Dynamic Cooldown Modules

25 replies to this topic

#1 Jack Shayu Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:32 AM

I think it was Deathlike that suggested this off-hand, but for the life of me I cannot find the post in any of the topics I was conversing with him in. I added a bit to his suggestion, so if it sounds stupid now, it might be just what I added but...

Right now cooldown modules decrease the cooldown of all weapons of a single type by a flat 5% on your mech.

I am proposing that the cooldown buffs be more in the realm of 20-30%, but that the buff should be divided amongst all weapons that the module targets.

A 3 PPC mech should get a 6.66% Cooldown buff to each of his weapons if he mounts a module, whereas a single PPC mech should get a full 20% buff.

This will :

A ) help hardpoint starving mechs so that huge Cooldown quirks aren't as necessary.

B ) make it so that single weapon mechs get the same value out of cooldown modules as boat mechs.

C ) make mechs with single weapons more viable against their more fleshed out counterparts.

I would suggest that the following weapons get a 30% Cooldown module:
-IS Small Lasers
-IS Small Pulse Lasers
-IS Medium Lasers
-IS Medium Pulse Lasers
-Clan ER Small Lasers
-Clan Small Pulse Lasers

I would suggest that the following weapons get only a 12% Cooldown module:
-Gauss Rifle
-Clan Gauss Rifle

I would suggest that every other weapon get a 20% Cooldown module, and I would also suggest that weapon modules be halved in price to aid in their use as a balancing tool that newer players can equip, rather than a late game upgrade.

#2 Honiara

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:49 AM

Yep, all sounds like a good idea. Shame PGI wont even read this, yet alone comment or implement.

Sorry... Let my be a little more positive.

This is a good way to help hard point staved mechs, and a way to remove the quirks (which really make no sense at all). Dynamic Modules would bring a varied play style and a welcome change. No more having to check 3rd party websites, or going out of the mech lab to re-highlight your own mech to recheck quirks.

One of bigger issues with new mechs is power creep in the form of hard point numbers, this can go someway to resolving this issue.

Edited by Honiara, 27 August 2016 - 11:53 AM.

#3 Cygone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 454 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 August 2016 - 12:07 PM

The suggestion is well thought out and could make some really nice changes. I wonder if PGI will even read it?
Perhaps sendc Russ a PM on twitter to link to it

#4 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:03 AM

View PostCygone, on 27 August 2016 - 12:07 PM, said:

The suggestion is well thought out and could make some really nice changes. I wonder if PGI will even read it?
Perhaps sendc Russ a PM on twitter to link to it

Trying my hardest to get Russ to look on twitter.

Edited by Jack Shayu Walker, 28 August 2016 - 03:04 AM.

#5 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:21 AM

Hmmm..
We could also move away from these mech-based slots and have Body-Section based slots for modules.

Say you have 1 Slot in the LT where you have 2 Energy HPs. and this could buff all 2 weapons for 1/2 effect for each weapon, or for the full buff to a single weapon if you use only one.
So you could use 2x LLaser each getting 1/2 X% or you can take a single one for X%.

And that could also make it possible to give Arm-based weapons some kind of multiplier.

But I guess the current quirk system is already limited to the full mech, so HP based values are difficult for Quirks and Modules.

#6 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:33 AM

View PostReno Blade, on 28 August 2016 - 08:21 AM, said:

Hmmm..
We could also move away from these mech-based slots and have Body-Section based slots for modules.

Say you have 1 Slot in the LT where you have 2 Energy HPs. and this could buff all 2 weapons for 1/2 effect for each weapon, or for the full buff to a single weapon if you use only one.
So you could use 2x LLaser each getting 1/2 X% or you can take a single one for X%.

And that could also make it possible to give Arm-based weapons some kind of multiplier.

But I guess the current quirk system is already limited to the full mech, so HP based values are difficult for Quirks and Modules.

Yeah, I also thought of that, but the more complicated the idea, the more dev time it'll take, and the less attention PGI will pay it.

Just starting with dynamic cooldown modules will be a good step for the game that's really easy to implement.

#7 TankBadger42

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:25 AM

Really like this idea.

Also, I'd be happy for the Gauss to be a full 20%, gauss needs fixing with no hard cap, and this would help encourage 1-2 gauss builds.

#8 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:30 AM

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 28 August 2016 - 03:03 AM, said:

Trying my hardest to get Russ to look on twitter.

Has Russ responded?

#9 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:41 AM

So a mech with 4x AC2 and a cooldown module that gives ballistics 20% cooldown gets 5% cooldown on each AC2?
That's....really good. So simple and yet so damn good. It encourages mixed builds but allows boats to be powerfull too.

It could be applied to range modules too. They could even make new modules such as.
- Lock on modules. Shorter lock on times. Really good for mechs using a single streak/LRM launcher in addition to a bunch of other weapons.

- Burn duration module. - Velocity module (would work wonders for LRM's)
- Critical chance module that applies only to a certain type of weapon or weapon type.

Another thing is that this can be combined with other systems proposed by the community.
This is very promising. Hope Russ takes the bait.

#10 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:04 AM

View PostMystere, on 29 August 2016 - 08:30 AM, said:

Has Russ responded?

Nnnope :I

I tweet him about this at least once a day.

#11 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:18 AM

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 29 August 2016 - 10:04 AM, said:

Nnnope :I

I tweet him about this at least once a day.

There is one slight hope. I once sent a PM to Paul over a year ago but he never even read the PM. (proves how much hate mail he gets i guess)
But then i sent a PM to Tina. She opened the PM at least but gave it no response...better than nothing.
Just keep it short and polite.

I asked her to bring up my idea on the next staff meeting since it was unique enough to warrant attention.
It was a way to balance rifles and make them very usefull without altering TT values such as damage, heat, weight, crit slots, range, low velocity, low firerate.
Even the dang -3 damage to mech armor was only changed to -2.5 along with an increase in ammo per tonn.
It was a way to make the Rifles into crit seeker weapons....real beastly cannons once the armor is stripped.

Edited by Spleenslitta, 29 August 2016 - 10:27 AM.

#12 Appuagab

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:23 PM

I totally like this. Absolutely cool.

View PostSpleenslitta, on 29 August 2016 - 08:41 AM, said:

They could even make new modules such as...

And this. That's great.

But there's also a problem with modules' overprice. I think that PGI should add EVE Online's rigs-like modules: with same stats, more adequate pricing (like ~500'000 c-bills per weapon module) but they can be only fitted permanently and should destroyed to be replaced by another module, not freely moved between mechs.

Modules have such a great potential to improve customization but their overprice makes them underused.

#13 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:44 AM

View PostAppuagab, on 29 August 2016 - 12:23 PM, said:

I totally like this. Absolutely cool.

And this. That's great.

But there's also a problem with modules' overprice. I think that PGI should add EVE Online's rigs-like modules: with same stats, more adequate pricing (like ~500'000 c-bills per weapon module) but they can be only fitted permanently and should destroyed to be replaced by another module, not freely moved between mechs.

Modules have such a great potential to improve customization but their overprice makes them underused.

I would be in favor of bringing down the price of modules, however I'm going to leave out the suggestion of any other mechanical changes until this is actually in the game. I want PGI to think of this as something they can implement with minimal work. I think it'll do a lot of good for the game.

#14 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:34 AM

You know that is a really intersting idea.. Just like all the dynamic quirk, or Neg quirk suggestions.. Even missile spread.. I am really liking this idea a lot as it really does help prevent the biggest issues MWO has, the balance between one weapon, and a boat..

#15 Shadowspawn42

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:37 AM

I like the OP suggestion.

I would love to see cheaper modules, but I can work just fine with the existing system. In 2 months of play I have managed to acquire all the modules I need for both my scouting faction play deck and my 12v12 faction play deck. I now never need to buy another module again until I decide to try a different mech.

Let me reiterate that I love the OP suggestion! Nice thinking!

Edited by Shadowspawn42, 30 August 2016 - 09:38 AM.

#16 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:59 PM

View PostShadowspawn42, on 30 August 2016 - 09:37 AM, said:

I like the OP suggestion.

I would love to see cheaper modules, but I can work just fine with the existing system. In 2 months of play I have managed to acquire all the modules I need for both my scouting faction play deck and my 12v12 faction play deck. I now never need to buy another module again until I decide to try a different mech.

Let me reiterate that I love the OP suggestion! Nice thinking!

Again I recall it being Deathlike's idea, but I really liked it and definitely thought it deserved it's own topic Hopefully I can get Russ to look >.<.

#17 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPacific North West USA

Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:07 PM

This could be a nice buff for mechs that are hurting in the current game build. The Mist Lynx, Spider and Victor come right to mind.

#18 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:02 PM

I agree with the idea.

But if PGI could do dynamic stuff... we would not have had 7 different classes of targeting computers, and the quirks could have been locked to specific hardpoint, rather than chassis-wide.... or we would have switchable LBX ammo.

Sadly... PGI can not do dynamic stuff.... A programmer left the company in 2013 and they can not figure out the code any more.

#19 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:32 AM

View PostNavid A1, on 30 August 2016 - 11:02 PM, said:

I agree with the idea.

But if PGI could do dynamic stuff... we would not have had 7 different classes of targeting computers, and the quirks could have been locked to specific hardpoint, rather than chassis-wide.... or we would have switchable LBX ammo.

Sadly... PGI can not do dynamic stuff.... A programmer left the company in 2013 and they can not figure out the code any more.

Ah but the issue with switchable ammo is it must be dynamic in real time, "dynamic" cooldown modules just needs to be dynamic when you hit the save button on the mech lab. I don't even know how to code and I could probably sit down with a guide book and make this change if I had access to the games raw code (and knew where to find modules in that code.)

Its as simple as changing "5" to "20/x"

#20 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:46 AM

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 31 August 2016 - 05:32 AM, said:

Ah but the issue with switchable ammo is it must be dynamic in real time, "dynamic" cooldown modules just needs to be dynamic when you hit the save button on the mech lab. I don't even know how to code and I could probably sit down with a guide book and make this change if I had access to the games raw code (and knew where to find modules in that code.)

Its as simple as changing "5" to "20/x"

It IS simple.
But not when it comes to PGI.
It is similar to targeting computer case. A TC size and weight should depend on how much direct fire weapons you have on your mech... 1 ton of TC per 5 tons of weapon equipped. They could not do that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users