• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:10 PM

I haven't used one yet, but been eyeing them regularly

what is the Shadow Hawks ideal role ?

The SHD-2H & SHD-5M really has my attention.

I like speed and maneuverability, disrupting enemy lines, causing distraction. run-in/run-out (sounds like light mech duty) , but I also like intercepting, defending (note: I might not be any good at those roles, Just I like playing that way)

Which engine would best fit these roles ?

Would a couple AC 5's (any variant suggested), or load up on as many AC2's. or just machine guns ? (LB10x's are my favorite)

SRM or Streak ?

#2 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:26 PM

In cannon, the Shadowhawk was a scout lance command mech. It was heavier armored, but still fast, in relation to other scout mech designs.

However, cannon and this game does not always agree on things. Mech given roles being one such factor. Especially for the Shadowhawk.

In MW:O, the Shadowhawk tends to be a support mech, using it's high mounted shoulder weapons to snip over hills, considering it's also got JJs to get into higher positions to see better over a battlefield.

This isn't do say it can't do other roles. It can perform most any role in MW:O from my experience. How you arm it is basically up to you.

I've found, from personal experience, that the LB10x is very well when paired with SRMs. Right now, IS SSRMs are kinda not worth it. You can't really do much damage with them do to spread, but they can still deal with a light mech if needed. (This depends upon your aim.

So, if you are looking for a fast brawler styled mech, load an LBx and SRMs and you can do well. Maybe have a few backup MLs.

OR

You can do AC5s and/or AC2s for some long range sniping. Maybe pair that one up with SSRMs (depending upon how many missile slots you have) for pesky faster mechs.

There really isn't a right nor wrong here. Lots of options.

#3 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:06 PM

Thanks Tesunie

was just taking a look at Smurfy's with the SHD-5M, started with placing 2 LB10 X, and armor settings, and totally forgot about placing a engine in it, ended up, that's not going to work.

Edited by Xaat Xuun, 30 August 2016 - 05:06 PM.

#4 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:31 PM

View PostXaat Xuun, on 30 August 2016 - 05:06 PM, said:

Thanks Tesunie

was just taking a look at Smurfy's with the SHD-5M, started with placing 2 LB10 X, and armor settings, and totally forgot about placing a engine in it, ended up, that's not going to work.

5M is not the recommended for your proposed concept... but here is an idea for you if you wished.
Of course, change your armor placement to your preference for front and back.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:47 PM

View PostXaat Xuun, on 30 August 2016 - 04:10 PM, said:

I like speed and maneuverability, disrupting enemy lines, causing distraction. run-in/run-out (sounds like light mech duty) , but I also like intercepting, defending (note: I might not be any good at those roles, Just I like playing that way)

Would a couple AC 5's (any variant suggested), or load up on as many AC2's. or just machine guns ? (LB10x's are my favorite)

SRM or Streak ?

I haven't got a lot of suggestions but on the weapons, I have done Streaks/SRMs plus LB10x plus twin MGs and liked it.

It really depends on you.

----

To Tsunie's thing the early Shadow Hawks had as much or less armor as light scouts. Later Shadow Hawks traded ammo and sometimes weapons for better armor, that is until the 4th and ,5th generations like the 5,M where changes are made to the engine and heatsinks instead. Of course in BT the 5M is over a meter and a half larger in overall size compared to the 2nd and 3rd gen models, largely due to a mixture of skeleton and bulkier equipment (engine and heatsinks). The 2D is as short or shorter than the Hunchback according to William H Keith Jr.'s scaled sketchwork circa 1986.

#6 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:03 PM

You want dual LBX-10s? I gots Dual LBX-10s. Warning, weaponry comes at the expense of speed. That said, one jump jet, used effectively, does increase mobility quite well.

~Leone.

#7 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:22 PM

View PostLeone, on 30 August 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

You want dual LBX-10s? I gots Dual LBX-10s. Warning, weaponry comes at the expense of speed. That said, one jump jet, used effectively, does increase mobility quite well.

~Leone.

DOH !!,
I had forgotten about heatsinks with what I had, I didn't like it anyways due to speed being 64. I saw I can run dual LBX 10's, but I had to go without speed. and not really anything for backup if no ammo.

love some of the suggestions and info from all of you

thank you

#8 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:21 PM

Go tripple AC2s then just hang back and harass the crap out of people.

#9 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:16 PM

A lot of people are going to thumbs down me for what I am about to say but...

The 2K is an absolute beast with 3x LPL!

Bearly peak over a ridge and drill into the enemy!

#10 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:20 PM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 30 August 2016 - 11:16 PM, said:

Great setup.
I downgunned mine to std large lasers for a bit more range and bigger motor.
Not tier1 meta monster, but lots of fun.

#11 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:32 PM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 30 August 2016 - 11:16 PM, said:

I'll take a peak of that, sounds interesting, but I'm not much at hill peaking, I think those are the most deaths from, I seem to do better keeping on the move, but it may be due with the mechs I'm trying to peek with

#12 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:31 AM

It's my favourite mech (about a thousand games in different variants), and I pay a lot of attention to how others run it. My experience is that people take quite different approaches to the Shadow Hawk, which is oddly satisfying as it's described as a multi-role 'mech in lore too.

Things you see:

2H/5M: The thing that sets these two apart is the ability to run multiple ballistics on the shoulder. You see occasional 3xAC/2 SHD-2H's, which requires an XL engine to free tonnage. 2xUAC/5 seems a popular solution for the 5M, this requires an STD engine to free space in the side torso. If you don't run multiple ballistics, you should probably look at other variants.

2D2: The distinguishing factor is 4 missile hardpoints (1B, 4M, 2E). I see these in scouting games packing 4 SRM launchers, occasionally combined with an LB-10X.

2D: Same as 2D2, but one missile hardpoint becomes an energy hardpoint (1B, 3M, 3E). On one hand it's an incredibly versatile variant, but on the other hand you practically have to run a mixed loadout. I'd say this is the rarest variant out there. (I run a "lore-correct" AC/10, ML, LRM, SRM loadout which I'm too embarrassed to link here Posted Image)

2K: The "Laser Hawk" or occasionally "PPC Hawk". By far the most common variant. With superbly placed 3M hardpoints on right shoulder, 3E hardpoints on left shoulder, there are lots of popular approaches to this. Excellent 3xLL/ERL sniper. Some go 3xLPL for a medium-range machine. Makes a good scouting 'mech with 3xML + 3xASRM6.

GD: Distinguished by great specific quirks for the AC/10, and 4 energy hardpoints in arms. Most people take the hint and put in a big XL engine, AC/10 and 4xML.

Edited by jss78, 31 August 2016 - 12:33 AM.

#13 Count Zero 74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 733 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:04 AM

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:51 AM

View PostCount Zero 74, on 31 August 2016 - 01:04 AM, said:

I like the German computer, can I have?
I'm personally working on a Chinese one with mixed results.

#15 Whiskey Dharma

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 141 posts
  • Location100 ms from Europe

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:02 AM

The SHD is my favorite - I just mastered the 2D2. At the recommendation of others here, I use the LB10X and 4xSRM4 setup. Lots of fun and very effective, especially on close-range maps like Mining Collective. On more open maps you have to be patient, and slip into "ninja mode" to get close to the enemy.

Sometimes I buddy up with an Assault and watch their back for flankers and lights.

#16 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:54 AM

View PostXaat Xuun, on 30 August 2016 - 04:10 PM, said:

SRM or Streak ?

Shadow Hawk is a support mech. Support for the heavies and assaults. Solid firepower for the tonnage.
I run my 5M with dual AC5s, SRM 4 and 2 ML
and I run the 2D with an LBX 10, 2 SRM 4, SRM 2, 2 MPL.
I typically run the XL 285.
I absolutely love my Shadow Hawks.

Definitely SRMs rather than Streaks.

#17 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:28 AM

In contrast to some of the previous posters, the Shadowhawk is one of the few mechs of which I sold ALL variants after Mastering them.

It just didn't click for me. I loathed the bad cockpit view, didn't find it jumping very well and I just couldn't get the most out of the high weapon points.

Different tastes I guess. Posted Image

#18 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:40 AM

View PostSnagaDance, on 31 August 2016 - 07:28 AM, said:

In contrast to some of the previous posters, the Shadowhawk is one of the few mechs of which I sold ALL variants after Mastering them.

It just didn't click for me. I loathed the bad cockpit view, didn't find it jumping very well and I just couldn't get the most out of the high weapon points.

Different tastes I guess. Posted Image

Not all mechs are for everyone.

This is why I've always told people to experiment and find out what works for them. You just don't know until you try it out.

#19 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:39 AM

Mech can usualy be outfitted for a variaty of roles, set it up how you want

To me the MWO Shadow Hawk has always been a long range fire support/sniper.
It has lower twist range and feels less agile than the other 55 tonners which makes it less well suited for close range fighting/brawling

It's high mounted Balistics are ideal for ACS or Gauss Rifles

#20 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:40 AM

View PostXaat Xuun, on 30 August 2016 - 11:32 PM, said:

I'll take a peak of that, sounds interesting, but I'm not much at hill peaking, I think those are the most deaths from, I seem to do better keeping on the move, but it may be due with the mechs I'm trying to peek with

Taken straight from metamechs.com
3x LPL
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ed80b421e35a53f

3x Er LL
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7b2ff52d706813c

Edited by Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, 31 August 2016 - 08:41 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users