Marauder Iic Next Mech, Confirmed

316 replies to this topic

#161 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:11 PM

85 ton mechs always agree with my playstyle, but not sure if I want this one, since my IS 85 tonners are good as is.

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 04 August 2016 - 11:36 AM, said:

It's too bad they made assault energy boats bad.

In comp maybe but otherwise Banshee-3M, STK-4N, and Battlemasters are still fine IMO.

Most importantly, MAD-IIC has limited timeline variant, meaning PGI can be liberal in designing ballistic or missile based variant.

Edited by El Bandito, 04 August 2016 - 05:14 PM.

#162 Kadreal

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:11 PM

View Postcazidin, on 04 August 2016 - 04:40 PM, said:

Light mechs don't sell. I'm sorry, Kadreal. But we're stuck with what we got for a while.

It's hard for lights to sell when they never make any to sell

#163 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:14 PM

Devise a new sales model with competitive prices for the lights - not the old $20 pack or the even older 4-Mech-packs - and get some fan favourites (Wasp, Stinger, Valkyrie) or an IS Hankyu counterpart (Spector)... I am sure they'd sell well.

#164 Archangel.84

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warhead
  • The Warhead
  • 220 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:46 PM

Seeing as the only Light mech they've done with the $20/pop method is... the Urbanmech, where's the evidence for "light mechs don't sell"?

#165 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:52 PM

I'm bummed about the MAD-IIC; I wanted the Devastator!

#166 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:53 PM

View PostArchangel.84, on 04 August 2016 - 05:46 PM, said:

Seeing as the only Light mech they've done with the $20/pop method is... the Urbanmech, where's the evidence for "light mechs don't sell"?

The urbanmech sold rather well, actually, due to it is a lethal joke mech, well, sort of. It was the most community wanted mech after an april fools joke PGI pulled about releasing the Urbanmech. As for lights don't sell well? Look at the Arctic Cheetah, that thing sold like hot cakes probably the week after release and probably still does if it is still on the gift store. Lights though really shouldn't be $20 just like an assault, heavy, or even most mediums, yes it is great that we get 3 mechs for $20, but, as you can see with the Kodiak MC release in game the real world cost of a mech is drastically different from the pre-order bundles.

Edited by Moonlight Grimoire, 04 August 2016 - 05:53 PM.

#167 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:59 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 August 2016 - 04:56 PM, said:

And that's because PGI set themselves up to fail. Role warfare never occurring, their pricing model for MC and Chills, and overall crap game balance. Pretty pathetic to toss in the towel and simply not make more lights.

Let me rephrase. We'll see lights, but they'll be few in number. We have very few left that won't be DOA - legitimately DOA because of size, engine cap or hard points. I appreciate wanting more light mechs but what GOOD ones are left that won't need a lot of quirks?

I'm genuinely curious, btw. This isn't a rhetorical question.

#168 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:05 PM

View Postcazidin, on 04 August 2016 - 05:59 PM, said:

Let me rephrase. We'll see lights, but they'll be few in number. We have very few left that won't be DOA - legitimately DOA because of size, engine cap or hard points. I appreciate wanting more light mechs but what GOOD ones are left that won't need a lot of quirks?

Well that begs the return question, what do you consider good?

Stinger and Wasp, while slow for 20t mechs (Adder/Kit Fox speed stock) pack 6 JJ's combined with weight efficient energy weapons, with them being 20t mechs, they will be small, taller than a Locust, but not as long. The Stinger and Wasp could be good agile harassing mechs.

#169 CMetz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 289 posts
  • LocationCortlandt Manor, NY

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:07 PM

Javelin and Valkyrie are needed. The IS needs an FP viable 30 tonner in a bad way. The clans have a glaring hole at 70 tons. (Nova Cat, anyone?) All other tonnages are places where neither tech base has a viable FP mech.

#170 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:08 PM

I am actually uncertain as well, there are a few interesting options like the Mongoose, then there are other 25 ton mechs still possible to do, but, the event showed that 25 ton mechs are actually the worst in the game, sadly. Another option is the replacement to the Mist Lynx, the Fire Falcon. Back to the IS there is the Nexus which is an interesting option as well, focused on lasers, even has an ECM version that requires no new tech. Then there is the clan Locust IIC which the Locust does well so the IIC should do reasonably well but it has hard points for days in the laser department. There are a lot of 25 ton mechs to pick from and that is all I named here and those are just 2 clan and 2 inner sphere options. This is nothing to speak of the other 3 weights in the light class.

#171 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:08 PM

Right. Much depends on what you consider 'not legitimately DoA'. Of course, there'd be the Spector: high engine cap, JJ, ECM, lots of energy hardpoints. Sadly not enough variants in MWO's timeframe (although PGI seems to become more liberal as evidenced by the Cyclops and the Marauder IIC).

I personally would love to get my hands on the Fireball, making the Locust appear slow. But then, you might say undergunned... As I said, much depends on what you consider DoA.

I have seen people defending the viability of the classic Wasp and Stinger, and some variants (those with many HP) might turn out to be totally viable.

The only light Mech I see really struggling is the Valkyrie: too big, too slow, too few hardpoints. And that pains me, because it is one of my favourite Mechs. (Thus I would buy it).

#172 Tundra Wolf

• PipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 24 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:09 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 04 August 2016 - 11:36 AM, said:

It's too bad they made assault energy boats bad.

I'll still get it for NBT-HC memories. :D The Battle Turkey has returned.

#173 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:11 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 04 August 2016 - 06:08 PM, said:

Right. Much depends on what you consider 'not legitimately DoA'. Of course, there'd be the Spector: high engine cap, JJ, ECM, lots of energy hardpoints. Sadly not enough variants in MWO's timeframe (although PGI seems to become more liberal as evidenced by the Cyclops and the Marauder IIC).

I personally would love to get my hands on the Fireball, making the Locust appear slow. But then, you might say undergunned... As I said, much depends on what you consider DoA.

I have seen people defending the viability of the classic Wasp and Stinger, and some variants (those with many HP) might turn out to be totally viable.

The only light Mech I see really struggling is the Valkyrie: too big, too slow, too few hardpoints. And that pains me, because it is one of my favourite Mechs. (Thus I would buy it).

The fireball is technically impossible for MWO, it goes quite frankly faster than the engine can handle, unless you don't mind going full speed and suddenly clipping through walls, the ground, skybox, enemy mechs, and in general just being obliterated like a cloths lined firemoth. This is the same reason the firemoth is not in MWO, beyond I believe 170kph the cryengine stops working.

#174 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:17 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 August 2016 - 11:35 AM, said:

Marauder IIC next mech, confirmed
Posted Image

Meh.

omfg lol? this is the definition of minimally viable product...... this is low even at pgi standards

bitter vet out

btw any of you HBS btech kickstarters see the pre alpha gameplay footage today!?!? nothing short of epic!!!!

#175 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:20 PM

You could give me a new Light 'mech that has one friggin' energy hardpoint to its name and not a thing else, as long as it's small and fast I can make it work. I have not met a light 'mech in this game that is not perfectly viable to this day despite the hundreds that crow about things like the Commando and Mist Lynx being terrible.

#176 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:25 PM

The WSP-1W Wasp should be pretty good - six E hardpoints in a pint sized Phoenix Hawk, except with the hardpoints spread all over the 'mech.

The STG-3G could rival it for E hardpoints with inflation, but they're all arm mounted. Still, it'd be small and reasonably quick.

The rest of the Wasps and Stingers might be fair, but at least they're cheap.

I rather like the Valkyrie, because it's a good light for supporting bigger lances - in TT. Sadly, it'll be a Pather-style deathtrap in MWO.

The Javelin could be a good option; it has a missile variant and an energy variant. Nothing amazing, but no glaring faults either.

There are a smattering of nearly extinct Star League lights that might fit in someplace, or 3055+ models, but I can't muster much interest in those.

#177 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,757 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:27 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 04 August 2016 - 05:11 PM, said:

In comp maybe but otherwise Banshee-3M, STK-4N, and Battlemasters are still fine IMO.

All of which live because they have all the high mounts, if it weren't for those 5-6 high mounts they enjoy, they would be just as sad as the Warhawk.

#178 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:27 PM

View PostCMetz, on 04 August 2016 - 06:07 PM, said:

Javelin and Valkyrie are needed. The IS needs an FP viable 30 tonner in a bad way. The clans have a glaring hole at 70 tons. (Nova Cat, anyone?) All other tonnages are places where neither tech base has a viable FP mech.

While I'm all about the Macross trio, this one could be easily fixed by a new variant of the Spider. Just a fourth energy point would fix so much about it it aint funny

#179 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:28 PM

I have to ask myself, "Yeah, it is cool, but does it really matter how cool the mech is when it is stuck in MWO?"

Eh.

I am throwing my opinion into the abyss here. There is potential to build all sorts of mechs for all sorts of roles, but it is all for naught; MWO is bottlenecked by the fact that there is a lack of situational variety which makes adding more mechs nigh meaningless. Figuratively put, you can buy a big boat. You can fill it with goodies, but going in circles on a tiny lake gets boring after a while... and buying a different boat does not change that.

#180 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:29 PM

I appreciate wanting more light mechs but what GOOD ones are left that won't need a lot of quirks?

I think the Javelin will be pretty good. The missile boat variants will be very similar to the Oxide -- perhaps only a half ton of ammo less. Admittedly the Oxide comes with a bunch of quirks, but a lot of us think the Oxide would still be fine without said quirks, so presumably a quirkless Javelin wouldn't be too bad.

... and like 6 months from now, you'd be able to get it for C-Bills!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users