194 replies to this topic

#41 Aescwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 311 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:09 PM

to be honest they initially started this in 2009 as a reboot for consoles and PC but they couldn't get it off the ground. But now they are getting it off the ground, they may have already got the basic mechanics all sorted out. But you got to think its still a long way to summer, but summer can be between June and September. They are releasing stuff, maybe they are just waiting for the right time to hit us with like a little video or something? there have been films and games (i think) that have been announced and then you get nothing until about a month before its released.

Patients is required, they are also fans of the franchise. To be honest i prefer it when alot of info is behind closed doors, because you don't want to ruin the game with a trailer containing every single bit of info of a game within 2mins ( like the general action film trailer ). And small pieces of info released every now and then is obviously drawing people in otherwise there wouldn't be 30 thousand members already

#42 Haeso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:11 PM

View PostNitsua Asuka, on 10 December 2011 - 12:09 PM, said:

Patients is required

Perhaps if you're a doctor :P

(I knew what you meant, couldn't help it.)

Edited by Haeso, 10 December 2011 - 12:12 PM.

#43 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:11 PM

Of course, it occurs to me that maybe something big like a video/renders might well be saved for a crimbo pressie...

#44 infi

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:12 PM

View PostHaeso, on 10 December 2011 - 12:02 PM, said:

Infi, none of the fans are going to care what you have to say, and the developers aren't going to be bullied on their own forums.

In fairness, I at least say what's on my mind without the BS... so I'll just respond to your negative with a yes/no response as I cant even really be bothered replying with fully formed sentences when you are as much of a pleb

Am I a battletech fan?... no
Have I played mech at a high level before?...yes
Am I interested in this "game"?... yes
Do I think this game will launch in a year?... no
Do I think this game will launch in 2 years time?... no
If it does will I be happy?... yes
Am I really bothered about the 'fans' on these forums?... no
Is Haeso a pleb?... yes
Can I be bothered finishing this post before I hit the post button?...

#45 Haeso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:13 PM

In other words, yes you're just here to troll, okay.

#46 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:14 PM

View Postinfi, on 10 December 2011 - 12:12 PM, said:

In fairness, I at least say what's on my mind without the BS... so I'll just respond to your negative with a yes/no response as I cant even really be bothered replying with fully formed sentences when you are as much of a pleb

Is Haeso a pleb?... yes

Wow. No need for name calling. Ever.

#47 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

View PostHaeso, on 10 December 2011 - 12:02 PM, said:

Infi, none of the fans are going to care what you have to say, and the developers aren't going to be bullied on their own forums.

All you're doing is inviting hostility intentionally, why? Just haters gonna hate, or what? I'm all for discussion, but this isn't inviting discussion, this is you deliberately attacking the developers when any sane person knows they're not going to give you what you're asking for, do you just want a self fulfilling prophecy so you can pretend you're legitimized? Do you just enjoy starting flame wars?

Nobody is attacking the developers (suicide much?) i probably should should be sorry i didnt make a poll thread giving people options. Or perhaps im used to a different type of discussion within this industry where the answer is not always in the title.

I also find it ironic that you attack Infi's post, which is a bit tongue in cheek considering the initial responses to this thread. And it appears people are unable to comprehend how many meanings there are for vaporware.

With their postings, they have indicated to the fanbase this has been in development for over 2 years, would you class concept ideas and drawings as an acceptable 2 year production?

#48 Haeso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

View PostMchawkeye, on 10 December 2011 - 12:14 PM, said:

Wow. No need for name calling. Ever.

He's not here for a discussion, just to rile people up, better to just take it in stride.

Edited by Haeso, 10 December 2011 - 12:21 PM.

#49 S3dition

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

View Postinfi, on 10 December 2011 - 12:12 PM, said:

Am I a battletech fan?... no
Have I played mech at a high level before?...yes
Am I interested in this "game"?... yes
Do I think this game will launch in a year?... no
Do I think this game will launch in 2 years time?... no
If it does will I be happy?... yes
Am I really bothered about the 'fans' on these forums?... no
Is Haeso a pleb?... yes

So, to sum it up:

You think you're better than everyone else
You're not a fan of the game
You don't think it will ever be released
You don't care about the forums
Haeso is a commoner

You know where the door is.

Also, you may want to read this thread.

I'm not a big fan of people who know nothing about game development or software development cycles talking like they know something ^^

#50 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

View PostS3dition, on 10 December 2011 - 12:07 PM, said:

You admit you can't make that art, so can you pay for it? No? Okay, how about the video from 2009, do you have the talent or money to do that? No? Obviously PGI has a team that can, and enough games under their belt to prove it.

Oh, and no developer releases content before it is ready. Why? because a million forum nerds get out the nerd rage because a pixel is brownish instead of tannish.

Ugh and how many times must it be said that video was for a different project. Not this one, that project died because nobody would fund it.

I'm not a big fan of people who know nothing about game development or software development cycles talking like they know something ^^

which gives just about everyone on these boards including yourself no right to talk about anything. Constructive....

Edited by DV^McKenna, 10 December 2011 - 12:18 PM.

#51 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

View PostHaeso, on 10 December 2011 - 12:15 PM, said:

He's not here for a discussion, just to rile people up, better to just take it in stride.

Sure. But we have moderators now...

#52 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:20 PM

View PostDV^McKenna, on 10 December 2011 - 12:17 PM, said:

Ugh and how many times must it be said that video was for a different project. Not this one, that project died because nobody would fund it.

Granted, but surely some of the work from that project is relevant to this one? Many of the aims/ideas from the 2009 mechwarrior seem very similar to this one...I'd be very surprised if they simply threw away everything and started from scratch.

#53 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:20 PM

View PostDV^McKenna, on 10 December 2011 - 12:15 PM, said:

Nobody is attacking the developers (suicide much?) i probably should should be sorry i didnt make a poll thread giving people options. Or perhaps im used to a different type of discussion within this industry where the answer is not always in the title.

I also find it ironic that you attack Infi's post, which is a bit tongue in cheek considering the initial responses to this thread. And it appears people are unable to comprehend how many meanings there are for vaporware.

With their postings, they have indicated to the fanbase this has been in development for over 2 years, would you class concept ideas and drawings as an acceptable 2 year production?

WRONG

The hard work began in earnest after the video release. We had an aggressive schedule to visit publishers and gauge interest. In the month of August we met with all of the major publishers, pitched the MechWarrior game to a captive audience and waited. The answers rolled in slowly, starting with the smaller publishers. Then word showed up from the big five. The answer was no.[color=#CCCCCC]
We knew going in, there were two major risks. No PS3 version due to a Microsoft restriction, and the epic market collapse and major recession. In the end, it was mostly the lack of a PS3 option that did us in. The scope and budget required to develop a console reboot needed the support of a PS3 SKU and we just couldn’t convince publishers to take a risk. By late fall 2009, our dreams of making a MechWarrior game, began slowly drifting away.
[/color]
[color=#CCCCCC]
Through the end of 2009 and into 2010 we rallied numerous times, reducing scope and budget, re-pitching the concept as a LIVE only title, etc. etc. In the end, nothing stuck.
[/color]
[color=#CCCCCC]
To be honest, 2008/09 were some of the hardest times this company has ever seen. We spent a lot of time, resources, money and energy on MechWarrior, and it wasn’t looking good.
[/color]
[color=#CCCCCC]
Then, in the spring of 2010, we secured the Duke Nukem Forever contract. This was a huge achievement and a cornerstone in our development history. MechWarrior played a large role in helping us secure the deal. A few key hires filled out our incredibly talented multiplayer AAA team.
[/color]
[color=#CCCCCC]
MechWarrior took a back seat, as we focused on a very challenging and time compressed project.
[/color]

2010 ended, and we rolled into 2011 without much fanfare as Duke Nukem Forever entered the final phases of development.

They haven't been working on this game for 2 years. They've been trying to get funding for it while working on DNF. Try again?

#54 Haeso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:21 PM

View PostDV^McKenna, on 10 December 2011 - 12:15 PM, said:

Infi was clearly flame baiting no matter how you look at it. And no, if that's all they had that would be too little. But what they have and what they're obligated to show as are two different things. Not to mention they've already said the game works going by the "Just logged in and played a 1v1" tweet. Unless you are indeed calling them liars in which case yes, you would be considered a troll. Without any evidence to back up the claim, it's inflammatory without purpose.

Your post was insulting whether or not you meant it to be. Vaporware is an insult in this industry whether or not you intended to use it as such. No matter what you try and say about which definition you use, the word carries negative connotations in our society that are bound to upset people - do you not understand this? Or do you choose to not accept it and blame them for the connotations that word carries automatically? I would blame you for your choice of words rather than their reaction to the word.

#55 infi

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:22 PM

View PostHaeso, on 10 December 2011 - 12:15 PM, said:

I like you... who are you?... really

At any rate... if anyone has offence with being called a pleb, the most insulting thing anyone in history could ever call someone *roll eyes*... lets just leave that there lol.

Believe it or not I'm not on here to troll (although if you keep giving me ideas) and if you do actually read my posts they do make sense... I am reading yours and to be quite honest it all sounds like you are content to play the 'good little boy' in the hopes that it will favour you.

Now where does that leave me?... I'm actually willing to SPEND MONEY on a game if there actually is one, I dont feel I need to be nice to the developers or anything... the fact they GEY MY MONEY should be enough for them.

Like me or loathe me, makes very little difference to what is on discussion

#56 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:24 PM

View PostDV^McKenna, on 10 December 2011 - 12:17 PM, said:

which gives just about everyone on these boards including yourself no right to talk about anything. Constructive....

You think the 3d models and textures used in that video sprang out of no where? Obviously it's still content geared towards the final project.

NOOOOOO... my programming powers have been sapped because someone on a forum said I have no knowledge of software development. My one weakness... FORUM TROLLS!

#57 Damocles

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:27 PM

pointless thread needs to be locked.

#58 Black Sunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

Until it releases, Its vaporware.

#59 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:29 PM

No need to be disrespectful.

Many games allow media outlets to procure exclusivity rights to screenshots , video , trailers , etc . It's always possible they are still working out partnerships.

Interesting question OP, but probably still to early for this . The development cycle is , in my opinion, on the shorter side , however it appears they are making good headway .

#60 Tyrant

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:29 PM

View PostS3dition, on 10 December 2011 - 12:20 PM, said:

They haven't been working on this game for 2 years. They've been trying to get funding for it while working on DNF. Try again?

Yep MWO is Vaporware, going back to WoT then PlanetSide2 then maybe in 2014 MWO will have some models renders.

Looking forward to discussing randomization systems in an FPS game in 2014.

Edited by Tyrant, 10 December 2011 - 12:31 PM.

29 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 29 guests, 0 anonymous users