Continuous Beam Pulse Lasers? Would This Help Define Pulse Lasers?

30 replies to this topic

Poll: Continuous Beam Pulse Lasers? Would This Help Define Pulse Lasers? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you Support this Change as a Test?

1. Yes, (25 votes [78.12%])

Percentage of vote: 78.12%

2. No, (7 votes [21.88%])

Percentage of vote: 21.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 17 September 2016 - 07:43 AM

View PostFupDup, on 16 September 2016 - 10:37 PM, said:

To play devil's advocate...would a rapid-fire low-alpha IS LPL with 3.4 DPS and 1.2 HPS be worth it? Too strong? Too weak?

For reference, the live server is 2.81 DPS and 1.79 HPS.

It would actually be a meaningful choice compared to what we have. That's what we really need out of the different laser types: Meaningful choices.

PGI even admitted themselves that it's nearly impossible for them to make weapons like pulse lasers mean something but not be OP . . . the pendulum just swings too far one direction or the other. The big issue that PGI isn't admitting, however, is that right now the lasers are just all too similar.

Even if you look at something like a LPL with continuous 2.5-3.0 DPS and 1.5-1.75 HPS it's not a bad weapon system at all . . . whether continuous fire or rapid fire. That can still outclass what's on live (or PTS currently) for DPS:HPS ratio and provides a starkly different weapon functionality to other lasers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take what I put up on the other thread (and tweaked to prove Ultimax horribly wrong) with a LPL at 5 damage, 3.5 heat, .5 duration, and 1.5 cooldown. It will do more DPS than other Large Lasers, have a better DPS to HPS ratio than other lasers, basically PPFLD, only have about the same HPS as a ER LL (the cost of outclassing other weapons for DPS); and the application (rapid fire) is drastically different from the Standard and ER versions.

The short cooldown, in fact, also allows a better twist-shoot-twist methodology. Then you weave in your other brawling weapons (Big AC's, SRMS, etc.) on the occasional twist.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

That same kind of methodology can be applied to a continuous fire pulse laser, as well; and it grants you as much control over your face-time as you wish. You're not automatically condemning yourself to a ripped open CT just by putting the weapons to use.

#22 GreenHell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationGrandmas House

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:32 AM

I voted yes, but I'd like to add my own suggestion.

I think they should still do damage in "bolts". So maybe 1 damage per bolt? 8 DPS = 8 bolts. That kinda thing, just to keep the "flavor" of the "pulse" laser.

#23 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:34 AM

View PostGreenHell, on 17 September 2016 - 09:32 AM, said:

I voted yes, but I'd like to add my own suggestion.

I think they should still do damage in "bolts". So maybe 1 damage per bolt? 8 DPS = 8 bolts. That kinda thing, just to keep the "flavor" of the "pulse" laser.

i think thats fair like a continuous Laser, but it pulses where every pulse is a point of damage,

#24 GreenHell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationGrandmas House

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:39 AM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 17 September 2016 - 09:34 AM, said:

i think thats fair like a continuous Laser, but it pulses where every pulse is a point of damage,

Indeed. Just to keep them as a "pulsing" laser ya know?

#25 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:42 AM

View PostGreenHell, on 17 September 2016 - 09:39 AM, said:

Indeed. Just to keep them as a "pulsing" laser ya know?

ive added this to the OP, thanks for the idea,
dont be ashamed when you see your name in the OP, ;)

#26 GreenHell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationGrandmas House

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:47 AM

oh gawd... plz op... no... not on the front page...
anywhere but there......

#27 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 12:05 PM

yup the Front Page, ;)

#28 Kin3ticX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 18 September 2016 - 12:50 PM

No thanks to a MW2 throwback idea

#29 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 September 2016 - 03:39 AM

sounds like a reasonable idea.

Aren't pulse lasers supposed to be like machine gun lasers. this would fit that.

#30 Miles McQuiston

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:41 AM

I vote for a deviation from the beam mechanic and have it fire more like the current Clan AC/UAC or AC2 similar to the post. I would reduce the damage per shot significantly but increase the rate of fire. The damage would be pinpoint. Thus you would have rapid fire of small amounts of pinpoint. I would reduce the ranges on the LPL. As a start I would divide the current values of total damage by 3 and increase the ROF 3 fold. For reference the IS SPL would do 1.33 damage and fire every .75 seconds. Likewise the LPL would do 3.66 damage and fire every 1.08 seconds.

#31 Lostdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:47 AM

I have long thought it would be more interesting if pulse lasers worked like MGs in that they could be hitscan continuous fire with a small CoF. Having a bar that fills up with use that triggers a CD would be a good mechanic or heat alone may be a sufficient limiter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users