Do You Want Better Jump Jets In Mwo?

22 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want better height from jump-jets? (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want better height from jump-jets?

1. Yes (32 votes [88.89%])

Percentage of vote: 88.89%

2. No (4 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:41 AM

MWO's jump-jets do not work well enough to be called jump-jets until you get below the 50 ton range, even then they are sub-par. Hover jets is a better description because the larger mechs certainly do not jump.

I realize the reason MWO virtually removed jump-jets was to curb pop-tarting, but there must be a better way to do that. Jump-jets come at great expense to the mechs in terms of critical slots and weight so they need to at least confer high mobility options. The lower the weight, the higher the mobility. Right now you might as well just add one because adding 5 or 6 does no more than add a hover ability. Mechs should be jumping to 2 to 3 mech heights minimum. Look at the intro video of the Kodiak from MW2.

MWO doesn't have collisions yet, but the DFA maneuver is classic Battle Tech at it's best. But mechs have to jump to at least 2 mech heights to attempt it. So a good rule of thumb on the height of mech jumps in average mech height would be 2 for assaults, 3-3.5 for heavies, 4 to 4.5 for mediums, 5-6 for lights. Right now in a 70 ton heavy with 5 jump-jets you can't even jump to the mid level plateaus in Viridian Bog and that should be easy.

So lets vote for at least better jump-jets, how much better we can't tell, but better than the current ones.

#2 Hoffenstein

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 368 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:46 AM

Only if they implement reticle shake when dropping as well as rising.

#3 Tibbnak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 379 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:30 AM

Also would like to use them to quick turn and go forwards/backwards instead of up, as was their original design intent in battletech. Jump jets could, but really weren't made to go straight up.

Edited by Tibbnak, 27 September 2016 - 10:30 AM.

#4 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:09 AM

Yeah, Everything but the ShadowCat appears to have taken too much JumpJet Nerfing. Assaults can't jump unless they're right up against a wall at maximum speed, Heavies have almost the same grade of trouble, and most Mediums/Lights don't seem to get enough of a lift. JumpJets could use a boost all-around, as well as being mountable on more Mechs, possibly including moving like in the old "MechWarrior 2" game. I'll support this idea. B)

~D. V. "Definitely would enjoy more JumpJet in MWO, and on more Mechs..." Devnull

#5 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:38 PM

as much as i love the idea i cant see it happening.
Highlander and Victor were condemned to eternal nerfing along with JJ's for the whole 'pop tart' meta.

#6 Nighthawk513

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 234 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:47 PM

Highlander burial. Enough said.

#7 Tibbnak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 379 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:59 PM

Yeah highlanders literally created the death from above tactic with their jumping on mech heads. Now they can barely go up ontop of a small shack.

#8 Tibbnak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 379 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:30 PM

What if you could hold a key that caused your jump jet direction to change with wasd? Like, without the key you just go straight up, but with the key you can use wasd to go forward or back or side to side or diag or whatever, hold space at the same time to go up slower while going a direction slower.
Have bindable keys that straight do it without holding a key so you can bind them to a joystick hat.

#9 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:55 AM

View PostTibbnak, on 27 September 2016 - 10:30 AM, said:

Also would like to use them to quick turn and go forwards/backwards instead of up, as was their original design intent in battletech. Jump jets could, but really weren't made to go straight up.

Directional jump-jets are cool. Had those in MechWarrior 3. heh, I remember if you got the Daishi to 51 kph, going up an incline and hit the jump-jets it would take-off and fly around the map (bug).

Edited by Lightfoot, 28 September 2016 - 10:55 AM.

#10 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:53 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 28 September 2016 - 10:55 AM, said:

<<<snip>>>

Directional jump-jets are cool. Had those in MechWarrior 3. heh, I remember if you got the Daishi to 51 kph, going up an incline and hit the jump-jets it would take-off and fly around the map (bug).

"MechWarrior 3"s JumpJets were not as directional as those in "MechWarrior 2". You could literally go lateral in MW2, where MW3 only allowed you to go at an upward incline in a particular direction. :huh:

As for speed, compared to "MechWarrior 2", 51 kph is a mere joke. Imagine being able to travel at least 150 kph horizontally in midair, with only mere brief JJ pulses once at that velocity to maintain speed and height. B)

~D. V. "One who knows Real Speed & Movement with JumpJets..." Devnull

#11 Tibbnak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 379 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:17 PM

did u know that gargoyles could fly?

#12 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 06:45 AM

View PostTibbnak, on 29 September 2016 - 06:17 PM, said:

<<<video from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8llwZXGu4Q>>>

did u know that gargoyles could fly?

Back in MW2, pretty much anything could, given enough jumpjet usage. :P

~D. V. "And it was very enjoyable..." Devnull

#13 Tibbnak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 379 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:01 PM

Yeah. I think that if they increased yaw angles across the board, then kept the jumpjet heat dissipation debuff but let jumpjets regen midair and doubled jumpjet power, the game would be a lot more interesting.

#14 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:35 AM

90 percent Yes, but more voting should be allowed. Although I don't think the totals will shift much.

#15 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:34 AM

Been calling for them to be buffed for years, and in recent months there are now poptarts in game that that have better pinpoint damage, than the mechs that caused them to be nerfed in the first place.

The only positive spin I can put on ED going live, is that there will be ZERO reason to not give JJ's back their bounce

#16 GabrielSun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:42 AM

I think we should be able to get higher lift from them, but I also think we should be getting more damage past a certain limit, especially to heavier mech classes. Either that or fall damage goes directly to structure and not to armour first.

#17 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:21 AM

I like the idea to give more controle over your JJ.
Just pressing jump lets you go straight up. Pressing WASD in addition lets you move into the specific direction.

#18 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:15 AM

Seen a bunch of poptarts pop up lately, would be nice if there was some way to buff JJs while making the poptart playstyle less viable at the same time.

#19 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:49 AM

Make jumping highly unaccurate?
I mean don't just shacke the crosshair a little bit, make people miss targets. When it comes down to luck, as it should be, then Jumping becomes a thing of mobility and we can finaly have the advanced mobility a JJ would give.

Edited by Nesutizale, 10 May 2017 - 07:51 AM.

#20 GI Journalist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Major
  • Senior Major
  • 595 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:16 PM

When 20 to 100 tons of metal plunges out of the sky, anything underneath it ought to be in a world of hurt.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users