#21 ScarecrowES

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:07 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 12 September 2016 - 10:27 PM, said:

Since they're using heat to penalize high alphas. I would imagine lasers would feel it most.

Technically, ballistics receive the most negative consequences from ED. Because ED applies a heat penalty proportional to damage rather then heat (as GH does) ballistics see proportionally more heat penalty to heat ratio than any other weapon type.

However, ballistics builds with low heat caps are already heavily buffed under MWO's base heat system... with free bonus heat cap and dissipation. So even though they're penalized more, proportionately, they don't always feel it. But play enough under ED and keep exceeding the cap, and you'll notice ballistics heat up much faster when you exceed your cap and take longer to cool down than energy builds.

Every change tested so far ... not one of them addresses the actual problem. The mechanics of the heat system are the issue. Cap itself is not a problem. Dissipation itself is not a problem. The problem come when your cap and dissipation do not reflect what's been put into the build, and when you can use every bit of that cap penalty free and dissipate at Max rate all the time.

MWO doesn't put anything in there to make players think twice about carrying as much heat as they can get away with.

Until PGI actually addresses the actual issues - which they'll likely not do if they keep taking the advice of people who don't understand the mechanics of the system - we're just getting a different color of band-aid.

#22 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:12 AM

And who, honestly, NEEDS to test these changes. It's all math - we can tell even before we patch the PTS what effect the changes will have.

You don't have to bend over and take a whiff to be able to recognize a **** - it's pretty obvious on sight. You certainly don't need to analyze it in detail to figure out what kind of **** it is, exactly.

#23 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:16 AM

View PostScarecrowES, on 13 September 2016 - 05:12 AM, said:

And who, honestly, NEEDS to test these changes. It's all math - we can tell even before we patch the PTS what effect the changes will have.

You don't have to bend over and take a whiff to be able to recognize a **** - it's pretty obvious on sight. You certainly don't need to analyze it in detail to figure out what kind of **** it is, exactly.

I'd like to point out that some people are paid to test and analyze... stuff in detail. I find this both sad and hilarious.

#24 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:00 AM

View Postcazidin, on 13 September 2016 - 05:16 AM, said:

I'd like to point out that some people are paid to test and analyze... stuff in detail. I find this both sad and hilarious.

I dont, there are ppl who are paid to test and when they see car with only 3 wheels no testing is required, send it back with note attached "this **** wont work".

You dont need to test fine details when formula itself is flawed.

Edited by davoodoo, 13 September 2016 - 07:01 AM.

#25 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:02 AM

View Postdavoodoo, on 13 September 2016 - 07:00 AM, said:

I dont, there are ppl who are paid to test and when they see car with only 3 wheels no testing is required, send it back with note attached "this **** wont work".

You dont need to test fine details when formula itself is flawed.

I think you misunderstood, or maybe I just made... Posted Image ...a crap joke.

#26 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:44 PM

It's been over a hour now, it is dead.....

#27 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:07 PM

View Postcazidin, on 13 September 2016 - 11:02 AM, said:

I think you misunderstood, or maybe I just made... Posted Image ...a crap joke.

Pooh jokes, yay!

What a crappy job. I bet they feel pretty down in the dumps about it.

#28 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:42 PM

did 30heat cap kill the PTS? can we move past this 30Cap thingie now? ;)

#29 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:07 AM

I was never able to get even one match by the time I got home. They need a mini PTS event to get some real testing done.

#30 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:17 AM

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 14 September 2016 - 03:07 AM, said:

I was never able to get even one match by the time I got home. They need a mini PTS event to get some real testing done.

So ppl will play to get reward and then stop playing(or dont even bother if there aint any reward).
Ppl have spoken, pts4 isnt what ppl want.

Why do i feel that when ppl are asking for more testing they instead say "play until you start liking it".

Edited by davoodoo, 14 September 2016 - 03:23 AM.

#31 Remover of Obstacles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 558 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:18 AM

Maybe if the PTS was more fun than the game client, the people would actually want to play it.

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 14 September 2016 - 03:07 AM, said:

They need a mini PTS event to get some real testing done.

#32 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:09 PM

View PostRemover of Obstacles, on 14 September 2016 - 03:18 AM, said:

Maybe if the PTS was more fun than the game client, the people would actually want to play it.

That's a very good point!

#33 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:19 PM

View PostRemover of Obstacles, on 14 September 2016 - 03:18 AM, said:

Does anyone else feel like... maybe... this is all being done to give players a better appreciation for GH? Like... PTS1 ED was enough to turn of half of players from the get-go. PGI doubled down and made those people even angrier, but some of the supporters liked it more too. So they doubled-down again, completely turning off many of the people on the fence, but they still had the support of the die-hards. PTS 4 went completely off the reservation. Even ED die-hards are abandoning ship.

We've seen certain players go: "Down with GH, this system needs to die." at the beginning of PTS 1 to "OMG, please just let us have GH!" at the end of PTS 4.

Intentional self-sabotage?

#34 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:27 PM

I hope energy draw is dead...

the PTS can stay

#35 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:34 PM

View PostScarecrowES, on 14 September 2016 - 03:19 PM, said:

Does anyone else feel like... maybe... this is all being done to give players a better appreciation for GH? Like... PTS1 ED was enough to turn off half of players from the get-go. PGI doubled down and made those people even angrier, but some of the supporters liked it more too. So they doubled-down again, completely turning off many of the people on the fence, but they still had the support of the die-hards. PTS 4 went completely off the reservation. Even ED die-hards are abandoning ship.

We've seen certain players go: "Down with GH, this system needs to die." at the beginning of PTS 1 to "OMG, please just let us have GH!" at the end of PTS 4.

That's an interesting perspective and I would not put it past them. One thing is for sure, (in my mind) PTS4 is not a serious attempt at anything. I feel, as many have already said, that nerfing both capacity and dissipation is being done so that anytime capacity is brought up in the future they can point at this as proof of its failure. Its a bait and switch. I'm not one to put much faith in PGI but there is just no way this PTS4 crap is a serious attempt at balance...

As for wanting ghost heat... I don't know if that is their secret plan but if it is its certainly working for me. The balance (as you have said) on live is OK. It may not be great but most things are viable. When they have to radically change the values of several weapons with each PTS its clear that something is not working.

Edited by Kaptain, 14 September 2016 - 03:35 PM.

#36 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:11 PM

View PostScarecrowES, on 14 September 2016 - 03:19 PM, said:

Does anyone else feel like... maybe... this is all being done to give players a better appreciation for GH? Like... PTS1 ED was enough to turn of half of players from the get-go. PGI doubled down and made those people even angrier, but some of the supporters liked it more too. So they doubled-down again, completely turning off many of the people on the fence, but they still had the support of the die-hards. PTS 4 went completely off the reservation. Even ED die-hards are abandoning ship.

I say its to win goodwill by listening to old feedback.

But then its typical pgi change quality.

Edited by davoodoo, 14 September 2016 - 04:11 PM.

#37 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:39 PM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 13 September 2016 - 09:42 PM, said:

did 30heat cap kill the PTS? can we move past this 30Cap thingie now? Posted Image

It wasn't 30 heat cap.

It was a HUGE in-engine DHS nerf.
And a heat capacity nerf.

Mechs are forced to deal with losing ~20(or more) heat capacity without true doubles. What did you expect?
Mechs that relied on in engine true doubles have gotten killed. Guess which weight class has most mechs that did this? Lights!

Edited by Keshav Murali, 14 September 2016 - 04:39 PM.

#38 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:37 PM

View PostKeshav Murali, on 14 September 2016 - 04:39 PM, said:

It wasn't 30 heat cap.

It was a HUGE in-engine DHS nerf.
And a heat capacity nerf.

Mechs are forced to deal with losing ~20(or more) heat capacity without true doubles. What did you expect?
Mechs that relied on in engine true doubles have gotten killed. Guess which weight class has most mechs that did this? Lights!

Killed all my mixed weapon heavies and assaults that were reliant on engine heatsinks due to space constraints. Whats the point in bringing all weapon types if I cant fall back to ballistic weapons. Huge Fail on PGIs part.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users