- - - - -

Quick Opinion On A Cplt Build?

16 replies to this topic

#1 Xoruam

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:54 PM

First of all, hello. I started playing MWO recently and - despite my large concerns at the beginning - the matches weren't ending in me being the bottom of absolute rapefests and getting one kill every 20 games at most, like in so many other FtP MP games, so I thought hey, I'll stick around, maybe this will actually be fun. Haven't finished the first 25 matches yet, but I'm getting through.

Secondly, I wasn't sure if I should post this topic here or in the Heavy builds, as I assume people asking these things all the time could probably spam the forum really heavily, really fast, but I had no idea where should I ask about that so I decided to ask here, hopefully it's not too problematic to the mods.

Now, onto the main point: Slowly getting through the first 25 matches, I thought I'd start looking into buying and creating my first machine, so I checked a bunch of posts on the forums and some videos on YT, but I am still unsure of my first build, and since I don't want to throw my CBs uselessly, I decided to ask here.

THIS is something I came up with for the Cat. The idea is a mech fighting on medium to long range, slightly behind the frontline or detatched from it and hitting from a flank, with ballistics as its main weapon. The lasers are more of an auxiliary weapon in case the ammo runs out and on slightly closer distance. If you could take a look and tell me if this is worth anything, it would be really helpful.

Thanks Posted Image

#2 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 01:05 PM

Too much rear armor, bring them down to under 10s... I would go for around 4-8, as for guns, what ever works for you is good

#3 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 11 August 2016 - 01:05 PM

It's not bad, but you might find this, to be more inline with what you are looking to do:

CPLT-K2

This one uses UAC/5's (Ultra AC/5) in place of the AC/10's you were using, these are a little more ammo hungry, but will put out very similar damage over time. They do enjoy the option to double tap for 10 points, as well as having a 33% more range and a faster cool down (1.66 seconds vs 2.5 seconds of the AC/10's). I also changed you over to a standard engine, as it will save you a bunch of space bucks and keep you in the fight once you lose a side torso.

#4 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 11 August 2016 - 01:09 PM

Well, I'm not sold on XL engines in IS mechs, but the build doesn't seem too shabby. If you can twist the damage away from your exposed torso later in the match, it should be solid. But, looking at the tonnage, that's four tonnes difference. Less survivability for just a bit 'o speed an ammo.

My thoughts would be to try it stock engine, like so CPLT-K2, The cheap version, to see if you like the weapon concept. And then upgrade the engine if you feel it needs it.

But if you like that speed, you can throw the endo an Double Heat sinks on. CPLT-K2. A little more tank, a little less shoot an scoot.

Yeah, ammo could be a problem with that version, but its a test case. It's how I build. Get a feel for it as you build the mech up, so you can make tweaks or changes as needed. Make your mech earn it's Endosteel an double heat sinks. Once you've learned to pilot undergeared, it'll feel sooo much awesomer once you've kitted it out. I like to think it gives me more insight into my mech piloting when I've started small with my mods.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 11 August 2016 - 01:25 PM.

#5 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 11 August 2016 - 01:22 PM

Id drop the ams and a ton of ammo for another 2 medium lasers.

CPLT-K2

Without them your firepower is that of a medium mech IMO. Could drop the engine for some more arm armor if you wanted.

The kicker with the catapult is that you'll have to run some missile builds if you want to master them. If that doesn't sound appealing to you check out the Warhammer, they are great for ballistic and laser builds.

Edited by Roughneck45, 11 August 2016 - 01:24 PM.

#6 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 01:49 PM

View PostRoughneck45, on 11 August 2016 - 01:22 PM, said:

Id drop the ams and a ton of ammo for another 2 medium lasers.

CPLT-K2

Without them your firepower is that of a medium mech IMO. Could drop the engine for some more arm armor if you wanted.

The kicker with the catapult is that you'll have to run some missile builds if you want to master them. If that doesn't sound appealing to you check out the Warhammer, they are great for ballistic and laser builds.

ugh, it makes me sad to hear that phrase about the Warhammer...

"Lets give ballistic quirks to a mech that historically never mounted anything bigger than a pair of MG's!"

#7 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:15 PM

Slightly altered UAC version
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...824b10cdae140c6

(This one below is actually mine though)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...67af2b385928336

I believe you do not really need the arms as they don't seems to shield that good.

Furher note, just remember that you need another 2 variants in regards skill tree.

#8 Xoruam

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:13 PM

OK, so I checked your propositions, and my thoughts:

-The closest to what I had in mind would be the +2MLasers version, however I wonder if there won't be a problem with cooling? For one, there is no more tonnage for strapping heat sinks, and additionally IIRC, isn't there additional amount of heat generated when using 4+ of the same weapons?

- I feel that UAC jamming might not be such a good idea, especially since I do tend to sometimes panic in closer quarters, which might end up with me just jamming both of my main guns and ending up a flaming wreck on the ground.

- I chose the XL engine because of one topic here on the forums where pretty much everyone agreed that XL 300 is one of the best engines, not only for Cats, but overally too. Getting an STD engine is an option, however it's a difference of 20kph, since one with similar specs would mean I would have to seriously cut down on either weapons or ammo, either of which I don't really want to do. Also, after playing with the trial Orion for a while, I do feel like anything slower than that would be really sluggish, so the additional HP might be nice after all. The weak side torso does bug me however, especially since the 4 laser version removes the AMS system, and from my experience so far I can tell that LRMs are kind of my nemesis so far (-_-' ) Perhaps swapping one of the lasers with the AMS+Ammo? Not trying to be stubborn about it, just thinking that it might be useful.

Edited by Xoruam, 11 August 2016 - 04:14 PM.

#9 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:56 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 11 August 2016 - 01:49 PM, said:

ugh, it makes me sad to hear that phrase about the Warhammer...

"Lets give ballistic quirks to a mech that historically never mounted anything bigger than a pair of MG's!"

First, the WHM-8M would like to have a word with you.
Second, that would apply to the K2 as well, a pair of machineguns.

The 6R has a wooping -5% cooldown and +20% velo on ballistics. totally OP yup yup.
The Black Widow comes with even more OP +10% velo quirk. So much ballistic quirks any jager would be jelly.

So much ballistic quirks..

#10 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:12 PM

View PostXoruam, on 11 August 2016 - 04:13 PM, said:

- ... additionally IIRC, isn't there additional amount of heat generated when using 4+ of the same weapons?

- ...I do tend to sometimes panic in closer quarters, ...

- ... the AMS system, ..

- Ghost heat? with MLas it would be more than 6 i believe.

- Fair enough, 10s is not bad, just shave the arms if you dpn't use them. Just note, that the idea is like you said, be the support line, by firing only the UAC (or AC10s) and not the laser without getting too much attention, No ammo? No one is shooting you? then pew-pew the laser.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e9f597917006ba5
(seems hot, but you are the support line, so just fire the ACs and should be fine)

- 1 AMS is not enough, at least to my experience. Plus they require ammo apart from your ballistics, increase the chance of ammo explosion. Speaking of which, XL + ammo in the Side Torso? no no. Fill the Legs first (whgich you did), then CT and Head. Now for the LRM, get to cover, buildings, big/tall rocks. After you have neough money I really recommend getting module Radar Deprivation, it is expensive, but worth it, along with Seismic sensor, but they are for the long run. (also I find that recently people taking out their LRMs, might be because of the event)

STD engine is okay on CPLT, but like JM6 and a few other chassis, they require XL to be effective. STD is doable, but still. 300 is a good size.

Try this too http://keikun17.gith...eat_simulator/#

Edited by Ingga Raokai, 11 August 2016 - 05:20 PM.

#11 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:39 PM

Dual AC5's + dual PPC's +XL280, It is a really fun sniper build though runs a bit hot, but when it does just shot the AC's till you cool down.

Drop down to LL's or ERLL's and swap to UAC5's or increase engine size for a little variety on the same model.

Both can be fun..

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:46 PM

With regards to AMS, a single AMS will usualy take out 5 missiles from a volley, if your whole team was mounting it and grouped up together that would mean missiles would be unable to hit, but if 1 Mech carries it that will do little against a 30 missile volley.

If you can take 2-3 AMS especialy in conjunction with the range and/or overload/rate of fire modules you can suddenlt take out 15-20 missiles from a volley, at that point AMS is well worth having.
If the missiles are not targeted at you and you can put yourself between the missiles and their target your AMS has longer to work and can kill more missiles, if you retreat from the missiles that can get the AMS longer to work.

#13 Xoruam

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:25 AM

OK, the thing with the AMS seems convincing enough. Guess I'll go with the 4xMLas then. Might play with the stock for a few matches though, see how it fares before modding it. I'll keep the rest of the propositions in mind for possible reference in the future though :)

Thanks for the help, and see you on the battlefield ;)

#14 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:46 AM

Just want to chime in and say that the 4ML/2 AC 10 K2 is one of my favorites, I heartily recommend it.

#15 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:59 AM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 11 August 2016 - 04:56 PM, said:

First, the WHM-8M would like to have a word with you.
Second, that would apply to the K2 as well, a pair of machineguns.

The 6R has a wooping -5% cooldown and +20% velo on ballistics. totally OP yup yup.
The Black Widow comes with even more OP +10% velo quirk. So much ballistic quirks any jager would be jelly.

So much ballistic quirks..

When I use the word "Historically" it is in reference to the variants we have in game, the 6R, 6D, 7S and Black Widow. I never said anything about them being OP, I said that they were out of place on mechs that normally mount nothing bigger than MG's. I'd rather that they have SRM quirks on the 6R over generic Ballistic quirks, or hell even Mlas or SLas quriks over generic Ballistic quirks, at least they would make sense for the chassis (6R and Black Widow).

#16 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:29 PM

I tried AC10s, just found they were a bit lacklustre as the facetime vs pallet/rattle didn't deter enough people.

So I went with the first one below. This is a K2 I use for FP, works very well, regularly tap out 800+ dmg in it.
STD260 / AC5 / LL

I find alternating AC5 fire with it's faster cooldown (with module) while bashing lasers into people makes them run and hide a lot better. So more effective to suppress even if you're not doing massive targeted DPS.

XL300 / AC5 / LL - If you want to XL it and move a bit faster and gain more ammo/cooler, but it's a little fragile cause of the XL

#17 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 11:39 PM

optimised original
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...86068e12def03d7

PPFLD
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...01d565392ce41e4

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users