- - - - -

So I'm Eliting The Hunchback Iic Chassi...

Help Me Question

34 replies to this topic

#1 Hawke Gritzan

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:55 PM

So I decided to focus on the Hunchback IIC family after some reading in the forums and etc.

I'm quite happy with my HBK-IIC-A (http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c0a1f9d4ec4cb84).

But now I have to upgrade 2 more variations, right?
So I thought of mounting a LRM Boat HBK-IIC-B. Build is as follows:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5f4b66cdc4a3ab1
As I've never played this type of mech before, I don't know if it's effective to put everything to it (only 1 Medium Laser for defense and "late game").

Anyway, I would like some insight or help from veteran players.

Thank you for your attention.

#2 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:00 PM

Do not LRM, save that trollery for later.

You want SRMs+MPLs on the missile variant. Use Artemis. 4SRM6s for damage or 4SRM4s for more convergence.

If you do actually LRM, 4LRM10+Artemis. This is because the spread on 15s and 20s is terrible.

#3 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:07 PM

Not enough ammo. Personally, I don't even bother with the laser, and I love brawling. Just stick to 200m out for firing, and if someone does try to hug you, just shoot someone else till your team clears em offa ya.

As much as I love the look of those hunches with the four by twenty launchers, I find four by fifteen with Artemis more tenable. That said, try it with the twenties if you've got, go a few matches. See if you enjoy it before you drop the money to add Artemis.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 09 August 2016 - 04:08 PM.

#4 Hawke Gritzan

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:35 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 09 August 2016 - 04:00 PM, said:

You want SRMs+MPLs on the missile variant. Use Artemis. 4SRM6s for damage or 4SRM4s for more convergence.

If you do actually LRM, 4LRM10+Artemis. This is because the spread on 15s and 20s is terrible.

It's quite a short range build, isn't it?
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...64aaca3864223a1
I just stay hidden in cover until the enemy approaches? Because I can't hit anything more than 400m away with this...

View PostLeone, on 09 August 2016 - 04:07 PM, said:

Not enough ammo. Personally, I don't even bother with the laser, and I love brawling. Just stick to 200m out for firing, and if someone does try to hug you, just shoot someone else till your team clears em offa ya.

As much as I love the look of those hunches with the four by twenty launchers, I find four by fifteen with Artemis more tenable. That said, try it with the twenties if you've got, go a few matches. See if you enjoy it before you drop the money to add Artemis.

~Leone.

Something like this?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...af477749044b17d
I really liked it. Feels less like a showerer of death, but it surely looks more reliable.

#5 Wedge Red Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 103 posts
  • LocationYavin 5

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:26 PM

View PostHawke Gritzan, on 09 August 2016 - 03:55 PM, said:

So I decided to focus on the Hunchback IIC family after some reading in the forums and etc.

I'm quite happy with my HBK-IIC-A (http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c0a1f9d4ec4cb84).

But now I have to upgrade 2 more variations, right?
So I thought of mounting a LRM Boat HBK-IIC-B. Build is as follows:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5f4b66cdc4a3ab1
As I've never played this type of mech before, I don't know if it's effective to put everything to it (only 1 Medium Laser for defense and "late game").

Anyway, I would like some insight or help from veteran players.

Thank you for your attention.

Well, yup your first build is pretty much a cookie cutter "meta" build for poking. I sometimes forget how much punch these have. Your second build I would run by dropping the MPL and adding 2 tons of ammo.

FWIW I have some guide lines when it comes to builds and you broke a couple ;)
1) If a mech can equip jump jets, equip at least 1.
2) Never use CLRM20 or LRM20.
3) Bring enough ammo to complete a round without holding back.
4)Have a meaningful secondary weapon(s), or none at all.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e7f3e398e909139

Also, if you chain fire it avoids ghost heat. There are a lot of LuRM haters, most of it misplaced nub anxiety ;) Now is the best time for you to learn LRM-ing, as you climb the ranks they become third rate weapons when use on experienced players. That said, they can be very effective on most maps if several people coordinate in there use. A big factor is having a skilled NARC-er. Anyway, the best way to learn is by doing.

Good luck man.

#6 Hawke Gritzan

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:15 PM

View PostWedge Red Leader, on 09 August 2016 - 05:26 PM, said:

Well, yup your first build is pretty much a cookie cutter "meta" build for poking. I sometimes forget how much punch these have. Your second build I would run by dropping the MPL and adding 2 tons of ammo.

FWIW I have some guide lines when it comes to builds and you broke a couple Posted Image
1) If a mech can equip jump jets, equip at least 1.
2) Never use CLRM20 or LRM20.
3) Bring enough ammo to complete a round without holding back.
4)Have a meaningful secondary weapon(s), or none at all.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e7f3e398e909139

Also, if you chain fire it avoids ghost heat. There are a lot of LuRM haters, most of it misplaced nub anxiety Posted Image Now is the best time for you to learn LRM-ing, as you climb the ranks they become third rate weapons when use on experienced players. That said, they can be very effective on most maps if several people coordinate in there use. A big factor is having a skilled NARC-er. Anyway, the best way to learn is by doing.

Good luck man.

No Artemis?

Your build seems more balanced.
But isn't it better to just ditch the LRM5 for more ammo or another Jumpjet?

#7 Wedge Red Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 103 posts
  • LocationYavin 5

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:32 PM

In my experience, Artemis doesn't bring enough to the game to generally justify its use. You need "line of sight" for it to work. That requires a lot of face time, more face time equals more death fast. An aggressive team that actually supports you, sure use it. If so, use 4 LRM10s. IMHO, the only nearly mandatory use of Artemis in the game is on SRM6s.

Sure, drop the LRM5. But for a more constant stream of chain fired LRMs it is sort of needed.

Edited by Wedge Red Leader, 09 August 2016 - 06:34 PM.

#8 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:58 PM

View PostHawke Gritzan, on 09 August 2016 - 04:35 PM, said:

I really liked it. Feels less like a showerer of death, but it surely looks more reliable.

It is less showery. But the ammo lasts longer, and 15s have a tighter spread, specially with artemis. It feel just as good as twenties to me, and seems to do better for me. (I do admit to basicing that thing with twenties though. It was just too much fun to flood the skies ^__^)

As for those who disagree with Artemis, I ask you this; Who gets locks if not the missile mech? It's always the mech in the front tanking that needs to put in the face time to do the damage, and Hunchback Mark Two, Clan version has often had to be that mech.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 09 August 2016 - 06:59 PM.

#9 Hawke Gritzan

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:58 PM

One more question.

Why the 7 armor on each arm? Isn't it better to strip it off (plus a few from the legs) and gain another .5t?

#10 Hawke Gritzan

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:05 PM

Sorry for the double post, but I tweaked Wedge's build a bit and arrived in this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cf28e5120d0a819

I think it's quite good. The 4 LRM10s are good enough to maintain a good barrage of missiles. It has good ammo (if not excessive), a nice secondary weapon (won't win any brawls with it, but it's not the objective) and, even thought maybe it's unnecessary, the 4 Jumpjets add maneuverability.

#11 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,159 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:56 PM

LRMs are for kids. Man up.

#12 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:01 PM

View PostTercieI, on 09 August 2016 - 07:56 PM, said:

LRMs are for kids. Man up.

Beat me to it. That is almost my exact build too.
Total glass canon. So much fun though

#13 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:05 PM

Eh, I despise large lasers. Too hot for their damage, an too much tonnage that could be better used. I understand that not everyone shares my opinions however, and if it works for you, that's what matters. (Also, the not getting artemis does make it cheaper, which is always a plus.)

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 09 August 2016 - 11:05 PM.

#14 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,950 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:42 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 09 August 2016 - 04:00 PM, said:

Well, actually... LRMs are a great way to rack up chassis experience, particularly in earlier tiers. Since everyone needs to learn how to use LRMs so that we see fewer "LRMS OP, ner nao" threads, he might as well start now. Definitely concur about the launchers, though - one of the things I think needs to be done to balance LRMs is to standardize spread across all launchers, but that's another thread. Ditto for the C-LLaser - I'd recommend This Instead.

However, SRM brawling is also an essential skill - so Terciel's build is a great substitute. Heck, no reason you can't do both while leveling the chassis.

#15 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:13 PM

I'm actually thinking now I need to buy another HBK-IIC-B for LURM trollery. Here are the builds I settled on when mastering mine:

HBK-IIC - For classic AC20 shoulder (but now with Clam tech!). I liked it. YMMV.

HBK-IIC-A - Doesn't run as hot as you might imagine with a bit of trigger discipline

HBK-IIC-B - I find the Artemis isn't necessary. It's an "up and in your face" kind of 'mech. Missile accuracy at range isn't all that big of a deal. Indeed the Wall-o-MissilesTM is an effective psychological warfare tactic.

HBK-IIC-C - Mini-Kodiak

I'm sure these can be more effectively optimised but it's what I ended up with when I was done tinkering with the builds.

View PostHawke Gritzan, on 09 August 2016 - 07:05 PM, said:

Sorry for the double post, but I tweaked Wedge's build a bit and arrived in this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cf28e5120d0a819

I think it's quite good. The 4 LRM10s are good enough to maintain a good barrage of missiles. It has good ammo (if not excessive), a nice secondary weapon (won't win any brawls with it, but it's not the objective) and, even thought maybe it's unnecessary, the 4 Jumpjets add maneuverability.

I'd pull the cERLL, the TAG and the BAP and put in a cLPL. I'd be prepared to listen to arguments for leaving the BAP in and removing ammo instead to counter ECM lights.

Edited by cleghorn6, 09 August 2016 - 11:35 PM.

#16 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:27 PM

LRMs for life :)

With my most okay Mad dog build I have I think 4x15 C-LRM and ammo for nearly 3000. I don't think a medium can be that effective with LRMs, as primary or only weapon. LRMs require so much lauchers, and ammo, to be useful. I've also tried other loadouts, currently I have two, one with 2x15 C-LRM+artemis4, and another with 2x or 3x20 C-LRM. With other I have bunch of 4 ER-M lasers, but can't remember which. Omnimechs are nice for trying out stuff.

LRMs are very imprecise so you need to rain LRMs nearly continuously at anything and everything you can, during most of the game. Well at least that's how I roll. So I don't think medium can carry enough either, much less both. Generally C-LRM 5 and 15 are most effective. If you have few hard points, 15's , if plenty, 5's, specially like on medium.

I think you should definetly try some build with some LRMs. It will learn you how they work and how not. Even with a heavy and good armor, you can sometimes be taken out in few seconds with several enemies dumping all their LRMs on you.

Anyway, you're looking at clan ICC battlemech which seems to have light engine as stock. Allowing it to carry nice LRMs.

First, who buys a clan IIC mech and then changes the engine to another XL type? Most people don't have such amount of C-Bills in start. But, thoso hardpoints and lighter engine can really boat LRMs well. Try like 4xC-LRM15. Firing them in pairs doesn't produse much heat. Have some jumpjets but like two. Tag+Computer 1 works I think better than tag+CAP.

#17 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:36 PM

I skipped the missile one and just went with both ballistic variants so I could put the same boring build in them :3

For the energy one, I plugged in a TarcomV and 2 ER PPCs.

Edited by Elizander, 09 August 2016 - 11:36 PM.

#18 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,159 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:42 AM

View PostBoogie138, on 09 August 2016 - 08:01 PM, said:

Beat me to it. That is almost my exact build too.
Total glass canon. So much fun though

Yeah, it's a tricky brawler. Pop-shooting the SRMs is the key to survival. You're too squishy for a pure brawl. It's the worst variant of the four, but can be a lot of fun.

#19 Hawke Gritzan

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:42 AM

I don't know if I like the SRM build.

It lacks too much range (anything beyond 400m is a no-go) and requires you to be in the center of fights. With my (little) experience with my HBK, when you see yourself in the center of fights, you're dead not too long after. I play mostly (with my laser build) running in the edges of brawls poking enemies and discouraging Lights from approaching my team's Assaults and Heavies from behind, and it works quite well.

I think the LRM build can do the same (to some extent), even thought it's probably much worse against Lights.

#20 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,159 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:52 AM

View PostHawke Gritzan, on 10 August 2016 - 06:42 AM, said:

I don't know if I like the SRM build.

It lacks too much range (anything beyond 400m is a no-go) and requires you to be in the center of fights. With my (little) experience with my HBK, when you see yourself in the center of fights, you're dead not too long after. I play mostly (with my laser build) running in the edges of brawls poking enemies and discouraging Lights from approaching my team's Assaults and Heavies from behind, and it works quite well.

I think the LRM build can do the same (to some extent), even thought it's probably much worse against Lights.

The LRMs are going to be much, much worse at that. The A is definitely the star variant of this chassis (2LPL+MLs to taste, 6MPL and 2ERPPC all good builds) and the B the dud. The SRM brawler can be brutal, but it's very hard to use well. If you haven't already bought it, I'd suggest a version of this can be run on both the "prime" and the C. The "prime" can also run triple UAC/5s and the C can run like an IS hunchie (not great, but super fun),

Edited by TercieI, 10 August 2016 - 06:52 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users