Terrible Design

17 replies to this topic

#1 NTrippy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:28 PM

Terra Therma is a bad design overall. The excessive heat can be justified as adding more challenge (IMO it's just an annoyance that distracts from proper team tactics and personal skill), but the layout is just terrible. The faact that there are little to no recognizable landmarks coupled with the repetetive nature of the landscape makes navigating tedious and slow. The limitations of access to the paths that take you up to the upper levels ruins the flow of a fight. The only place any good combat seems to happen is in the central ring, but such fights are usually limited to heavier 'mech playing peek-a-boo and clogging the entry points. A complete rework is in order, making the map less patterned and more natural. You have a volcanic field on an alien planet; take a leap and make something really awe-inspiring.

#2 Arkama

• PipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:17 AM

LOL
A rework of a rework.
Light mechs might as well shoot themselves in the face on this map. Lava and weird platforms mean that you are forced along certain channels and deviating means overheating while following them just throws you into a face full of weaponry.

#3 ShadowFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:04 PM

Hey PGI, I like the new Mordor. Its like the Sauron's eye fell and the landscape was blasted to hell. Lots of nooks to hide in. More areas of the map to fight over. Differently a great improvement. Can you in any way vary the spawn points to randomize the play even more? It would be nice to even vary the antenna locations in Domination and Comms Track locations in Assault as well. Again thanks for another map. I hope more people want to play it. Its a great new challenge.

Edited by ShadowFire, 23 October 2016 - 01:07 PM.

#4 762 NATO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 312 posts
  • LocationUnder the desk of the Magestrix of Canopus

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:59 PM

Well, I like it from the PUG standpoint. Its new and few have figured it out. F7 is a deathtrap, worse than the old caldera (that is still on the outskirts!). They broke the "Making another left turn!" NASCar on this map. Nice work this time, PGI. PUGs will always be PUGs, but we will see what the new meta is on this one in a month or so.

Cheers!

#5 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:39 PM

I like it

#6 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:39 AM

Hard to see far on the new map, everything look the same color. Maybe i'm becoming color blind !

It's better than before, but look like everybody are going in a death trap like the old one. The map is bigger and more than one fighting spot exist, i don't know why F7 is a magnet ?

Edited by Damnedtroll, 24 October 2016 - 09:40 AM.

#7 NTrippy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:38 PM

Idk if the "new" Terra Therma is the one that's online now, but whatever PGI has in the game atm is way better than the last one. It's still hard to navigate, but certainly an improvement.

#8 Guile Votoms

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 239 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:28 AM

View PostArkama, on 19 October 2016 - 12:17 AM, said:

LOL
A rework of a rework.
Light mechs might as well shoot themselves in the face on this map. Lava and weird platforms mean that you are forced along certain channels and deviating means overheating while following them just throws you into a face full of weaponry.

Not really. I'm having a lot of fun stealth-killing in my small pulse Locust on Terra Therma.

#9 Weepy Wanebow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:13 AM

it is the perfect map for flank maneuvers and hit and run tactics but the average PUG drop is just going to murder ball and go to the same point on the map.......then complain that the map is junk and it is the same think every game.

#10 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:40 PM

If they mirder ball they would have a chance
I mostly see pugs scatter to the four winds

#11 Weepy Wanebow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:08 AM

I think both are bad options. 12 roll up until the enemy is engaged. 6 break off and try to flank and smash the enemy between two forces while the other 6 offers just enough return fire to keep attention while not getting shot to hell and back. When the flankers are engaged, the draw fire 6 increase in aggression. Neither necessarily has to push into the enemy force they have stuck between them, they just have to set up firing lines from both sides so that the enemy is hard pressed to find a location where they are not getting shot. If the 6 flankers run into 6 enemy flankers then there is a cool brawl and the winners go on to flank the remaining enemy 6. Both are way more interesting and totally possible on the map as is.

#12 Fryepod

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 111 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUpstate, New York

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:34 AM

I really enjoyed the rework of Terra. It's still a map that offers few and clean cut points of contact and that's fine. The heat is fine as well one of the most important aspects of the game is heat management and it's odd that people really don't want to play hot maps just because their builds are too hott. That's the way it's going to be if you don't manage your mechs heat

As far as the map itself, I agree with Waltz. Terra is probably the best FP map now, and goes into its rotation often. When I'm faction play you can see how well the pace and movement of mechs change throughout the game. Even though it is "centric" it still offers the option to move around the map at any flank needed and I just can't hate on that.

New version B+ lol

#13 John McHobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:02 PM

Its a very open map with many possible routes and hideaways. Heat management is a must here.
Navigation is not trivial and it is truly a hellscape in tone.

Don´t be disencouraged because of negative feedback. Pugs are simply not willing to deal with a map that forces smart heat management and maneuvers beyond Nascar on them.

#14 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:26 AM

For me the only drawback of terma is that i don't see a thing... maybe bad setting or i need to disable something... but it's so dark and reddish, my old eyes doesn't cope with it.

I think people found this map bad because they like camping...

#15 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:43 PM

View PostDamnedtroll, on 08 August 2017 - 10:26 AM, said:

I think people found this map bad because they like camping...

Did someone mention Polar Highlands?!

#16 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:08 PM

TT is a fun map. Player skill should include the ability to manage the heat of their Mech. The only thing wrong with this map is that I do not get to play it often enough.

#17 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:06 AM

Honestly i hated the first version but it was still better than this.. I'm sorry but this map is just a troll map and is garbage now at least roll back to the old map..

View PostRampage, on 08 August 2017 - 09:08 PM, said:

TT is a fun map. Player skill should include the ability to manage the heat of their Mech. The only thing wrong with this map is that I do not get to play it often enough.

It doesn't matter how much you manage on this map even ballistic builds over heat in seconds which just isn't fun at all... Never will be and thats why no one picks it.

Edited by Samial, 12 January 2018 - 12:08 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users