Thoughts On Energy Draw

No replies to this topic

#1 Lusty Valkyrie

• Pip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:05 PM

First off, with the way I build mechs currently, I barely noticed energy draw; or if I did notice, it was because the new mechanics gave me a marked increase in my DPS.

Honestly, not sure thats a good thing.

I'll use my favorite executioner build for example (A build most often called '****' by people that spectate it, or that have it locked up)

Exe - 2 LPL, one in each shoulder, 7 SMPL in one arm, 3 ERML in the other arm.

Live - you fight by using LPL for your 'reach' weapon, as they are high mounts, and easier to score a full burn on than ERLL; without hit-reg issues of PPC's. Once the fight has moved to mid range, you alternate between LPL and ERML. As the fight closes to knife range, you alternate between LPL punches and SMPL punches, or, if you aren't being focused, work entirely on SMPL punches. This comes out to a hot, but effective, highly aggressive build that can wreck face if you have the fire discipline to run it.

PTS - You fight by using LPL as reach weapons... LPL and ERML as mid-range punches.... Then when you get into knife fight range? You use everything. Set SMPL on chain and just rapid click through all 7, you still get the full punch in the duration of a ERML burn... and you just go one group after the other. End result? I can fire each group 6 times (done correctly) before I over-heat.

Live? I can fire 2-3 times before worrying about heat.

---------------------

how to fix? New heat bar is wonderful... I love the new heat bar. However, the energy bar? I feel that regens far too fast; enabling mechs with a high heat cap to punch and ignore the energy bar, or to just wait a beat (no where near long enough) before moving to their next group.

here is my thought-craft exercise on how to fix to really improve TTK to a slower, more strategically focused pace.

Energy regen, 5 to 10 per second. Keep max energy at 30, but scale by mech hull. So, some assaults and some heavies would have 30 energy - one or two mediums would have 30 energy (the ones known in lore for carrying a ridiculous amount of weaponry, like the nova)

So, for example - Atlas - 30 energy, Highlander - 25 energy, Stalker 25 Energy, Mauler 30 Energy, Awesome 25 Energy; Clan: Kodiak - 30 Energy, Dire Wolf 30 Energy, Gargoyle 25 Energy, Executioner 25 Energy, Warhawk 30 Energy, Marauder IIC 25 Energy.

Most heavies would carry 25 energy - with a few exceptions having 30. like, Black Knight, Timber Wolf, Thunderbolt, Summoner. Most would have 25 energy.

Then mediums... Only one or two would boat 30 energy, the rest of them would have between 20 and 25. So, for example - Phoenix Hawk - 20 energy. Vindicator 25 Energy. Viper - 20 energy, Shadowcat 25 energy. Nova - 30 energy, Shadowhawk 30 energy etc...

Then you would have the lights. Some are known for being little tiny powerhouses. But the rest, are known for having to fight smarter to be of use... Most lights would have 15 energy, with a few of them having 20 energy, and one or two having 25 energy. Locust having the same amount of energy available for weapons as an Atlas, Dire Wolf, or Kodiak is insane. And yes, I think the locust would still be a nightmare in the hands of a decent pilot with only 15 energy. You rarely fire and stay in the immediate fight... you fire, maneuver, tease, get them to waste heat, then position and fire again. Thats how the best locusts are fought... any other way is pretty much suicide.

I feel like increasing TTK is a fine goal; and this initial pass is a good first step, but it needs to be taken further. 30 is a good upper limit, but regen needs to be slower, and there needs to be some variation. ((As a side note, you could also introduce a pair of quirks to help further ballance mechs... Energy regen rate increase, and energy cap heatscale reduction)) (edited for punctuation error)

Edited by Purple Pixel Dust, 19 August 2016 - 02:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users