194 replies to this topic

#1 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:56 AM

So there is a bit more in the open arena about this "game" now, however we have still yet to see anything that resembles "In Game footage", this could be as simple as menu designs, animations, even the star map implementation.

All we have seen is conceptual ideas, and artwork the development team has well publicised a release time frame for next summer, so where is the work in progress as currently to the community the project is vaporware.
The Mechwarrior/Battletech community has had the rug pulled from underneath it too many times to count and many are rightfully skeptical.

So Pirahna what have you actually accomplished with MWO so far, anything or nothing?
When can we actually expect to see something of substance?

#2 Tyrant

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:59 AM

Would like to see some actual game footage, summer 2012 is not far away, at the very least some 3D models / Maps must be made.

#3 infi

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:02 AM

Patience... they will release it when its ready!!!! *lick devs rears*

#4 Silent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:03 AM

You heard it here first people, illustrious poster DV^McKenna has called out this game as vaporware, and therefore it is vaporware!

Here's some news for you slick, usually a piece of software or hardware has to pass its intended target release date before you can start throwing around accusations that it's vaporware.

Hope this helps you in your future threadshitting. :P

Edited by Silent, 10 December 2011 - 11:04 AM.

#5 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:05 AM

Have to agree with Silent, lets let them ***** it up before we start making Duke Nuk'em comparisons....

In the mean time, I remain hopeful.

#6 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:06 AM

View PostSilent, on 10 December 2011 - 11:03 AM, said:

You heard it here first people, illustrious poster DV^McKenna has called out this game as vaporware, and therefore it is vaporware!

Here's some news for you slick, usually a piece of software or hardware has to pass its intended target release date before you can start throwing around accusations that it's vaporware.

Hope this helps you in your future threadshitting. :P

Vaporware is also a term sometimes used to describe events that are announced or predicted, never officially cancelled, but never intended to happen. The term also generally applies to a product that is announced months or years before its release, and for which public development details are lacking.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

Troll exit stage left.

#7 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:07 AM

This smells like troll dung. I'm sure PGI is skimming all that artwork off of deviant art/concept art and doing all those gameplay write-ups, just so they can yell "GOTCHA!" in 8 months. :P

Hopefully this thread gets locked and burned.

#8 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:09 AM

View PostDV^McKenna, on 10 December 2011 - 11:06 AM, said:

Vaporware is also a term sometimes used to describe events that are announced or predicted, never officially cancelled, but never intended to happen. The term also generally applies to a product that is announced months or years before its release, and for which public development details are lacking.

Troll exit stage left.

Years or Months? So games with a $100 million dollar budget have a development cycle of weeks before they can release, or are considered vaporware?

*** are you smoking?

Hardware and software can take YEARS to develop. Vista took something like 6 years of development time, and was coded twice before release (maybe they should have tried a third time). Games with scratch built engines had development times of 2 - 3 years, with expansions or sequels taking a year or more. It's only recently that games can be finished in around a year, and that's using a prebuilt development engine like U3, CE3, Unity, etc.

Edited by S3dition, 10 December 2011 - 11:12 AM.

#9 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:09 AM

View PostS3dition, on 10 December 2011 - 11:07 AM, said:

This smells like troll dung. I'm sure PGI is skimming all that artwork off of deviant art/concept art and doing all those gameplay write-ups, just so they can yell "GOTCHA!" in 8 months. :P

Hopefully this thread gets locked and burned.

Projects get canceled, some announced some not. its not about a GOTCHA moment like some bad april fools joke planned months in advance,
But what have you actually seen that relates to any form of in game development?
You also appear to be unable to read constructively, it doesn't say they have to be released in weeks.

Edited by DV^McKenna, 10 December 2011 - 11:13 AM.

#10 Holmes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:12 AM

Listen, Duke Nukem Forever and StarCraft II were actually released as commercial games. Vaporware is now a meaningless term to me. LOL

#11 Haeso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:13 AM

View PostDV^McKenna, on 10 December 2011 - 10:56 AM, said:

So there is a bit more in the open arena about this "game" now, however we have still yet to see anything that resembles "In Game footage", this could be as simple as menu designs, animations, even the star map implementation.

All we have seen is conceptual ideas, and artwork the development team has well publicised a release time frame for next summer, so where is the work in progress as currently to the community the project is vaporware.
The Mechwarrior/Battletech community has had the rug pulled from underneath it too many times to count and many are rightfully skeptical.

So Pirahna what have you actually accomplished with MWO so far, anything or nothing?
When can we actually expect to see something of substance?

One of the devs I can't remember who recently tweeted having gone and done a 1v1 a few days ago. The game is in a playable state unless they're lying.

Their funding is secure, and their development process seems fast and focused, without the bloat of PvE it takes a lot less time to develop a game.

#12 WerewolfX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 501 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:15 AM

Someone just made themselves my first target when the game launches.

#13 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:15 AM

View PostDV^McKenna, on 10 December 2011 - 11:09 AM, said:

Projects get canceled, some announced some not. its not about a GOTCHA moment like some bad april fools joke planned months in advance,
But what have you actually seen that relates to any form of in game development?
You also appear to be unable to read constructively, it doesn't say they have to be released in weeks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Need I go on?

Just because the devs aren't giving YOU special access, doesn't mean the game is "vaporware."

#14 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:17 AM

View PostHaeso, on 10 December 2011 - 11:13 AM, said:

One of the devs I can't remember who recently tweeted having gone and done a 1v1 a few days ago. The game is in a playable state unless they're lying.

Their funding is secure, and their development process seems fast and focused, without the bloat of PvE it takes a lot less time to develop a game.

For once i agree with you, and i expected the hostile response from most.
And as you say IF the game is in a playable state, and is quicker to develop with no PVE content, then why have we only seen drawings and sketches.
Every game ever released would have images,screenshots, something actually in game released by the time there is only 7/8 months left till its posted release date.

#15 Tyrant

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

View PostWerewolfX, on 10 December 2011 - 11:15 AM, said:

Someone just made themselves my first target when the game launches.

Sup

#16 Silent

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Usually annoying fans with entitlement issues whine constantly about wanting to see more and more game progress and leave it at that.

This is the first time I've seen an annoying fan with entitlement issues try and twist a developers arm into showing video and screenshot footage by claiming that their recently announced game is already vaporware.

#17 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:18 AM

View PostS3dition, on 10 December 2011 - 11:15 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Need I go on?

Just because the devs aren't giving YOU special access, doesn't mean the game is "vaporware."

You've just proved my entire point, drawings/sketches the video doesnt even relate to this game. I dont know how many more times that has too be said before it sinks in.

#18 Haeso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:19 AM

View PostDV^McKenna, on 10 December 2011 - 11:17 AM, said:

For once i agree with you, and i expected the hostile response from most.
And as you say IF the game is in a playable state, and is quicker to develop with no PVE content, then why have we only seen drawings and sketches.
Every game ever released would have images,screenshots, something actually in game released by the time there is only 7/8 months left till its posted release date.

This is actually PR related, they can't release gameplay elements that aren't finalized or you get entitled little prats that will never stop whining if it gets changed in favor of something that is in all respects better.

Also, they need to have things to keep releasing up until launch. You'd be surprised how little you have to talk about if every week you're doing an expose on a game feature. We used to run the same deal where I work, every week we'd have an interview or a spotlight on a feature, and towards the end we realized, "Well ****, we're out of things to talk about"

#19 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:22 AM

View PostHaeso, on 10 December 2011 - 11:19 AM, said:

This is actually PR related, they can't release gameplay elements that aren't finalized or you get entitled little prats that will never stop whining if it gets changed in favor of something that is in all respects better.

Also, they need to have things to keep releasing up until launch. You'd be surprised how little you have to talk about if every week you're doing an expose on a game feature. We used to run the same deal where I work, every week we'd have an interview or a spotlight on a feature, and towards the end we realized, "Well ****, we're out of things to talk about"

Valid points, and at least your capable of an actual discussion, actually scratch that at least your capable of reading. Releasing WIP (Work in progress for the trolls) can be a double edged sword, but is that not why it is WIP its not finished not ready, but thats never stopped developers from releasing it to showcase whats in store for their community.

#20 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

View PostDV^McKenna, on 10 December 2011 - 11:06 AM, said:

Troll exit stage left.

View PostDV^McKenna, on 10 December 2011 - 11:09 AM, said:

Wait, so you post saying that anything posted MONTHS TO YEARS before release, and information is lacking constitutes vaporware, then say I can't "constructively read" (really, that's what you're going with?). Sorry, but I must have missed something here... If not weeks, then what? centuries? Decades?

28 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 28 guests, 0 anonymous users