22 replies to this topic

#1 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:29 PM

I'm going to guess it's that way because of the Event ?

I don't see any team cooperation, no different then Quick play. Can be a good one every once in a while, but for the most part, a lot of glory hounds, solo playing self satisfying Pilots.

No gratitude's for helping others. It's very rare when there is, maybe one in 50 games might here one.

Now I am having fun, when I get in a half decent team, (or better), but some times of the day, it's filled with Hemorrhoid players. being I'm playing Clan Loyalist, I certainly don't see them, no real Clan blood, just some wanna-be's
There's more fighting among themselves then against the enemy in the Matches.

Hope it clears up after the event Posted Image

#2 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:34 PM

View PostXaat Xuun, on 12 September 2016 - 09:29 PM, said:

I'm going to guess it's that way because of the Event ? I don't see any team cooperation, no different then Quick play. Can be a good one every once in a while, but for the most part, a lot of glory hounds, solo playing self satisfying Pilots. No gratitude's for helping others. It's very rare when there is, maybe one in 50 games might here one. Now I am having fun, when I get in a half decent team, (or better), but some times of the day, it's filled with Hemorrhoid players. being I'm playing Clan Loyalist, I certainly don't see them, no real Clan blood, just some wanna-be's There's more fighting among themselves then against the enemy in the Matches. Hope it clears up after the event Posted Image

You are not the first person to talk about this and I'm sure you will not be the last.

Read mine at the bottom of the page.

http://mwomercs.com/...al/page__st__60

#3 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:41 PM

lack of communication is the biggest PUG problem in this game.. and there is nothing PGI can do about it.

Join a unit is really your only option, because ever since the steam launch, the issue is worse by about 10 fold.

#4 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:38 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 12 September 2016 - 09:34 PM, said:

You are not the first person to talk about this and I'm sure you will not be the last.

Read mine at the bottom of the page.

http://mwomercs.com/...al/page__st__60

That's funny, I just read that before peeking here

#5 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:41 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 12 September 2016 - 09:41 PM, said:

lack of communication is the biggest PUG problem in this game.. and there is nothing PGI can do about it.

Join a unit is really your only option, because ever since the steam launch, the issue is worse by about 10 fold.

finding a unit that I fit in at the time(s) I play is tough. I have a feeling it'll be by chance for a good match, that I fit and the times fit.
right now I'm playing earlier then normal, and sometimes later, can't take invites from those not on when I am normally.

I was in a IS Merc unit, and most I played with worked out well (except one day), I had unintentionally left unit, but thing was, no one was on during my normal time, was thinking of leaving anyways, because of that.

Edited by Xaat Xuun, 12 September 2016 - 10:46 PM.

#6 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:07 PM

if you jump in with a bunch of aimless pugs, then why would FP be any different than quick play?

Sure, it might last a little longer, but not a big difference.

If anything, it is probably a whole lot worse when you get 12 people together that do not know what they are doing.

Frankly, I blame PGI for that. There is a lot of nuance and different tactics and strategies that apply to FP and PGI has ZERO guidance on what they are.

PGI does not even have a vid or page that fully explains the basic mechanics of FP.

Hell, during one of the last FP events I got paired AGAINST a 12 man that did not know how to shoot down the gate generators to get inside the base. We pretty much had to give them instructions via all chat. (btw, feel free to guess how the match turned out once they got in)

Does PGI honestly expect the community to coach every new player that wants to get into FP?

#7 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:48 PM

Xaat, what time zone are you in?

#8 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:49 PM

There are so many problems with FP, which is why I never play it. I tried it, and I occassionally go back to it after PGI makes some changes, but it's just a whole lot of meh.

#9 Keltan

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:39 AM

What's weird is being in FP matches with less communication than QP. Totally silent coms in FP, people chattering away in QP. Just don't get it.

#10 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:00 AM

While the event is filling the queues, the match quality drops significantly.
I've seen some potatoe t6 underhive quality gameplay the last few days i would have tought to be close to impossible.
I'm not talking about skill level or how to build a proper mech, players come in all colors, some are new some or old, some good some bad. np there.

What really stuns me is that there are folks out there who do not have the slightest clue where their own weapons are mounted.
People who literally can not tell right and left apart.
People who charge solo into the enemy lines 4 times in a row, doing an average of 6,5 damage per mech.
People who're telling each and every move to the enemy in global.
Teamkills, team damage and a total disregard for friendly fire.
Granted, not every match but the frequency is raising on a critial level.

Add: and no, i previously thought it would be rather new players for whom 2 mechbays with two champion level assaults must be pretty darn appealing.
Potato level gameplay is often presented by hero or preorder mech decks. So we can't really blame it on the inexperience of new players.

Edited by Toha Heavy Industries, 15 September 2016 - 08:26 AM.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:19 AM

I always wondered what pgi was thinking putting the gens under ECM.

And why they aren't using very basic methods to place about half a dozen possible locations for each gen and turret and then have the server decide which arrangement to use so that there is some potential surprise even without ECM for turrets and generators.

But one thing I know for sure is pgi has a great art team. What they lack is a good programing team. They used to contract that and animations out and I suspect they still do. So as basic as that would be for map design there's a good chance they wouldn't even think of it or know how to do it.

Edited by Koniving, 13 September 2016 - 07:25 AM.

#12 Baulven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 984 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:47 AM

View PostXaat Xuun, on 12 September 2016 - 09:29 PM, said:

I'm going to guess it's that way because of the Event ?

I don't see any team cooperation, no different then Quick play. Can be a good one every once in a while, but for the most part, a lot of glory hounds, solo playing self satisfying Pilots.

No gratitude's for helping others. It's very rare when there is, maybe one in 50 games might here one.

Now I am having fun, when I get in a half decent team, (or better), but some times of the day, it's filled with Hemorrhoid players. being I'm playing Clan Loyalist, I certainly don't see them, no real Clan blood, just some wanna-be's
There's more fighting among themselves then against the enemy in the Matches.

Hope it clears up after the event Posted Image

They made an event with purely selfish driven objectives. The gameplay is going to tank because of that.

#13 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:29 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 12 September 2016 - 11:07 PM, said:

if you jump in with a bunch of aimless pugs, then why would FP be any different than quick play?

Sure, it might last a little longer, but not a big difference.

If anything, it is probably a whole lot worse when you get 12 people together that do not know what they are doing.

Frankly, I blame PGI for that. There is a lot of nuance and different tactics and strategies that apply to FP and PGI has ZERO guidance on what they are.

PGI does not even have a vid or page that fully explains the basic mechanics of FP.

Hell, during one of the last FP events I got paired AGAINST a 12 man that did not know how to shoot down the gate generators to get inside the base. We pretty much had to give them instructions via all chat. (btw, feel free to guess how the match turned out once they got in)

Does PGI honestly expect the community to coach every new player that wants to get into FP?

There is some difference to say there is a different kind of PUG, in QP, most all they know is shoot the enemy, and don't know they need to capture, they play all modes the same, as a Skirmish , in FP, you have to do more then just kill the enemy, well before you can reach the enemy that is, unless you're Defending.
what I'm seeing is that same mentality of just skirmish, do nothing else, self serving not working for the team, the team works for me attitudes. No Goal for the team, just their own

a map that can have a bunch of "different tactics and strategies", I welcome, it's my kind of game, when there is just one tactic and strategy, I'm bored and go else where.
Linear tactics are dull, it becomes just a first to reach point "A" wins, that's the only Strategy. This happens a lot in QP

It wasn't till my 3rd or 4th FP match till I learned how to open the gates, still took me a couple more to find the locations I needed to be in to do so. in my very first match was told to go open a gate, I asked how, and this was my first FP , "crickets"
I agree, would be nice to explain what needs to be done, to open the gates . . I had no idea what the team was shooting at, I'm shooting the walls and gate doors, Because I figured maybe that's what others were doing, no one said to shoot the generator, even after I asked Posted Image
like I said it wasn't till my 3rd match before I figured that out by observing what others were doing.

#14 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:38 PM

View PostJingseng, on 12 September 2016 - 11:48 PM, said:

Xaat, what time zone are you in?

NA, but late, times I'm on are between NA/OC, more into OC, kinda, getting on when NA goes to bed, and going to bed, when OC is just getting going
but
I can be on a few hours earlier, if known in advance of the time

View Postmailin, on 12 September 2016 - 11:49 PM, said:

There are so many problems with FP, which is why I never play it. I tried it, and I occassionally go back to it after PGI makes some changes, but it's just a whole lot of meh.

what kind of Problems ? Game mechanics ? Objectives ? Players ?

#15 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:47 PM

View PostKeltan, on 13 September 2016 - 04:39 AM, said:

What's weird is being in FP matches with less communication than QP. Totally silent coms in FP, people chattering away in QP. Just don't get it.

I believe, that has to be, that in FP and some QP, they are already in Group using other VOIP, this can cause problems in communication with rest of the team, that are not on the same VOIP. I see this same thing in OP, but not as bad as in FP. In FP it's bad.
if they can use both their own VOIP and in game VOIP, then shouldn't be a problem, but they if choose not to use ingame, which is a problem for those not in their VOIP

I find those that just use chat a problem, since I'm looking for targets not chat, and will miss calls, not to mention, the chat window does not stay open

#16 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:02 PM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 13 September 2016 - 05:00 AM, said:

While the events is filling the queues, the match quality drops significantly. I've seen some potatoe t6 underhive quality gameplay the last few days i would have tought to be close to impossible. I'm not talking about skill level or how to build a proper mech, players come in all colors, some are new some or old, some good some bad. np there. What really stuns me is that there are folks out there who do not have the slightest clue where their own weapons are mounted. People who literally can not tell right and left apart. People who charge solo into the enemy lines 4 times in a row, doing an average of 6,5 damage per mech. People who're telling each and every move to the enemy in global. Teamkills, team damage and a total disregard for friendly fire. Granted, not every match but the frequency is raising on a critial level. Add: and no, i previously thought it would be rather new players for whom 2 mechbays with zwo champion level assaults must be pretty darn appealing. Potato level gameplay is often presented by hero or preorder mech decks. So we can't really blame it on the inexperience of new players.

for the first time I'm guilty of intentionally shooting team.
they call to rush/push was given and 2 teammates weren't rushing, but blocking the line to take to rush, I said out of the way and follow, they blocked again, I just pulled the trigger on them as I plowed through them, was getting PO'd of those that just don't know what Rush means, passing opportunity to do a push, and allowing the enemy to reinforce.

LOL .OMG . . the left right thing, . . I see a lot of that, someone sez right . . so I'm looking right, or going right, look on radar, and a WTH, everything is left.

#17 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:43 PM

View PostXaat Xuun, on 13 September 2016 - 01:47 PM, said:

I believe, that has to be, that in FP and some QP, they are already in Group using other VOIP, this can cause problems in communication with rest of the team, that are not on the same VOIP. I see this same thing in OP, but not as bad as in FP. In FP it's bad. if they can use both their own VOIP and in game VOIP, then shouldn't be a problem, but they if choose not to use ingame, which is a problem for those not in their VOIP I find those that just use chat a problem, since I'm looking for targets not chat, and will miss calls, not to mention, the chat window does not stay open

Back when I was a Loyalist, I was going to try to set up a TeamSpeak channels for us pugs. But you cannot even put a link into this lame freaking chat.

#18 Keltan

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:43 PM

View PostXaat Xuun, on 13 September 2016 - 01:47 PM, said:

I believe, that has to be, that in FP and some QP, they are already in Group using other VOIP, this can cause problems in communication with rest of the team, that are not on the same VOIP. I see this same thing in OP, but not as bad as in FP. In FP it's bad.
if they can use both their own VOIP and in game VOIP, then shouldn't be a problem, but they if choose not to use ingame, which is a problem for those not in their VOIP

I find those that just use chat a problem, since I'm looking for targets not chat, and will miss calls, not to mention, the chat window does not stay open

So your saying in FP, the units are in their own servers (TS or whatever the kids use today)? I guess that makes sense. I play in solo QP, so no groups there.

These posts sort of reassure me. I've had some really bad matches, total ROFLStomps. I was starting to think the event was a Turkey Shoot offered to the regular FP guys, ie, give the Tier 1-2 pilots a chance to pummel the Tier 5s. But I guess there are a lot of bad teams out there and I just haven't played enough matches for the odds to even out and get a good team.

Though I do see the same names on my FP teams over and over. Starting to wonder if the queue remembers players and I've been stuck in some sort of scrub pool, so I'll never get onto a team with the Beautiful People.

Still, the event has revealed real gaps in my play. I do stuff that seems to work in QP, but get slaughtered. Other times, nothing I do is right. Poke out, get hit by four mechs. Move to another place, poke out get hit by four mechs. How can they be so consistently ready for me? Kind of discouraging, over two months playing and just don't seem to get better.

#19 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:49 PM

did you look, they might have a UAV up, need to shoot those down.

my problem is getting in teams that don't push, I end up being the only pusher when push is called. the other day was ina team that knew how to push . . I was in heaven, since I didn't have to be the point, and be the only one taking damage. and it was a quick and swift win

View PostKeltan, on 13 September 2016 - 04:43 PM, said:

So your saying in FP, the units are in their own servers (TS or whatever the kids use today)? I guess that makes sense. I play in solo QP, so no groups there.

These posts sort of reassure me. I've had some really bad matches, total ROFLStomps. I was starting to think the event was a Turkey Shoot offered to the regular FP guys, ie, give the Tier 1-2 pilots a chance to pummel the Tier 5s. But I guess there are a lot of bad teams out there and I just haven't played enough matches for the odds to even out and get a good team.

Though I do see the same names on my FP teams over and over. Starting to wonder if the queue remembers players and I've been stuck in some sort of scrub pool, so I'll never get onto a team with the Beautiful People.

Still, the event has revealed real gaps in my play. I do stuff that seems to work in QP, but get slaughtered. Other times, nothing I do is right. Poke out, get hit by four mechs. Move to another place, poke out get hit by four mechs. How can they be so consistently ready for me? Kind of discouraging, over two months playing and just don't seem to get better.

and yes, some groups use their own VOIP, I have no problems with that, as long as they can also use the Game VOIP, If they can't, then you're on your own, don't count on them helping, but can count on them to work together with them selves
It sucks for the rest of the team for sure.

was in one match the player was so into getting kills, all we needed was kill the Omega, but they ignored the calls to kill the omega, and just kept running around trying to get kills.
normally don't call one person or 2 for the defeat message, but in that case . . it was, the one person that could had won the game, failed, because they was after a personal score and not a win

Edited by Xaat Xuun, 13 September 2016 - 07:00 PM.

#20 Firewing2

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:31 PM

As someone who never played faction play before this weekend (only been playing 3 weeks or so...) I like the event. Sure, I had no idea what was going on the first drop, but figuring out the turret/gate/generator mechanic was just a matter of watching what was going on the first time around.

Usually I get at least one person with a headset in a match (I have one, but I'm certainly not leading, just calling out what I see) though as often as not people just ignore that person and do their own things. Sometimes I'm lucky to be on the side of an 8 or 10 man team who carry me, sometimes I'm on the side of the team getting their face kicked in by a 12 man comp merc group (why do all these guys' names start with the same 4 letters?).

And every now and again I've been in a PUG that's done well. Plenty of competitive matches along the way, but the 4 rounds of mechs means that if one team starts to gain the upper hand, reversing momentum is difficult. I've had no problem forming groups with random people I like in a match though, and ran most of my scouting missions with the same 3 people.

Are there people who screw it up by running off on their own and turning it into a 3 v 4 brawl... or are just farming intel, not caring about winning? Sure. And I agree that it would be better if everyone had a headset and agreed to work as a team.

That's true of every game type everywhere. The jackass in an Atlas playing Leroy Jenkins in QP is just as detrimental (though you're stuck with him for half as long, and it's annoying if you waited 15 mins to get a match in the first place) but the rewards for victory are significantly higher too, so I don't mind.

Plus I like free stuff... so having objectives to keep an I out for is fun. (I just need to KMDD some more lights for a free Executioner... Hereee Raven, Raven, Raven)

At the end of the day, I think anyone can find something to complain about if you want to. I've had no serious programming glitches other than the occasional lobby DC that I had to relaunch and rejoin... and the art is great, and it's a lot of fun to unload mech weapons into mechs... the FP has added a new-ish dimension, and some new maps, so I like it, and I didn't need a tutorial to understand how objectives worked after my 1st drop on each type of objective...

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users