Is A One Second Difference Enough?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Livaria

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:58 PM

When it comes to power draw I've noticed that the power gauge fills very quickly. It currently means that even if I fire an AC/20 and two medium lasers. I only need to wait a single second before I can shoot two large lasers and avoid the heat penalty. It may not be an alpha strike, but it's pretty close

My concern is that the energy regen rate might be too fast. A one second difference doesn't sound like enough time for players to protect themselves against damage.

Edited by Livaria, 14 September 2016 - 12:22 PM.

#2 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:24 AM

View PostLivaria, on 13 September 2016 - 11:58 PM, said:

When it comes to power draw I've noticed that the power gauge fills very quickly. It currently means that even if I fire an AC/20 and two medium lasers. I only need to wait a single second before I can shoot two large lasers and avoid the heat penalty. It may not be an alpha strike, but it's pretty close

My concern is that the energy regen rate might be too fast. A one second difference doesn't sound like enough time for players to protect themselves against damage.

I disagree and feel it refills too slowly. In live one can fire the cap of MLs or LLs and a half second later fire that same cap again. This is 3x what live is set at already.

In live a mixed weapon brawling atlas can fire all of its weapons and twist away. With ED one has to wait atleast a second between weapon types and even then still incurs a penalty. I would be happy with a 1 second refill if I am going to be forced to use ED.

#3 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:28 AM

Yes, yes it is.

You can twist an impressive amount in a second, as long as your robot isn't Potato certified.

#4 Livaria

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 405 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:25 AM

Ehh. you can say that, but we're talking a lot of mechs and players here. Some won't torso twist as fast.

What's the average speed a mech can torso twist? What's the average speed a human player can react in time? What about situations where you wouldn't normally torso twist? I think these questions should take some serious thought.

Edited by Livaria, 14 September 2016 - 12:26 PM.

#5 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:00 PM

ED recovers at something obscene rate. It's like 10 energy/sec or something? So that means it recovers within 3 seconds even if you max it out w/o going over.

The thing was that in MW2 that this is based on, the penalty was gradual as in the more you fired, the heat generated was more cumulative until you stopped firing for a period. Since the MWO version is so aggressive, the penalty is relatively harmless to most dakka weapons (not that it would help/hurt the insta-refire Clan Ultra ACs in MW2 either) and noone with a sane mind would try to fire two different laser volleys without exposing themselves to significant amount of return fire. This would still be rather optimal for the older PPC-Gauss types of builds (take the small penalty and wait it out), but laser fire is not ever a sustainable proposition (with or w/o ED).

Edited by Deathlike, 14 September 2016 - 12:01 PM.

#6 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:41 PM

It's 20 energy replenished every second. Meaning you get the full 30 back in 1.5 seconds.
And it's fine.

#7 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 14 September 2016 - 01:41 PM, said:

It's 20 energy replenished every second. Meaning you get the full 30 back in 1.5 seconds.
And it's fine.

I'd like to try a PTS with a slower energy regeneration rate. Maybe 5 or 10 Energy Per Second.

#8 davoodoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:52 PM

Youre online pc gamer and you ask if 1 second is alot of time??

#9 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:15 PM

View PostLivaria, on 14 September 2016 - 11:25 AM, said:

Ehh. you can say that, but we're talking a lot of mechs and players here. Some won't torso twist as fast.

Im just going to throw this out there.. maybe it's a good thing when it is possible for some players to be better than others?

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 14 September 2016 - 02:15 PM.

#10 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:08 PM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 14 September 2016 - 02:15 PM, said:

Im just going to throw this out there.. maybe it's a good thing when it is possible for some players to be better than others?

*throws rotten food at Widowmaker*

#11 Sable

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 924 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:55 PM

I thought the energy refill rate was too fast at first too. But if it's too slow then people will always ALWAYS be going over the energy limit to squeeze off as much damage as possible at once. But since the energy draw is fairly fast it's a lot more encouraging to simply split your alphas into smaller groups and fire in succession, thus getting the desired effect of reduced alphas while not limiting the total amount of weapons you can use effectively.

#12 Livaria

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:59 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 14 September 2016 - 02:15 PM, said:

And it still can be possible, just more accessible to more players. There is supposed to be some degree of teamplay in MWO after all. It'll just be less reflexes and more timing.

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 14 September 2016 - 01:41 PM, said:

And it's fine.

Players don't have to wait for the energy bar to recharge fully. If players really want to get in as much damage as quickly as possible; they will fire their second weapon group during the exact moment where they have enough energy. That is less than 1.5 seconds.

View Postdavoodoo, on 14 September 2016 - 01:52 PM, said:

Youre online pc gamer and you ask if 1 second is alot of time??

Being a PC gamer has nothing to do with time.

View PostSable, on 14 September 2016 - 04:55 PM, said:

I thought the energy refill rate was too fast at first too. But if it's too slow then people will always ALWAYS be going over the energy limit to squeeze off as much damage as possible at once. But since the energy draw is fairly fast it's a lot more encouraging to simply split your alphas into smaller groups and fire in succession, thus getting the desired effect of reduced alphas while not limiting the total amount of weapons you can use effectively.

I want to make sure that the desired effect is not only achieved; but does it do it's job well enough to significantly affect gameplay. This topic isn't just limited by just torso twist speed, but other factors such as:

- Acceleration and deceleration,
- Mech Turn rate
- Torso yaw angle
- Maximum speed

If there is a lack of most of these things (Including twist speed), then the incoming damage that a player gets, may very well be indiscernible from a full alpha if there is only one second.

And if we're going to talk about TTK...

What about DPS builds that probably need more face time and can't defend themselves during that time? Or perhaps vice versa when there is so much DPS that if a mech takes a few seconds to withstand a constant stream of UAC/5s then a mech is going to be downed very quickly.

Will the ED solve any of this If energy regenerates this quickly? I hope you get what I'm saying here.

Edited by Livaria, 15 September 2016 - 03:32 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users