48 replies to this topic

#1 Drogo-MA

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 44 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:44 AM

Just trying to start a discussion here. Let me know what you guys think.......

I am enjoying the scouting missions to a degree. What I think needs to change though is the 1 to 1 IS vs Clan. It still isn't an equal face off here. 4 x medium Clan mech - even with maybe 1 or 2 being light is by no means equal to 4 x medium IS mech lance. Still heavily outgunned and under-armored. A part of me is trying to understand if this is supposed to be this way as a nod to how uneven the initial clan invasion was. However, if this is not the case and it is now just a IS vs Clan universe you need to start going with a 2 to 1 IS vs Clan battle setup or say a star vs a double lance with weight being the equalizer.

Let me know what you guys think. Heck, maybe since I haven't been on since 2012 I am just rehashing an old thread and if so I apologize for wasting your time.

Cheers all and happy hunting.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:48 AM

Most big units play on the Clan side. Doesn't matter if it is 4v4 or 1v1, Clans got quantity if not quality on their side. PGI needs to even up the big units per side and also even up the tech.

Increasing IS side's CW match rewards by a large margin can help.

#3 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:55 AM

They tested this before, and it just doesn't work. The way MWO plays, numbers beat tech every time, so mismatched teams are worse then the tech disparity.

Edited by Bombast, 20 December 2016 - 05:55 AM.

#4 ShiftySWP and the Pleated Pants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:01 AM

Uhhh... they are changing Clan tonnage max to 50 today. You wont seen SCR anymore. IS is gonna roll clans IF you stay heavy and bring Hunchies, Grifs, Cents.

Nova... just take their arms off... insta gimp with 50% drop in DPS.

Hunchies.... blast a torso.... insta gimp with extra heat, lower speed, and 50% drop in DPS. This is the most dangerous mech Clammers can bring now.

Huntsman.... LOL.

Viper.... LOL.

Clan lights.... only dangerous one is ACH. Leg em if you are defending. Take their arms if they are trying to DPS you.

With this nerf to clans in scouting.... There is no reason 4 IS folks on VOIP in brawl mechs cant beat clammers every time. If you bring lights and run around gathering separately, you deserve to lose.

This nerf makes me sad. Pound for pound at 55tons.. a good coordinated IS scout team vs a good coordinated Clammer scout team is a nearly a good fight every time.

This will be the reverse of what is happening in the invasion game. Clammer pugs will get rolled by IS and leave. Clammer groups will stick to invasion. IS will start getting long waits in scouting. Posted Image

Edited by ShiftySWP and the Pleated Pants, 20 December 2016 - 06:03 AM.

#5 kesmai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:09 AM

4 Griffin 2n's in the hands of nonscrubs wreck every clanners day.
Shadowhawk work quite well too.
Cents and Hunchies are not to be trifled with.
And the list goes on.
You might have to work harder together as IS, but it seems that working together is a lost art.
It is easier to blame others, balance etc, than to look at your and your groups performance.
Scouting isn't for the peeps that are used to t5-t3 mud battles and there is no place to hide or go astray.

P.s. I am a bad pilot, but the is/clan discussion is going the wrong direction atm.

#6 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:34 AM

SCR werent the leading reason for scouting disparity regardless. Regular Clan players already know that, running NVA, HMN and H2C to good effect.

The challenge on IS side was and when I log in post patch, will likely remain:
- more soloists per match than teamed up folks
- bringing lights and CDA and then attempting to fight mediums
- the open cusomization that allows for horrid builds on the IS side (bad builds on the Clan side are mitigated by the cXL engine)

As shifty noted above, Clan mechs are easily winnable against but folks want to special snowflake all day (yep, used that as a verb) rather than play smart and then they want help on the mode. Outside of removing skillcrows which will help IS light pilots marginally, this wont change things overly much imo.

IS players will still bring PPC panthers and vindicators to this mode and close to brawl distance because some of them cannot help themselves. The barest measure of commonsense and teamwork in this game can work wonders, but folks want to be the hero from the game and that means doing it the way they envision, not necesarily in the way that works.

Edited by Lukoi Banacek, 20 December 2016 - 07:35 AM.

#7 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:25 AM

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 20 December 2016 - 07:34 AM, said:

SCR werent the leading reason for scouting disparity regardless. Regular Clan players already know that, running NVA, HMN and H2C to good effect.

The challenge on IS side was and when I log in post patch, will likely remain:
- more soloists per match than teamed up folks
- bringing lights and CDA and then attempting to fight mediums
- the open cusomization that allows for horrid builds on the IS side (bad builds on the Clan side are mitigated by the cXL engine)

As shifty noted above, Clan mechs are easily winnable against but folks want to special snowflake all day (yep, used that as a verb) rather than play smart and then they want help on the mode. Outside of removing skillcrows which will help IS light pilots marginally, this wont change things overly much imo.

IS players will still bring PPC panthers and vindicators to this mode and close to brawl distance because some of them cannot help themselves. The barest measure of commonsense and teamwork in this game can work wonders, but folks want to be the hero from the game and that means doing it the way they envision, not necesarily in the way that works.

how abou we give the is those streakcrows as preset trial called "lootconfig" then they can role in them and show what they got.

#8 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:36 AM

View Postdrogon reuak, on 20 December 2016 - 05:44 AM, said:

Just trying to start a discussion here. Let me know what you guys think.......

I am enjoying the scouting missions to a degree. What I think needs to change though is the 1 to 1 IS vs Clan. It still isn't an equal face off here. 4 x medium Clan mech - even with maybe 1 or 2 being light is by no means equal to 4 x medium IS mech lance. Still heavily outgunned and under-armored. A part of me is trying to understand if this is supposed to be this way as a nod to how uneven the initial clan invasion was. However, if this is not the case and it is now just a IS vs Clan universe you need to start going with a 2 to 1 IS vs Clan battle setup or say a star vs a double lance with weight being the equalizer.

Let me know what you guys think. Heck, maybe since I haven't been on since 2012 I am just rehashing an old thread and if so I apologize for wasting your time.

Cheers all and happy hunting.

Nope that'd be trash, even with OP clantech being even just 1 player down is an insurmountable handicap in MWO unless the other team is just that incompetent compared to your side.

3 skilled clanners in meta clan robots vs 4 skilled IS pilots in meta IS robots would lose every time unless the IS pilots **** up really badly. .

View PostLily from animove, on 20 December 2016 - 08:25 AM, said:

how abou we give the is those streakcrows as preset trial called "lootconfig" then they can role in them and show what they got.

I agree, let's give those huge legged deathtraps to the spheroids.

Edited by QuantumButler, 20 December 2016 - 08:35 AM.

#9 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:49 AM

View PostShiftySWP and the Pleated Pants, on 20 December 2016 - 06:01 AM, said:

Uhhh... they are changing Clan tonnage max to 50 today.

WTF? The crying in this game is getting absolutely more ridiculous every day than it already is.

Well, I guess I'm still holding off playing MWO in my new cockpit based off an RSeat RS1, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, and a pair of Apple iPads. It's MWO's loss and another game's gain. <shrugs>

<Yes, I'm absolutely delighted by my new set up and want everyone here to know.>

View PostQuantumButler, on 20 December 2016 - 08:36 AM, said:

I agree, let's give those huge legged deathtraps to the spheroids.

As if that would stop the crying.

Edited by Mystere, 20 December 2016 - 11:27 AM.

#10 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:23 AM

View PostMystere, on 20 December 2016 - 08:49 AM, said:

As if that would stop the crying.

But it's important for science to see what they would use as excuse for their next tears.

#11 Drogo-MA

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 44 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:06 PM

I get grabbing the heavier IS mech for the Scouting mission if you are the "eliminate side" but if you are the gather info, wouldn't it be better to spread out and grab as much info then dart to the finish line?. Just a noob still asking the questions and learning.

Would it be better than if you could see what side you are going into to begin with. That way you could change up the mech you use? Would that appease folks? Like I said before - learning and so I ask....sometimes a lot to the point it annoys.

As for terms used in the forums and in game, is there a forum on here that explains some of them. I just learned "rubberbanding" in one game and understood it when it was happening to me. However, just don't want to look too new. LOL.

Cheers and HH

#12 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:00 PM

View PostShiftySWP and the Pleated Pants, on 20 December 2016 - 06:01 AM, said:

Uhhh... they are changing Clan tonnage max to 50 today. You wont seen SCR anymore. IS is gonna roll clans IF you stay heavy and bring Hunchies, Grifs, Cents.

Nova... just take their arms off... insta gimp with 50% drop in DPS.

Hunchies.... blast a torso.... insta gimp with extra heat, lower speed, and 50% drop in DPS. This is the most dangerous mech Clammers can bring now.

Huntsman.... LOL.

Viper.... LOL.

Clan lights.... only dangerous one is ACH. Leg em if you are defending. Take their arms if they are trying to DPS you.

With this nerf to clans in scouting.... There is no reason 4 IS folks on VOIP in brawl mechs cant beat clammers every time. If you bring lights and run around gathering separately, you deserve to lose.

This nerf makes me sad. Pound for pound at 55tons.. a good coordinated IS scout team vs a good coordinated Clammer scout team is a nearly a good fight every time.

This will be the reverse of what is happening in the invasion game. Clammer pugs will get rolled by IS and leave. Clammer groups will stick to invasion. IS will start getting long waits in scouting. Posted Image

Think I've been dropping against you plenty in Scouting the last few days. We're a pair of CGBI guys, Stoatykins and Tworlort Sparkle as a fixed lance. Not going to lie, if you're the guy I think you are - some of those games with you have been enjoyable, tense and close.

I've not played since the change but we've been theory crafting where to go from here and what to take. Going to be an interesting few days, that's for sure!

#13 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:03 PM

Scouting can be won easily by Inner Sphere with current balance using speed and getting the intel.

That so many teams choose to run to the center of the map and fight and ignore the intel is simply a mistake.

If anything current balance in scouting favours Inner Sphere because of the max speed of mechs.

So it all depends if Inner Sphere want to win the scout war or turn it into another skirmish mode. Many teams do push everyone into turning it into another skirmish mode no doubt.

Edited by Johnny Z, 20 December 2016 - 06:05 PM.

#14 Shiroi Tsuki

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:05 PM

I honestly think it's more of a team co-ordination now that the Stormcrows are gone on the Clanners. Focus fire, target priorities, positioning and stuff like that.

Like what ShiftySWP and the Pleated Pants said, just disarm them along with proper damage spreading/torso twisting, and you can survive more brawls

#15 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:08 PM

View PostShiroi Tsuki, on 20 December 2016 - 06:05 PM, said:

I honestly think it's more of a team co-ordination now that the Stormcrows are gone on the Clanners. Focus fire, target priorities, positioning and stuff like that.

Like what ShiftySWP and the Pleated Pants said, just disarm them along with proper damage spreading/torso twisting, and you can survive more brawls

Got to admit, as a group of Clanners who's been doing nothing BUT scouting the last few days we can tell within moments of an engagement starting if the IS guys were even going to put up a challenge based solely on how they shot back at us. The teams who coordinated their fire, focused out the legs on the Stormcrows and generally seemed cohesive ended up being some of the best fights we've had in MWO in ... potentially ever. The ones who knew how to prioritise targets, take out limbs or legs ... those were good. And I don't know if it's the same against Clans but we only came against those kind of groups in about 1 in 10 games. Otherwise it seemed to be pugs. We even had a few try and sling LRMs against us.

More like that, IS. It was fun!

Edited by Pika, 20 December 2016 - 06:10 PM.

#16 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:30 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 20 December 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

Scouting can be won easily by Inner Sphere with current balance using speed and getting the intel.

That so many teams choose to run to the center of the map and fight and ignore the intel is simply a mistake.

If anything current balance in scouting favours Inner Sphere because of the max speed of mechs.

So it all depends if Inner Sphere want to win the scout war or turn it into another skirmish mode. Many teams do push everyone into turning it into another skirmish mode no doubt.

The problem is PGI doesn't reward doing the objectives, just killing gundams.

#17 Druarc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 180 posts
  • LocationWellington, NZ

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:40 PM

I found if you stick together and 1 person is calling targets then you'll win most scout missions

#18 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:48 PM

View PostQuantumButler, on 20 December 2016 - 06:30 PM, said:

The problem is PGI doesn't reward doing the objectives, just killing gundams.

Perhaps, but there is more than one way to complete the objective

For example by killing 3 mechs and legging the last

You get ample time to get intel

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 20 December 2016 - 06:48 PM.

#19 Shiroi Tsuki

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:23 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 20 December 2016 - 06:48 PM, said:

For example by killing 3 mechs and legging the last

Or killing 1 Mech and disarming and legging the rest because those cheeky Clanners are S's that likes to rub it in.
I still remember that match from a few months ago. Cheeky Cheetah

#20 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:05 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 20 December 2016 - 05:48 AM, said:

PGI needs to even up the big units per side
I'm sorry, but this one is entirely on the community, and you know how much I love to blame PGI.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users