194 replies to this topic

#101 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:02 PM

View Postinfi, on 10 December 2011 - 12:56 PM, said:

Troll success +1

No - he must be from Glasgow - maybe this is what Frankie Boyle's got up to?

#102 Haeso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

View Postinfi, on 10 December 2011 - 01:01 PM, said:

no no, I understand when you poke fun... we are meant to find it funny...

when I do it I'm a troll/flamer/hater/elitist and generally bad guy...

got you loud and clear buddy

If you don't understand the difference between a parody designed to prove the point, and what you've done, I cannot help you =(

#103 infi

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 27 posts

View PostHaeso, on 10 December 2011 - 01:01 PM, said:

I see you missed the point entirely there, Tyrant.

Well done Tyrant... go back and read the man's post again... you clearly missed his point

#104 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

View PostNik Van Rhijn, on 10 December 2011 - 01:02 PM, said:

Prestwick actually.

And my beard is far better than his.

#105 infi

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:04 PM

View PostNik Van Rhijn, on 10 December 2011 - 01:02 PM, said:

Actually, that's not a bad shout - you are close enough

#106 Damocles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:04 PM

We understand

View Postinfi, on 10 December 2011 - 01:01 PM, said:

I'm a troll/flamer/hater/elitist and generally bad guy...

got you loud and clear buddy

#107 infi

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:06 PM

Ok, ok... you dont like me. I'll just have to cry myself to sleep tonight.. now perhaps it would be prudent to get back to the topic?

#108 Damocles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:08 PM

You misunderstand, that is not my opinion.

It is a recognition of all you have been saying this entire thread, and I thank you for clarifying it so well.

Edited by Damocles, 10 December 2011 - 01:08 PM.

#109 infi

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:09 PM

View PostDamocles, on 10 December 2011 - 01:08 PM, said:

You misunderstand, that is not my opinion.

It is a recognition of all you have been saying this entire thread, and I thank you for clarifying it so well.

And I bow down to your recognition and file it where it is appropriate... thanks friend

#110 Tyrant

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

View PostHaeso, on 10 December 2011 - 01:01 PM, said:

I see you missed the point entirely there, Tyrant.

Pseudo development of the idea since 2009
Push-back from publishers as they didn't think the idea profitable.
Re-focusing, into a micro-transaction - online only game, read as scaling down.
Announcement, 6 month til summer 2012, live.
Concept art only
MWO - Vaporware until proven otherwise.

#111 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

View PostMaddMaxx, on 10 December 2011 - 01:02 PM, said:

And why exactly is that? Because someone is entitled to it? Or what? Can you clarify please.

To keep people into the release, and to draw new people into it, a few magazines have covered the news of MWO, get something out to them a screenshot or 3 to make a page so people see something, that makes the player base big enough to support the continued development of the game.

Out of the 30987 how many do you think havent even checked in on progress in the last say...4 weeks. Every thread on these boards is made and responded too by the same 30/40 people interest wains as new releases come out each and every week.
]For the game to be even remotely successful at its intention to spur on a game after MWO they need a far larger player base than 30k

Edited by DV^McKenna, 10 December 2011 - 01:11 PM.

#112 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:16 PM

View PostDV^McKenna, on 10 December 2011 - 01:09 PM, said:

To keep people into the release, and to draw new people into it, a few magazines have covered the news of MWO, get something out to them a screenshot or 3 to make a page so people see something, that makes the player base big enough to support the continued development of the game.

Out of the 30987 how many do you think havent even checked in on progress in the last say...4 weeks. Every thread on these boards is made and responded too by the same 30/40 people interest wains as new releases come out each and every week.
]For the game to be even remotely successful at its intention to spur on a game after MWO they need a far larger player base than 30k

you don't think, with maybe 8 months to go, they still have time to grow the interest and potential player base? we are but weeks into a marketing\PR schedule.

#113 Cr0wb4r

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:16 PM

Even if this forum was just to see if they could make money from a game ( aka to see if people would actually be excited for it ), it has been fun has it not?

I can wait, and have been for years. Just as long as they get it right, which I am sure they will. You don't want to wait or you are leaving? Thats just fine. ;P

#114 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:18 PM

View PostCr0wb4r, on 10 December 2011 - 01:16 PM, said:

Even if this forum was just to see if they could make money from a game ( aka to see if people would actually be excited for it ), it has been fun has it not?

I can wait, and have been for years. Just as long as they get it right, which I am sure they will. You don't want to wait or you are leaving? Thats just fine. ;P

Worrying use of past tense there....

#115 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:10 PM

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd we're done (again).

Sorry folks, I was out Xmas shopping with wife and son. A fella just can't get anything done without you kids not playing nice in the sandbox.

I WILL UNLOCK THIS THREAD IF YOU GUYS START BEHAVING LIKE THE INTELLIGENT, CONSTRUCTIVE MATURE PEOPLE I KNOW YOU ALL CAN BE. IF THERE IS ANY MORE NAME CALLING (COUCHED, IMPLIED OR BLATANT) I WILL CALL YOUR PARENTS AND SEND YOU TO YOUR ROOM!

In all seriousness if this kind of heated stuff continues I will pass along my recommendations for more drastic measures than simple warnings. Sufficed to say you don't want that. (scary voice, kinda like Vincent Price meets Agent 47... on a Firetruck!!!)

Please read my above post.

I will leave this thread unlocked until someone in higher authority reviews it and deems it appropriate or otherwise.

If the bashing continues though I will simply re-lock it and leave it at that.

Edited by Mason Grimm, 10 December 2011 - 02:11 PM.

#116 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

View PostDV^McKenna, on 10 December 2011 - 01:09 PM, said:

So your opinion is they are doing it wrong? If so why did you not just say that. Would have been clearer to many much more than the OP apparently.

#117 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:17 PM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 10 December 2011 - 02:11 PM, said:

So your opinion is they are doing it wrong? If so why did you not just say that. Would have been clearer to many much more than the OP apparently.

It's not as much about are they doing it wrong, its about showing something with substance. I like concept ideas as much as the next person, but concept ideas do not make a game playable.
Seeing something of what they have done so far even though it is unfinished and will look nothing like the release would actually build much more excitement and draw attention to the project than showing a map that is pretty identical to the many floating around the web.

All the poll threads on these forums have their place, but most of them are based on speculation there are a large number of people in this community with ideas, show us what so that at least some of our babble is informative, and hopefully on occasion helpful or insightful, rather than having the community rehash the same Cone of Fire/RNG thread 10 times over

Edited by DV^McKenna, 10 December 2011 - 02:19 PM.

#118 infi

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:19 PM

Whilst this wasn't DV's post:

View Postinfi, on 10 December 2011 - 12:00 PM, said:

Back to the devs ... if you want to be taken seriously, stop giving us 'This is what it will look like'... and actually show us what you have... it will probably silence your critics and excite the population of these forums more than any concept stuff you could show us.

Add the fact that the original video was not in-game which really is all we have to go on... I think we have the right to remain sceptical.

That kind of is what he's saying... something more credible than concept art would at least give us hope that a game is genuinely in the works. Like anyone else on these forums I hope we do have a new Mechwarrior game to play - it's been a long while coming and the mods and so forth that have come along in the meanwhile haven't really done it for me/us.

also, thank you mod for reopening the thread... most of the attacks were made at me and tbh I didn't really mind

#119 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:24 PM

View Postinfi, on 10 December 2011 - 02:19 PM, said:

also, thank you mod for reopening the thread... most of the attacks were made at me and tbh I didn't really mind

That is nice of you to say but it is the principle; attacks should not and will not be allowed against anyone, whether they mind or not.

Many people in this thread have been on these forums a long time and should simply know better by now.

I've left the thread open only until someone higher up can review it and then decide what to do with it.

#120 Black Sunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:34 PM

Simple fact is: The 2009 video can no longer be counted as a viable reference because it was made as a concept for a game with a different focus and timeline. I will admit it looks nice and I'd like to play that game.

Secondly this game has been on the backburner until DNF was done which was June of this year. Now that it is the devs have been working on MWO. What is troubling is the announcement was made with little fanfare and only 3 mechs shown as concept drawings. I would rather see a screenshot with big bold letters at the bottom stating "WORK IN PROGRESS" than nothing. A picture is worth a thousand words?

So until we see ingame pictures or videos. We have concepts and words to go off of.

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users