211 replies to this topic

#1 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:33 PM

My thoughts for PTS2, including all the builds that I've (IMHO) adequately tested underneath.

This generally means 3+ matches per build, but some I've shelved due to performance problems (or the opposite) pretty much immediately as the issues, be they pro or con, are immediately obvious.

First:

Mixed builds work great

However, and this applies to all builds, you can't expect to mix high DPS *and* high burst. For example, 2LPL+2CUAC10 is simply impractical. 2CUAC10 is fantastic on other builds, but the spacing it requires means a pure 2LPL+2CUAC10 build doesn't work right (Yes, Gas, you're totally right here). However, on these mechs, such as the IIC mechs (which I love so dearly) there are many great options.

Dialing back the DPS on the ON1-IIC-C, for example, with twin LBX10's, allows 2xLBX10 and 2xLPL to shine. You don't have the dakka, but you get more twisting time in. I love CUAC10's, but two of them in particular tend to pair best with either infrequently fired weapons or lower-draw weapons.

In particular, I found a mixture of spread+pinpoint to be fairly optimal in most situations. This, because you can bring up your damage output via spread (with the attendant disadvantages) while getting a solid pinpoint hit. I'll mention it again in a bit, but LBX's have a very valuable role in this system.

Pure laser builds are less effective than Live, but still effective

It depends on the mech and build. You've got to spread your fire because of ED limits, and both sets are adding burn times. However, it's really easy to use them, and it gives you a very well defined combat envelope. With that said, if you've got the tonnage or hardpoints, mixing lasers with ballistics or missiles tends to reward more in many cases. Assaults in particular allow cooler ballistics+heavy lasers very well, and heavies and mediums can rock missiles+lasers nicely.

LBX Autocannons don't suck! (even the IS flavour!)

I can't believe I'm saying it, but they don't. The 0.75:1 draw ratio allows you to bring a lot more LBX to the table, so you can utilize multi-ballistic heavier mechs *and* heavy lasers/srms very effectively. The lower ED makes them very competitive options for builds with other heavy weaponry.

Boated IS Larges vs. Clan builds

4 IS Larges work very well, fired in pairs, and if possible coupled with a gauss for more damage w/o the heat. Clans don't have a direct competitor, but have many great options. 4 ERML (the classic IS v. Clan laser argument) is 4 tons, 28 damage, and 24 heat over a similar range band and beam duration vs. 36 damage and 28 heat, but (generally) needing to fire in pairs. Clans have less damage done per heat, but then they're doing it with less than the weight of 1 LL. That is, of course, before quirks. I imagine a 4LL+Gauss Marauder would be a beast.

Builds tested under PTS2:

KDK-1, Gauss, 2xLPL, 4xERML, XL375

Enormously effective, netting me 2+ kills in each match I ran it in. Fire/twist/fire/twist/fire/twist, popping in a gauss shot ever couple erml/lpl rotations.

Warm, but very easy to avoid ED penalties, still able to maintain good offense when heatcapped (gauss+lpl). No problem at all, very hitty build.

KDK-SB, LBX20, 2xERML, 4xASRM6, MASC, XL400

Brutal. Simply brutal. The 15 draw LBX20 and very reasonable SRM6's allow cool-as-a-cucumber combat. You don't alpha both together unless you want a kill right then, but fire one then the other while twisting past (never stopping twisting) and you deliver crushing damage with easy-peasy heat management. Felt OP.

AS7-DDC, 2LBX10, 3SRM4, STD350

Felt stronger than the SB, but obviously not as fast. Quirks lead to awesome twist, though, so fine. Same logic as the SB, but much higher LBX damage vs. lower SRM damage; structural quirks and more spread fire made me feel indestructible.

EBJ, 3LPL, 3SRM4 (Lies; only two matches. 3 LPL is a bit too hot at once, and firing 2+1 is impractical)

Decent. 3LPL is risky; required splitting sometimes for heat management (one group of all three, another group of just the two high shoulder mounts). I think 3LPL is a bit too much, really - I'd either run 2 with more SRM's or 4 and fire 2+2.

SHC, 3ERLL, ECM

Definitely a possibility. You can only fire 3 ERLL from range, though, as it spikes about 50% heat. Firing 2+1 is fine, though. Not a build for me, but I don't do the "2ERLL Light" thing at all either. I'm a terrible laser sniper; don't make good use of it's mobility at all.

TBR, 3MG, 4SRM4, 4MPL

4MPL is fine. The +2 heat from 32 draw firing 4 is inconsequential. The build is basically heat neutral firing just the SRM's and the MG's, so you've got 3x4MPL+4SRM4 until heatcap prevents further MPL firing. That's 128 MPL damage and 128SRM damage before heatcap (ignoring the MG's entirely) before heatcap then constant SRM4's off cooldown. Not bad; definitely usable.

- After more matches; I'm really loving brawling in the PTS. It's a ton of fun.

WHK, 3LRM15, 5MPL

Firing alternate arms is easy, as timing wise you're just firing the second arm as the first arm finishes it's beam. 0.7s -> 14 energy, arms are 16 or 24E, so that works fine. LRM15's chained are cool as a cucumber, and while 3x15 does trip the heat penalty, it's by such a little bit that it makes no difference at all. I only chain them when already very hot, but I didn't find myself ever getting that hot.

KDK-3, 4LBX10 - only one match, for obvious reasons.

Well, nothing to say. This cannot trip ED, so it performs exactly as you'd expect it would. Better than it does on live, relatively, because it can DPS fairly well and not face huge alphas, but still basically exactly as you'd expect.

KDK-3, 2 UAC10, 2 UAC5, XL375

Still enormously effective, but heavily nerfed from live. If you fire the 10's, then the 5's, back and forth, you can make it work with doubletapping, but if you alpha all four autocannons you're generating 2 ghost heat out the gate (6 each from the UAC5's). Doubletapping gets you to 22 (-10 for 0.5s) then another 32 puts you to 54, spiking 24 extra heat.

The builds works, and remains very dangerous for dakka, but if you push it hard (and you can certainly choose to) you'll heatcap then overheat very rapidly. Still, careful fire control (well, I just bound the 10's to LMB and the 5's to RMB, then hit one then the other) allows very high DPS. But, solidly nerfed from live.

I'm not even going to try 4xCUAC10; there's no way that's working out well. You wouldn't be able to really utilize the potential. 2xCUAC10 and 2xLBX10 would be a viable option, though it's still a 35 draw alpha.

KDK-2, 4xLPL, 2xERSL, XL375

Initial testing: Quad LPL is certainly doable, but not a very good build vs. mixed builds. DPS is too low in comparison, and while you can alpha (even just the LPL's, ofc), it's not that impressive an alpha for a lot of heat. Going to leave this for now, because I don't feel 4 LPL's on a mech that can mount so much more firepower is a good build, and it's definitely not a fun one. Certainly no advantage vs. mixed builds like my KDK-1 above.

EBJ, UAC5, UAC2, 3ERML, SRM6

Testing hard mixed builds WITH DPS autocannons, trying to appease Navid A1. In this instance, we've got constant UAC5+2 fire+3ERML, with the SRM6 thrown in when the mood suits. Not a terribly great build (which is obvious) as the SRM6 is pretty much silly; a second UAC5 would probably be better, but the UAC2 is hotter so I decided to bring that along to have a higher Autocannon DPS heat/draw component. Very cool build, though, so I'm kind of at a loss; still easy to avoid tripping Energy Draw.

ON1-IIC-C, 2LPL, 2CUAC10

I saw Gas in this. My build's a bit different, but I'll toss this in to give it a go, and see what the noise is all about. Gas is right in his assessment here; you're basically unable to use both in most circumstances. That said, firing both is essentially a 66pt alpha, so that's that. Only one drop with it, and I'll leave it there: He's right, the build just doesn't work well, as you can simply choose to doubletap the UAC making the twin LPL's useless. With that said, I can think of a great many ways to improve the build under ED, so I'll go that way now.

TBR, 2 LPL, 4 ERML

Exactly what you'd expect. Works great. Pulling high damage in games (streamed by Sean Lang, so evidence exists). I do not find it more effective than lasers+missiles or lasers+ballistics (or even ballistics+missiles) but equally viable. It's good to see that pure laser builds are entirely workable.

MDD, 5LRM5, LRM10, 5ERSL

This is one of my favourite mechs on live. There's the inconsistency from LRM's, but it's a badass brawler that's heat neutral with either LRM or ERSL, and still moderately cool with the works going. It's a monster held around 200-220m, ideally in a mixed scrum where LRM's can be fired over friendly mechs and you can limit exposure of side torsos. Better than on Live. The LRM35 can be chain or group fired without overdrawing. If you're actively group firing the LRM35, then you need to fire arms of lasers separately however. If you are chainfiring the lurms, then you can group all 5 lasers without ever being able to overdraw. It *IS* possible to overdraw, but only if you alpha everything, or fire all 5 lasers very quickly after all 35 tubes. Quite strong; though of course still limited by LRM "reliability".

STK-M, 4LL, Gauss, STD300

Very strong. I suspect this will be a favourite of many IS players, particularly laser/gauss folks. Limited, however, in that you CAN alpha the 4 LL's, but generally won't want to, and the Gauss while very effective features that killer-long cooldown so has to be used very carefully up close. I found you can effectively fire the gauss with a pair of LL's by starting the beams, then firing the Gauss mid beam, without spiking ED. So, fire a pair+gauss, then the other pair.

DWF-B, 4MPL, 2ASRM6, 2LBX20

I was looking for a Direwolf build that the KDK couldn't effectively mirror but be better at just because the KDK is so much better than the turretDWF. The DWF can boat lots of LBX autocannons well enough, but that isn't very interesting (and the KDK can still do much of it better), but this build felt interesting enough to try.

This has the downside of being a slow brawling assault, with all that entails. You need to be able to get close without being beaten to bits at range. Fortunately, ranged alphas are severely curtailed and can be spread easily, so there's that. Success here though is dependant on all the factors that normally apply with a slow, short ranged brawler. With that said, once you get close? Twist, LBX40(30E), twist, SRM12(18E), twist, MPL(32E); it can do this all day without heat ever being an issue, even though you do spike overdraw a tiny bit on the 4MPL's. As it's a pretty cool build in practice, you're able to wade in spread; then tighten up your firing when you can put someone down. If things are harsher, and you're taking more fire, then forgoing the MPL's is worth it - it's 32 pinpoint damage, and only 0.7s, but sometimes it's better to keep twisting instead.

I'd try ranged DWF builds, but it's taken me most of the day to get my 3 drops with this in.

Is it spectacular? No

Edited by Wintersdark, 24 August 2016 - 11:09 AM.

#2 SpiralFace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:48 PM

What's your impression of mixed builds vs. Boat builds?

Do you feel things like the KDK would just be better served with quad or quintuple LPL's?

#3 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:22 PM

Overall, I'm finding Brawling is way more effective than I expected it to be. Brutally so. At least with the brawling builds above, I've been able to push in and deal crushing damage while twisting like a mofo.

I expected it to be lackluster without SRM draw reduction, but that wasn't the case. LBX's being so low on draw allows LBX+SRM builds to crush it, and the shorter burn on Clam MPL's is definitely appreciated while being able to dish 32pt's from 4 is welcome.

Tough choice between ERML and MPL, though; a lot harder than it was before, you can use 4 of either. ERML fires further, but the longer duration is very noticable up close. On the other hand, the MPL's are a bit hotter and obviously cost more tonnage. As you can't just use a 5th ERML, the choice is much tougher.

View PostSpiralFace, on 23 August 2016 - 05:48 PM, said:

Do you feel things like the KDK would just be better served with quad or quintuple LPL's?

You've been in a lot of those matches with me, I've been doing quite well so far.

I haven't boated a lot yet, but I'll be doing that soon. I wanted to start with boated builds, actually, but people like Navid A1 and Gas keep saying that mixed builds are just wrecked.

Even so, my mixed builds have done EXTREMELY well, with no heat issues.

#4 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:26 PM

Almost None of my mechs have less than 3 weapon groups, or less than 3 weapon types (each covering a different range)
"Balanced" build as you may call it... "mixed" is the wrong terminology.

The way ED is setup, it is just a torture to use DPS weapons like UACs, ACs and lasers, with a few SRMs in the mix.
it is TORTURE
It always leads to penalty... 3 more heat here... 4 more there.... 2 more there...only because you do not have a dynamic timer installed in your brain to go for that perfect timing.

With ghost heat... even if you had multiple weapons of the same type, it was always 0.5 seconds... you could get used to that as a muscle memory in a few matches. You could plan your fire based on your heat bar alone. You knew you had the capacity to fire X or not. based on heat alone.

Now, it is all over the place... You see the heat bar and know you have the capacity to fire an AC20, and suddenly, ED screws you over because you fired 0.2 seconds sooner.
It is torture.

Gauss rifles needing immense amount of energy makes sense... but... Who the hell decided to put weapons like ACs, SRMs, LRMs, and Lasers into the same pool?????!!!
Universal ghost heat on builds and weapons that don't even apply damage to a single component or even in a single manner!!!

This update was some GOD TIER derping through the roof.

People asked for IS gauss to have reduced chance of explosion; PGI F*s clan gauss... just not to listen to you... just to tell you to go F* yourself.
People said that laser energy draw should not be instant reduction, but should be draw over time to match their damage profile; PGI reduces the burn to make it even hotter... while of course keeping the instant draw mechanism.

If ED in this state gets to a live client, that would be the nail in the coffin for me.
It is really ironic... three months ago in a town hall, Russ was saying that complexity is not necessarily good for the game.... an here we are with Global Ghost heat, on the edge of making it to the live client.

Looks like i have to shelf 90% of my mechs.
All I need now is 1 sniper.. and 1 splatter.

Edited by Navid A1, 23 August 2016 - 06:27 PM.

#5 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:26 PM

The fact of the matter is, I don't see an advantage to 4 LPL vs. 2LPL + other stuff. Either way, I'm firing one, twisting, firing the other, so either way I'm re-aiming between shots (unless nobody is looking at me, but who can count on that?)

#6 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:30 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 23 August 2016 - 06:26 PM, said:

The fact of the matter is, I don't see an advantage to 4 LPL vs. 2LPL + other stuff. Either way, I'm firing one, twisting, firing the other, so either way I'm re-aiming between shots (unless nobody is looking at me, but who can count on that?)

The shitstorm will be real when people try this mess in an actual 12v12 match.

I kinda get it now why PTS is 4v4. (besides getting more matches going)

#7 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:32 PM

Wish more people would play this right now!

#8 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:36 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 23 August 2016 - 06:26 PM, said:

Almost None of my mechs have less than 3 weapon groups, or less than 3 weapon types (each covering a different range)
"Balanced" build as you may call it... "mixed" is the wrong terminology.

The way ED is setup, it is just a torture to use DPS weapons like UACs, ACs and lasers, with a few SRMs in the mix.
it is TORTURE
It always leads to penalty... 3 more heat here... 4 more there.... 2 more there...only because you do not have a dynamic timer installed in your brain to go for that perfect timing.

With ghost heat... even if you had multiple weapons of the same type, it was always 0.5 seconds... you could get used to that as a muscle memory in a few matches. You could plan your fire based on your heat bar alone. You knew you had the capacity to fire X or not. based on heat alone.

Now, it is all over the place... You see the heat bar and know you have the capacity to fire an AC20, and suddenly, ED screws you over because you fired 0.2 seconds sooner.
It is torture.
If you fired just 0.2 seconds sooner, you take very little extra heat. You DON'T need precision with ED.

Look at the builds I've been running. All of them, I've had no trouble at all not breaking ED while maximizing damage.

People asked for IS gauss to have reduced chance of explosion; PGI F*s clan gauss... just not to listen to you... just to tell you to go F* yourself.
Clan gauss was FLATLY superior to IS gauss, by a huge margin.

Clan gauss is STILL FLATLY SUPERIOR to IS gauss, and I'm a filthy clanner.

Seriously, IS Gauss deserved some form of advantage.

People said that laser energy draw should not be instant reduction, but should be draw over time to match their damage profile; PGI reduces the burn to make it even hotter... while of course keeping the instant draw mechanism.
Are you saying you think lasers are weak in the PTS? Really?

If ED in this state gets to a live client, that would be the nail in the coffin for me.
It is really ironic... three months ago in a town hall, Russ was saying that complexity is not necessarily good for the game.... an here we are with Global Ghost heat, on the edge of making it to the live client.

*shrugs* It's the first time I've felt the actual combat in this game was actually a "Thinking Man's Shooter". I actually have to think in combat, not just about where I am and where I'm going, but what I'm firing, when, and why. If this gives me a huge advantage over people who can't handle that, I'm not going to cry about it.

Edited by Wintersdark, 23 August 2016 - 06:37 PM.

#9 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:38 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 23 August 2016 - 06:32 PM, said:

Wish more people would play this right now!

Had my share of frustration... no thanks.

In fact... I'm now thinking about going for a 10 day vacation some place quiet... away form all PGI herp derps.

Be sure to submit more feedback in this forgotten part of the forum.

#10 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:38 PM

I might get back on tomorrow and try again. Played 2 matches... thoroughly disgusted... went back to the live server.

#11 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:44 PM

What's the measure of efficacy though? Just because you beat up a couple people in 4v4s doesn't really mean anything, especially when they are also likely experimenting and trying with builds.

I was just an "unstoppable god" in a Highlander 732B in my last match, but that doesn't mean anything.

#12 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:45 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 23 August 2016 - 06:36 PM, said:

Clan gauss was FLATLY superior to IS gauss, by a huge margin.

Clan gauss is STILL FLATLY SUPERIOR to IS gauss, and I'm a filthy clanner.

Seriously, IS Gauss deserved some form of advantage.

What if I told you that IS gauss is still a joke... That is why people asked for buffs for it... I don't see PGI changing anything with IS gauss. So no, PGI did not buff IS gauss.

Reduced explosion chance for X is not equivalent to Increased explosion chance for Y.

*shrugs* It's the first time I've felt the actual combat in this game was actually a "Thinking Man's Shooter". I actually have to think in combat, not just about where I am and where I'm going, but what I'm firing, when, and why. If this gives me a huge advantage over people who can't handle that, I'm not going to cry about it.

You think that is why it is called a thinking man's shooter?
Convoluted mechanics actually takes away from the thinking that you should be doing in the battle.

The thinking part, is strategizing, an planning. The thinking is not about something you can easily overcome by cheesing in mechlab.

#13 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:53 PM

*shrugs* It's the first time I've felt the actual combat in this game was actually a "Thinking Man's Shooter"

I hate when people use that phrase, because it's almost always used wrong.

If MWO were REALLY a thinking man's shooter, then TTK would fall through the floor. The moment you made a mistake, you'd be dead... followed soon after by your whole team.

Games that truly rely on mental and physical acumen are very punishing of poor judgement. Moving to any system that takes away that punishment can scarcely claim to put any reliance on what sets "thinking men" apart.

Tabletop Battlemech is a thinking man's game. Of course, mechs had half as much armor and internals, so weapons were twice as powerful by comparison. A single PPC or Gauss is something to be feared. Heat scale is a fraction of MWO and punishments for carrying heat start almost immediately.

No... I actually think people want to go as far away from a thinking man's game as humanly possible. Some may say otherwise, but as soon as you start wanting to expand the already very forgiving TTK in MWO, and restrict every player in how much damage they can do down to the lowest common denominator... you've lost any right to claim this has any resemblance to what a thinking man might play.

#14 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:59 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 23 August 2016 - 06:45 PM, said:

The thinking part, is strategizing, an planning. The thinking is not about something you can easily overcome by cheesing in mechlab.

Pretty much.

View PostScarecrowES, on 23 August 2016 - 06:53 PM, said:

If MWO were REALLY a thinking man's shooter, then TTK would fall through the floor. The moment you made a mistake, you'd be dead... followed soon after by your whole team.

Games that truly rely on mental and physical acumen are very punishing of poor judgement. Moving to any system that takes away that punishment can scarcely claim to put any reliance on what sets "thinking men" apart.

You guys are making me tear up with this real-talk.

#15 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:02 PM

View PostScarecrowES, on 23 August 2016 - 06:53 PM, said:

No... I actually think people want to go as far away from a thinking man's game as humanly possible. Some may say otherwise, but as soon as you start wanting to expand the already very forgiving TTK in MWO, and restrict every player in how much damage they can do down to the lowest common denominator... you've lost any right to claim this has any resemblance to what a thinking man might play.

I'd argue that longer TTK increases the gap between skilled and unskilled players. In a short-TTK game where you can quickly kill someone, luck has a stronger roll. With longer TTK, more time, you need to get lucky more often to win via luck.

But I'm not really interested in arguing semantics; this appeals to me personally because of exactly what it does, whatever you want to call it.

#16 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:13 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 23 August 2016 - 06:45 PM, said:

But... That's exactly how you avoid Ghost Heat. I mean, exactly. THAT is precisely why I don't like Ghost Heat.

Look at my builds in Post 1 here. Do you feel they are "cheesing in the mechlab"? Really?

I overcome energy draw issues by carefully choosing what I fire and when in battle. If I win a fight because I can do that better than my opponent can; because I chose my moments, chose the right weapons at the right time? I'll call that a thinking win.

Edited by Wintersdark, 23 August 2016 - 07:13 PM.

#17 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:24 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 23 August 2016 - 07:13 PM, said:

But... That's exactly how you avoid Ghost Heat. I mean, exactly. THAT is precisely why I don't like Ghost Heat.

Look at my builds in Post 1 here. Do you feel they are "cheesing in the mechlab"? Really?

I overcome energy draw issues by carefully choosing what I fire and when in battle. If I win a fight because I can do that better than my opponent can; because I chose my moments, chose the right weapons at the right time? I'll call that a thinking win.

Yes, I also have builds that work well within energy draw with the way their weapons are setup.
My gargoyle with Gauss/lasers work well.
Most of my IS mechs work well.
Actually, every build with a single gauss works well. Gauss is not a dps weapon. And th rest are usually 2 or 3 lasers... or 4-6 Clan one which you do not alpha anyway.

but there is a whole different story when you talk about auto cannons.

The problem here is that I'm testing things... I'm not just checking my own builds to see if they are screwed or not.

Edited by Navid A1, 23 August 2016 - 07:25 PM.

#18 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:35 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 23 August 2016 - 07:24 PM, said:

Yes, I also have builds that work well within energy draw with the way their weapons are setup.
My gargoyle with Gauss/lasers work well.
Most of my IS mechs work well.
Actually, every build with a single gauss works well. Gauss is not a dps weapon. And th rest are usually 2 or 3 lasers... or 4-6 Clan one which you do not alpha anyway.

but there is a whole different story when you talk about auto cannons.

The problem here is that I'm testing things... I'm not just checking my own builds to see if they are screwed or not.

I'm testing things too. The above are not all normal builds for me. Many aren't. I'm focusing on mixed builds though, specifically because of your comments.

But, you're saying autocannons in particular are the problem? I've got them on most of my builds above, but... Ok, I guess I'll try to work more into things after my LPL spam KDK-2 (because I've not been seriously testing laser vomit)

I point again to my record of tested builds above. Do you feel I'm "cheesing" anything in the mechlab?

Being able to run a single gauss+stuff being ok... Well, I would hope that was the case? You'd still fire the gauss alone, of course... but ok. So gauss is fine now for you?

Seriously, here, I'm specifically trying to test stuff you're complaining about. Feel free to suggest stuff.

#19 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:47 PM

I tried a quad LPL KDK. Found it distinctly inferior to mixed KDK's, because the total DPS is pretty low. You have to fire pairs, firing 3+ is too much overdraw on already hot weaponry. Firing 2 and 2 is a solid loadout, but for a Kodiak? No. Mixed is much better.

#20 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:13 PM

Now:

2 days ago:

View PostWintersdark, on 21 August 2016 - 02:48 PM, said:

View PostNavid A1, on 21 August 2016 - 01:53 PM, said:

View PostWintersdark, on 21 August 2016 - 01:33 PM, said:

View PostNavid A1, on 21 August 2016 - 01:03 PM, said:

Only ONE way to salvage this system, IMO. Separating ammo based weapons and energy weapons into their own "pool" with gauss belonging to both.
Then balance by further limiting the pool sizes.

Why is it ok to do 60 damage with ballistics and energy, but only 30 with ballistics and 30 with energy? Why is it that mixed builds should get a pass, given how many mechs don't have the ballistic+energy option?

60?
See if you agree or not with this:
http://mwomercs.com/...g-mixed-builds/

No. As things stand, ED is complex enough. Adding two separate but similar systems is really complicating things. At least with pure ED you're just swapping GH for GH2.0

Its funny that it was not about a thinking man's shooter a couple days ago.
PGI yes-man confirmed?

Ironically, the system suggested to you actually simplifies ED and makes sense.

Edited by Navid A1, 23 August 2016 - 08:24 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users