Cyclops Builds

56 replies to this topic

#41 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:55 AM

Fast assaults with XLs aren't as much a risk as slow assaults with XLs.

The assaults you should NEVER put XLs on are the ones that go ~60 kph maxed engine and/or have big side torsi.

For instance, Stalker - 63 kph and big side torsos
Atlas - same issue

You will notice these are both very old assaults in this game.

Banshees and Battlemasters, for instance, do XLs well (the energy variants atleast) thanks to great shield arms and high hardpoints (and CT heavy hitboxes, but balanced STs). Cyclopes aren't very XL friendly, but they are far better with an XL than an atlas or a stalker.

All this applies to IS mechs, of course. Clanners can get away with a XL without issues.

#42 Adam Mieter

• Pip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for the answer!

It just looks way too advantageous to mount an XL engine in the Cyclops compared to decreasing the STD engine by 4-5 sizes and trot around 40 km/h. Isn't the fact that I can heavily up-armor all three torsos enough to somewhat offset the increased chance of a disabled engine?

EDIT: I caved and put in the XL engines last night. After some tuning, this is the loadout I came up with (yes, it is very mixed, I really like having different kinds of weapons on a single 'Mech):

Chassis: CP-11-A (B:3, E:3, M:3)
Engine: XL 360 w/ Double Heatsinks
Armament: 2x Medium Laser, 1x ER PPC, 2x LRM 10, 1x SRM 6, 1x LB 10-X AC, 2x Machine Gun
Ammunition: LRM 10: 540 missiles, SRM 6:100 missiles, LB 10: 40 shells, Machine Gun: 1000 rounds
Armor: Ferro-Fibrous, 482 pts.
Misc.: Command Console

I played a handful of matches with it last night (around 7-8 games). In the ones where I died, the STs were never taken out, my CT was always the first to give in. Very tiny sample size, but I consider it a good start. Of course, now that I wrote about it, I will have my STs explode every single game for a week.

Edited by Adam Mieter, 19 October 2016 - 08:02 PM.

#43 Tetsujin

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:29 PM

I run several Cyclops variants. I'm still low tier, but i have mixed builds. 360 xl and 300 stds. The two i run most are the 300s with classic Atlas armament ac20, lrm 20 art. 4 mpls or 6 m lasers. The other with the 360 std is a brawler. ER ppc , 4x srm 4, srm 6 2 mlasers. Had good results with both..... When I pay attention.

#44 Jalik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 199 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:17 PM

View PostPaquIS, on 02 September 2016 - 08:21 AM, said:

CP-11-A
Here is the A variant build I like so very much:
https://dl.dropboxus...clops_Dakka.jpg
2xAC5, AC2, 3xSRM6, 3xML, XL350
Usually I dont really like builds which are trying to do all ranges, but I feel with the A variant I can actually do just that and be quite good on both close and longish range. For the longish range (~500m or so) and peekaboo pokeplay the high torso mounted ballistics work quite well on their own and when it comes to close range brawl thats where the SRM's steps in. If you are in a brawl with someone fire the SRM's and ballistics once, twist away, fire again, twist, etc. Runs fairly cool that way and you can actually dish out good damage while having minimum facetime.

I tried this build. impressive result!

#45 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:40 PM

How I stroll: CP-11-P

Posted Image

Edited by VonBruinwald, 13 May 2017 - 12:41 PM.

#46 ColorOfMagic

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 11:19 PM

I bought myself the cyclops 11-P after that I was thinking of an good build.
CP-11-P came to my mind but I didn't have much experience building an assault with not just lasers. Anyone could give me feedback on this please or recommend an different build

Edited by ColorOfMagic, 14 May 2017 - 11:20 PM.

#47 pzUH

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:35 PM

The new skill tree make my P variant great again. XD
Slap them with xl395, 4 mpls, 1 lbx, 4 & 6 srm. Maxed the radar derp & mobility tree. Ignore the armor tree completely.
Pretty good for peekaboo. But always make sure to keep close from your group.

The Q variant always great. Just after the new skill tree, I can't get the speed tweak. Not a big deal.
Going slow with std300, suppress & soften the enemies with 1x 5 lrm & 2x 10 lrm, and then finish them at close range with 4x 6 srm and 3x med laser.

Now my A variant which's kinda problematic. Seems that I can get the right firepower to compensate it slowness even with std 300.
Update: Doing some mechlab works, I've got the right build for the A one. Pretty much the same with Q variant but using AC20 + AC 2 + 2x 6 srm + 1x 4 srm. I only need to figure out how to closing in without being an easy & slow target. Posted Image

Edited by pzUH, 18 May 2017 - 08:39 PM.

#48 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:00 PM

I run my CP-11-P w/maxed sensor range, BAP and CC - being able to spot enemies across the map is nice.

I'm not sure on the Weapons yet, 2x LBX-10, 4xML and 2x SRM-2 is all I can fit with maxed armor and a STD-305 reactor.
It's also a bit slow for my taste.

#49 Ausajax

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:39 AM

The best success I've had is with a twin LBX-10AC and four SRM4 setup on my A-DC. Also have some fun with a 4 Large Laser CP-11-P with ECM.

Interesting to hear people going to the XL builds. Might give a few a try out.

#50 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:16 AM

10-Q
7 Streaks. 2 LRM-15s. Some lasers. Decent engine, nothing special.
Light mech pwnage galore.

#51 Rackminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 387 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:24 AM

I bought the complete package for this (loved the model since back in MechWarrior 2) I'm struggling to figure out good builds for some Cyclops variants.

My Sleipnir runs with quad Ultra AC5's and a single MPL and seems to do well. My average K/D ratio right now is 1.41 - not bad for me. I've had some rounds where I run 800+ damage, and a couple with 1000+ damage. It performs well in mid to close brawling. It originated out of frustration with the low arm weapon hardpoints and is designed to take advantage of the higher torso ones only.

My Model Q makes a solid LRM support platform with 70 missile tubes and 1728 missiles, ranging anywhere from 300 to 850 damage per round based on terrain and hostile AMS. I had tried the SRM6's, but found myself taking too much of a beating to get in short range. The current XL engine gives me the speed to stay with the group and provide close support instead of becoming fodder for scouts who would pick me off if I lagged behind. I don't get many kills, but I like to think I always add some flavor to each match. It takes a long sustained LRM barrage to overheat me.

My Model P needs an overhaul. It's got good speed, but overheats quickly in close combat. I have each arm set up to fire with LMB/RMB so I can shoot around corners easier. ECM and AMS pretty much removes LRM's as a concern. What it really lacks is "Oomph" in a fight. It can't shoot over hills, and is only barely middling in a brawl. I think I need to go back to the drawing board.

I've got two variants I haven't even changed the paint on since I'm not sure what to do with them. The Champion model is a customized, but I hardly use it - so I'm not sure what build I have there. Probably something with an LBX10.

#52 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:26 PM

3t of ams ammo seems a little overboard. Try double LB-10 and some srms for brawling punch?

#53 H i e u

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:59 AM

my cyclops seems to have mobility nerf after skill tree release. damm

#54 Ausajax

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:04 AM

MRMs seem to work really well in the Cyclops. I'm trying a couple of builds which are a lot of fun!

MRM only CP-10-Q:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9a6a65738d66a04

RAC5 and MRM CP-11-A:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e365a03c8cdc0a5

#55 sgtarkeus

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:15 AM

How are the RAC5s and MRMs? aweMech on my phone shows a negative heat management percentage. I've been running two LBX10ACs, three SRM4s and two MLs on my CP-11-A with a STD 340. I'm thinking of pulling the MLs and swapping the SRM4s over to MRM10s.

#56 Ausajax

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:12 AM

RAC5s and MRMs seem to pair well together. Getting the heat right takes a bit of trial and error in the testing grounds as the RAC heat calcs don't translate into gameplay quite the same as other weapons.

MRMs are a big help in assaults to offset the slow speed so definitely worth the switch. Check the spread of 3xMRM10s vs 1xMRM30 too. The extra ton in the launcher may be worth your while if the spread improves. The bigger launchers have very similar cool down to the smaller ones so DPS will be similar.

#57 PaquIS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:38 AM

View PostAusajax, on 22 July 2017 - 12:04 AM, said:

MRMs seem to work really well in the Cyclops. I'm trying a couple of builds which are a lot of fun!

MRM only CP-10-Q:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9a6a65738d66a04

You have plenty of missile hardpoints so I think its better to use smaller MRM launchers. Also that engine makes it really slow.

Here is my versions of it:
XL: https://www.dropbox....ops_XL.jpg?dl=0
LFE: https://www.dropbox....ps_LFE.jpg?dl=0

Compared to your build it will save one ton of weight, have same firepower, better spread and less facetime since the smaller tubes fires the missiles faster than the big ones. Also you are less likely to lose as much firepower from critical hits.

Dowside: its going to run bit hotter.

Tho its fun to use the MRM's I still think these on the Q are far inferior compared to the SRM build.

Edited by PaquIS, 28 July 2017 - 03:39 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users