Vaporware or Not

194 replies to this topic

#81 Tyrant

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:49 PM

View PostHaeso, on 10 December 2011 - 12:42 PM, said:

Now you're trying to browbeat me and others into being responsible for their negative reaction when you should have know the reaction would be negative. It's your responsibility when you post to do so in a way that isn't inflammatory, using a term like vaporware is always going to be inflammatory when talking with other gamers DV. You can try and justify it all you want, you can try and pretend those negative connotations don't exist, but they will. And you are responsible for using the word, not anyone else.

Piranha are more responsible, after they showed the concept art for the Atlas they should have waited a few weeks and shown the atlas animated walking around in a gray sandbox. Not linking the IS map and concept ideas.

#82 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:49 PM

Both are true hunters, one just had a luckier day :P

S3 im not twisting your words around as much as i could be, i work in an industry that requires evidence to back up the claims, where does that concept video for another concept fit in to "releasing information about this concept".

#83 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:50 PM

View PostDV^McKenna, on 10 December 2011 - 12:43 PM, said:

Is this not what peoples opinions of what the word means? Not its actual meaning?

Yes, but the meanings of words and indeed the usage of words all depend on the consensus. you might think its means this, everyone else thinks that. Then That becomes the accepted definition. Back in the day, vaporware first implied criminal fraud, but that changed. vaporware has come to essentially mean someone is a liar. I personally think this is due, in no small part to dear old DNF and the Vaporware awards.

What it technically means and how it's construed by the masses can be two very different things.

#84 infi

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:51 PM

View PostMchawkeye, on 10 December 2011 - 12:50 PM, said:

Yes, but the meanings of words and indeed the usage of words all depend on the consensus. you might think its means this, everyone else thinks that. Then That becomes the accepted definition. Back in the day, vaporware first implied criminal fraud, but that changed. vaporware has come to essentially mean someone is a liar. I personally think this is due, in no small part to dear old DNF and the Vaporware awards.

What it technically means and how it's construed by the masses can be two very different things.

Seriously dude... what are you talking about now?

I didn't realise I had walked onto the set of QI... can we bring this back down to a reasonable level of comprehension for people that just want to play a video game? thanks

#85 Haeso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:51 PM

Dark and Light is the true vaporware. And to me, that's always what vaporware will mean. I understand when people try and use it to mean something else, but to me that speaks of laziness or intentional flame baiting. If you don't want to compare it to the atrocities connected to Vaporware in the past, use a different word or phrase and stop being lazy or intentionally inflammatory.

#86 Damocles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:53 PM

View PostDV^McKenna, on 10 December 2011 - 12:49 PM, said:

i work in an industry that requires evidence to back up the claims

Curious, are you in pest control? Like someone tells you "hey my house smells like sh-t." and you go "Oh yeah there is rat sh-t under your house, see?"

#87 Tyrant

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:54 PM

Nop, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

Vaporware is a term in the computer industry that describes a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually released nor officially canceled.

MWO is Vaporware, until proven otherwise.

#88 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

I accept that, and i used the word because it fits into the part of the definition i underlined. If its construed by others as something else that i can not control. Its not ment as a slight to the devs at all, infact i really enjoyed the twitter release of the atlas.
But by now, we should have seen something that was not just a drawing.

And pest control? yea sort of..i'd class them as pests.

Edited by DV^McKenna, 10 December 2011 - 12:55 PM.

#89 infi

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 27 posts

View PostHaeso, on 10 December 2011 - 12:51 PM, said:

Dark and Light is the true vaporware. And to me, that's always what vaporware will mean. I understand when people try and use it to mean something else, but to me that speaks of laziness or intentional flame baiting. If you don't want to compare it to the atrocities connected to Vaporware in the past, use a different word or phrase and stop being lazy or intentionally inflammatory.

Again, are we just going through the dictionary to try and sound intelligent... "atrocities", try using that one when you are at work and see if you don't get laughed out of the building.

Unless of course you work to find war criminal or something

#90 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

View Postinfi, on 10 December 2011 - 12:47 PM, said:

God I really dont like him as a comedian... He was very good in the not the 11 oclock show that Channel 4 ran for a while. But he's a bit like Jim Carrey now in that he thinks all he needs to do is smile to make people laugh.

He very nearly ruined Stardust (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486655/) for me after De Niro and Mark Strong had done such an excellent job already in the comedic parts.

Back to the thread, I completely remove the mention of calling someone a pleb... it was immature of me when I expect people to be adults.... I just don't know how I will manage to live with myself from now on.

blah blah nonsense blah blah Infi blah blah.

blah blah blah, blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah; blah blah blah blah blah! Blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Blah?

Incidentally, Infi, I'm sorry if you can't understand what I'm saying. It must be my accent

Edited by Mchawkeye, 10 December 2011 - 12:57 PM.

#91 Haeso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:56 PM

View PostTyrant, on 10 December 2011 - 12:54 PM, said:

Nop, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

MWO is Vaporware, until proven otherwise.

So is every other game in the history of ever until it's released by that moronic definition, you're not going to win trying to argue with such a flimsy definition. Either you're just stupid, too stubborn to accept you misused the word, or intentionally inflammatory. And again I'll say I don't think you're stupid.

#92 infi

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:56 PM

View PostMchawkeye, on 10 December 2011 - 12:54 PM, said:

blah blah nonsense blah blah Infi blah blah.

blah blah blah, blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah; blah blah blah blah blah! Blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Blah?

Troll success +1

#93 Haeso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:57 PM

View Postinfi, on 10 December 2011 - 12:54 PM, said:

Again, are we just going through the dictionary to try and sound intelligent... "atrocities", try using that one when you are at work and see if you don't get laughed out of the building.

Unless of course you work to find war criminal or something

You picked up on the negative connotation of the word /clap. It was used intentionally to call something that loosely fits the definition, something worse than it really is because of those negative connotations.

It was a direct parody of his posts, and you only seemed to catch part of it, not the whole thing.

Edited by Haeso, 10 December 2011 - 12:58 PM.

#94 Karyudo ds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:57 PM

View PostTyrant, on 10 December 2011 - 12:49 PM, said:

Piranha are more responsible, after they showed the concept art for the Atlas they should have waited a few weeks and shown the atlas animated walking around in a gray sandbox. Not linking the IS map and concept ideas.

It's only been a month hasn't it? This far out from BF3's release all we got was a teaser. So the fact that they haven't shown anything doesn't necessarily mean anything. It might, but again, it might not. This being a F2P online game means that they could literally launch the game with JUST Atlas in it and nothing else...and then add up from there. It would be nice to see something though.

#95 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:58 PM

Patience is a virtue. Don't forget it. :P

#96 Haeso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:59 PM

And by and large people are not virtuous.

#97 Tyrant

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:00 PM

View PostHaeso, on 10 December 2011 - 12:56 PM, said:

So is every other game in the history of ever until it's released by that moronic definition, you're not going to win trying to argue with such a flimsy definition. Either you're just stupid, too stubborn to accept you misused the word, or intentionally inflammatory. And again I'll say I don't think you're stupid.

Most games that have been in development have released actual ingame footage and something more than concept art, especially ones that are due to be live in what 6 months.

#98 infi

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:01 PM

View PostHaeso, on 10 December 2011 - 12:57 PM, said:

You picked up on the negative connotation of the word /clap. It was used intentionally to call something that loosely fits the definition, something worse than it really is because of those negative connotations.

It was a direct parody of his posts, and you only seemed to catch part of it, not the whole thing.

no no, I understand when you poke fun... we are meant to find it funny...

when I do it I'm a troll/flamer/hater/elitist and generally bad guy...

got you loud and clear buddy

#99 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

It would be great to see something more. Of course it would. But it's clear to me that they have a very specific marketing release schedule. And it seems to be working very well.

#100 Haeso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

I see you missed the point entirely there, Tyrant.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users