#21 Aokarasu

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 57 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:36 AM

View PostFoxfire, on 18 July 2012 - 05:16 AM, said:

They need to add melee before the clans really hit. That was the one major advantage that the IS had over clanners.

Except that was only from a "fluff" point of view. If melee combat is enabled, there's nothing to prevent a "Clan" player from using melee attacks, barring it being disabled for the Clans.

Honestly, I'd really rather the Clans not be allowed as a player option, because of the gross imbalance. There isn't a BV (Battle Value) system like there is in tabletop to assist in balancing the forces.

Off the top of my head, the "easiest" way to "balance" a Clan vs IS match is to make it a 12 (IS) vs 5 (Clan) set-up.

#22 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:38 AM

I am hoping for the first few months of the invasion timeline that the random battles will sometimes contain developers piloting a star of clan mechs. That would make me have to move away from my desk for fear of getting a bend in an uncomfortable place.

#23 Rixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:39 AM

I honestly hope they reset the clock and 2013 starts 3049 again.

Why? We know closed beta will start Aug 7th. Best case scenario is late Sept for open beta, and maybe an October launch of the game. The clan invasion is going to happen 5 months after that?

They've already said that the territory dispute system won't be in place at release, and thats not much time to launch the rest of the IS mechs. Yet somehow they are going to throw together clan mechs, clan tech, the invasion event, etc etc etc...

It would be a good idea to delay the invasion by resetting the calender giving them time to hammer out the basic elements of the game.

#24 SNOWHOUND

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:39 AM

dont delay it catch us by surprise when were all still new-ish players to the game with inferior IS tech at the mercy of the clans.

- only the best mechwarriors will survive.

#25 Lord Cochrane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:41 AM

I always thought the history of the succession wars and the whole civilisation in decline created around it was great, but to me the clan invasion and all the rubbish that followed it was just meh.
So I for one would not be bothered at all by a delay in the timeline.

#26 Abagnatius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 192 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech's Cockpit aiming at you...

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:43 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 18 July 2012 - 05:08 AM, said:

So what should the devs do? "End of the road" signs don't work in space.

I am still laughing :D

#27 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:44 AM

What we need is all the mech variants that were present at the Battle of Tukayyid. Then have us an all out brawl.

#28 Terror Teddy

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

Well, in the end when the clans have arrived and people wants to join them for the sweet sweet mechs (not me, Im an IS merc.) then all we need is a bidding system.

Bidding system would mean that two opposing clan teams get to vote on which one can bring the LEAST tonnage to the match and the one who brings the least gets to play.

This way the clans will always be unmatched.

How this will play out when IS players gets ahold on clan tech is another issue to look at as well.

Tonnage
Meta Level of gear
Tonnage VS C-bill worth of mechs

Im starting to lean on using a C-bill evaluation between teams instead of tonnage.

#29 Dyson Ring

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 178 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia, Australia

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:50 AM

I think that the Clan invasion should happen on schedule, but keep them from being playable factions until after they come back from voting in the new ilKhan. :D

#30 Terror Teddy

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:57 AM

View PostDyson Ring, on 18 July 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

I think that the Clan invasion should happen on schedule, but keep them from being playable factions until after they come back from voting in the new ilKhan. :D

In the end I think they should keep the clans purely as NPC's and have large historical battles against them. Multiplayer matches would be regular brawls within the inner sphere houses (after all, its not like they all stopped fighting each other just because some tribal super tech hillbillies arrived).

After the clans are defeated at Tukkayid players can choose to join the clans as the tech have trickled down to IS players as well.

Keep it cool, keep it awesome.

#31 bpphantom

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationCanukistan

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:57 AM

View PostSNOWHOUND, on 18 July 2012 - 05:39 AM, said:

dont delay it catch us by surprise when were all still new-ish players to the game with inferior IS tech at the mercy of the clans.

- only the best mechwarriors will survive.

The problem is that we're not using equipment AS inferior as the lore implied. Unless you really dig in to the lore per mech you find that Level 1 tech was all the IS had (3025) when the Clans hit the Periphery. No Artemis, no pulse or ER, no XL, etc. We appear to be starting at a point where LosTech is being not only rediscovered but deployed to the field.

#32 Lipot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:58 AM

I would have to agree with almost everyone here. Keep the invasion on schedule. I am not a clanner nor ever will be but given some of the game mechanics that are going to be in place, it is save to say that while major battles involving a clan victory will still take place, there will be a lot of minor battles that they will lose. Why? Because despite their obvious advantages, they do not really fight wars, they fight honour duals. A classic clan assault starts off with them contacting the place they are going to attack and asking for the expected resistance they would face. Then they argue and bid among themselves for the right to attack by reducing the number of troops they feel they would need until someone concedes. And this not only goes for the number of mechs on the field but the types or weight classes in the field as well. If the bidding system is like this then the IS pilots have a tactical advantage. Range doesn't mean nothing if you are outmaneuvered. C3 computer systems with good scout mechs broadcasting the targeting data removes 50% of the Clans advantage. The other 50% will be based on pure team work. The clans are not all powerful and everyone needs to remember that. Shock works wonders but long drawn out battles tend to impact them more.

#33 Willpower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:59 AM

I'm another who am very much looking forward to the clan mechs.

That being said, however, I also believe they should bump that release back a while. Let people get settled into the IS stuff, get the IS mechs they want, play with them a bit, get them upgraded to the point that they are as efficient as the xp driver tree will allow.

And then, when the first main rush of players have gotten to that point and need a little something extra to look forward to and get excited about, then bring on the clans. That will generate a ton of interest, bring in new players/paying customers, and give the franchise a real boost when the initial influx of cash in PGI's coffers has run its course.

#34 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:02 AM

View PostFoxfire, on 18 July 2012 - 05:16 AM, said:

They need to add melee before the clans really hit. That was the one major advantage that the IS had over clanners.

:D :D :D :( :lol: Oh thanks for that. Go read a book.

#35 Cobweb

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationNew Haven, CT

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:05 AM

You think you're the odd duck out? I would love nothing more than to see clan never invade. But I just like balance and fun........

#36 TizZ

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:08 AM

I will play with what I got , if im an underdog with an IS mech then all the better and shame on the clan mech that cant beat me :D , Guys n Gals its the pilot not the mech that wins most fights and if your forced to use your brains to overcome slightly better odds even better , For example I can see a little scout hunting scout to get a little advantage over the enemy ,
I love clan mechs but some of my favs have been IS ones for the punishment they can take and give close up with short range weps .
Always been clan mechs have better weps at a cost of tonnage and heat , if you cycle your cheaper more numerous weps the clanner can never target you fully but in the end its fun to have a challenge whatever :D bring it on I say ...

#37 Terror Teddy

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:12 AM

My dream...having my IS merc urbanmech take out a clan player in his wet dream madcat.

Mostly because I hate the MadCat/Timber Wolf - its the fanboys little wet dream toy to the point that they go blind and ignore the other very good and in several cases superior mechs - and in the end it is always down to the pilot to make the mech good.

Edited by Terror Teddy, 18 July 2012 - 06:14 AM.

#38 Skylarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:14 AM

Clan Invasion

Periphery Action (August-September 3049)

Wave 1 (March-April 3050)

Wave 2 (May-June 3050)

Wave 3 (June 3050)

Wave 4 (July-October 3050)

Wave 5 (November 3051-January 3052)

Posted Image

So when do you think we will be able to fight/play the Clans?

#39 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:14 AM

Unbelievable number of assumptions with high likelihood of being incorrect in this thread.

#40 Atindralerd

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUS ARMY

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:15 AM

[color="#000000"]It would stand to reason that the developers would institute some sort of balance for clanner mechs, but like all games I would see them as being top tier death machines that you’d have to save up for. I for one look forward to seeing the clanner mechs, I’m not a huge fan of the inner sphere mech line up and would welcome the change of pace and battle rhythm[/color]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users