Grim Portico Feedback

6 replies to this topic

#1 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:20 AM

I think Grim Portico has a lot of potential to be a great map. One of the main things holding it back is how difficult it can be for attackers to push through the base.

1. Open up Left side a little more.

Posted Image

So if we are the attackers facing the base, the left gate (Alpha) has some very narrow paths at C4. It's difficult for players to move through it without getting chewed apart by the enemy team or trapping 2/3 of your teammates if you stop to shoot. I would open that up a little more giving attackers a little more breathing room to move and shoot back. Just make it a little better for 12 players to move about.

2. Smooth out the cliffs for jumpjetting mechs

Posted Image

The little square rocks make jumpjetting up that cliff more difficult then it should. If you try jumping vertically they will catch you. Mechs jumpjetting up here and assaulting the base this way should be encouraged because it adds more strategic depth to the push. Not just here, but I think you should smooth out the cliffs all along the gates.

3. Pull back this Out of Bounds Line

Posted Image

I have seen soooo many players suicide here accidentally at the start of the match because they weren't paying attention. It's an uncessary noob-trap. Just move the boundary out farther.

Anyway, I think Grim Portico would be a pretty balanced map if you guys could make the gate-push a little less harrowing. This is something you should make a point of focus when you go back and adjust all these faction play maps. Pushing the gates shouldn't be uncontested, but it also shouldn't be 12 defenders sitting in a firing line demolishing attackers as they push through a choke-point 2-3 at a time.

#2 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 August 2016 - 01:02 AM

Yep the out of bounds stuff really needs to be fixed.

Why can't an invisible wall just be put up? Grim is such a PIA for people who walk out and in some areas, you can get stuck manoeuvring around the little bits that stick up. I've seen many a new player caught out by this. While good players can actually abuse it by running the timer down etc.

Just put a wall, can't go out of bounds, no worries. Most maps you don't have this issue at all.

#3 Imigo Montoya

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:42 PM

I support the points above

all of them are a good way to make a good map even better...

if the alpha gate area is more open and we could just move up with jets there and in E4 it would open new routes for attacks

#4 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 22 September 2016 - 07:51 AM

View PostImigo Montoya, on 15 September 2016 - 11:42 PM, said:

I support the points above

all of them are a good way to make a good map even better...

if the alpha gate area is more open and we could just move up with jets there and in E4 it would open new routes for attacks

The whole area behind the gates needs to be opened up. That place is a deathtrap, especially if the defenders are packing brawlers.

#5 SmokeGuar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 450 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:35 PM

For me Omega gun hitbox seem wonky. Any observations?

#6 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:44 PM

Every Omega hitbox is rubbish TBH, it's the same on all maps. (Similar to the dome ower on HPG)

You can see a UAV, it can see you via direct LOS - But you can't hit it as the gun extends in many varying invisible extensions

#7 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:24 AM

View PostJman5, on 20 August 2016 - 10:20 AM, said:

2. Smooth out the cliffs for jumpjetting mechs

Posted Image

The little square rocks make jumpjetting up that cliff more difficult then it should. If you try jumping vertically they will catch you. Mechs jumpjetting up here and assaulting the base this way should be encouraged because it adds more strategic depth to the push. Not just here, but I think you should smooth out the cliffs all along the gates.

I strongly disagree. This is a rightly placed obstacle for mechs equipping the one alibi jump jet aka "maneuvring thruster".

If you are not trying to get away cheap, but dedicated real tonnage to your JJs, it's no problem to jump up there. Actually, I think PGI should do a lot more of these obstacles or prevent "the lonely JJ" altogether. If you want jumpy mechs, go all the way and install the complete set of (required) JJs.

Edited by PFC Carsten, 04 October 2016 - 01:39 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users