- - - - -

Best Package To Go With As A New Player?

23 replies to this topic

#1 Gambles

Rookie

• The God
  • The God
  • 4 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:50 PM

I suppose my playstyle is that of "follow the leader" I don't mind doing what I'm told and often find myself in fire support roles. I have a few friends that are interested in join too.

Just wondering which pack would be a good buy, money isn't much of an issue here but I don't wanna buy something I won't enjoy. I see the founder packs are ending soon, are they a good bet? premium time helps a lot I take it?

#2 Lorian Sunrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:04 PM

Ahoy fellow Albertan.

Not sure what you mean by founders pack, as those are long, long gone.

Depends what you are looking for. If you are looking for a single mech pack and like fire support, both the Archer and the Cyclops will probably do you well. If you are looking at a bigger bundle like buying into the Resistance packs or the Clan Waves, its a bit trickier and more expensive.

Generally speaking, if you are trying to get into the game, Medium mechs and Heavy mechs are probably your best bets. Both Assaults and lights take a lot more practice to get used to.

If you or your friends want a unit that is pretty laid back and happy to help new players, feel free to shoot me a PM and I can hook you up with our unit leader.

Edited by Lorian Sunrider, 29 August 2016 - 01:07 PM.

#3 Gambles

Rookie

• The God
  • The God
  • 4 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:10 PM

View PostLorian Sunrider, on 29 August 2016 - 01:04 PM, said:

Ahoy fellow Albertan.

Not sure what you mean by founders pack, as those are long, long gone.

Depends what you are looking for. If you are looking for a single mech pack and like fire support, both the Archer and the Cyclops will probably do you well. If you are looking at a bigger bundle like buying into the Resistance packs or the Clan Waves, its a bit trickier and more expensive.

Generally speaking, if you are trying to get into the game, Medium mechs and Heavy mechs are probably your best bets. Both Assaults and lights take a lot more practice to get used to.

If you or your friends want a unit that is pretty laid back and happy to help new players, feel free to shoot me a PM and I can hook you up with our unit leader.

Oh sorry, seen early adopters thing on the front page ending at the end of the month. Thanks for the recommendations looking into them now, there's so many damn options..

Edit: Oh I see that's for specific mechs, early adopter, gotcha!

Edited by Gambles, 29 August 2016 - 01:15 PM.

#4 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:10 PM

View PostGambles, on 29 August 2016 - 12:50 PM, said:

I suppose my playstyle is that of "follow the leader" I don't mind doing what I'm told and often find myself in fire support roles. I have a few friends that are interested in join too.

Just wondering which pack would be a good buy, money isn't much of an issue here but I don't wanna buy something I won't enjoy. I see the founder packs are ending soon, are they a good bet? premium time helps a lot I take it?

I dont think you can buy founder packs anymore...

Anyway, if you dont mind paying for something early, but not getting your product for many months from now... i have a feeling the Marauder IIC will be a great buy. The mech looks pretty solid, and has a lot of "Early Adopter Rewards" that come with pre-ording but you need to act fast i think (i could be wrong and the ship might have sailed already but yah...).

If you want a mech now... And got money to blow

I hear the warhammer package is pretty good. You can buy the basic package i think for $20 usd (that comes with 3 mechs I think).

Or if you are really loaded and just want to throw money into the air and make it rain, its hard to go wrong with the timberwolf ala cart... But I think thats like $75 buckaroonies?

And before I end my thread... Heres a shameless advertisement for the BLR-2C(c) that you can buy with MC... Love the battlemaster! Absolutelly love it!

#5 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:17 PM

View PostGambles, on 29 August 2016 - 01:10 PM, said:

Oh sorry, seen early adopters thing on the front page ending at the end of the month. Thanks for the recommendations looking into them now, there's so many damn options..

Ah, figured that's what you likely meant.

Those are incentives to pre-order mechs before a certain date. With the Marauder IIC package, it even comes with an extra mech which is always nice.

Honestly, your best bet is to likely do a $20 package like the Archer or any of the Inner Sphere heavy packs. Best bang for your buck, and if you end up really enjoying those mechs, you can upgrade them and get the hero mech later as well. Hero mechs have a unique camo pattern, a unique hardpoint configuration and a 30% bonus to your c-bill earnings (in game currency).

#6 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:22 PM

Also be careful when looking at the mech packs to check which date they come out. I doubt any of you or your friends is in much of a hurry to wait several months for some of the newer mechs to come out.

#7 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:34 PM

$20 + $20

Kodiak + Marauder

The only flaw in the above is that one is IS and one is Clan. Are you gonna play one side exclusively, or play the field?

For 20 bucks, the Kodiak is the best bang for your buck.

On the flip side, though, you might wanna save your dinero for a bit and try leveling something smaller before spending cash.

#8 Gambles

Rookie

• The God
  • The God
  • 4 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys much appreciated, went with the Kodiak as it seems to be a good all arounder and not ridiculously expensive for the package.

#9 DJMarine

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:48 PM

My advice is not to put any money into this game until you've had more time with it.

#10 Timothias

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:58 PM

I would suggest the Marauder pack, Warhammer pack, and Kodiak pack. They come with 3 mechs and 30 days premium time for $20 each.

#11 UnofficialOperator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:33 PM

View PostJayTac, on 29 August 2016 - 05:48 PM, said:

My advice is not to put any money into this game until you've had more time with it.

Same advice from me. Get multiple accounts and stay in tier 5 to find out which playstyle you'd prefer. Get all the 25 initial matches and training academy bonuses done. The first 25 matches and training academy bonus should get you decent amount of cbills to outfit 1 mech with which to farm whatever.

Kodiak is coming out in September for cbills anyway. Marauder iic may or may not be a good buy, depending on how ED turns out. Anyway if the amount of $ is trivial & you like the playstyle & you don't care about how ED turns out, go ahead and get the Kodiak. I'm pretty much just driving only KDK 3 now because meta :)

#12 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:55 PM

Well for value, if you have the extra money, and find colors+premium+camo a selling point.. Resistance II and clan wave III or clan origins are hard to beat.. By the time you add up all the extra's they cost more than the pack does.. verse say buying 4 20 dollar packs.. You get the same amount of mechs and bays, but you get double that in bonuses.

Kodiaks, like the KDR-3 is going to get the nerf bat sooner than later.. Just a warning.

#13 GenghisJr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:05 PM

Ill say something different and maybe consider the Cicada package, Cicada's are a support mech, stick with the big guys for best results, the downside of the chassis is that it is flimsy, you will lose side torso's a lot but the upside is that the chassis is fast enough to get you out of trouble and it will help develop a play style that will teach you to stay alive, by being alive longer you will gain an understanding of positioning, what a mechs vulnerabilities are and when in a CDA you are fast enough to exploit them.. You can then take these skills to other chassis, a good firing position for a CDA will also be a good firing position for any other mech, and you will know the good firing position because thats the one where fire could not be returned, which allowed your CDA to live, likewise protecting that torso is a skill you will use whenever you have an XL engine. And with the CDA you can add the CDA F at some stage which gives you the fun and agility of a light with the firepower of a medium - and it flys!

#14 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:34 PM

Most packs will keep selling forever (or as long as MWO keeps going), Founders stopped selling towards the end of 2012, Phoenix stopped selling in early 2014, every other pack is still for sale, the recent packs have included 3 varients of a single chassis, with optional addons for additional varients.
I think the Marauder IIC still has the early adoptor rewards available, early adoptor is a set of extras available if the Mech is purchased before a deadline, ther usualy end a few months before the Mech arives in game.
Of the single Mech packs in game so far the best are probablt Marauder, Warhammer and Kodiak, with an honourable mention for Vipers speed and jump capibility

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 30 August 2016 - 08:48 AM.

#15 Exard3k

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:22 AM

Always remember the newer mech packs like Linebacker or Marauder IIC are preorders that will be released in the future (e.g. Linebacker in November, Marauder IIC December).

Marauder, Warhammer or Archer are are good IS heavies and the 20$ pack gives you 30 days premium as well. You can also buy MC and get the Mastery Bundle in the ingame store. Mastery bundles are good deals too if you like the chassis and need premium time.

If you like Lasers and wanna spend some more money, have a look at the Resistance II Pack. Three good lasermechs and a ballistic/missile assault (Mauler) and lots of colors and other items.

Edited by Exard3k, 30 August 2016 - 12:25 AM.

#16 Keltan

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:53 AM

View PostExard3k, on 30 August 2016 - 12:22 AM, said:

You can also buy MC and get the Mastery Bundle in the ingame store. Mastery bundles are good deals too if you like the chassis and need premium time.

Isn't it cheaper to just buy the Mastery Bundle directly with dollars?

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:44 AM

View PostGambles, on 29 August 2016 - 12:50 PM, said:

Welcome. I'm aware they cleared up the founder pack things and you picked up on Early Adopter (basically meaning to get a pre-order pack extra early, as they use those funds to pay for its development).

I recommend testing out trial mechs and getting a feel for what you might like. Gauging heavies, lights, mediums and assaults for how they feel will help you figure out what direction you want to go.

I see you've gone with a Kodiak. How is it feeling?
With the upcoming Loyalty rewards program, that'll net you a free mech. If you get a chance, snag an Inner Sphere 'Mech, too, such as the Archer, Marauder, Warhammer, Rifleman, etc., so that you can get the free mech on the IS side with the loyalty programs, too.

http://mwomercs.com/...rewards-program

#18 Ibrandul Mike

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:16 AM

It may seem counter intuitive... but before you level all your Kodiaks... get the academy matches done.
The Kodiak is a beast, especially the KDK 3. You will have high damage matches with a decent loadout. So you will rank up quite fast. After your seeding matches that is not such a big problem anymore. Yes it will go quite fast, but you won't be out of your league so fast.

As for the packs:
The costumer appreciation program was talked about... but it still has time. So If you stick with MWO, before you buy the next packs, really check it out if it is of interest for you. There are plenty options to get the bonus mechs AND have good mech packs at the same time.

#19 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:26 AM

View PostGambles, on 29 August 2016 - 02:19 PM, said:

Thanks for all the advice guys much appreciated, went with the Kodiak as it seems to be a good all arounder and not ridiculously expensive for the package.

Kodiak is a great mech. Welcome abroad Posted Image

Edit: in the future I strongly suggest to upgrade to the Spirit Bear, the Kodiak hero. +30% C-bills bonus for a 100 tonners with MASC (it can do 90 kph for short burst) for an additional 15$ IMHO is a great deal (for comparison, a hero Atlas cost you 30$ alone).

Edited by invernomuto, 30 August 2016 - 08:31 AM.

#20 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:19 PM

Personally, even with the Kodiak pack, I'd suggest trying all the trials a coupla times. They give you a taste of the different chassis out there, an let you play around getting a better feel for the game, so next mech you get, you'll hae better Idea of what you like.

~Leone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users