No Reason To Use C-Lrg Pulse With The Current Ed Stats.

59 replies to this topic

#21 Snowbluff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:14 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 16 September 2016 - 08:17 AM, said:

Ghost heat 2.0 may stick because of reasons, but it isn't very accurate any more because energy draw has a gauge.

Well... that's what it is, isn't it? Ghost heat already seemed to center mostly around 30 damage groupings. This is just Ghost heat but it applies to the whole alpha instead of certain parts of it.

Personally, I welcome it, but I'm not going to say it doesn't remind me of a universal ghost heat.

Edited by Snowbluff, 16 September 2016 - 10:16 AM.

#22 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:29 AM

Didn't they say they are planning on making pulse lasers different by having less cooldown time instead?

#23 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:34 AM

These minor, seemingly arbitrary changes reinforce my opinion that PGI doesn't even have an intent for how the weapons are supposed to function. They're trying to fit these different platforms into a larger ecosystem and balance from the top down, but then they end up with situations where there isn't a material difference between them. How can we hope for new weapons when there isn't a substantial difference between the existing handful?

For example:

Regular lasers: balanced, baseline for all other variants.
ER lasers: extra range in exchange for longer beam time. Same damage, same heat.
Pulse lasers: lower duration in exchange for range. Same damage, same heat.
Clan tech: extra damage in exchange for extra heat. Same range, same duration.

Obviously the numbers have to be massaged, but at least set some hard rules to limit the number of variables.

Edited by process, 16 September 2016 - 10:36 AM.

#24 ScoutMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:35 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 16 September 2016 - 10:29 AM, said:

Didn't they say they are planning on making pulse lasers different by having less cooldown time instead?

Just shows how much PGI know about their own game.

Laser vomit is limited by heat, not by cooldown. Why would you use extra tons and slots for pulse lasers and end up with less heatsinks?

"Hey guys, use pulse lasers; you get less heat efficiency but you have a shorter cooldown!"

This is immensely ********.

#25 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:37 AM

View PostScoutMaster, on 16 September 2016 - 10:35 AM, said:

Laser vomit is limited by heat, not by cooldown. Why would you use extra tons and slots for pulse lasers and end up with less heatsinks?

"Hey guys, use pulse lasers; you get less heat efficiency but you have a shorter cooldown!"

And for a supposed brawling weapon, heat is just as much the enemy as the thing you're shooting at.

#26 Chuck Jager

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:47 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 16 September 2016 - 07:23 AM, said:

You got to remember they're testing . The lpl might not be in this test and they're just watching the cer ll.

This makes way too much sense to me also.

I think that folks just need a reason to scream the sky is falling, except in many games it really is after the nerf/buffs.

#27 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:52 AM

View PostScoutMaster, on 16 September 2016 - 10:35 AM, said:

PGI could in theory do these things to pulses:

1. Reduce upfront damage
2. Reduce reload time (more DPS)
3. Reduce heat (both upfront heat and heat per second)

Then pulses might fit the fantasy PGI is aiming for, similar to pulses in MW4. The issue is that the current PTS4 changes do absolutely nothing to achieve this model.

Edited by FupDup, 16 September 2016 - 10:52 AM.

#28 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:55 AM

Honestly, why does PGI have to nerf everything I love?

Wolfhound (No one in the history of complaining about lights have ever said that wolfhounds are OP, but let's nerf it anyway by making it huge)

Minimap (again, who wanted dorito nerfed? And you honestly can't come up with a more clever way to represent medium and heavy?)

CLPL (why in the world of god damn f did you do this? Why did you do GH 2.0? Just f-ing go back to Beta where you have higher cooldown rate and super low heat ceiling.)

Next thing they gonna put negative quirk on EBJ and I am outta here.

Edited by razenWing, 16 September 2016 - 11:02 AM.

#29 VoodooLou Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 595 posts
  • LocationMember #2618

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:13 AM

It seems to me all that Matters to PGI is that they come up with a game to get into an e-sport niche. I compare MWO to professional Paintball alot. Paintballing with friends still has its roots in actual warfare while Professional Paintballing is 2 teams spraying and praying and a minimal of urban combat tactics (house to house clearing). Well house to house clearing works great until your assaulting a beach or sparse forrest. In friendly paintball someone might try to climb a tree to fire from and there are no designated lanes of travel to cover, unlike pro paintball where you know where the OpFor is coming from.
PGI's idea is to have static loadouts that cover all the ranges and throw them into dynamic situations. Why in the hell else would MG's which in Lore are only on a mech to kill 'soft' targets (Infantry and light to unarmored vehicles) not do extra chance of crits on Mechs. The MG's of lore wouldnt sound like a MaDeuce 50 cal but like the GAU-8 thats on the A-10 Warthog. All this hoopla on the PTS is to get their idea's tested to keep up the appearance that Clan and IS are balanced without just having both sides using identical weapons

#30 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:22 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 16 September 2016 - 08:17 AM, said:

Ghost heat 2.0 may stick because of reasons, but it isn't very accurate any more because energy draw has a gauge.

It still violates the laws of thermo dynamics, so Ghost Heat 2.0 is a very accurate name. The guage is what makes it 2.0.

#31 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:25 AM

In 2012 I freaked out when they cut pulse lasers from 0.8 to 0.6 because of the serious damage advantage as well as making the weapon's feel far too hot for what they are, as well as exploits that could come up and suggested a difference in cooldown.

Now four years later.

#32 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:28 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 16 September 2016 - 07:04 AM, said:

I'm sure the Dartboard of Balance™ will make more regular appearances regardless if GHv2/ED goes live.

Don't you mean "normalization?"

#33 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:28 AM

How are you guys able to find matches on the PTS? I'm logging on at all hours of the day and it's completely dead.

Do you just wait 4-5 hours for enough people to show up? Or do you only play when you've gathered a bunch of people from TeamSpeak servers or whatever?

#34 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:54 AM

View PostScoutMaster, on 16 September 2016 - 06:38 AM, said:

The duration difference between c-erlarge and c-lrgpulse right now is .05 seconds.

The damage difference is 1.

All of that for an extra 2 tons, 1 extra slot and less range?

Am I missing something here?

Yes, the sound effects. Posted Image

#35 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:24 PM

Yes, by making them closer to the live version (remember, PTSv1 started with the global cooldown nerf, in addition to module cooldown nerf).

This is our balance overlord's limited "vision" of DPS.... where the PTS values nearly mirror the live values. Brilliant!

View PostTristan Winter, on 16 September 2016 - 11:28 AM, said:

How are you guys able to find matches on the PTS? I'm logging on at all hours of the day and it's completely dead.

Do you just wait 4-5 hours for enough people to show up? Or do you only play when you've gathered a bunch of people from TeamSpeak servers or whatever?

Um... something? There's Testing Grounds, but I think occasionally people want to group up for this particular effort once in a blue moon.

Then again, I'm busy playing something else after running testing grounds (only once during this awful PTSv4).

#36 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:02 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 16 September 2016 - 12:24 PM, said:

This is our balance overlord's limited "vision" of DPS.... where the PTS values nearly mirror the live values. Brilliant!

[REDACTED]

EDIT: Nah, I'm gonna get in trouble for saying that. Moderating myself.

Edited by Mole, 16 September 2016 - 01:08 PM.

#37 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:10 PM

theres no reason to use basically 90% of the weapons with ED

#38 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:18 PM

View PostKhobai, on 16 September 2016 - 02:10 PM, said:

theres no reason to use b̶a̶s̶i̶c̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶9̶0̶%̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶a̶p̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ED

FTFY

Edited by RestosIII, 16 September 2016 - 02:18 PM.

#39 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:21 PM

I stop seeing the point in a video game when players start over analyzing thins, making spread sheets, and complaining about every little detail. To each their own I guess.

#40 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:56 PM

View PostThe Potatoe Whisperer, on 16 September 2016 - 02:21 PM, said:

I stop seeing the point in a video game when players start over analyzing thins, making spread sheets, and complaining about every little detail. To each their own I guess.

That's the fun for some

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users