#41 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:30 AM

View PostMorggo, on 26 August 2016 - 05:11 AM, said:

For those that got the 'clops KMDD and reward... are you showing it as completed on your tournament goals?

I was 90% certain I got the KMDD on a clops last night, waited a while and got the chess knight item injected... but this morning still shows 0 of 1 in my goals. Wondering if it's just a display bug with the new goal....

I don't remember killing any Cyclops, but it's showing as 'completed' on my scoreboard and I haven't yet received the hanging item.

So yeah maybe the scoreboard is bugged.

EDIT: Chess item just showed up in my inventory.

Edited by Appogee, 26 August 2016 - 06:50 AM.

#42 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:35 AM

Actually, I think it would be a great idea to try and develop this concept futher. For instance, run a weight-class based leaderboard event with nice prizes, and at the same time run a personal challenge targeted at that specific weight class, such as "Get X KMDD's on heavy mechs", "Do Y damage to heavy mechs" etc. That would create a nice competitive environment, with one half of the players fighting for the leaderboard, and the other half hunting them. Just a suggestion :)

#43 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:44 AM

View PostDGTLDaemon, on 26 August 2016 - 06:35 AM, said:

Actually, I think it would be a great idea to try and develop this concept futher. For instance, run a weight-class based leaderboard event with nice prizes, and at the same time run a personal challenge targeted at that specific weight class, such as "Get X KMDD's on heavy mechs", "Do Y damage to heavy mechs" etc. That would create a nice competitive environment, with one half of the players fighting for the leaderboard, and the other half hunting them. Just a suggestion Posted Image

Whiners would complain about being "unfairly targeted"

#44 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:48 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 26 August 2016 - 06:44 AM, said:

Well, leaderboards are not for whiners by definition, you only get prizes if you get into the top 75, and you have to work your a$$ off to do it. And if the prizes are nice enough, people will have good incentive to play both sides.

#45 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:53 AM

View PostDGTLDaemon, on 26 August 2016 - 06:48 AM, said:

you have to work your a$$ off set up a new alt account and farm Tier 5 to do it.

Or so the allegation goes.

#46 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:02 AM

View PostAppogee, on 26 August 2016 - 06:53 AM, said:

Or so the allegation goes.

Can't comment on that. The only time I participated in a leaderboard (ranked #51 for the Shadowcat), I was so burned out that I couldn't even look at MWO for a few days after... And if people are playing alt accounts at Tier 5, they shouldn't be whining about being "unfairly targeted" Posted Image

BTW, what's "unfair targeting" in a game where the primary objective is to kill enemy mechs? Targeting an enemy mech with such a strong desire to kill it that you would strangle it with your bare hands if you could? ;)

Edited by DGTLDaemon, 26 August 2016 - 07:09 AM.

#47 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:06 AM

View PostDGTLDaemon, on 26 August 2016 - 07:02 AM, said:

And if people are playing alt accounts at Tier 5, they shouldn't be whining about being "unfairly targeted" Posted Image

I dunno. That's what Bishop said. It would also explain why there are so many names at the top of the leaderboard that I've never seen before.

Personally, I opted out of Leaderboards. I once earned a top 25 result, but doing it was so frustrating that I decided it wasn't worth repeating, ever.

#48 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:39 AM

View PostAppogee, on 26 August 2016 - 07:06 AM, said:

I dunno. That's what Bishop said. It would also explain why there are so many names at the top of the leaderboard that I've never seen before.

Personally, I opted out of Leaderboards. I once earned a top 25 result, but doing it was so frustrating that I decided it wasn't worth repeating, ever.

Once i created an account to save my old unit name and tag. Over the last leaderboard challenges i started to think exactly the same as you:
So many factionless and unknown players in almost all top 10 lists. Why?

So i had that idea with 2nd accounts and made an experiment. Last challenge with light-chassis. After tutorial and some cadet boni i had about 20 millions c-bills, bought the wolfhound and played tier 5 for 3 matches and got into tier 4.

In summary i did about 15 matches with this wolfhound, already had over 2500 points and was postion 1 for a while. Then i stopped because i didnt want to make big influence with that account on the challenge.

If i wanted to, i easily could get about 3500 - 4000 points.
My very first match with wolfhound was about 6 kills and 800 damage without modules or basic skills. Top 10 was funny, about 5 cheetahs, 4 locusts and me, the one and only wolfhound :D

But i dont kow why people should do that. There could be several reasons:
Perhaps people like it when they see themself on #1 or they just want to feel like a pro when they slaughter beginners or like to troll them. Personally i play for fun with teammates and immersion in the Battletek-universe, so 2nd account playing for leaderboards is no option for me

#49 knight-of-ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:56 AM

Shhhhh.... be very quiet. We're hunting Cyclops-es.

#50 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:00 AM

It took 6 matches in my CP-11-A(S) to achieve all the personal challenge goals, and YES the chess piece delivery gets delayed for some odd reason.

#51 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:02 AM

The latest excuse I heard for "top-tier" players to use Alt accounts in leaderboard events is because they did not want to be unfairly targeted. This particular player used a new account to farm the Kodiak chassis in the recent Assault Mech event, and said it woukd have been impossible to place in the event since everybody knew his name and would have sabbotaged his chances at "winning."

So, the answer is Ego.

#52 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:17 AM

View PostAppogee, on 26 August 2016 - 06:30 AM, said:

I don't remember killing any Cyclops, but it's showing as 'completed' on my scoreboard and I haven't yet received the hanging item.

So yeah maybe the scoreboard is bugged.

EDIT: Chess item just showed up in my inventory.

Hmmmm... well I got the Chess item in inv. and saw it in the injections last night. Still not showing on the tourney as complete.. SOOO, only one thing left to do tonight....you know, just to be tidy... Posted ImagePosted Image

#53 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:21 AM

View PostBishop Six, on 26 August 2016 - 07:39 AM, said:

But i dont kow why people should do that. There could be several reasons:

Actually: One. Money. Sell accounts for real money that have MC already injected in it. With two or three tourney in the Top5, you have about 5000 MC.

It's actually quite sad that PGI does not do a thing about it - same with group queue farming. Makes these leaderboards pretty pointless and uninteresting. Whenever those events are on, I rush through the personal challenge until I collected the MC and the leave until the event is over and comparatively reasonable gameplay ensues.

Edited by PFC Carsten, 26 August 2016 - 08:23 AM.

#54 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:38 AM

Initial (yet damn late) Review, 2016 August "Cyclops Leaderboard Event" ---

PGI, it looks to me like you've come back up out of the ditch where you were on the last event. Proper time is provided, and Rewards that can be properly achieved within those bounds. This Event receives a Perfect Review Rating from me, and a smile extra to boot. I like the extra touch that you included as well, what with your choice of providing an exact target on one of the eight Personal Challenges. Looks like I need to go bother those Cyclops pilots now, seeing as they look like another Mech or two from behind. Here I come! B)

~Mr. D. V. "ALERT: HAPPY, WITH UNPREDICTABILITY INBOUND" Devnull

(p.s.: Seeing the posts above, you might want to check to see if that Mech-specific one is updating properly.)

#55 Spartan 04

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 53 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:57 AM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 25 August 2016 - 01:54 PM, said:

Interesting... those poor Cyclops pilots are going to get focused all weekend Posted Image

Well, I am working out of town for the week, but when I get back in, I will be running my Cyclopses (which I haven't touched yet) to participate in this event. Might as well try 'em out while giving others the chance at an achievement.

I'll even paint it super flashy to make it stand out. Have at me, boyos.

#56 Rungker

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:58 AM

FYI, I didn't buy into cyclops. However I do not feel empathy for cyclops being targeted, and actually think it's funny. Cyclop owners get their own rewards (or at least the potential) via leadership boards.

#57 Spartan 04

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 53 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:06 AM

View PostRungker, on 26 August 2016 - 08:58 AM, said:

FYI, I didn't buy into cyclops. However I do not feel empathy for cyclops being targeted, and actually think it's funny. Cyclop owners get their own rewards (or at least the potential) via leadership boards.

I'd argue that. I certainly won't get any rewards. I could play for hours and still not get on the top 750. That's for the hardcore pilots, regardless of chassis.

I just figure I'll contribute to a few player chess pieces

#58 Omaha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 559 posts
  • LocationAnywhere

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:43 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 26 August 2016 - 06:44 AM, said:

LOL as if we arent already! Have fun trying to target me! Heck even find me in game!

Edited by Omaha, 26 August 2016 - 09:44 AM.

#59 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:08 AM

View PostOmaha, on 26 August 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

<<<snip>>>

LOL as if we arent already! Have fun trying to target me! Heck even find me in game!

Maybe we should group up? Come find me on ComStar? I finally got TeamSpeak patched. :)

~D. V. "Needing to get out of the 'Idiot Queue'..." Devnull

(p.s.: "Idiot" means "Solo" here...)

#60 Montbard

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:14 AM

It would have been fun to also have an objective to protect your team cyclopes. Something like: if all cyclops on your team survive the match, then you get the reward. Cyclopes being considered as command mechs, it makes sense that they are targeted by the ennemy, but also that you should try to protect the ones on your side!

That being said, thanks for the event!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users