Ice Ferret Builds?

39 replies to this topic

#21 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:30 PM

I tried the 1 mpl 4 spl build and noticed that they apparently nerfed the clan spl so that my original build of 3 mpls does only 1 point less damage...

Does anyone have a good build with srms for the Ferret? I have been playing the mess outta this mech. I love the torso turn radius. It seems to rival the Cicada and has been easy to keep on target when dancing circles around enemies before running away.

#22 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 05:28 PM

In a long history of bad ideas, this thread has piqued my interest in this chassis (though to be honest I've always been curious about the Ice Fridge).
My problem? I don't have the c-bills nor MC for buying a single one, so I'm considering the a la carte store option, which is only $5 less than buying the package that includes the Mist Lynx, which means I'm now thinking about Mist Lynx builds - all of this being a horribly bad idea because I'm famously horrible with lights and fast mediums due to my ingrained heavy/assault habits of thinking I can survive sticking around in one place for longer than two alphas. But I digress - I just theory-built a streak-4 build for an Ice Ferret that seems like it could be fun??

EDIT: Well I did the impulsive thing and bought the pack from the store. I didn't realise how big the Ice Ferret was...

EDITED EDIT: Ok sorry to hijack the thread, but I took the IFR-Prime for a spin today and I am utterly woeful with it. Stuck with the stock pods for now - should I just ditch the missile arm for more lasers?

Edited by Audacious Aubergine, 26 June 2017 - 03:34 AM.

#23 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:53 AM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 24 June 2017 - 05:28 PM, said:

In a long history of bad ideas, this thread has piqued my interest in this chassis (though to be honest I've always been curious about the Ice Fridge)...

Wish I had seen this earlier, I would have told you to save your money. I cannot possibly say enough bad things about the Ice Feces, it is garbage and needs all those quirks to be mildly playable. I mastered them before quirks and have never touched them since, with full armor it 'boasts' a powerful weapons package of 9 tons, almost all of them low mounted and in the arms (which are kept away from the body so that enemies can strip them easier). Some people love it - I'm not one of them. But to answer your question, the only acceptable build I use on the prime is 4xERML's, I don't want to be close enough to use SRM's until the other side has been whittled down.

If you want to actually have fun, try a viper, same speed, shave a bit of head armor and you get 8.5 tons of weapons, and 8 glorious jump jets (this is how JJ's should work). This mech can really fly, and has great agility. The nerf to cspl's hurt all light and lighter mediums, but ersl's still work. You're not going to post amazing damage numbers in it, but it provides a lot of fun, which has it's own value.

The best thing I can say about the Mist Lynx is that it was pretty easy to complete the assist contest since you are almost always the one of the last on your team alive since nobody in their right mind wastes shots on you when there are ANY other targets on the battlefield. Slow, lightly armored, and no tonnage available for weapons....it hits all the buttons....

#24 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:11 AM

In a long history of bad ideas, this thread has piqued my interest in this chassis (though to be honest I've always been curious about the Ice Fridge).
My problem? I don't have the c-bills nor MC for buying a single one, so I'm considering the a la carte store option, which is only $5 less than buying the package that includes the Mist Lynx, which means I'm now thinking about Mist Lynx builds - all of this being a horribly bad idea because I'm famously horrible with lights and fast mediums due to my ingrained heavy/assault habits of thinking I can survive sticking around in one place for longer than two alphas. But I digress - I just theory-built a streak-4 build for an Ice Ferret that seems like it could be fun??

EDIT: Well I did the impulsive thing and bought the pack from the store. I didn't realise how big the Ice Ferret was...

EDITED EDIT: Ok sorry to hijack the thread, but I took the IFR-Prime for a spin today and I am utterly woeful with it. Stuck with the stock pods for now - should I just ditch the missile arm for more lasers?

Don't gets discouraged by this mech in the beginning. It requires a bit of a unique play style, but this mech definitely pays off once you figure out how to handle it.

In regards to your streak build, I would recommend changing the streaks for SRM4 +ARTEMIS. They don't guarantee a hit, but you'll be wasting less time spreading damage all over.

Consider using the Ice Ferret D. It has 4 medium pulse lasers and AMS stock. It runs a little hot so if you have impulse issues and struggle to manage heat, try the 3 medium pulse or 4 small pulse plus 1 medium pulse build some people have mentioned above. Post laser balance, you may want to consider 4 small lasers and a medium pulse as well (I haven't had a chance to try that one yet).

The Prime build which comes with an erPPC and some short range weapons is also decent, but requires patience. You have to try to keep range until you expose some enemy components.

The only other tips I can give you to help you play this mech effectively is to make sure you think before you act in this mech. Running with other fast mechs will greatly increase the amount of time you survive. Consider your loadout when choosing to engage. If you've got the and of the med/small laser brawlers, you can stick around to trade a little as long as you aren't out numbered. If you have more srms or an erPPC, do a strafing run knowing where your exit path is. Your job in the Ice Ferret is to be the tanky mech of a wolf pack or to be the harasser of a larger group. Turn the enemy around when you have slower allies with you. Run circles around the enemy to his weapons are minimally effective and only do partial damage. If you are guys, try sticking a flamer or two if you tend to get in real close.

There is a lot you can do with this mech, just tell us what your play style is and I'm sure someone in this thread already has an idea how to build toward it.

#25 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:01 AM

View PostJ0anna, on 26 June 2017 - 05:53 AM, said:

Wish I had seen this earlier, I would have told you to save your money. I cannot possibly say enough bad things about the Ice Feces, it is garbage and needs all those quirks to be mildly playable. I mastered them before quirks and have never touched them since, with full armor it 'boasts' a powerful weapons package of 9 tons, almost all of them low mounted and in the arms (which are kept away from the body so that enemies can strip them easier). Some people love it - I'm not one of them. But to answer your question, the only acceptable build I use on the prime is 4xERML's, I don't want to be close enough to use SRM's until the other side has been whittled down.

If you want to actually have fun, try a viper, same speed, shave a bit of head armor and you get 8.5 tons of weapons, and 8 glorious jump jets (this is how JJ's should work). This mech can really fly, and has great agility. The nerf to cspl's hurt all light and lighter mediums, but ersl's still work. You're not going to post amazing damage numbers in it, but it provides a lot of fun, which has it's own value.

The best thing I can say about the Mist Lynx is that it was pretty easy to complete the assist contest since you are almost always the one of the last on your team alive since nobody in their right mind wastes shots on you when there are ANY other targets on the battlefield. Slow, lightly armored, and no tonnage available for weapons....it hits all the buttons....

I am planning to get a Viper variant. Which would you recommend if you could buy just one?

Also have to vehemently disagree with your views on the Ice Ferret. LOVE IT. I do respect your opinion though and will not disparage it.

#26 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:48 PM

View PostGibson Ibanez, on 29 June 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

I am planning to get a Viper variant. Which would you recommend if you could buy just one?

Also have to vehemently disagree with your views on the Ice Ferret. LOVE IT. I do respect your opinion though and will not disparage it.

The Viper-c (variant with the 4 machine guns) is solid if you know how to handle your mech stealthily and have the patience to work on assassinations and wherewithal to utilize cover when spotted.

Don't forget that these need to be treated as delicately as possible so make sure you are doing everything you can to avoid being the center of attention.

#27 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:43 PM

The key I think is to be aware that it's one of the mechs that doesn't play like its class. Much like the Cicada, the Fridge is a medium that plays like a light. That means you have to decide on what 'light role' you want it playing.

For the Prime, I think because of the lack of the CT energy hardpoint you'll want to either put 2 ERLLs in the arm and snipe/harass from a distance (just don't lose that arm - twist away and show the right side if someone starts firing at you), or buy the IFR-C left torso (the one with a missile hardpoint) and run 2 MLs along with 2 SSRM4s or SRM6s and a clan active probe to hunt down fast light mechs. When you have enough money you might want to add the IFR-B left arm as well and run 3 SRM4s with a MPL to use as a general hit-and-run mech..

#28 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:07 PM

My trouble with it so far is that it's just too damn big and handles like a wind-steered jet ski once it's running. Double ERLL sniper has worked out alright, I'll give the CT laser + missiles build a go later on after I've attempted today's gauss rifles challenge

#29 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:00 AM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 29 June 2017 - 11:07 PM, said:

My trouble with it so far is that it's just too damn big and handles like a wind-steered jet ski once it's running. Double ERLL sniper has worked out alright, I'll give the CT laser + missiles build a go later on after I've attempted today's gauss rifles challenge

I hope that you are upgrading its mobility. With a top speed of about 140kph (as fast as an ACH), you really want to make sure that you are using the speed to your advantage. That means learning how to handle the throttle correctly to maximize its handling. When you turn, let off the throttle or even break before you start the turn to cut corners faster. You have to drive it like a car at the track, which involves some thinking, but they pay out is much longer survival (laser damage spreads better when you're less predictable) and you can improving your placement in relation to the mechs shooting at you.

One of the best tips I can give is to consider how much armor you are trading per a maneuver. There are a few simple questions to ask yourself:
1. How much damage will I take if I do this move?
2. How much damage will I deal if I do this move?
3. Will the placement of this damage be meaningful?
4. What is my position (and protection) after I make this move?

A lot to consider at first, but when you start practicing those questions you'll start to perform really well in brawls (especially in scouting), see your damage start climbing, and you'll be surprised at how long you are able to survive.

Only other tip I have is that a medium mech that functions best as a pack animal, find your pack ASAP when the game starts, be it fast and light or slow and heavy. Ice-Ferrets don't have the damage capacity to eliminate enemies quickly on their own, BUT they are great at exploiting weaknesses. Find a mech (or group of mechs) that can expose some weaknesses and go nuts!

#30 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:23 AM

View PostSuperFunkTron, on 30 June 2017 - 08:00 AM, said:

I hope that you are upgrading its mobility. With a top speed of about 140kph (as fast as an ACH), you really want to make sure that you are using the speed to your advantage. That means learning how to handle the throttle correctly to maximize its handling. When you turn, let off the throttle or even break before you start the turn to cut corners faster. You have to drive it like a car at the track, which involves some thinking, but they pay out is much longer survival (laser damage spreads better when you're less predictable) and you can improving your placement in relation to the mechs shooting at you.

One of the best tips I can give is to consider how much armor you are trading per a maneuver. There are a few simple questions to ask yourself:
1. How much damage will I take if I do this move?
2. How much damage will I deal if I do this move?
3. Will the placement of this damage be meaningful?
4. What is my position (and protection) after I make this move?

A lot to consider at first, but when you start practicing those questions you'll start to perform really well in brawls (especially in scouting), see your damage start climbing, and you'll be surprised at how long you are able to survive.

Only other tip I have is that a medium mech that functions best as a pack animal, find your pack ASAP when the game starts, be it fast and light or slow and heavy. Ice-Ferrets don't have the damage capacity to eliminate enemies quickly on their own, BUT they are great at exploiting weaknesses. Find a mech (or group of mechs) that can expose some weaknesses and go nuts!

+1 to everything he said.

One advantage to me with the Ice Ferret vs the Viper is the Ice Ferret gets no respect from enemies. People see the Viper as a bigger threat and try to spank it accordingly. IFD is great for Domination mode to get to that circle. It is great in Conquest for caps. I have often been the last mech standing because it is overlooked as a threat. Granted, I am not the best pilot but I have many multi kill games with it because I stay with bigger threats as fire support and take advantage of being overlooked.

I also have been using a loadout that I have found to be useful on ANY map. CT- ERLL 2 ERSML in each arm. Try it and see what you think.

Edited by Gibson Ibanez, 03 July 2017 - 11:25 AM.

#31 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:36 PM

I bought the Viper-C and it is a blast to run. The Viper and the Ice Ferret are officially my two favorite mechs to pilot. There are enough differences that I cannot pick a favorite.

I keep going back to the mpl build on the Ice Ferret. It is my most consistent performer. To be blunt, I am not the best pilot with either. I have seen people get Ace of Spades with the Viper. Maybe after I get it skilled up. I finally got radar derp... new mechs on Polar get lurmed apart without it. Sucks having to power down behind cover to break the lock.

For fun, I ran a build on the Viper that is a throwback to the classic Spider 5K build. Ct - erll and 4 mgs. Most of the time I run 4 mgs, 1 spl in each arm and 1 mpl in the CT. I group the mgs and spls to fire with mouse 2 and group one is the mpl for pokes. I have yet to get close to overheating. Tried it once with erll, 2 ersls, 4mgs and shut it down on Tourmaline while fighting a Stalker. Derp.

Edited by Gibson Ibanez, 07 July 2017 - 07:40 PM.

#32 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:19 PM

View PostJ0anna, on 26 June 2017 - 05:53 AM, said:

You were right. I bought the Viper and have been neglecting the Ferret. Still like the Ferret but the Viper has more mobility options.with all those jumpjets.

#33 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:26 AM

View PostGibson Ibanez, on 14 July 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

You were right. I bought the Viper and have been neglecting the Ferret. Still like the Ferret but the Viper has more mobility options.with all those jumpjets.

Looking like I'll be taking your lead here, might as well take the hit and sell the non-special variants of the Ice Ferret and replace them with a Viper. Any recommendations?

EDIT: Oh never mind, the non-special variants are the ones with CT hardpoints :(

Edited by Audacious Aubergine, 15 July 2017 - 05:08 AM.

#34 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 04:08 AM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 15 July 2017 - 02:26 AM, said:

Looking like I'll be taking your lead here, might as well take the hit and sell the non-special variants of the Ice Ferret and replace them with a Viper. Any recommendations?

EDIT: Oh never mind, the non-special variants are the ones with CT hardpoints :(

The only Viper variant I own is the C variant. The machine guns.....yeah they shred. I wish the Ice Ferret could boat six of them like the Blackjack hero. Then it would be fearedish. At least it would get more respect.

#35 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:55 PM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 15 July 2017 - 02:26 AM, said:

EDIT: Oh never mind, the non-special variants are the ones with CT hardpoints Posted Image

The upcoming ECM Ice Ferret will make losing the hardpoint worth it.

4 HML with ECM for sneak sneak will hit like a truck.

#36 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:57 PM

Ok a few quick points:

1) The Viper C is the one, 5xHSL's and MG's - it is a blast to play.

2) Heavy lasers gave some needed help to mechs with limited hard points or weight. The Ice Ferret Prime is quite a bit of fun with 4xHML's. I still prefer the Viper to it (and the Shadow Cat), but the IFR-Prime definitely makes good use of the HML's. I'm retracting my earlier comments.

3) Maybe I just prefer JJ's on my light and medium mechs, but in addition to the tried and true 2xERPPC or 2xLPL or even the 2xERLL & MG sniper, I've found 2xSHC builds that are a blast to play:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b5414a3677e8c87

and

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f6ff7dbbdc4d0fb

#37 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:48 PM

View PostJ0anna, on 29 July 2017 - 12:57 PM, said:

Ok a few quick points: 1) The Viper C is the one, 5xHSL's and MG's - it is a blast to play. 2) Heavy lasers gave some needed help to mechs with limited hard points or weight. The Ice Ferret Prime is quite a bit of fun with 4xHML's. I still prefer the Viper to it (and the Shadow Cat), but the IFR-Prime definitely makes good use of the HML's. I'm retracting my earlier comments. 3) Maybe I just prefer JJ's on my light and medium mechs, but in addition to the tried and true 2xERPPC or 2xLPL or even the 2xERLL & MG sniper, I've found 2xSHC builds that are a blast to play: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b5414a3677e8c87 and http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f6ff7dbbdc4d0fb

Your build suggestions are appreciated but you do realize this is a thread for Ice-Ferret builds and not Viper advertising, right?

#38 Kaiju-Killer

• PipPip
  • The Lumberjack
  • The Lumberjack
  • 31 posts
  • LocationOn my way to the top

Posted 28 June 2023 - 03:55 PM

Last post here was 2017, don't know how much has changed with the Ice Ferret but I found a build I like a bit, again don't know if this has already been offered as a build: x5 small pulses and a streak srm2 with a half ton of ammo.
Just thought I'd offer this to anyone looking for a build coz why not :P

#39 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,754 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 16 August 2023 - 01:29 AM

This has been my go to build. Sneaky and can one shot many mechs from the rear.

ifr-rc

#40 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 16 August 2023 - 02:33 AM

i once finsihed a 2vs2 match with a legged ice ferret 2 medium lasers and an erppc i guess they thought since i was legged they could deal with me later... they were wrong. ice ferret prime btw but the rianbow crow can do the same build with ecm.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users