40 replies to this topic

#21 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:57 AM

View PostGuardDogg, on 26 August 2016 - 08:09 PM, said:

I agree, although if you remove a CPU, and a pin stays, or is broken.

Huh? The pins are part of the board and the CPU has a flat grid on the bottom. The pins don't stick in anything, so I'm not sure what you mean by if a pin 'stays'. The pins all stay where they are all the time. The mounting force from heatsinks is also not a problem. These things are well-designed and very mature now. Even back when LGA was first used en masse by Intel for the original Core chips these types of happenings were excessively rare.

#22 GuardDogg

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:56 PM

So, you never had a pin break on you on a CPU when taking out of socket? That is a problem when removing the CPU cooler, that is when things start to happen. Now with these new sockets, specially Intel, I have seen people bring in boards with pins bent on board (mostly intel). Choice to get new board or replace socket. If you haven't experienced any of this. You must be new to this. Been a this for 35 years.

Edited by GuardDogg, 27 August 2016 - 05:04 PM.

#23 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:21 PM

View PostGuardDogg, on 27 August 2016 - 04:56 PM, said:

So, you never had a pin break on you on a CPU when taking out of socket? That is a problem when removing the CPU cooler, that is when things start to happen. Now with these new sockets, specially Intel, I have seen people bring in boards with pins bent on board (mostly intel). Choice to get new board or replace socket. If you haven't experienced any of this. You must be new to this. Been a this for 35 years.

I'm definitely not new to building and repairing PCs. Pins, when attached to the CPU, have been a thorn in my side once or twice. Pins in an LGA socket, though? No. Never had a problem. Like I've already said, you have to be doing something very wrong for that to happen. Maybe using far too much force when installing a backplate or something, but again, that's doing something wrong. That's not a typical "I'm a competent PC builder" scenario.

#24 GuardDogg

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:03 PM

Tell my customers that.

#25 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:05 PM

View PostGuardDogg, on 25 August 2016 - 12:28 PM, said:

I am surprised no one knows what system, and graphics card is needed to use video settings on "Very High", and able to get perfect gameplay. No one knows.

… I don't know what can play at 2560x1440x60Hz: I can tell you an i7-990X @ 4.26GHz, with a GTX 980Ti Hybrid, can play TXAA 2x on a 1800x1440x70hz pretty well, but TXAA 4x would be only getting ~low 50s …

#26 Mr Beefy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:11 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 26 August 2016 - 10:51 AM, said:

Everybody in this subforum already knows and all of the information is definitely here. You simply haven't bothered to read.

Having said that, a Haswell architecture CPU at 4.5GhZ is about where the bottleneck for CPU-related items starts to disappear. At least, for 1080p, anyway. We're not really sure if that's true at higher resolutions due to lack of test data. If you go with Skylake (or the impending Kaby Lake, due in roughly December) then you can probably count on 4.4GhZ being that mark instead.

GPU-wise, anything GTX 970 or beyond should max out MWO. Well, pub matches at 1080p, anyway, and likely all FW matches as well. FW really starts to eat up the VRAM, though, so at resolutions beyond 1080p I think you will end up needing a 6GB or 8GB framebuffer instead of the 4GB that cards like the GTX 980 offer.

Hello Wired... been awhile. As you know, I am running my I74790K at 4.7 ghz and a Amd XFX 7970 3gb card still... and on a 32" benQ 1440P monitor. My settings are and have always been high-very high, and I posted many fraps benches in the past. I am seeing FPS 60 and above most of the time, and i push into the low 90's.

#27 Crazy H

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:43 AM

How can I test to see if my GPU is the bottle neck, or if it is the CPU? It could also be system memory speed too right?

I'm not going to just blindly throw money at my system and hope for the best. I want to know how to test so that I can get a definite answer telling me what the bottle neck is and how significant it is.

I'm purposely not listing my hardware because all I want to know is how to perform these tests to figure out what the problem is.

#28 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:17 AM

View PostCrazy H, on 18 January 2017 - 02:43 AM, said:

How can I test to see if my GPU is the bottle neck, or if it is the CPU? It could also be system memory speed too right?

I'm not going to just blindly throw money at my system and hope for the best. I want to know how to test so that I can get a definite answer telling me what the bottle neck is and how significant it is.

I'm purposely not listing my hardware because all I want to know is how to perform these tests to figure out what the problem is.

download something like MSI afterburner or another similar programs, and then monitor your CPU % and GPU % use while playing.

#29 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:40 AM

Easy: When fps stay the same as you lower resolution (i.e. from 1080p to 720p, just keep same aspect ratio) and/or antialiasing settings, you are bound by CPU. If you gain fps through this, you are bound by your GPU. The amount of fps you gain indicates how badly you're bound by either one.

#30 VorpalAnvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 724 posts
  • LocationThe Cantillon Brewery

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:36 AM

Playable MWO

Max graphics settings

Pick one

#31 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:26 AM

My inclination here is to say that if you couldn't have Googled that yourself then you probably won't understand the results.

It's easy to tell if you're CPU or GPU-bound in MWO, though. If you have any AMD processor (since Ryzen is not out commercially yet) then you're CPU bound unless it's an 8350/8370 above 5GhZ. If you have an Intel CPU, the line is roughly at 4.5GhZ for Haswell (so 4.4GhZ for Skylake, 4.6GhZ for Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge).

Basically, MWO devours CPU cycles due to the draw calls created by the particles, shadows, and environment settings, and it does so in a very unreasonable way. If you're not running an absolutely top-end CPU, you're CPU-bound. Thing is, it isn't necessarily the kind of thing I'd worry about unless MWO is literally the only game you play. If it's not, then a GPU is generally worth the upgrade money, whereas upgrading a CPU will only benefit MWO and a handful of other games.

#32 skb

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:02 PM

My rig" are MacBookPro"(Retina) with i7-4980HQ @2.8 with 16 gigz of ram and 750mobile and it's pain in my rear part with 720p lowest at all setings 30-50 fps as max.
6 month ago used same laptop with external tundebolt GPU - 980TI EVGA Hybrid. Were able to play it at 4k external monitor with med/high settings and reasonoble G-sync FPS but not Ultra stuff.

#33 YakkSlapper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 175 posts
  • Locationoregon city

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:59 PM

https://www.asus.com...460-O4G-GAMING/ is my gfx card, MAX settings in game, (drool like an idiot eye-candy)
http://www.legitrevi...sor-review_2055 is my cpu and 16 gigs ram
https://us.msi.com/M...l#hero-overview MOBO.

start to finish "Game experience" at max settings on 50+ inch flat screen leaves nothing to be desired

#34 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:52 AM

View PostYakkSlapper, on 24 January 2017 - 07:59 PM, said:

https://www.asus.com...460-O4G-GAMING/ is my gfx card, MAX settings in game, (drool like an idiot eye-candy)
http://www.legitrevi...sor-review_2055 is my cpu and 16 gigs ram
https://us.msi.com/M...l#hero-overview MOBO.

start to finish "Game experience" at max settings on 50+ inch flat screen leaves nothing to be desired

Nice "alternative facts" you've got there, but we already know differently. If it's okay for you, awesome. Most of us, though, easily detect when frame rates drop hard (which, on max settings, the draw calls from particles and shadows crush that FX chip until it is very heavily overclocked).

#35 CagenXL

• PipPipPip
  • The Star
  • The Star
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:49 AM

Our old PC setup was a x3 titan setup. But we changed since, was a bit overkill.

#36 Quinn Allard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:02 PM

i7 7700K with NZXT X41 Kraken
ASUS GTX 1070 OC
MSI M5 Gaming Mobo
16GB 3200Mhz Ram

1080P, all settings on Very High and MSAA, I get on the low end 70FPS to an Average around 100FPS and on the high end 120-130FPS.

#37 5hredder

• Pip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:34 PM

i have a gtx 980, which is similar to the 970. in fact, it is only slightly better, yet i run this game at max with absolutely no issues. why? because i have 16gb of ram, and a 6700k i7.

#38 Quinn Allard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:10 PM

View PostVorpalAnvil, on 18 January 2017 - 05:36 AM, said:

Playable MWO

Max graphics settings

Pick one

False. Build a better system.

#39 JaegerDjinn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 156 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA,USA

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:11 PM

Ok guys i have come too decide on two cards too upgrade too. What I need is which is the better of them. The first is the MSI GTX 1080 Gaming x 8gb https://www.newegg.c...Xg&gclsrc=aw.ds which has the highest clocking speeds of the two. The second is the MSI GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11 gb, https://www.newegg.c...N82E16814137113 I dont care about the price, I just want too know which is better the faster clocking speeds or the 11gb memory and 352 GDDR5X.

Edited by jjyn, 11 April 2017 - 03:16 PM.

#40 ZnSeventeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:39 PM

View Postjjyn, on 11 April 2017 - 03:11 PM, said:

Ok guys i have come too decide on two cards too upgrade too. What I need is which is the better of them. The first is the MSI GTX 1080 Gaming x 8gb https://www.newegg.c...Xg&gclsrc=aw.ds which has the highest clocking speeds of the two. The second is the MSI GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11 gb, https://www.newegg.c...N82E16814137113 I dont care about the price, I just want too know which is better the faster clocking speeds or the 11gb memory and 352 GDDR5X.

Clock and RAM are not the only factors. Note the number of cores. Even with a higher overclock, the 1080 to will far outstrip the compute the normal 1080. If money is not an issue, the ti is the hands down winner.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users