to cancer of different types, and I think it is amazing how MWO players, and developers, stepped up and made the Jenner in her honor...and to donate toward a very VERY worthy cause.

I hated Jenners at one time, but I would happily buy that Jenner chassis if it is made available again...hint hint...wink wink...*grabs wallet*

HERO CHASSIS -- Sarah's Jenner.

#17 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 05 August 2016 - 03:26 AM

The Sarah's Jenner was a custom Jenner JR7-D(S) if I remember correctly, you could customise it to have Jumpjets.

As it is a JR7-D with a custom loadout and paintjob it could not be a hero as heroes are always unique variants, the JR7-D(S) and did not have a cbill boost.

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:16 AM

View PostInner Wolf, on 04 August 2016 - 03:31 AM, said:

I have seen youtubes of people running 5 spl instead of 6 and I didn't know why. I thought...why not use the hardpoint???...but I'd never thought about having the extra heat sink. Good idea, kinda works like my 4cspl/mg/tag setup...by allowing more cspl shots with decent damage. Thanks.

Colder. Even throwing a tag in there would still be colder than 6 SPL and while they say run hot or die, if you run too hot you'll die much easier.

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:20 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 05 August 2016 - 03:26 AM, said:

The JR7-D(S) and did not have a cbill boost.

It does. It functions like a package special variant. Invasion, Resistance, Founder, Phoenix, Loyalty, Steam, Special, Sarah, Gold, all of them do 30% chill bonus.

You have to hunt for it on the filter as a "champion" though.

#20 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:39 AM

It does. It functions like a package special variant. Invasion, Resistance, Founder, Phoenix, Loyalty, Steam, Special, Sarah, Gold, all of them do 30% chill bonus

Not according to the sdvertisment, it origionaly came with 10% XP boost, no cbill boost, it could have since been changed but this is the first I have heard about it having a cbill boost

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users