GEnie and Gamestorm Oldsters Regiment, taking suggestions.

48 replies to this topic

#1 Amergin

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

We can't predict what the new game will be like. The only thing we can count on is that we will be fighting together in mechs, with up to three lances working together on the battlefield.

If you guys want to start organizing, which this forum seems to be littered with people attempting to do, it should be limited to the regimental level.

I doubt very highly that any player will ever again be responcible for an entire house. Even Kesmai was dropping that model with 3025.

Finally, it seems like folly for any group to try to claim more than one regiment per group of friends. If you want to show solidarity, find those with like mind and combine with them.

So, what Regiment best represents a bunch of crusty old farts?

My vote is for Marik Militia. Not only because was it my first command in House Marik (and Im not claiming command of anything with this post!), but the word Militia indicates a group who lives life on standby, ever awaiting the call to arms, and if that doesnt describe us (many of us on standby for 15 years now), then what does?

Sincerely,

#2 Heron

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI USA

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

The game's integrated faction system may very well eliminate the need for a player based chain of command. I think the FWL is right to wait and see what this game offers before trying to organize.

The faction should have a player directory set up to coincide with the games built in player/friends list and chat system. Something to list members' availability and capability so that faction players can easily assemble parties in game.

#3 Amergin

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:43 PM

Perhaps something original, non-canon would be more appropriate.

Knights of the Pink Flamingo? :o

#4 ShoveI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 208 posts
  • LocationSolaris

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:46 PM

From what I understand from the dev blogs and such about this topic (which there is very little of it lol) was that the only confining thing is some units (names) will be restricted access til you get to a certain rank in game. We're still not sure how units will work in the game or if we'll just be random pilots with a general Marik tag attached us.

Marik Militia I think would be the best option (especially given the canon) for starting to organize the House into some form of cohesive unit if that is really needed. As Heron said, the way the game is set up, it may not be needed at all since there will be friends lists and chat channels available to us.

I also remember reading that at some point we will be able to make our own units in the game, kind of like the mercs but under the House banner. If that's the case I would like to put in a requisition for some sort of name with the word "Recon" in it :o

#5 Amergin

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

To be clear, Im not trying to organize the house. Chain of command couldn't be further from my intentions.
Games are for fun, and they stop being fun when they become a job.
Those days are long gone, and good riddance.

I was thinking more of a social club.

Edit: I realize calling it a regiment implies chain of command, so my bad. But it is a military game.

Edited by Amergin, 22 May 2012 - 01:55 PM.

#6 ShoveI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 208 posts
  • LocationSolaris

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

lol, well in that case you might want to consider the home guard! i remember spending over half my night in that club back on aol

#7 Heron

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI USA

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

I understand that no problem.

All we really need is a universal friends list in game. That way faction players can see who is online, contact each other, and form lances on the go.

#8 Amergin

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

How about the Order of the Saber?

In the past it was bestowed upon those who served at the highest levels, so that when they retired, their advice would be, at least considered by new generations. Since chain of command will likely never be an issue in this game, we can bestow that honor to those who fought the old wars and returned for the new.

#9 FirestormRMA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 152 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:30 PM

< S > Boo

I agree we should wait and see what the game offers , but we all know people break up into packs ,so we should have a plan , 12 on 12

fighting sounds like MW4 (NBT tourm) kind of fighting , and even in there we had command and control setup , ask Assassin B-)~ AND

we had no problems recruiting , we had problems with the game , dialup and duel core hacks but not with numbers of pilots willing to follow

orders ..< S >

Scott Firestorm FWLM
Retired Minister of War OMD
RedMoon Angels AOD Angels Of Death Division
OMD =Dragons Breath= *M*
Elite Recon Search And Destroy

#10 Amergin

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

Sim Sim Salabim!

If you played GEnie or Gamestorm and were a faithful member of House Marik, then you are hereby awarded membership to the prestigious Order of the Saber.

All members are equal, and free to do as they will.

So says I!

#11 FirestormRMA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 152 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

< S > All

Dont care where on the totem pole i sit , As long as i get a seat .. Would be an honor or honour B-)~

To lance with any of you . And if not lance leader , i always do as they wish (unless its kerby )

Scott Firestorm FWLM
OMD =Dragons Breath= *M*

#12 CheckFire

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

Yeah, prestige! Never heard of the Order of the Saber, but I'll happily step up and accept mine. Was in House Marik back in the AOL-only days and then with Gamestorm.

I do seem to recall that the OFB (Old Farts Brigade) was the place where the *ahem* seasoned warriors congregated to drop without all the fuss over rank and organization. Now that I officially qualify, that seems like the right way to do things, as others have said above.

I'm looking forward to the game without any paperwork before or after!

#13 Amergin

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:43 PM

Don't forget the free food and lodging available at any of the chapter houses!
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Awards

#14 FirestormRMA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 152 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:52 PM

< S > Just so its known , i would have no problems with Nitehawk,Neh,Crash,lightnin,Ironman , running the show .They were and to me still are the command of house Marik < S >

Scott Firestorm FWLM

#15 Vincent J Magnum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 131 posts
  • LocationRegulus

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

View PostFirestormRMA, on 22 May 2012 - 06:52 PM, said:

< S > Just so its known , i would have no problems with Nitehawk,Neh,Crash,lightnin,Ironman , running the show .They were and to me still are the command of house Marik < S >

Scott Firestorm FWLM

Nor do I Firestorm.

#16 Rot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSt Louis Mo.

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

It is so good to see all the old names again. I wish some of those that played with us back then were still around.

#17 Amergin

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

The reason I said good riddance to the old hardwired command structure is because it only works about half the time... probably less. An insane house leader ruins the game for a lot of people. And while there is a great deal of fun to be had with all the cloak and dagger and politics, in the long run, it tends to burn the people who really care about the game the most.

Thats why Kesmai dropped it, and thats why this game won't have it. But like every other OG, we are free to group as we like and if any of our old friends want to dedicate their time to making the game fun for us, I have no problem with it at all. Military roleplaying is the best part of MPBT, IMHO.

#18 Slymie

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:40 PM

I know there's going to be at least a couple of old RasCals Pilots coming to play, so until I find out that a small unit, 1-2 lances, is not viable, then I plan on simply keeping with my old friends and playing with them. Hopefully we'll be able to group up multiple lances from different unists to fight together.

#19 ShoveI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 208 posts
  • LocationSolaris

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

I already know there are a few Recon Rangers pilots here but not sure of any Daemon Dogz. Looking forward to finding out though :)

#20 Vincent J Magnum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 131 posts
  • LocationRegulus

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:40 AM

View PostAmergin, on 24 May 2012 - 07:14 PM, said:

The reason I said good riddance to the old hardwired command structure is because it only works about half the time... probably less. An insane house leader ruins the game for a lot of people. And while there is a great deal of fun to be had with all the cloak and dagger and politics, in the long run, it tends to burn the people who really care about the game the most.

Thats why Kesmai dropped it, and thats why this game won't have it. But like every other OG, we are free to group as we like and if any of our old friends want to dedicate their time to making the game fun for us, I have no problem with it at all. Military roleplaying is the best part of MPBT, IMHO.

Yeah theres always a few bad apples that wanna try to run things. Even though my signature reads Maj. General when in a lance though I defer to the pilot with the most battle experience and grasp of Tactics. I've always felt this was as the Dev said that was quoted in another post that it was a reward bestowed by the powers that be for my and other dedication to attempting to make the game fun for others

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users