Emerald Taiga Feedback

4 replies to this topic

#1 Decency

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:01 PM

Emerald Taiga is in my opinion one of the better Faction Warfare maps, behind only Grim and maybe Sulfurous. Those three are head and shoulders above the others, though, so I'm curious why you guys started here.

I'm really happy to see some attention towards Faction Warfare after maps and their issues (one of the most important aspects of FW) were not touched upon during the round table!

Critical feedback:
  • Remove the broken spot where you can hit a generator from way outside the base.
  • Attacker spawns are too far apart from each other, which can make it very easy for a coordinated team pushing out of the base to isolate a spawn location and pick up a few free kills
  • Attacker spawns are too far from the gates- but this applies to literally every FW map, where you'll spend 5 minutes per game just walking or waiting for the other team to- and this sucks.
  • Defenders have limited options for locating themselves to shoot people running through the gate. Basically you either stand in the middle towards Omega where there are 3 clear lanes, or you stand on the hill. That makes this a much more attacker sided map than most.
  • Related to the previous point, once attackers are through the gate their attack paths are very distinct (with the exception of mechs with many jump jets). More ability to move between these attack lanes for both attackers and defenders would be beneficial.
  • The area between the open front and Omega cannon is very tightly clustered.
  • Trees shouldn't be bigger than heavy mechs. They're nice for cosmetic flavor, but when they start legitimately impacting my ability to play the game and aim, they detract significantly from the experience.
Equally importantly, some things that are good and/or unique about this map that shouldn't change:
  • Defenders have high ground at their spawn that's very defensible! This makes spawncamping very difficult as attackers and makes games more fair. They also are quickly able to get in range to hit enemies attacking Omega, which is crucial.
  • The gates are near enough to each other and have decent line of sight between them, so a simultaneous attack through both gates is actually somewhat viable.
  • Some portions of the map (probably slightly too many, though) can only be utilized effectively by mechs with jump jets, like the raised helipads and some of the mountains inside the base.
  • Areas from outside of the base with slight cover can be utilized for poking at defenders, allowing covering/suppressive fire rather than just a mad rush through the gate.
That's all I have for now! There's no doubt tons of small tweaks that I'm sure could help further here but overall the map has a pretty decent design with enough open space, height, and angles to play a skill-intensive and fun game.

#2 His Holiness Pope Buster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 261 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:33 PM

Install a 3rd gate in between the 2 existing gates which is at the end of a tunnel which goes through the mountain.

#3 quantaca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 12:48 AM

Yep, mostly agree with this, except for the defender spawn ... i like that its defensible and all but that also leads to camping, and i really really dislike the snipe camping that it promotes with that giant overwatch position

Also on grimm the gates are too close together and the defenders position is too strong with the elevation advantage, sure nothing a good team cant break but still.

I've put some more ideas on my own post, didnt want to hijack this one

Edited by quantaca, 03 August 2016 - 12:53 AM.

#4 quantaca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 12:52 AM

View PostHis Holiness Pope Buster, on 02 August 2016 - 05:33 PM, said:

Install a 3rd gate in between the 2 existing gates which is at the end of a tunnel which goes through the mountain.

Tunnels would be nice, but its already a pretty cramped map with sight on both gates so placing a gate between the other 2 ... its just never going to be used (unless they move the outside gates offcourse)

#5 PCHunter

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 02:04 AM

Was playing a match and just stepped out of bounds for 1 sec. Did not get a warning but just died instantly. This is the only map that has never given a warning before killing you. Really bad design, IMO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users