#1 FalconerGray

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 362 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:23 AM

Link to part 1: http://mwomercs.com/...the-battlemech/

2.0 – Creating a living universe for the Mechwarrior of the Future

The Mechwarrior franchise comes from a greater background than just the simple act of combat. Political intrigue, treason, large economies, diplomacy are foundations of the battletech universe, highlighted by the rise and fall of empires and heroes. With the right level of planning and depth, every mechwarrior taking part would be contributing to a living, breathing universe truly controlled by the community, with a future unwritten, dictated only by the actions of the players. Here's how the greatest ever mechwarrior game mode would work....

2.1 – The overview

Spoiler

2.2 – Factions & armies, officers & soldiers

• Factions will earn C-Bills through the civilian economies of productive planets (whilst those civilian elements remain undisrupted by warfare), through sale of units or services (from transport duties to full mercenary combat) or by acts of piracy (most likely in the case of the Periphery)
  • Resources are finite – factions will produce battlemechs and other units through factories (or purchase from other factions) and then ship those units to the planets they are required on
  • General players will have no leadership responsibilities, but can choose to enlist as an officer, allowing them to call drops and climb the ladder of command, with the highest ranking officers being those responsible for commanding the overall direction of the faction, including the distribution of units / resources, acts of diplomacy and war
Spoiler

2.3 – Politics, faction command, control and civil war
  • High ranking officers will be responsible for choices critical to the future of the faction, deciding where to send units, how to spend C-Bills, which factions to support or attack
  • Orders and directions made by this “War Council” will be broadcast for all members of the faction to see through an in-game 'notice board', or news section
  • Non-ranking players will still have the opportunity to speak on issues that they see as important
  • The controlling players will have free choice to act as dictators or rule in a democratic fashion, either making choices independent of the feedback given by other players or putting important issues – including leadership positions – to a democratic vote
  • In the event of unrest within a faction, there is the possibility or internal power struggles and even splits resulting in civil war and potentially new factions to formation
Spoiler

2.4 – The fighting week – shaping the universe through time
  • The same battles are fought over the course of a week*, with the average result then being the 'actual' result applied to the universe to begin the next week
  • Up-to-date results provided to the War Council to allow for preparation and planning for the next week
  • All actions take time, including unit production, transit between worlds, repair and rearm after battle, all being taken into account during the course of the game

Spoiler

2.5 – Combined Arms, garrisons and the distribution of forces
  • Playable infantry, aerofighters and other vehicles to fight alone or alongside battlemechs
  • Use of combined player & AI units to balance numbers (ex. 1 infantry player will also be in control of a full squad of AI units, same for all other units besides battlemechs)
  • Faction leaders will allocate available forces to different planets as required
  • With a finite amount of units, a planet of lesser value might hold a garrison of mixed infantry, vehicles and a small number of mechs, whilst a high value target might be reinforced with a heavy compliment of battlemechs and support
Spoiler

2.6 – The timeline, development, production and technology

• The game will begin at a set point in the battletech timeline with the appropriate technology of the time and appropriate unit distribution per factions
  • New tech developments will be made available to factions with strong economies and the infrastructure to develop them, perhaps keeping a lore-friendly lineage of certain designs (such as Kurita specifc mechs, etc)
  • Any new tech – including battlemechs – will need to be produced by retooling factories to develop the new units, which will then need to be rolled out into the combat forces as they become ready for use
  • Tech developments and battlemech designs can spread through to other factions by way of salvage, diplomatic trades or the most likely case, through capture of planets with those units production
2.7 – The battle – PvP throwbacks to the campaigns of old

• Matches will begin at the hand of a Field Commander, who will choose one of the available battlefields and allocate forces pre-game
  • Other players will be slotted into the game, filling spots opened by the Field Commander
  • Players will be assigned to the available battlemechs based on their experience and profession – players can selected a preferred class and preferred mech based on their abilities
  • Mechlab customisation will be permitted only at the discretion of the Field Commander
  • The battle has a maximum runtime of one week, with in-game time counted in real time and between game time accelerated as required
  • Objectives will vary based on the orders given by the War Council
  • Large scale maps, with areas opening or closing as the combat moves
  • Queued players will be entered into the game as spaces open up as the battle progresses
  • It's more than just Kill or Be Killed!
Spoiler

- closing -

I love battletech and mechwarrior, I really do, but I've never been truly satisfied by any of the games that have come and gone to date. Of course, this is not the fault of the games or their developers, it's just a case of what we have to work with at the time. My hope is that someone will read this and find something of value in amongst this ridiculously long mess of words, grab onto that idea, expand on it and make it their own, so that when the times comes that we're talking with developers about the features we want to see in a future Mechwarrior title, the ideas that we're talking about will be on the scale that this series truly deserves. It's a legendary franchise and maybe one day, it'll receive legendary treatment.

- note,

It's likely that through all the inevitable 'TL;DR' posts, people will be wondering why on earth I wrote something like this? Well, I've been hanging out in hospitals a lot lately whilst my partner has had a heart condition monitored and just this week operated on. So there's been many days filled with nothing to do but find a way to keep the mind distracted from other unpleasant possibilities and this is what I ended up doing! I know that it was unnecessary and will likely dissapear into the void of the internet, but it has been the right thing for me to do. I apologise for the mess, it did get a bit hard to concentrate in places, but if you found something of value in all of this, then I'm glad. And in case anyone is wondering, the surgery was a success and recovery is underway.

Enjoy life.

Edited by legatoblues, 05 June 2016 - 04:21 PM.

#2 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:34 AM

TBH, if i cant read it all, PGI can never code it all.

Congrats on the positive surgery outcome, thats much more important than any game anyway.

Edited by Ace Selin, 03 June 2016 - 03:35 AM.

#3 FalconerGray

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 362 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:00 AM

View PostAce Selin, on 03 June 2016 - 03:34 AM, said:

TBH, if i cant read it all, PGI can never code it all.

Congrats on the positive surgery outcome, thats much more important than any game anyway.

Absolutely. 27 hours spent at the hospital over Monday and Tuesday. Never been so exhausted doing nothing! But, plenty of time for the brain to make ideas and plenty of time to write them down. Better to have them out into the world instead of taking up space in my head, even if they aren't likely to mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by legatoblues, 03 June 2016 - 04:00 AM.

#4 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:05 PM

Nice write up.

We share very similar visions for the future of Mechwarrior.

Posted Image

And...definitely put this in a google doc, so that it doesn't get lost. I hope you have a copy of this saved locally. :)

#5 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:10 PM

And before some party pooper comes in and spills a bunch of reality all over the place, yes, the scope of something like this is well beyond the means of most developers and the hardware that most players have access to...but one can DREAM! Posted Image

Edited by Death Proof, 03 June 2016 - 06:11 PM.

#6 FalconerGray

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 362 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:20 PM

Cheers, Death Proof. And yeah, when I was writing this, at no stage was I thinking along the lines of "What could PGI do now?". I was thinking about what we could have many years down the track. I look back at how long I waited after MW4, how long I've been playing this franchise for (20 years now) and imagining the huge leaps that could happen in the next 20 years and what it would mean for our game. For that reason, I think it's important to be thinking big picture now, so that we're prepared for it once we can make these lofty goals a reality.

#7 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:34 PM

Yes, but they could do SOME of the things that you proposed now.

#8 FalconerGray

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 362 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:41 PM

View PostRampage, on 03 June 2016 - 07:34 PM, said:

Yes, but they could do SOME of the things that you proposed now.

Yeah, that's true. But I didn't want to be dismissed as a hater. There are a lot of things I don't like about MWO, but I think it's more productive to take a positive stance on possible improvements, whereas if I try to focus on exactly what it is I'm unhappy about, I can't articulate it as well and come across as a tool.

I saw your edit in the previous thread, thanks for taking the time to read it all, it does mean a lot. As you said, they're just opinions and everyone has their own, but my hope is that by putting our opinions out there, we can all expand on our own ideas through the help of others, evolving our expectations and desires.

And because of course, f yeah Battletech!

#9 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:10 PM

As you've said, PGI promised much of this, and foolishly so as it would probably take even CIG quite a while. Most haters think it should have all taken three months.

But I think there are elements that could come into play. We do have the license until 2018, maybe longer.

#10 Funkin Disher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPPC Apocalypse Bunker, Sydney

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:27 PM

Read it all, and would absolutely kickstart that game.

#11 FalconerGray

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 362 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:23 AM

View PostFunkin Disher, on 05 June 2016 - 07:27 PM, said:

Read it all, and would absolutely kickstart that game.

Cheers FD.

#12 Kyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:02 PM

Nice megathread, reminds me of the ones we had going back in 2012. ;-) (See signature)

#13 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:47 AM

Well your asking for a Paper and dice roll play game on a PC

That will never happen in a multi player shooter game.

Everquest got the closest, with factions, but even getting the factions to like you, involved killed hundreds of critters that the faction disliked.

Outside of multi player shooter games total war is the closest, and that's turn based, but has a political ,tech, and economy system.

In this franchise, your hopes rest with the H.B.S game, a turn based game, whether that will be enough, for you is another matter.

Your a merc unit, combat its got, an economy it's going to have, whether the politics will be good enough for your desires, and the tech is limited to savaging, and what's around in 3025 is another matter

#14 Kipps Customer

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:24 AM

View PostDeath Proof, on 03 June 2016 - 06:10 PM, said:

And before some party pooper comes in and spills a bunch of reality all over the place, yes, the scope of something like this is well beyond the means of most developers and the hardware that most players have access to...but one can DREAM! Posted Image

might be a lot more achievable as a 2D game rather than 3D

#15 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:35 AM

+1 for the sentiment.

A few things I didn't like but the theme is great.

#16 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:04 AM

Take a mix of EU4/HOI4/Stellaris and move the planet (+4000 more) some 135K light years to the left, then change the Armies that do Battle on said Planets to ones composed of men, tanks, fighters and BattleMechs and you have the game you seek... Political Intrigue (aka hellish levels of micromanagement), Territorial Wars and fighting by many Factions, (aka even more hellish levels of micromanagement), Resource Management and Manufacturing, (aka even more, of the more, hellish levels of micromanagement) and finally deployment of said produced resources across vast empty space to fuel your ever growing War machine... (aka even more of the more + more hellish levels of micromanagement).

Could be great fun, surely. To frigging bad that about a max. of 400 people would find that level of micro-management hell some kind of FUN!. Posted Image

P.S. And for anyone who would simplify that system to offer it to more players... LOL! That is what MWO is ffs. Posted Image

P.S.S. Almost forgot. Add GD a "PAUSE Button" too..." Makes for great MP play "Pause Buttons" do... ;)

Edited by Almond Brown, 29 August 2016 - 08:05 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users