- - - - -

First Time Playing And Need Advice On New Mech

19 replies to this topic

#1 BastillaShan

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:43 AM

I just started playing this awesome game, but i'm concerned about what my first mech should be. I've fiddled around with the Kodiak in Smurfy's mechlab and came up with this build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...75622724fd118c5

Is this any good? Or what mech would be good for me to start out in?

#2 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:10 PM

View PostBastillaShan, on 15 September 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

I just started playing this awesome game, but i'm concerned about what my first mech should be. I've fiddled around with the Kodiak in Smurfy's mechlab and came up with this build:

I can honestly tell you, that that mech will run way too hot. And while The kodiak is a really good mech, I would like to suggest that you play trial mechs and find out for yourself what mech weight group you like best first before buying into a mech.

Take your time and really figure out what weight class your affinity is towards! After you find your way, we can help you min/max a mech for you

May the force be with you!

Edit: adding in a shameless advertisement for my favorite mech... Battlemaster love for life!!!

Edited by Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, 15 September 2016 - 12:11 PM.

#3 BastillaShan

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:13 PM

I have been playing a few matches here and there. Honestly i'm a huge fan of the heavies, and the Battlemaster Trial mech. The timberwolf has a good layout while the Ebon jag is versatile with it's pulse and gauss...so i'd have to say a heavy mech would do nicely ^^

#4 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:16 PM

View PostBastillaShan, on 15 September 2016 - 12:13 PM, said:

I have been playing a few matches here and there. Honestly i'm a huge fan of the heavies, and the Battlemaster Trial mech. The timberwolf has a good layout while the Ebon jag is versatile with it's pulse and gauss...so i'd have to say a heavy mech would do nicely ^^

Stop! You had me at Battlemaster! Now let me link a page to you for your reading enjoyment!

http://metamechs.com...s/battlemaster/

There are other links scattered within metamechs if you want to read up on timber wolves and ebon jags!

This website is hosted by one of the best players in the game and is a great site for research! Enjoy!

Edit: also let me state why you kodiak will run too hot...

The following is an explination of clan ghost heat weapon penalties.

If you fire more then 2 of any combination of any type of clan Large classification Lasers (C-Er Large Laser or C-Large Pulse Lasers) simultaneously (or within a 0.49 second window), you will incure increased heat penalties.

(Innner Sphere can fire upto 3 Large Laser class weapons).

Also if you fire more then 6 Clan ER Medium lasers simultaneously (or within a 0.49 second window), you will incure increased heat penalties.

When you combine this with the fact that clan energy weapons naturally run hot, managing heat will be very difficult.

Edited by Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, 15 September 2016 - 12:23 PM.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:39 PM

Welcome to MWO.

I have a little over 200 mechs and played since 2012.

Most recommend a minimum cooling efficiency of 35, I would insist on closer to 45% or higher.

This said it isn't necessary to use every single Hardpoint on a mech, keep the weapons simple and easy to use. Aim for two firing groups or less.

Also wait until you play at least 25 matches (your name will stop being blue), this way you have a decent chunk of change to get your mech with. Many would say longer than this.

Lastly, I do not know if you have battletech experience but weapons here shoot three to 19 times faster than tabletop, and that is a lot of heat; you will need more heatsinks here than ever needed in any battletech or Mechwarrior game in history. So keep that in mind.

#6 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:42 PM

Welcome to MWO!

Now to start out, yes the Kodiak is a good mech, the go-to unit for most comp level players for the Kodiak is the third variant as it can do some very mean things with Ultra class AC/s....

For starting out how ever, I would honestly suggest buying Hunchbacks, as they are wonderful teachers of gunnery and using a shield side, this is extremely important on the Hunchback 4G, and there are few mechs that are better at teaching this key game play skill.

On the other hand I strongly recommend Centurions, again a wonderful chassis that has a hard point for just about anything, with the exception of the AL, AH and YLW. The Centurion family are wonderful teachers for getting down torso twisting, as they can spread damage very well, they even come standard with an arm with nothing mounted in it, that can be used as a shield, contently it is actually modeled up to look like it has a shield. Centurions are also one of the few IS (Inner Sphere) mechs that are good with either a standard engine or a IS-XL (Extra Light, IS version can only lose one side torso before you are out of the match, but your engine weighs 50% less)

Another couple of mechs that are great teachers of skills that are fantastic to learn for MWO, even if they are more frustrating to learn with are the Locust (this mech will teach you how not to get hit, as well as map layout. This mech will also make you a good pilot) and the Dragon (it has a large center torso, so it is easy to take out, but learning how to pilot it effectively will make you good at gunnery and piloting at the same time.)

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:44 PM

Also a huge advocate of Hunchbacks, though Battlemasters do make good starting mechs as well.

#8 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:47 PM

I would also recommend Hunchbacks.

You can start with assaults if you really want to but you'd be better off starting with heavies or mediums.

I usually recommend mediums because they are strong enough to make a difference but if you get taken out early its not as big a blow to the team as losing an assault mech early.

Like Koniving said, aim for at least 35% heat efficiency, 40-45% is ideal. If its a pure laser boat it can still run hot at those numbers without proper fire discipline.

What kind of weapons do you want to work with? Its usually best to pick AC's, LRMs, or SRMs and support them with lasers or you can go full laser builds if you want.

Edited by Roughneck45, 15 September 2016 - 01:03 PM.

#9 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:07 PM

STORMCROW!

Why limit yourself?

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:17 PM

Teaches bad habits that are really hard to overcome; if you start out with a stormcrow... basically nothing else is even remotely playable.

#11 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:40 PM

View PostKoniving, on 15 September 2016 - 12:39 PM, said:

Welcome to MWO.

I have a little over 200 mechs and played since 2012.

Most recommend a minimum cooling efficiency of 35, I would insist on closer to 45% or higher.

This said it isn't necessary to use every single Hardpoint on a mech, keep the weapons simple and easy to use. Aim for two firing groups or less.

Also wait until you play at least 25 matches (your name will stop being blue), this way you have a decent chunk of change to get your mech with. Many would say longer than this.

Lastly, I do not know if you have battletech experience but weapons here shoot three to 19 times faster than tabletop, and that is a lot of heat; you will need more heatsinks here than ever needed in any battletech or Mechwarrior game in history. So keep that in mind.

This is probably some of the best advice you will ever get!

#12 BastillaShan

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for all the good advice everyone! I'm looking at the various hunchbacks now and am rather curious on any good builds for them?

#13 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:52 PM

View PostBastillaShan, on 15 September 2016 - 01:47 PM, said:

Thanks for all the good advice everyone! I'm looking at the various hunchbacks now and am rather curious on any good builds for them?

Taken straight from metamechs:

http://metamechs.com...ides/hunchback/

Edit: oh I forgot to say my usual piece of advice!

Lower your ingame mouse sensitivity (if you havent dones so already), because its default setting is near impossible to play with. Drag that bar far far to the left!

As a personal preferance, I run .16~.18 depending on the mech. Thats almost completelly left! Yes 0.16 to 0.18

Edited by Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, 15 September 2016 - 01:56 PM.

#14 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:18 PM

I would suggest something a bit more mobile as a first mech.

An up-engined Hunchback is a good stater chassis. If you can maintain 75-90kph in a medium or heavy you'll have enough mobility to move in a out of trouble easier.

I like to recommend Hunchbacks, Enforcers, and Centurions to new players.

They are hardy, mobile and can kill mechs.

But I am partial to Inner Sphere mechs over Clan mechs.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:25 PM

Nice thing about hunchbacks is there are dozens upon dozens of good builds for them.

Just for a couple of ideas.

#16 ProfPyro

• PipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:14 PM

I would add my welcome to those already listed. I'd recommend going a few rounds in the trial locust so you can see what the fastest sonuvabitch in the game can do. It'll teach you to not get greedy and educate you in the fine art of shoot 'n' scoot. It can be frustrating to not down opponents in one volley, but it will drive home the importance of constant mobility.

Also suggesting this because we need more light pilots. It's not for everybody, but many dismiss them without taking the time to learn them and that's a doggone shame.

#17 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:25 PM

View PostKoniving, on 15 September 2016 - 01:17 PM, said:

Teaches bad habits that are really hard to overcome; if you start out with a stormcrow... basically nothing else is even remotely playable.

O no you did not!

Why, because the Stormcrow is good?

And is this why I can't play anything else?

"remotely playable"...wow. strong words.

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 15 September 2016 - 06:26 PM.

#18 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:38 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 15 September 2016 - 06:25 PM, said:

O no you did not!

The Storm Crows is a very strong Mech, just like the Timber Wolf. Both of them don't force you to over come a weakness, or learn good survival skills, due to the abilities of the Mech making up for flaws in piloting skills.

#19 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,679 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:38 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 15 September 2016 - 06:25 PM, said:

O no you did not!

You said it.... :)

#20 Kali Rinpoche

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:09 PM

View PostKoniving, on 15 September 2016 - 12:44 PM, said:

Also a huge advocate of Hunchbacks, though Battlemasters do make good starting mechs as well.

Words of wisdom from Koni. You can't go wrong with the Hunchback!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users