• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:21 AM

View PostSerpieri, on 04 August 2016 - 08:15 AM, said:

Xcom and Xcom2 are amazing Posted Image

But but but...turn based bro! It's 2016!!

View PostMystere, on 04 August 2016 - 07:39 AM, said:

But it's turn-based! Posted Image

It's 2016 for crying out loud! They really should have taken a page from Creative Assembly.

Consider the turn based system opportunities to savor your jamon iberico and sip your Ribeira del Duero Tinto Gran Reserva whilst you play. Like any civilised Mechwarrior.

View PostPariah Devalis, on 04 August 2016 - 08:17 AM, said:

Meh. All I know is, between then and now, I relaxed a bit on my preorder blockade.

On the 9th? No Man's Sky.

On the 23? Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Also backing Overlord, which is under production by the very same team that created the original Descent series. A more modern Descent, but keeping all the major feel and flow of the originals. Except they no longer hold the rights to the name "descent." Which is hilarious, since they seem to own everything else about the IP. XD

IDK... No Mans Sky I admit I avoided...I think it just feels too likely to have Star Citizen Syndrome, literally no way to meet the hype. And the dude reaching the center of the Galaxy in 30 hours on his pre order....doesn't help. :/

#62 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:21 AM

Well, it looks good for where it is in its development. It will not replace MWO live action for me but I am strongly considering sending them $25 to get me a copy and support a BattleTech game. I can see me playing it when I want to be a little more cerebral and less twitch.

#63 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:22 AM

...Not to go off topic here but, Bishop, what WOULD a Bishop custom made mech look like? As either a lighter or heavier "cousin" to the Black Knight?

#64 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:25 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 August 2016 - 08:21 AM, said:

IDK... No Mans Sky I admit I avoided...I think it just feels too likely to have Star Citizen Syndrome, literally no way to meet the hype. And the dude reaching the center of the Galaxy in 30 hours on his pre order....doesn't help. :/

To be fair, the devs themselves said it would take about 30 hours to get to the center, if that is all you intended to do. However, they also said that was mostly just a basic guide for the players. Jury is still out on what you're actually to do in order to progress in NMS. On the upside, that dude who got the leaked copy did say it succeeded at achieving the goals that the developers stated for it. So, unlike SC, it actually does what it set out to do. As opposed to being a Black Hole simulator for money. XD

I like it because it looks like a fantastic game to play to de-stress. Chill. Explore. Etc.

#65 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:27 AM

I'm looking forward to No Man's Sky. It sounds pretty amazing.

The new Deus Ex game is also on my Steam Wish list.

I'm also intrigued by House of the Dying Sun. If you like first person space shooters, that one seems pretty fun.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 04 August 2016 - 08:28 AM.

#66 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:29 AM

View Postcazidin, on 04 August 2016 - 08:22 AM, said:

...Not to go off topic here but, Bishop, what WOULD a Bishop custom made mech look like? As either a lighter or heavier "cousin" to the Black Knight?

I might have to work on that. I'm thinking it would be a jump jetless mech, to represent it's single plane moving pattern.... but probably lighter and faster to represent the unlimited range of a Bishop. Conversely, that could be represented in a heavier unit with great reaching long range weaponry. Could do Rooks, (had a Light mech called a Pawn back in the day) too, as a heavily armored mech. Maybe using Hardened armor even.

IDK..gonna have to think on that.

View PostPariah Devalis, on 04 August 2016 - 08:25 AM, said:

To be fair, the devs themselves said it would take about 30 hours to get to the center, if that is all you intended to do. However, they also said that was mostly just a basic guide for the players. Jury is still out on what you're actually to do in order to progress in NMS. On the upside, that dude who got the leaked copy did say it succeeded at achieving the goals that the developers stated for it. So, unlike SC, it actually does what it set out to do. As opposed to being a Black Hole simulator for money. XD

I like it because it looks like a fantastic game to play to de-stress. Chill. Explore. Etc.

Battletech looks like my kind of "chillax" game. Was never really able to stay invested in Myst, etc. I guess I need explosions.

#67 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:30 AM

I can't believe how good this looks already... I am completely and totally excited now and the wait is going to kill me.Posted Image

#68 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:31 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 August 2016 - 08:29 AM, said:

I might have to work on that. I'm thinking it would be a jump jetless mech, to represent it's single plane moving pattern.... but probably lighter and faster to represent the unlimited range of a Bishop. Conversely, that could be represented in a heavier unit with great reaching long range weaponry. Could do Rooks, (had a Light mech called a Pawn back in the day) too, as a heavily armored mech. Maybe using Hardened armor even.

Hurray for good ideas inspired by a joke? (Not complaining. I do that a lot. Posted Image )*

*The original joke about you being a Bishop, not a Knight. My question after was serious.

Maybe a Medium or light-Heavy?

Edited by cazidin, 04 August 2016 - 08:33 AM.

#69 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:31 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 August 2016 - 08:29 AM, said:

Battletech looks like my kind of "chillax" game. Was never really able to stay invested in Myst, etc. I guess I need explosions.

Variety is necessary for me. Guild Wars 2, Mechwarrior Online, No Man's Sky, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Necropolis, eventually Overlord and Battletech gives me a wide range of games to play. From exploration, to simulation, to raw FPS.

If I don't have access to variety, I get bored. Fast. If I can split my attention among several things, not only do I pay more attention to any one thing, but I enjoy it more.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 04 August 2016 - 08:32 AM.

#70 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:34 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 04 August 2016 - 08:31 AM, said:

Variety is necessary for me. Guild Wars 2, Mechwarrior Online, No Man's Sky, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Necropolis, eventually Overlord and Battletech gives me a wide range of games to play. From exploration, to simulation, to raw FPS.

If I don't have access to variety, I get bored. Fast. If I can split my attention among several things, not only do I pay more attention to any one thing, but I enjoy it more.

I have Aspergers. Aspies tend to have limited interest trees, and be obsessively fixated on what does interest us. Hence my unshakable fixation on Battletech Universe for 29 years. If I want variety, I grab my spear gun or camera and do something else entirely like freediving or scuba.

#71 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:35 AM

View PostMystere, on 04 August 2016 - 07:39 AM, said:

But it's turn-based! Posted Image

It's 2016 for crying out loud! They really should have taken a page from Creative Assembly.

Turn based games are still common in 2016... get with the times maybe?Posted Image

#72 Major Tomm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 131 posts
  • LocationWolf 359

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:48 AM

Looks pretty fast paced for a turn based MechWarrior. Waiting for the beta....

#73 Teslar Kain

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:56 AM

Welp I'm in! That video made me actually salivate (for whatever reason)!

#74 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:56 AM

Looks nice.

Just like in TT this game's TTK seems to be significantly lower than MWO's, which is funny given how much people like to complain about MWO having low TTK.

#75 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:58 AM

View Postprocess, on 04 August 2016 - 06:03 AM, said:

They actually just announced a way!

Thanks for posting that. I am now a Backer! I am hoping that MWO and HBS's BattleTech will revive the BT/MW IP and lead to bigger and better things to come. I had to support that possibility.

#76 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:03 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 04 August 2016 - 08:56 AM, said:

Looks nice.

Just like in TT this game's TTK seems to be significantly lower than MWO's, which is funny given how much people like to complain about MWO having low TTK.

Really hard to Gauge.

The Commando died after eating an Alpha from a Shadowhawk and an Atlas. On a Mech with very Light Armor and Structure. The fact the Atlas hit with nearly everything, well, it's fate was sealed. No Lagshield to pretend one is "good" with in Turn Based games.

The Atlas itself, died to a lucky headshot (which happens in MWO, though difficult).

The Marauder and Hunchback only went down fast because of attacks to the rear. Had it been a front to front slugfest, the durability would have been far different. Note the Hunchback landed 2 attacks, with an AC20, 2x Mlasers and a single Slaser, into the rear of the Shadowhawk, and while damaged badly, it was still functional.

So to say TTK was low, I think is a bit disingenuous. Also, I'd point out that massed focus fire will be considerably less effective simply because of random hit locations. The Commando, again, disintegrated due to it's lack of armor, and the nature of damage transfer.

View PostRampage, on 04 August 2016 - 08:58 AM, said:

Thanks for posting that. I am now a Backer! I am hoping that MWO and HBS's BattleTech will revive the BT/MW IP and lead to bigger and better things to come. I had to support that possibility.

Welcome, brother!

#77 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:03 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 04 August 2016 - 08:01 AM, said:

You're right, that is the year we are in. Posted Image

XCOM 2 also came out in 2016 and it is turn based. I'd say the genre is just as relevant now as it was before.

The genre isn't obsolete just because you don't like it.

View PostWarHippy, on 04 August 2016 - 08:35 AM, said:

Turn based games are still common in 2016... get with the times maybe?Posted Image

I never played the XCOM series, so I cannot comment on that. But after the Mechwarrior and Mechcommander series, Multiplayer BattleTech, and now MechWarrior Online, having a new BT/MW game be turn-based just looks too archaic for me.

But that's me.

Edited by Mystere, 04 August 2016 - 09:06 AM.

#78 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:14 AM

On the TTK - I'd also note that Shadow Hawk should've been pretty crippled up - looked like it lost a torso half, arm, and leg. Really not gonna be a factor in a follow-up fight. It shouldn't have been jumping with a missing leg. (Though it's possible only armor was stripped, there isn't all that much data available on their current HUD)

They also mentioned that crit chances might still be set a little high.

I'm also wondering what features they're missing beyond melee ...

#79 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:22 AM

Bish´s not a mech, it´s a transport.

Posted Image

#80 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:36 AM

View PostKasumi Sumika, on 04 August 2016 - 06:36 AM, said:

Nah, I'm fine with IS only Tech. Posted Image

Well, my knowledge behind Inner Spheres, Lore, Story before when Clan Invasion still low. Because I'm more interested in Clan's Lore.

Agreed, If this game is success enough, maybe there will be Clan Sequel, Expansion or DLCs Story in the future.

There has yet to be a game addressing exclusively Clans, and there is a lot of history between the 2nd Exodus and the Clan Invasion that could use a large amount of exploration in game form that future Battletech PC games by Harebrained could explore.

Also of really high interest would be the recon-mission that Clan Wolf sent long before the invasion, which then establishes itself as the merc unit "Wolf's Dragoons," which then ascends to the point that Hanse Davion gives them an entire planet called Outreach.
Posted Image
The police force of which -- remembering that as of yet no one in the Inner Sphere knows what the Clans are -- comprises entirely of Elementals, and serves as a hub for mercenaries to congregate, meet, find work, etc. on neutral territory free from the risks of being hunted by those who would rather see those random mercs disappear.

To note:
Posted Image
(Left, a rather small Elemental)
Posted Image

Another elemental.
Posted Image
I'd love a game where I could explore Outreach....and mess with the cops. Posted Image

Edit:
Wait, found one more example of an elemental.
Posted Image
(Yes I know it's FF7's Barret Wallace; but c'mon!)

Edited by Koniving, 04 August 2016 - 09:41 AM.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users