56 replies to this topic

#21 Bolter01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bite
  • The Bite
  • 224 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:02 AM

Please dont tell PGI, but I had a guass rifle explode on an XL engine and ... I tanked on o7 gg

#22 Kaldrenborn

• PipPipPip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:47 PM

View PostBoshuda, on 24 August 2016 - 05:41 PM, said:

Hey I am keeping the gauss in the sleipnir and I cant get them into the upper mounts even when trying the good ol machine gun trick. Any suggestions?

Nothing you can do, unfortunately.

#23 Aethermech

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:57 PM

Label me a heretic. I love running XL's on the clops. Most of the builds are fairly face time heavy and people right now seem more focused on trying to hit the cockpit when I'm running around. I'm in love with the Q, running 7srm6, xl400, and like 9 tons of ammo. the thing is nuts. Runs at 77+kph and man you can rip armor off like it's going out of style, it's almost like a 90t medium. I'm also having a blast in my dual LBX10 4SRM4 A-DC. it's a lighter Landshark. It's needs it's own name but I'm too lazy to come up with one. Oddly enough the one I have the hardest time finding a build for is the ECM one. P2W it's not. on paper it's amazing but in the mechlab it's a ugly duck.

#24 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:16 PM

I don't know why people are gimping themselves with std engines, unless its an SRM build. These mechs are made for XL engines.

I hardly changed the sleipnir, its running 2 x gauss and 4 x MPL, performs very well most games.

#25 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 11:01 PM

Because I'm too c-bill poor to afford an XL, and because I'm insistent on fitting three autocannons into the one with three ballistic hardpoints in the right torso (AC2s are potato guns, not autocannons).
Dropped one down to a STD 315 that I had lying around from a Battlemaster, slapped 3 AC5s in there and it's working fairly well so far

#26 PaquIS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:00 AM

View PostAethermech, on 25 August 2016 - 06:57 PM, said:

Label me a heretic. I love running XL's on the clops. Most of the builds are fairly face time heavy and people right now seem more focused on trying to hit the cockpit when I'm running around. I'm in love with the Q, running 7srm6, xl400, and like 9 tons of ammo. the thing is nuts. Runs at 77+kph and man you can rip armor off like it's going out of style, it's almost like a 90t medium. I'm also having a blast in my dual LBX10 4SRM4 A-DC. it's a lighter Landshark. It's needs it's own name but I'm too lazy to come up with one. Oddly enough the one I have the hardest time finding a build for is the ECM one. P2W it's not. on paper it's amazing but in the mechlab it's a ugly duck.

I agree. Cyclops may not be the most XL friendly mech out there but without the XL you are either super slow or dont have all that much firepower. Arms are rather skinny, but they actually do decent job at defending the sides. Its the CT that sticks out.

I would highly recommend taking the artemis on your Q build as I posted on the first post. You only need to switch one SRM6 to SRM4. So only a minimal damage drop but in exchange you will get 66% reduction on missile spread. SRM6 without artemis spreads like crazy and while you might be getting good damage numbers, the damage will be going all over the place which isn't obviously never a good thing.

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 25 August 2016 - 11:01 PM, said:

Because I'm too c-bill poor to afford an XL, and because I'm insistent on fitting three autocannons into the one with three ballistic hardpoints in the right torso (AC2s are potato guns, not autocannons).
Dropped one down to a STD 315 that I had lying around from a Battlemaster, slapped 3 AC5s in there and it's working fairly well so far

Yeah three unquirked AC2's are too weak, but if you go with the three AC5's you might just as well buy the Marauder. Same firepower (or more), almost the same amount of armor (3R variant) and its much faster.

But if you take XL350 on the A variant, put in 2xAC5, AC2, 3xSRM6 and three medium lasers you will get a very solid mech on almost all ranges. You can do some poking and decent long range damage with the ballistics while still be very strong in short range fights with the 67 point alpha damage. In fact as much as I like the Q variant the A has actually become my favourite with that build. I can quite consistently do 400-500 damage on it even when our team gets stomped which to me tells that it works very well.

#27 Aethermech

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 04:01 AM

View PostPaquIS, on 26 August 2016 - 02:00 AM, said:

I agree. Cyclops may not be the most XL friendly mech out there but without the XL you are either super slow or dont have all that much firepower. Arms are rather skinny, but they actually do decent job at defending the sides. Its the CT that sticks out.

I would highly recommend taking the artemis on your Q build as I posted on the first post. You only need to switch one SRM6 to SRM4. So only a minimal damage drop but in exchange you will get 66% reduction on missile spread. SRM6 without artemis spreads like crazy and while you might be getting good damage numbers, the damage will be going all over the place which isn't obviously never a good thing.

Yeah three unquirked AC2's are too weak, but if you go with the three AC5's you might just as well buy the Marauder. Same firepower (or more), almost the same amount of armor (3R variant) and its much faster.

But if you take XL350 on the A variant, put in 2xAC5, AC2, 3xSRM6 and three medium lasers you will get a very solid mech on almost all ranges. You can do some poking and decent long range damage with the ballistics while still be very strong in short range fights with the 67 point alpha damage. In fact as much as I like the Q variant the A has actually become my favourite with that build. I can quite consistently do 400-500 damage on it even when our team gets stomped which to me tells that it works very well.

i understand where you're coming from with taking Asrm's, i tried that build fkirst and found i couldn't run enough ammo or a big enough engine to run it the way i wanted, as i'm using it right now the Q is a over sized heavy flanker, the trick is to burst onto the side of an enemy swing behind and blast the srms, if they react bail out and if they ignore finish them off with chainfire.

As for the 11A? the 3ballistic one, take 2 ac2's and a uac5 in the top slot. it's hysterical.

here is my Q loadout http://mwo.smurfy-ne...579a9fe0372e82e

and my 11A loadout http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d4b31825f187570

the build i'm most surprized with is this one for the A-DC http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c21f34d831ee4c2

Edited by Aethermech, 26 August 2016 - 04:15 AM.

#28 tatersaladftw

• PipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 04:28 AM

View PostDustyHardtail, on 24 August 2016 - 04:02 PM, said:

I have been using this, I love it.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b5f91053ea2c7fb
Ignore my armor dist. here.

I like this. Especially if you swap the PPC for Large pulse for more brawl.

#29 PaquIS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:27 AM

View PostAethermech, on 26 August 2016 - 04:01 AM, said:

i understand where you're coming from with taking Asrm's, i tried that build fkirst and found i couldn't run enough ammo or a big enough engine to run it the way i wanted, as i'm using it right now the Q is a over sized heavy flanker, the trick is to burst onto the side of an enemy swing behind and blast the srms, if they react bail out and if they ignore finish them off with chainfire.

As for the 11A? the 3ballistic one, take 2 ac2's and a uac5 in the top slot. it's hysterical.

here is my Q loadout http://mwo.smurfy-ne...579a9fe0372e82e

and my 11A loadout http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d4b31825f187570

the build i'm most surprized with is this one for the A-DC http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c21f34d831ee4c2

The difference between your Q and mine is 2 tons of ammo, 7 tons vs 9 tons. Thats not a whole lot to trade for 66% worse missile spread. Also the C.A.S.E on your side torsos are complete waste. If the ammo happens to explode the ST will blow up as well and you are dead. Doesn't matter if you have the CASE or not.

I might try your A loadout. Just bit worried it doesn't quite have enough punch on the ballistics especially after the UAC desides to jam.

#30 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 27 August 2016 - 12:50 AM

Lots of great ideas here, thanks all. After an evening of struggling with dog-slow STD300 builds it's time to break out the bigger engines.

#31 Guitar Czar

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 48 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:22 AM

A buddy of mine came up with this DC build that I started running, I think it's gonna be my go to mixed build, tearing it up out there

CP-11-A-DC

Just protect that right side until you use up that ammo (shouldn't be too long) or distribute armor/ammo however you want

#32 StUffz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 485 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:43 AM

I run the DC with AC20 + 4SRM6. Same as the Atlas 7SD or Kodiak Spirit bear.

#33 Bespoke Cheese Cake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 225 posts
  • LocationThem Interwebs, often in K-Town

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:11 PM

View PostFade Akira, on 25 August 2016 - 08:16 PM, said:

I don't know why people are gimping themselves with std engines, unless its an SRM build. These mechs are made for XL engines.

I hardly changed the sleipnir, its running 2 x gauss and 4 x MPL, performs very well most games.

You run Gauss in the torsos of a 90ton mech with XL?... Good to know :P

#34 Natural Born Corpse

• Pip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:47 PM

Had a moment of madness, got bored, had a play around, and came up with this ridiculous build for the 11-A version

I give you the :-

CP-11-A - WTF you thinking

a touch on the slow side, i will admit, but the shear joy of build is worth the reduction in speed.

I had a real problem coming up with a good build that would work with the 11-A
loading 3 AC's either had limited ammo. or was to limited on firepower, and there is not enough hard points to allow you to skip the AC's and just use other weapons. For me this is a happy middle ground that i can use well at my tier level, at higher tiers, well YMWV.

#35 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:45 PM

View PostBespoke Cheese Cake, on 29 August 2016 - 02:11 PM, said:

You run Gauss in the torsos of a 90ton mech with XL?... Good to know Posted Image

Yeah and im on the leaderboards using that build, and with a 1.58 KDR on that chassis, but you keep your narrow mindset. Keep restricting yourself using those standard builds though, and having less firepower while moving at a snail's pace.

Also, with an XL you are faster and turn better, which in itself mitigates pinpoint damage, and the cyclops is useful with an XL in that you only have to do a half torso turn to shield a side torso, due to the pointy part in the centre of the chest that juts out. So you can spread damage over CT and both ST's as required. The arms are fairly useless for shielding. On top of that it has extra structure in all 3 and a crit chance reduction.

My Gauss has been destroyed more often than not without killing me, sometimes both gauss destroyed and still not dying. Then again a few times it has killed me. /shrug risk vs reward. However its not the doom and gloom people make out, probably because people that naysay it haven't actually bothered trying it.

Each to their own mate, but cyclops are pretty XL friendly from my experience and the dual gauss is badass as its really easy to place your damage.

Maybe this is some more good stuff for you to know. Enjoy! Posted Image

Edited by Fade Akira, 29 August 2016 - 05:52 PM.

#36 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:57 PM

View PostKali Rinpoche, on 24 August 2016 - 06:18 PM, said:

I will say that I really like the CP so far. It tanks like an Atlas with better hitboxes.

Really? (Puts on c-bill buy list)

#37 ExplicitContent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSolaris Arena

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:44 PM

Having the most fun running this Q build: 400XL, ASRM4x7, 3 ML

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1b7577fd3d6395f

I have been running this with great success. As long as you aren't the center of attention you can do some work.

I tried various standard engine builds and find them to be wanting.

#38 Spartan 04

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 53 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:22 PM

I've been really enjoying/successful with a CP-S with a STD300 engine, 4 UAC5's, one medium brain-laser, and a boatload of ammo. No armor on the arms. Don't get shivved by a light swarm.

I'm sure there's a bunch of tactical problems with it, but it is fun, effective (if supported), and brings in 800+ damage and 3+ KMDD consistently. It's a great feeling to have Dire Wolves and Kodiaks take a few steps back.

#39 PaquIS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:21 AM

I figured I could do a little update on the basic variant builds now that I have plenty of experience on each and have them all mastered. Oddly enough as much as I still like the Q variant with a splat build the A has actually become my favourite.

CP-11-A
Here is the A variant build I like so very much:
https://dl.dropboxus...clops_Dakka.jpg
2xAC5, AC2, 3xSRM6, 3xML, XL350
Usually I dont really like builds which are trying to do all ranges, but I feel with the A variant I can actually do just that and be quite good on both close and longish range. For the longish range (~500m or so) and peekaboo pokeplay the high torso mounted ballistics work quite well on their own and when it comes to close range brawl thats where the SRM's steps in. If you are in a brawl with someone fire the SRM's and ballistics once, twist away, fire again, twist, etc. Runs fairly cool that way and you can actually dish out good damage while having minimum facetime.

And if enemy is fighting someone else at brawling range... well its even better as you can keep firing the ballistics non stop while also using the SRM's ofc. Very nice DPS. Lasers are there to use when on low heat or when you know you will only get one or two shots into the enemy. Or when enemy is just outside of the SRM's effective range.

I do 400-500 damage very consistenly on this mech even when we get stomped which really tells me it actually works.

CP-10-Q
On the Q variant I have done very little changes from the build I posted on the first post. I guess more "optimal" build would be to knock down the engine to XL395 if you want to keep the 6xSRM6A+SRM4A combo and adding more heatsinks. Your heat management will go from 1.31 --> 1.38 in exchange of losing just a little bit of agility. But I ended up taking away the SRM4, adding 1,5 tons of ammo, one heatsink and bit more armor since I have had handfull of matches where I have ran out of ammo just on the critical moment.

CP-10-Z
With this one Iam still struggling to find a build I might actually like. Here is a build Iam somewhat happy with, but I still much rather run either of the other two variants:
https://dl.dropboxus...Cyclops_STD.jpg
6xML, 2xSRM4, AC20, STD340
Yeah its quite hot, but the idea is again kinda the same as with the A variant. Use only the AC20 and SRM's at close range fight after firing the lasers once. If you have a build with the AC20+6xML only it still gets very hot fast and you are forced to pretty much use the AC20 alone and maybe firing only couple lasers at tops. So having those SRM's to go along with the AC20 keeps it bit cooler while still having more punch.

Funny thing is that with this build I have actually had the best success on the Z variant dispite its bad low mounted arms:
https://dl.dropboxus...ops_Z_large.jpg
5xLarge Lasers, Large Pulse Laser, XL380
Yes I know Banshee or Battlemaster are way better on these type of builds, but try it if you cant get anything else to really work on this variant.

Another thing is with the Z variant and STD engine is I dont really feel any more tankier than with the XL engines on others. Sure I often die to side torso explosion, but still most of the time I also have my CT open and the other side torso in bad shape as well at that point. So if I have STD engine and lose one side Iam already beaten up enough to not being be able to take much more hits anyways. Add that to the fact that with the STD engine I will have less agility or firepower (or both) which really doesn't make it worth the trade in my opinion.

#40 Adam Mieter

• Pip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:01 PM

Hello fellow MechWarriors!

This is my first post here (sorry about the almost-necro) as I am a new player around here. I have recently became a Cyclops owner, and I have picked the A variant as my focus. What was surprising to me is that all variants have "meh" stock firepower, have half their module slots open, and two of the three basic variants have worse armor than what I'm running on my Shadow Hawk. But they're all 90 tons with no spare weight.

I figured I put in an XL engine, but a quick Google search first revealed that putting XL engines in Assault mechs is a generally bad idea. However, this very topic here has mostly XL engine builds... so I'm confused.

I could downgrade the engine and be super slow, but somewhat more powerful... or put in an XL engine, fill all my weapon slots and max out the armor, plus have some goodies like the AMS and Beagle Probe. It just sounds like a better deal, even with the increased chance of being taken out of the game. Can I get some pro insight on this, please?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users