Vaporware or Not

194 replies to this topic

#161 Black Mamba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:30 AM

All it takes is a bit of faith. If we cannot do that then how can we call ourselves human?

#162 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:30 AM

View PostSilent, on 11 December 2011 - 06:14 AM, said:

How so? The developers only need several thousand diehard players willing to spend their money on the game in order to generate decent funding. I'll just throw out a figure: If right now there were 8k diehard Mechwarrior players that bought up everything the developers released for this game (lets say that totals $120 at the end of the year), they'd be making $960k. That's not including the players that only occasionally purchase something. Hell, that's not even including special events or promotional deals where there's typically an influx of new blood.

$960K, would depend on what the total cost of producing the game and its running costs were, but im pretty confident that wouldn't cover development in 2 years quite possibly more.
And 8k players is hardly likely to make a publisher sit up and say yea lets go waste x million making a MW game that only 8k people will buy.

I cant seem to find a number of how many copies of Mechwarrior 4 sold, and ofc we know that it wasn't enough to warrent production of another game in the series.

#163 infi

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:35 AM

View PostMchawkeye, on 11 December 2011 - 06:17 AM, said:

Pardon?

We're on to one word responses now... clever.

But i'll clarify none the less - you implied that the OP believed the developers were stupid... whether in good knowledge or by accident - and that clearly isn't the case. Just pointing that out for you seeing as you couldn't see that from the post you made.

#164 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:41 AM

View PostMchawkeye, on 11 December 2011 - 06:25 AM, said:

Of course more would be better. of course it would.

But these people have targets designed into there marketing plan/business plan and they must be at least meeting them 9the impression i get is that they are beating them), or things would have changed, I would have thought. Not all games, like SW which has cost hundreds of millions to produce, need massive figures to guarantee their initial or continuing success.

That, and of course what will be released in the summer will be a small part of what the game will ultimately become. and it's those figures that decide the fate of the franchise, no the number of people who signed up months away from release; isn't that kinda like judging a film on the number of tickets prebooked as opposed to the number of people who actually sat bums on seats?

Valid, but if games can ship 200/300 thousand copies and are not considered successful by publishers (read they didnt make enough profit) there is much work to be done if they want a publisher to pick up any further developments.

#165 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:50 AM

View PostDV^McKenna, on 11 December 2011 - 06:41 AM, said:

Valid, but if games can ship 200/300 thousand copies and are not considered successful by publishers (read they didnt make enough profit) there is much work to be done if they want a publisher to pick up any further developments.

True...but surely it's all relative? MWO might be comparatively cheap to produce compared to a similar game depending on the budgets (I don;t have any budget information, of course, this is purely abstract) and thus require fewer sales to make it successful. SWTOR, on the other hand, cost more money than god to make and consequently needs MILLIONS of players to make it a success.

Does the fact that they haven't rushed out any information ahead of time (and we know they have at least a basic working game) not suggest that they are at least confident in their game and the numbers they are getting currently?

#166 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:55 AM

View PostMchawkeye, on 11 December 2011 - 06:50 AM, said:

True...but surely it's all relative? MWO might be comparatively cheap to produce compared to a similar game depending on the budgets (I don;t have any budget information, of course, this is purely abstract) and thus require fewer sales to make it successful. SWTOR, on the other hand, cost more money than god to make and consequently needs MILLIONS of players to make it a success.

Does the fact that they haven't rushed out any information ahead of time (and we know they have at least a basic working game) not suggest that they are at least confident in their game and the numbers they are getting currently?

I bet you it is relatively cheap to produce compared to a standard game, well i say cheap....but it's still more money than most of us would ever care to dream about.
I have no doubt this game will be relatively successful, will it be enough to see further productions in the franchise there after? i guess time will tell.

#167 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:59 AM

View PostDV^McKenna, on 11 December 2011 - 06:55 AM, said:

I bet you it is relatively cheap to produce compared to a standard game, well i say cheap....but it's still more money than most of us would ever care to dream about.
I have no doubt this game will be relatively successful, will it be enough to see further productions in the franchise there after? i guess time will tell.

More money than most of us would care to dream about? You are not wrong there.

If nothing else, discussions like this in forums such as these will help to make the game successful. It proves people are bothered, and give enough of a **** to at least talk about it. That's not a bad place to build a huge community from.

Time will tell. Fingers crossed.

#168 Tyrant

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:01 AM

View PostRed Beard, on 10 December 2011 - 06:42 PM, said:

Read this, and then come back and tell me if you still think that this is vaporware. I am waiting with baited breath to destroy you in-game so many times it hurts.

Sup

#169 infi

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:02 AM

View PostMchawkeye, on 11 December 2011 - 06:59 AM, said:

If nothing else, discussions like this in forums such as these will help to make the game successful. It proves people are bothered, and give enough of a **** to at least talk about it. That's not a bad place to build a huge community from.

Time will tell. Fingers crossed.

Exactly, this is the first time I can say I agree with you

#170 Kyll Long

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:12 AM

View PostDV^McKenna, on 11 December 2011 - 06:18 AM, said:

Not sure if ideas have been mixed up, There was not a publisher interested in releasing a MW game in the current market climate (the 2009 trailer) and so MWO was born, however there has been indication that they would hope that if this project is successful it would convince a publisher somewhere that a new MW game could be profitable in the future.
So i know they have the funding for this game, this game is about the future of the MW franchise if it is not successful (and in industry that would be large playerbase = Financial Return) then it would be unlikely there would be much more in the future.

Which brings me back round to the playerbase yes its at 30k now (how many unique we don't know) and yes it will go up and down who knows where it will be at by the time the game, or persistent beta is released. It would still be better for the base to be far bigger than it currently is.

Possibly an Interesting discussion point (it may turn out not to be), the Up coming Star Wars game (granted its much more popular).
It was announced in October 2008 at an invitation only event, they had produced screenshots/videos of in game content in the same very month although they had obviously been working on it longer.
We are at best guess and it is a guess 6 months into work here, and only had concept art.

I picked Star Wars as its probably the eaisest one, but the above is true for most game development cycles.

My only comment really for this thread. Don't confuse lack of interest with unwillingness to get into some of the legal fight surrounding this franchise. As well, and this is from personal experience, for a long time around the MW4 release a certain company was specifically sitting on the franchise very hard and not willing to license it to others without severe restrictions (at least severe for any major company.

#171 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:13 AM

View PostDV^McKenna, on 11 December 2011 - 02:55 AM, said:

Internet Tough Guy syndrome perhaps?

Boy, you sure have me pegged. Man, I feel told off...I think I'll go whip my dog just to feel like a man.

PS- God bless the Scottish

Edited by Red Beard, 11 December 2011 - 09:14 AM.

#172 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:25 AM

As long as god saves the queen before blessing the scottish that's ok.
But then god would actually have to exist which is a whole 500 page thread on its own.

But thanks for stopping by.

@ kyll
There does not seem to be too much of a legal side to it any longer, other than the Harmony Gold models. But yes cant disagree with M$ sitting on the franchise for far too long.

Edited by DV^McKenna, 11 December 2011 - 09:25 AM.

#173 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:28 AM

View PostDV^McKenna, on 11 December 2011 - 09:25 AM, said:

As long as god saves the queen before blessing the scottish that's ok.
But then god would actually have to exist which is a whole 500 page thread on its own.

But thanks for stopping by.

@ kyll
There does not seem to be too much of a legal side to it any longer, other than the Harmony Gold models. But yes cant disagree with M$ sitting on the franchise for far too long.

Looks like some body is after Haeso's "village troll" crown.

#174 infi

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:30 AM

View PostRed Beard, on 11 December 2011 - 09:13 AM, said:

PS- God bless the Scottish

I think you're getting confused with either myself or Mchawkeye a bit there Red Beard... I'm pretty sure the OP isn't a fellow scot

#175 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:45 AM

Well, if you are Scottish, then please consider what I said to be directed at you as well. I did, however, send that message toward my friend, Hawkeye. He has some strong points here and I always enjoy the chance to lend my support.

If any of you have taken the time to read the article posted by Bryan Ekman the other day, then you would know that this game is being backed by one of Canada's largest publishing companies and that IGP was founded with MWO as it's foundational game. Anthony Brown, the CEO of IGP, has invested millions into this game already and has put forth an enormous amount of time and capital to show great faith in what the devs are doing. The mere mention that this project could be vaporware is not only insulting to the developers, but is a slap in the face to the long standing community that has followed this project from the very beginning. I said it before and I will say it again. Some folks are just trolling for some extra attention. I have yet to detect a speck of real intelligence from the OP's posts. If you have been along for the ride since the start, you would not have posted such a laughable thing.

#176 SilentWolff

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:53 AM

I'm not sure what would be accomplished by having a twitter campaign to announce the new game and the new site. Then, to announce they have their publisher, give a release date of the game and the engine they will be using, if its vaporware. Not to mention how active the devs have been interacting with the community. From a business standpoint, it would make no sense.

#177 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:54 AM

View PostRed Beard, on 11 December 2011 - 09:45 AM, said:

Well, if you are Scottish, then please consider what I said to be directed at you as well. I did, however, send that message toward my friend, Hawkeye. He has some strong points here and I always enjoy the chance to lend my support.

If any of you have taken the time to read the article posted by Bryan Ekman the other day, then you would know that this game is being backed by one of Canada's largest publishing companies and that IGP was founded with MWO as it's foundational game. Anthony Brown, the CEO of IGP, has invested millions into this game already and has put forth an enormous amount of time and capital to show great faith in what the devs are doing. The mere mention that this project could be vaporware is not only insulting to the developers, but is a slap in the face to the long standing community that has followed this project from the very beginning. I said it before and I will say it again. Some folks are just trolling for some extra attention. I have yet to detect a speck of real intelligence from the OP's posts. If you have been along for the ride since the start, you would not have posted such a laughable thing.

The Long standing community has only known about this particular project for the last few months, before that the community was fractured over many different iterations of content.
Just because money has been invested in anything does not mean the project is immune to being canceled it has happened to many projects all across the globe.
The only thing in your posts its hate and venom because someone dare has an opposite opinion to you, and this is not the first thread you have shown such ire towards others, nobody is forcing you to continue to read it or respond.
Your ares convention and four pillars of MWO threads are still front page, perhaps your talents are better suited to those topics you like.

Alternatively you could try discussing much like your friend Hawkeye has been doing.

#178 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:11 AM

View PostSilentWolff, on 11 December 2011 - 09:53 AM, said:

I'm not sure what would be accomplished by having a twitter campaign to announce the new game and the new site. Then, to announce they have their publisher, give a release date of the game and the engine they will be using, if its vaporware. Not to mention how active the devs have been interacting with the community. From a business standpoint, it would make no sense.

When the Old Guard shows up, I stand at attention.

#179 infi

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:14 AM

View PostSilentWolff, on 11 December 2011 - 09:53 AM, said:

It was only very recently that the engine of the game had been 'announced'... again another bit of information that would lend itself to the project being in the very early planning stages rather than in a state at which a release would be forthcoming.

I think a lot of the people are taking exception to the term vaporware... perhaps a better term could be found that doesn't imply that a game will never be released but wont be released any time soon?

#180 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:17 AM

View PostDV^McKenna, on 11 December 2011 - 09:54 AM, said:

The Long standing community has only known about this particular project for the last few months,

Where have you been. Your posts are full of empty assumptions. Most folks have known about this project for two plus years. Goodness, you are so off base.

Sigh...say what you will, but I reserve my good will for those that speak with the correct portions of their anatomy.

Hate and venom? Me thinks you hold on to your sensitivities a bit too tightly. If I were you, I would not venture out your front door. Life gets much more difficult than a forum with people who disagree with you harshly.

The real world is tough, if you can't take a few mean words from a "Forum Tough Guy", than you are in for a bit of a shock kiddo.

Edited by Red Beard, 11 December 2011 - 10:18 AM.

49 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 49 guests, 0 anonymous users