#21 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:57 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 16 September 2016 - 05:51 AM, said:

ANYWAY, we are in the canyons and this Direwolf Pilot start the "hold the locks for me" crap. And I'm really tired of getting my torso shot off trying to stay in the open and get and hold a lock for someone 600ms back of me.

I profess to be an LRM user. You are right, the way he was trying to use those LRMs are the worst way to use LRMs, and also very selfish of him.

When I use LRMs, I'll try to get my own locks. Teammates getting locks are also very nice, however I will never ask for a teammate to die so I can deal a little more damage. Your (as a teammate) survival is more important than the damage I could deal by a lock. Over the long run, we would deal more damage together if we can survive.

I see it as, if you can get and hold a lock, great. If you have to break a lock to run and survive because they are shooting at you, do so. I also try to get my own locks whenever possible, if the team needs me to. (There are some games where I don't have to get a single lock of my own, and other games where I have to get all my own locks.)

Grey may mean shut down? I know gold means they disconnected, but then you'll get a message in the text chat saying he disconnected. Honestly, if that player did hide in a corner and shut down, I'd report them for non-participation... If they are active and at least looking like they are trying to do something, than they are safe from my reports. (Or if they disconnect and it appears it was not intentional.)

But yeah, as another note, just being down a single player is a huge disadvantage. In a normal game, that's about 200 damage missing (about the average damage per game per player, roughly). Two disconnects? About 400 damage, as about as much armor missing too (they aren't taking hits for your team, pulling fire). Basically, you had three disconnects in that match... Chances of success was... slim at best that match. Sounded like you and your team did the best they could given the situation.

#22 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,959 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:38 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 15 September 2016 - 01:44 PM, said:

So in other words, the Targeting Info Module is basically a waste of space...

Nah, I use it all the time, particularly when I have a third 'mech module slot available. The faster availability of "where do I shoot this guy" information is very helpful for a brawler, for example. It's just that it does nothing for an LRM 'mech build.

#23 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,959 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:41 AM

An LRM boat who knows what he's doing is the four-leaf clover of Mechwarrior Online. "LRM boat here, please hold locks," is basically a paraphrase of saying, "I'm going to be useless, and I don't know how to use my LRMs!" Optimal engagement range for LRMs is about 300m; and any good LRM user knows that they're going to need to get their own locks - and why their teammates don't just "hold locks" on the battlefield. Ignore these "hold lock" requests, and play normally.

#24 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:59 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 16 September 2016 - 10:41 AM, said:

Ignore these "hold lock" requests, and play normally.

If I'm not using LRMs and I hear a request to hold locks (or just an announcement of "I have LRMs, so you know"), than I will make some effort to hold a lock if I can. However, I'm not going to get myself eliminated to hold a lock either.

But, in other words... Yeah. Agreed. Just play normally for the most part.

#25 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:13 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 15 September 2016 - 01:44 PM, said:

So in other words, the Targeting Info Module is basically a waste of space...Fair enough, thanks for the info. My bad! When you only have two Module slots, mounting this is simply a mistake unless you have nothing else.
Woah there cowboy. The Target Info module is one of the best modules. It's largely useless for a lurming/streakboat build, but it's very valuable for literally everyone else. Knowing your target has a cherry red leg before you fire for the well armoured CT is basically a free win in a fight. Or knowing that XL packing mech's left torso is vulnerable, before you shoot for the armored RT.

Getting your target info faster is extremely valuable, and is very often the key to quickly killing or disabling your opposition. The faster you kill/disable, the less damage you take and the better off you are for your next engagement.

Thats what takes you from being a 1.0 KDR player further up as you're better able to handle subsequent engagements.

#26 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:17 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 16 September 2016 - 10:41 AM, said:

An LRM boat who knows what he's doing is the four-leaf clover of Mechwarrior Online. "LRM boat here, please hold locks," is basically a paraphrase of saying, "I'm going to be useless, and I don't know how to use my LRMs!" Optimal engagement range for LRMs is about 300m; and any good LRM user knows that they're going to need to get their own locks - and why their teammates don't just "hold locks" on the battlefield. Ignore these "hold lock" requests, and play normally.
This is why my single most successful LRM mech is my 5ersl/lrm35 Mad Dog. Always engage around 200-250m, then you're pushing a very heat efficient 20+DPS. That tears **** up fast. It's never hiding in the back, though, it's right up there with your brawlers.

I just love pairing up win an Atlas, as I can fire LRM's over him at very close range, peek out to fire the ersl's, have his target suffer 100% cockpit shake making it harder for them to isolate his RT... Wrecks stuff. If we've equal numbers, I basically stunlock one guy with LRM's up close while focusing my lasers on whoever the AS7 is fighting. Extremely effective.

#27 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:35 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 16 September 2016 - 05:51 AM, said:

Last night was a perfect example of the many things I complain about....Posted Image

I only play about 3-5 matches a day and last night I thought my mouse was going crazy and then I realized it was just my hand shaking. In two weeks I'm supposed to get my surgery date and I cannot wait!

ANYWAY, we are in the canyons and this Direwolf Pilot start the "hold the locks for me" crap. And I'm really tired of getting my torso shot off trying to stay in the open and get and hold a lock for someone 600ms back of me.

So like I always do, I tell him, you need to get your own locks, you need to use a TAG, you need to only fires LRMs within 600ms etc. And 3-4 others also chime in with the same and he kind of complains that he cannot use them without help.

So the battle starts and we have two disconnects....great....They really push but we are hitting them hard but wow, there are a lot of them. I check and we are down 2. Then I look at my map and that Direwolf has moved in the far corner where the base wold be if it was assault.Something like 800 plus meters behind us at least. I'm like WTF? and two others tell him to get into the fight. So we were paying our 9 against their 12. And we are getting beat because as you all know, a difference like that can often simply turn the game against you. Then the Direwolf goes "gray" and someone said, he went AFK! (I'm not sure what gray means really). I kill one mech while fight 3 and I die from behind.

PUG life, what can I say.....Posted Image

just curious . . are you mainly playing Quick play ?

when they had that event for narcs and such I decided to give it a shot, by second day I quit NARCing and Tagging, I called the target, Narc and some tagged, they start, then someone does target spotted, and they stop firing, I lose my protection because everyone is trying to LRM as locust, while I'm knee deep in assaults and Heavies, keeping them lit up . . I said screw it, you have LRM's you lock your own targets.

#28 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:14 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 16 September 2016 - 10:38 AM, said:

Nah, I use it all the time, particularly when I have a third 'mech module slot available. The faster availability of "where do I shoot this guy" information is very helpful for a brawler, for example. It's just that it does nothing for an LRM 'mech build.

I do not know all the mechs so the only Mech I know that has 3 is the Locust. So since all my other only have two, that is Radar Derp and something and normally, target info is going to lose out.

#29 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:20 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 16 September 2016 - 11:13 AM, said:

Woah there cowboy. The Target Info module is one of the best modules. It's largely useless for a lurming/streakboat build, but it's very valuable for literally everyone else. Knowing your target has a cherry red leg before you fire for the well armoured CT is basically a free win in a fight. Or knowing that XL packing mech's left torso is vulnerable, before you shoot for the armored RT. Getting your target info faster is extremely valuable, and is very often the key to quickly killing or disabling your opposition. The faster you kill/disable, the less damage you take and the better off you are for your next engagement. Thats what takes you from being a 1.0 KDR player further up as you're better able to handle subsequent engagements.

Well, if I'm short range I go with Radar Derp and Seismic. If I'm long range I have to go with Zoom because of my poor eyesight. If I'm in an ECM mech, I might go without the radar derp. Right now because of my hands i'm only doing a few QP pug matches a day.

From time to time I hear people calling certain areas, but it is often at the end of a match and often, those people calling are dead, lol.

But I do get your point. Posted Image

#30 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,959 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:22 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 16 September 2016 - 02:14 PM, said:

I do not know all the mechs so the only Mech I know that has 3 is the Locust. So since all my other only have two, that is Radar Derp and something and normally, target info is going to lose out.

Sure; my Locust is the same - Radar Deprivation and Advanced Seismic Sensor are my modules for that chassis - even on my Pirates' Bane.

#31 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:32 PM

View PostXaat Xuun, on 16 September 2016 - 01:35 PM, said:

just curious . . are you mainly playing Quick play ?

Yea..this will be the first event and first faction event I could not do. And the stars aligned a little for my unit. We are supposed to switch from IS to Clan tonight I think so it would be possible to do both. I know a few that are planning on it...

I'm trying not to stress, they will be others.

Funny thing is that I still have a Pavlov response to "Call of Arms", lol But I'm slowly getting over it.

Right now I'm trying to play for like 3-5 victories a day and try to get the "first victory of the day" bonus.

Geez, I have one Heavy, 3 mediums and 4 lights to master..... :(

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 16 September 2016 - 02:35 PM.

#32 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:36 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 16 September 2016 - 02:22 PM, said:

Sure; my Locust is the same - Radar Deprivation and Advanced Seismic Sensor are my modules for that chassis - even on my Pirates' Bane.

I just saw that my BlackJacks also have 3 Mech but only 2 weapon slots.

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 16 September 2016 - 02:37 PM.

#33 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:37 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 16 September 2016 - 02:14 PM, said:

Also, you get a general purpose module slot when you Master the variant. You can use a weapon module or pilot skill module there, but you'll generally get more bang for the space with a Pilot module, unless you are trying to sync up cooldowns or really want 3 weapon modules. Target Info gathering is great, and you can "test" it out by using something like the BAP or Command Console to get that info quicker. You'll be using slots and tonnage, so it's inferior in a way, but you will get a sense of what benefit you can get from getting the Info quicker.

It's not just limited to enemy HP either, you will get their loadout info quicker as well, so you can tell which weapons are left and how many there are. It has saved my bacon before, targeting a mech in a melee and deciding to keep to a certain range to make them less effective. I've also used faster Info to realize one of their torsos is already cherry red and getting a quick shot off to take out some weapons or disable them completely.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users